2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20203cedd9b096cade182d8ffcc4c3f332de.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Why do we play the Red Sox 6 times in 10 days at the end of May again just like this year?
I guess not that big of a deal but still weird

Yanks at end of sept could be reminiscent of 2017 when we played Red Sox at the end of season and then the LDS

Also, I thought we played the Rockies every year...are we back to Arizona???

In summary, f selig

3 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thread on Osuna's recent struggles:

I was telling Mez that Osuna relies on batters to chase his pitch. Where as Presley can throw in the strike zone and still strike batters out. I just got a strange look.

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

That will be a great time to go.
Went mid-August last year when they played the Tigers.
Nice ballpark and really enjoyed Minneapolis.

I’m already planning the Minnesota trip for next July. I went in August 2015 and had a great time with some friends. Great weather that time of year, there and really nice stadium. I like downtown ballparks where you can stay, eat/drink, and watch the games without having to rent a car. 

18 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

double-headers are hard to sweep (unless you're the yankees playing baltimore) but if i'm gonna try, might as well have greinke and cole on the bump.

Or unless they are played at Minute Maid

Edited by Ichabod

I’m already planning the Minnesota trip for next July. I went in August 2015 and had a great time with some friends. Great weather that time of year, there and really nice stadium. I like downtown ballparks where you can stay, eat/drink, and watch the games without having to rent a car. 

Yeah all of this
We hit up some nice restaurants and a cool little speakeasy among other things (including catching a preseason Viking game. US Bank Stadium is incredible)
Will post some notes whenever I have a few minutes

It seems like we talk about the Minnesota series every year that the schedule comes out.  Since seeing this:

CNeCJOlWcAAQVGC.0.0.jpg

I've wanted to go when we play during the State Fair again to see how Minnesota's stacks up.  One advantage it has is no okies.  Their fair is the 2nd half of August though, so we miss it again next year.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

It seems like we talk about the Minnesota series every year that the schedule comes out.  Since seeing this:

CNeCJOlWcAAQVGC.0.0.jpg

I've wanted to go when we play during the State Fair again to see how Minnesota's stacks up.  One advantage it has is no okies.  Their fair is the 2nd half of August though, so we miss it again next year.

The thing I remember about the Minnesota State Fair when I went is that for $1, you got all you can drink milk or choco milk.  You just had to stand at the front of the line and pound it.  They jacked up the price to $2 a few years ago.

They have the usual butter sculptures, fried food, etc. 

19 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Seems unnecessary to have the deal last for a week. I'm sure there will be 100 people lined up to purchase one before the store even opens on Saturday.

Not that I want to see him on the mound for the Astros again any time soon, but this is a positive sign.

Tucker added 2 more HRs in that game and 4 RBI
Now at 32 and 91 for the year.

September will be interesting shuffling around the outfield balancing “rest” for the regulars while giving Tucker a chance to potentially audition for October.

witness

https://www.mlb.com/news/rookie-of-the-year-poll-alvarez-alonso-lead

Spoiler
By Richard Justice  @RichardJustice
2:00 AM EDT
  • Facebook Share
  • Twitter Share
  • Email
  • Copy Link

The Astros had already played 66 games by the time 22-year-old Yordan Alvarez stepped into the batter’s box for his Major League debut, on June 9 at Minute Maid Park. He homered in his second at-bat that night, thus beginning what has been an electrifying 46-game start to his career: 17 home runs, 51 RBIs and a 1.164 OPS.

Now, a little more than two months later, Alvarez has risen to the top of MLB.com's latest American League Rookie of the Year poll. He received 40 of 42 first-place votes to end Rays second baseman Brandon Lowe’s season-long run in the top spot.

Alvarez's slam makes it 20-1

Alvarez's slam makes it 20-100:27Aug. 10th, 2019

Meanwhile, the National League race is almost a dead heat, with Mets first baseman Pete Alonso holding a slight lead over Padres shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr. Tatis had more first-place votes than Alonso (21-19), but Alonso finished with more points (166-160).

Alonso slumped for a couple of weeks after the All-Star break but has bounced back nicely in August, with four home runs and a 1.006 OPS in 11 games.

As for the 20-year-old Tatis, in 56 games since returning from the injured list, he has affected games in all sorts of ways, with 16 homers, eight doubles and five triples through Tuesday.

Tatis Jr.'s 1st career triple

Tatis Jr.'s 1st career triple00:23Apr. 20th, 2019

For the season, he’s hitting .315 with 22 home runs and a .969 OPS in 83 games. He began the year as MLB Pipeline’s No. 2 prospect and has fulfilled just about every expectation the Padres could have had for him.

(This poll was done by asking MLB.com reporters to rank their top three choices in each league, with five points awarded for a first-place vote, three for second place and one for third place. Forty-four votes were cast for NL players, 43 for AL players.)

AMERICAN LEAGUE

1) Yordan Alvarez (40 first-place votes): His 51 RBIs in 46 games are the most in Major League history, surpassing the previous mark of 47 in 45 games by Ted Williams in 1939. Alvarez's 17 home runs in his first 46 games are an Astros record, beating George Springer’s mark of 11 in 45 games, set in 2014.

2) Brandon Lowe (0 first-place votes): Despite missing the last 33 games with a bruised right shin, the All-Star second baseman is still fourth among AL rookies in three significant categories: hits (77), home runs (16) and OPS (.875).

3) John Means (2 first-place votes): He was the first homegrown Orioles starting pitcher to make the AL All-Star team since Hall of Famer Mike Mussina did it five times, most recently in 1999. He was the fifth Orioles rookie -- and the first since 1966 -- to be named an All-Star.

Means K's Higashioka, the side

Means K's Higashioka, the side00:06Aug. 7th, 2019

Others receiving votes: Oscar Mercado (1 first place vote), Vladimir Guerrero Jr., Luis Alvarez, Zach Plesac