2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, kevwun said:

Greinke would do nicely and they can use his salary to lower the prospect quality.

Greinke's one of my favorite ideas, and yes his salary can be used to offer less in return, but that salary only makes sense if Cole cannot be re-signed.  Cole seems like a straight shooter, so I'm sure he's had honest talks with the F.O. about it.

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

Fwiw MLB.com had a prediction article for deadline day which said the Astros would end up with Robbie Ray

And he's my least favorite name.  I can see him walking the bases loaded in the first inning of a World Series game.  My heart can't take it.

2 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Wouldn't you want to use better prospects to get the Dbacks to pay down part of his contract? 

It gives you options...if Lunhow prefers to acquire Greinke at a lower salary, he can give better prospects; if he prefers to keep his prospects, he can take on more salary...there is a scale to work off of that presents a lot of opportunities. 

Just now, TexArcher said:

Greinke's one of my favorite ideas, and yes his salary can be used to offer less in return, but that salary only makes sense if Cole cannot be re-signed.  Cole seems like a straight shooter, so I'm sure he's had honest talks with the F.O. about it.

I think the straight shooting Cole has done was to say “I’m not going to discuss it, you’re welcome to talk to my agent, Scott Boras, about it any time you want.”

which effectively means he’s probably not re-signing with the Astros, so I’m also on board with the Greinke idea. 

Not as enthused about the Bumgarner possibility, although for a very cheap price I’d say it would be worth taking a shot.  

10 minutes ago, Jebus said:

Not as enthused about the Bumgarner possibility, although for a very cheap price I’d say it would be worth taking a shot.  

I like Bum a lot, maybe second only to Thor.  He's turning 30 next month (Greinke's 35) and his postseason record is amazing.  People are talking about how he's not what he used to be, but he's still at 3.74 and 1.15, he doesn't walk a lot of guys, and he has an extra gear in the playoffs.  And he's relatively affordable.  Yes, please.

If we roll into next season with JV, Bum, and a healthy LMJ, I'm pretty happy.

Edited by TexArcher

7 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

I’d be pretty meh on Wheeler, but presumably the cost would be relatively low. 

Robbie Ray would be a great add IMO - if we can get him without giving up Tucker, please make this happen. 

Disagree - I'd rather have Wheeler than Ray. Ray walks way too many guys for my taste - his BB% has been over 10% each of the last 3 seasons (Wheeler is at 6.4% this year). 

Of course, Wheeler may be hurt, so who knows. 

I'm not excited about either, really. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

MadBum's a rental though. 

He has a no-trade clause that he's only going to waive if he goes to a contender who is willing to offer him a long-term deal.  Otherwise he'll stay put and go FA and get his long-term deal that way.

Disagree - I'd rather have Wheeler than Ray. Ray walks way too many guys for my taste - his BB% has been over 10% each of the last 3 seasons (Wheeler is at 6.4% this year). 

Agreed.
Ray has the potential to give you 7 strong and double-digit Ks... or, as mentioned above, be off in his mechanics and walk the bases loaded to start the game and be out by the 2nd inning. Reminds me a bit of Morton in that regard (not 2019 Morton...2017/2018 when he had a few of those starts that I can remember)

I think Wheeler is a guy they can do some magic with under Strom.

5 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

As I type that I check their advanced stats on Fan Graphs, and Wheeler’s 2019 projections on FIP and xFIP are better. So don’t listen to me, I have no idea what I’m talking about. 

Seems like Strom could do wonders with Ray given his K/9 numbers. 

Not sure how much they can help him this season. Next year, sure.

He has a no-trade clause that he's only going to waive if he goes to a contender who is willing to offer him a long-term deal.  Otherwise he'll stay put and go FA and get his long-term deal that way.

He can posture all he wants but he’s an idiot if he doesn’t accept a trade
Keuchel/Kimbrel/QO out front should have told him

3 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The Astros aren’t likely to offer him a long term deal though.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Maybe - but he stands to benefit from being traded heading into free agency...by changing teams, he can't receive a QO, and thus any team could sign him after the season without having to forfeit a draft pick. It's no coincidence that Keuchel and Kimbrel were signed halfway through this season, as soon as they were no longer tied to draft pick compensation. 

Changing teams only helps him from the standpoint of his pending free agency. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Agreed.
Ray has the potential to give you 7 strong and double-digit Ks... or, as mentioned above, be off in his mechanics and walk the bases loaded to start the game and be out by the 2nd inning. Reminds me a bit of Morton in that regard (not 2019 Morton...2017/2018 when he had a few of those starts that I can remember)

I think Wheeler is a guy they can do some magic with under Strom.

He's just not very efficient and gets worn down easily.  Could be useful as a 4th starter in the playoffs where he will only pitch 3-4 innings but who knows what he gives you next year with him already losing velo this season.

20 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

The Astros aren’t likely to offer him a long term deal though.

Why not, if Cole is gone?

Or, hell, could we make a move for Wheeler now then try to add Bum as a FA if the price is right?

I love Cole, but could we end up with Wheeler and Bum for roughly the same yearly price tag on a new Cole deal?

33 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Ray has the potential to give you 7 strong and double-digit Ks... or, as mentioned above, be off in his mechanics and walk the bases loaded to start the game and be out by the 2nd inning.

Exactly.  I don't want to have to trust a high BB/9 guy in high pressure spots.  Ray also doesn't pitch deep into games.  His ceiling is good, but his floor scares me more than all of the others.

Edited by TexArcher

15 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Why not, if Cole is gone?

Or, hell, could we make a move for Wheeler now then try to add Bum as a FA if the price is right?

I love Cole, but could we end up with Wheeler and Bum for roughly the same yearly price tag on a new Cole deal?

Because they aren’t likely to give a long term deal to any starting pitcher, especially one north of 30 with the evidence of decline Bumgarner has shown. This is his last chance at a big contract, and he has to hope some team will overpay based on his name alone. The Astros won’t be that team.

Im not saying it’s impossible m if the price is right, as you said - if other teams have truly caught on to not giving aging pitchers big long term contracts. But I’m skeptical of that; some owner will just see “Madison Bungarner” and want him (never mind that he’s never actually been as consistently good as his myth suggests). If anyone offers that, it won’t be Houston.