2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

4 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It's frustrating that we've been so bad at DH, given the strong farm system we've had. You could throw 1B in there too (I'm not a Yuli fan). I know neither SIngleton nor Reed worked out, but damn, we have to do better than Evan Gattis at DH. I think White can be better, but not sure. I'm hoping Alvarez gets the next crack at it if he keep hitting and White struggles. 

What replacement 1B do you have in mind?  Among all first basemen, Yuli's stats are pretty good.
Average - 2nd
RBIs - 7th
OPS - 14
WAR - 11
OBP - 15

This year, he's not as good so far, but its still early.  The only real knock against him is that he doesn't walk much.  However, he doesn't strike out much either.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

What replacement 1B do you have in mind?  Among all first basemen, Yuli's stats are pretty good.
Average - 2nd
RBIs - 7th
OPS - 14
WAR - 11
OBP - 15

This year, he's not as good so far, but its still early.  The only real knock against him is that he doesn't walk much.  However, he doesn't strike out much either.

Oh, I'm not saying we have a better internal option; I'm just saying that he's not a particularly good 1B; he's an average regular at 1B. Here are his rankings over his two full seasons among all 1B:

fWAR - 2.9 (14th)

wRC+ - 113 (12th)

HR - 31 (19th)

OBP - .327 (14th)

SLG - .457 (11th)

Grounding into Double Plays - 34 (5th)

He's fine. He's had some big hits. He'd be a good player if he could draw more walks and stop hitting into so many double plays. As it is, he's a pretty average player. 

22 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Oh, I'm not saying we have a better internal option; I'm just saying that he's not a particularly good 1B; he's an average regular at 1B. Here are his rankings over his two full seasons among all 1B:

fWAR - 2.9 (14th)

wRC+ - 113 (12th)

HR - 31 (19th)

OBP - .327 (14th)

SLG - .457 (11th)

He's fine. He's had some big hits. He'd be a good player if he could draw more walks and stop hitting into so many double plays. As it is, he's a pretty average player. 

I don't know if he's even an average player anymore - ZiPS has him around 1 WAR for the full season.  I could see them trying to get Abrue for cheap at the deadline.

25 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

fWAR - 2.9 (14th)

wRC+ - 113 (12th)

HR - 31 (19th)

OBP - .327 (14th)

SLG - .457 (11th)

The whole team has a problem with GIDP.  Yuli did lead the team in it last year, but Altuve led in 2017.  The 2018 Astros had 7 players with double digit GIDP.  For comparison, the Indians had 4, and Brantley led their team in it, and currently leads the Astros.

1 hour ago, Fozzz said:

I don't know if he's even an average player anymore - ZiPS has him around 1 WAR for the full season.  I could see them trying to get Abrue for cheap at the deadline.

That’s if you buy zips projection vs. attributing some of his power decline last year to the hamate injury. Given 5 of his 13 HR were in Sept/Oct, I lean that way.

At any rate, I feel Yuli should be thought of more as a utility player who happens to be at 1st by necessity, a la Marwin. In that light, he’s just fine.

Edited by formermav43

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

The whole team has a problem with GIDP.  Yuli did lead the team in it last year, but Altuve led in 2017.  The 2018 Astros had 7 players with double digit GIDP.  For comparison, the Indians had 4, and Brantley led their team in it, and currently leads the Astros.

Can't hit into a dp without runners on base

8 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

It's frustrating that we've been so bad at DH, given the strong farm system we've had. You could throw 1B in there too (I'm not a Yuli fan). I know neither SIngleton nor Reed worked out, but damn, we have to do better than Evan Gattis at DH. I think White can be better, but not sure. I'm hoping Alvarez gets the next crack at it if he keep hitting and White struggles. 

Naa. I don’t think we have ever fully committed to the position as a stand-alone.

Our position has been to have a guy who plays multiple roles or used as a “day off” for everyday players (and at bats for platoon guys).  

Our staff seems to not want to give up on anyone of our young guys as complete players or we just haven’t found that P Cerrano who can also hit a curve but fields like Dorn in our system yet. We certainly haven’t even attempted to address the position in free agency. 

IMO the Astros simply don’t see the DH as a stand alone position.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich

4 hours ago, Mez2 said:

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Average - 2nd
RBIs - 7th
OPS - 14
WAR - 11
OBP - 15

Yuli is alright in my book.  I remember two years ago when people were complaining about his defense, but really he holds it down pretty good over at 1B.  Sure, it would be nice to see him hit a few more HR's, but he has a way of coming through in the clutch without hitting HRs.  Then again, the HR he hit in Game 5 of the World Series to tie it up at 4-4 was kind of big.

Professional hitter.  You don't want to get rid of those kind of guys.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

2017 was an anomaly because we had so many guys on base and so few strikeouts.  I figure that leads to more DP opportunities.

Just my gut feeling from watching a lot of games, but it’s a toss-up for me as to who I would rather have at the plate in a high leverage AB - Bregs or Yuli.  Now that he is healthy, Correa is re-entering the conversation, too.

Bregs and Yuli seem to be immune to pressure and even thrive on it.  Yuli won me over in a mid-season game in 2017 when he nonchalantly laced a liner into the left field corner against Chapman to beat the Yankees late.  I was not shocked to see him do his worst damage in the World Series.  How can you not love a player like that?

1 hour ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Naa. I don’t think we have ever fully committed to the position as a stand-alone.

Our position has been to have a guy who plays multiple roles or used as a “day off” for everyday players (and at bats for platoon guys).  

Our staff seems to not want to give up on anyone of our young guys as complete players or we just haven’t found that P Cerrano who can also hit a curve but fields like Dorn in our system yet. We certainly haven’t even attempted to address the position in free agency. 

IMO the Astros simply don’t see the DH as a stand alone position.  

I like the idea of roster flexibility with guys that can play positions, but Evan Gattis was almost exclusively a DH; he had one year out of four in which he caught a good number of games.  

I guess White can play third, but he's mostly a 1B/DH type. If that's your position, you really need to be able to hit. 

36 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Just my gut feeling from watching a lot of games, but it’s a toss-up for me as to who I would rather have at the plate in a high leverage AB - Bregs or Yuli.  Now that he is healthy, Correa is re-entering the conversation, too.

Bregs and Yuli seem to be immune to pressure and even thrive on it.  Yuli won me over in a mid-season game in 2017 when he nonchalantly laced a liner into the left field corner against Chapman to beat the Yankees late.  I was not shocked to see him do his worst damage in the World Series.  How can you not love a player like that?

I'm mostly not a huge Yuli fan because he isn't a good on-base guy (.324 career) - i.e., he makes a lot of outs, compounded by his propensity to hit into double plays. For a guy with mediocre power who provides mediocre defense, that's not very good. If he was a more disciplined hitter and drew more walks, I'd be a bigger fan. 

Don't get me wrong - he's an Astro and I hope he kicks ass; I just find him frustrating because he swings at too many bad pitches, which limits what he can do offensively. 

38 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I like the idea of roster flexibility with guys that can play positions, but Evan Gattis was almost exclusively a DH; he had one year out of four in which he caught a good number of games.  

I guess White can play third, but he's mostly a 1B/DH type. If that's your position, you really need to be able to hit. 

Can’t disagree but I think they fully intended for him to play a position or back up catcher and he wasn’t good at either. He also was inconsistent at DH which made him expendable. 

I don’t think we originally made that move knowing he was dog shit at any position, and their multiple attempts to find him a position support this thought. 

I feel we came to that conclusion during his time with the club. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Yuli is average to above average as a hitter. If he was one of our best then he’d be a problem. But we have 5 that are better in the lineup. We’re not going to have excellent at every position. DH and catcher are the weakest position and catcher is what it it. We’re fine.