2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

MADISON BUMGARNERSP, SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS

The teams on Madison Bumgarner's no-trade list were revealed on Saturday.

Bumgarner has a limited no-trade clause that allows him to block trades to eight teams of his choice. Those teams are the Braves, Red Sox, Cubs, Astros, Brewers, Yankees, Phillies and Cardinals. It is no coincidence that those are the competitive teams most likely to want to trade for him. The composition of this list indicates that Bumgarner doesn't want to be traded. He is in the last year of his contract with the Giants and is very likely to be moved over the summer. The no-trade clause gives Bumgarner some control over where he ends up -- he can always waive the right to block a trade. Ken Rosenthal points out that being traded could help Bumgarner financially because he would no longer be subject to a qualifying offer and draft-pick compensation, which lowers the market value of free agents.

5 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Let’s start with the fact that he’s played in all 39 games this season. Secondly , he was hitting .316 through the 1st 19 games. I guess the carryover effect was a delayed reaction.

Maybe you’re right, I’m just pessimistic.  Perhaps he will regain his MVP form after all.  

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

I know it won’t happen but Altuve needs a short IR visit. He needs a reset on this season 

Agree. Go on the 10 day DL, this is the time to do it, against teams with losing records. Come back healthy and with a clear mindset.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

agreed.  just thought it was interesting and relevant.

Yes it is interesting, but I hope if we are seriously considering him we aren't waiting with minutes left in the deadline this time. Go get him right now. Why wait?

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes it is interesting, but I hope if we are seriously considering him we aren't waiting with minutes left in the deadline this time. Go get him right now. Why wait?

i would think we'd have to "overpay" to get him now.  sf likely wants to wait until they have multiple suitors.

doesn't mean we won't do it.

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m a little confused. So AJ isn’t positive that Altuve is going on the IL but Martin is coming up to start tomorrow’s game. Does that mean someone else is going down? Probably not but a little incongruous.

Not optimistic that Jose is going to avoid the IL = Jose is definitely going to the IL. 

Martin has posted great numbers in his minor league career to include a 2.31 ERA and 193 K in 179 innings. This season he has a 1.48 ERA with 28 K in 24.1 innings. He has also allowed just a .191 BAA in his minor league career.

Edited by tx 3 putt