2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I guess I agree, at least while he’s hot. Brantley could get the majority of DH starts with the rest taken up by semi days off for whoever. Would be a stellar defensive outfield as well.

Marisnick has been "hot" for a quarter of a season. That's not being "hot," that's consistency.

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Jake has done so far this year but let’s slow our roll. He’s had 67 ABs. His current OPS is 300 points above his career average. At the end of the season he will be closer to his career numbers than his current numbers and that will be a good season for him. He’s a great guy to have on the bench with occasional starts. But he’s not an everyday starter.

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Don’t get me wrong, I love what Jake has done so far this year but let’s slow our roll. He’s had 67 ABs. His current OPS is 300 points above his career average. At the end of the season he will be closer to his career numbers than his current numbers and that will be a good season for him. He’s a great guy to have on the bench with occasional starts. But he’s not an everyday starter.

Whatever plan makes White sit on the bench I'm down with

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Three promotions in less than a year. Our biggest problem maybe where can we play him and Alvarez?  Neither are great in the field at 1B or LF. But that's a good problem to have. 

Yuli will most likely be gone in 2021. Hopefully one of them becomes serviceable at 1B

39 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Three promotions in less than a year. Our biggest problem maybe where can we play him and Alvarez?  Neither are great in the field at 1B or LF. But that's a good problem to have. 

We're having a lot of these good kinds of problems.

46 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Would be nice if one of Beer or Alvarez could become serviceable in LF. Springer, Reddick and Brantley are all FAs after next year. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Would be nice if one of Beer or Alvarez could become serviceable in LF. Springer, Reddick and Brantley are all FAs after next year. 

Reddick and Brantley have been awesome for us, but they're not irreplaceable. As for George, you get the big checkbook out and start writing 0's until he says "yes."

1 minute ago, Rimbo said:

Reddick and Brantley have been awesome for us, but they're not irreplaceable. As for George, you get the big checkbook out and start writing 0's until he says "yes."

They're replaceable, just saying it isn't evident as of now who those replacements may be. Tucker figures to take one of those spots. It would be nice if either Yordan or Beer could competently play the OF. 

And agree on Springer - extending him would be great, but it hasn't happened yet. 

And it’s just annoying now that Alvarez is wasting away in AAA.
I can’t believe he is still raising his average
1.400 OPS
53 RBIs
17 HRs

They’ve played 39 games.
So basically, every night he’s going to collect two hits, at least one of which is a double, and drive in at least one run. And every other night the other of his 2 hits is going to be a HR and he’s going to drive in 2 runs.