2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Alex Bregman said an MRI on his right hamstring revealed nothing similar to his 2016 injury. He reiterated he is day to day and does not know when he may return. “They were struggling to find anything (wrong),” Bregman said of his doctor’s visit. “Maybe I’m soft.”

58 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Sweeping the Yankees will never get boring.

Never. It's my two favorite things in baseball happening three times in a row: The Astros winning, and the Yankees losing.

Seems like the bats have woken up. And dang... McHugh is DEALING so far. 

On 4/9/2019 at 10:37 PM, Scraps said:

Going undefeated at home would be cool and stuff

On 4/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, TexArcher said:

Come on, man.  Be realistic.  78-3 at home is our ceiling.

On 4/9/2019 at 11:36 PM, UTexasFight said:

Maybe
But on pace for the 81.
Number don’t lie.

Still true

Saw him (Yordan) last night for the first time and, like Whitley, looks the part for the next level. Now.

Dude is a monster. Seriously, he’s built like a linebacker. Only thing I see keeping him off the big league roster at some point this year is a) injury, b) a violation of the league’s.... Nevermind.

But seriously that is not what normal 21 yo’s look like. Normal 21 yo’s look like...Tucker (well, he’s technically 22 now). Doesn’t look like he put on any muscle in the offseason and is so lost at the plate right now. Ofer tonight has him down to .091 (only 7 games though) but his swing looked rough. Long and loopy. Hopefully just a slow starter and gets dialed in as the temperature starts to rise

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Saw him (Yordan) last night for the first time and, like Whitley, looks the part for the next level. Now.

Dude is a monster. Seriously, he’s built like a linebacker. Only thing I see keeping him off the big league roster at some point this year is a) injury, b) a violation of the league’s.... Nevermind.

But seriously that is not what normal 21 yo’s look like. Normal 21 yo’s look like...Tucker (well, he’s technically 22 now). Doesn’t look like he put on any muscle in the offseason and is so lost at the plate right now. Ofer tonight has him down to .091 (only 7 games though) but his swing looked rough. Long and loopy. Hopefully just a slow starter and gets dialed in as the temperature starts to rise

It is interesting to do a compare / contrast of Tucker's long, loopy swing and Bregman's model display of bat swing efficiency.

10 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

So why can’t Tanielu ever make it up? Seems like he just hits

Altuve hit his 5th home run on June 8th last year.

He hit .289/.337/.412 as a 25 year-old in the PCL last year, which is about what he did in AA. I like the guy, but it's not like he's torn it up in AA/AAA.

3 hours ago, Fozzz said:

He plays LF, although I don't know if the Astros will want to have him out there that often.  I think they will take their time calling him up unless he's needed due to injuries.

in a perfect world, he would come up and play left, and we would move brantley to a more consistent dh as part of our general rotation.

but since it sounds like he's more of a 1b/dh type (and not a very good outfielder), i would guess it's just the matter of when the front office is ready to admit he's a better option than tyler white.  it should be a 1-on-1 comp as far as i'm concerned.  white's upside isn't great, and even though he's had hot stretches, i would like more consistency out of the position that's supposed to only be good at hitting the fucking ball.  can you imagine a big, scary power hitter slotted in the 6/7 hole?  yes please.

side question - is beer pretty much the same mold?  is one going to block the other?  would be nice if he could have a really good season and become a trade piece.

side question - is beer pretty much the same mold?  is one going to block the other?  would be nice if he could have a really good season and become a trade piece.

As I read the first part of your post this is exactly what was running through my mind.

But these things seem to find a way to work themselves out.

There was time we didn’t know exactly where Bregs was going to play because Correa was “blocking” him

27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

As I read the first part of your post this is exactly what was running through my mind.

But these things seem to find a way to work themselves out.

There was time we didn’t know exactly where Bregs was going to play because Correa was “blocking” him

Yuli will be a free agent in 2021 at the age of 37. That would solve the problem if Beer and Alvarez turn out to be good.

• Like 1

Guduan would be by guess. That gives them a lefty to replace Valdez, and he actually outplayed him in the Spring anyway. They don’t need the potential length Valdez offers over the next couple of weeks with Peacock back there.

Id be shocked if it’s a position player, given 1) Bregman’s injury doesn’t seem serious and 2) we already are carrying more position players than normal and having trouble finding at bats for them. Yuli and Diaz can both play 3rd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rvm96 said:

Yuli will be a free agent in 2021 at the age of 37. That would solve the problem if Beer and Alvarez turn out to be good.

very good point.  they're both young (21/22) and still will be in 2021.

obviously, you want to see everyone have good seasons, be blocked, and turned into difference makers.  but this is a perfectly viable "back-up" plan.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

An Alvarez for White swap is very intriguing 

or better yet, trade white for some younger prospects 

The only thing you're getting for Tyler White is some cheese enchiladas with lots of onions and a guacamole salet. 

3 teams in the AL West currently on 6 game win streaks. This division is off to a hot start

Ehhh
While factually true, not all 6 game winning streaks are created equal.
I’lll tip my cap to the Angels for a 3 game sweep of the Brewers. Their other 3 wins were against the dick grabbers.
M’s have 6 in a row against the White Sox and Royals.

I look forward to our 9 game streak and M’s new 3 game losing streak come Sunday evening and being only a game back.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mez2 said:

The only thing you're getting for Tyler White is some cheese enchiladas with lots of onions and a guacamole salet. 

throw a fried egg on that and you have yourself a deal!

actually this is an interesting read about the DH

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/4/12/18306337/after-six-years-in-the-al-the-astros-are-still-learning-how-to-use-the-designated-hitter

basically we've sucked at DH for most of our AL tenure. However this year, spreading out the DH spot to 5 different players, our DH as a position has a wRC+ of 142, good for 4th in the AL. Of course there's the obvious caveat of small sample size and all that.

Houston Astros DH: The First 6 Years

Year Games with DH BA OBP SLG OPS wRC+ Player with Most DH Starts % of DH starts by Leading Player
2013 152 0.198 0.276 0.337 0.613 70 Carter 31%
2014 152 0.243 0.315 0.494 0.809 131 Carter 77%
2015 152 0.247 0.294 0.46 0.753 105 Gattis 89%
2016 152 0.218 0.299 0.378 0.677 87 Gattis 47%
2017 152 0.224 0.283 0.382 0.665 79 Beltran 70%
2018 152 0.24 0.299 0.451 0.75 104 Gattis 70%

I was actually surprised it was so high (read:average) last year.

Edited by Viper

59 minutes ago, Viper said:

throw a fried egg on that and you have yourself a deal!

actually this is an interesting read about the DH

https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/4/12/18306337/after-six-years-in-the-al-the-astros-are-still-learning-how-to-use-the-designated-hitter

basically we've sucked at DH for most of our AL tenure. However this year, spreading out the DH spot to 5 different players, our DH as a position has a wRC+ of 142, good for 4th in the AL. Of course there's the obvious caveat of small sample size and all that.

Houston Astros DH: The First 6 Years

Year Games with DH BA OBP SLG OPS wRC+ Player with Most DH Starts % of DH starts by Leading Player
2013 152 0.198 0.276 0.337 0.613 70 Carter 31%
2014 152 0.243 0.315 0.494 0.809 131 Carter 77%
2015 152 0.247 0.294 0.46 0.753 105 Gattis 89%
2016 152 0.218 0.299 0.378 0.677 87 Gattis 47%
2017 152 0.224 0.283 0.382 0.665 79 Beltran 70%
2018 152 0.24 0.299 0.451 0.75 104 Gattis 70%

I was actually surprised it was so high (read:average) last year.

It's frustrating that we've been so bad at DH, given the strong farm system we've had. You could throw 1B in there too (I'm not a Yuli fan). I know neither SIngleton nor Reed worked out, but damn, we have to do better than Evan Gattis at DH. I think White can be better, but not sure. I'm hoping Alvarez gets the next crack at it if he keep hitting and White struggles. 

They will be in a much better position this summer when Alvarez has a few hundred PA to determine which of Alvarez and White will likely perform better this fall.  White performed at a much higher level than Alvarez last year in AAA, and White also performed quite well with the Astros.  There's just not much to glean from White's first 25 PA this season.

• Like 1