SC girl is murdered after getting in wrong car

ajax

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Three women in California who say they were raped by men posing as Uber drivers have filed a lawsuit against the company claiming they were not warned about fake rideshare drivers targeting women leaving bars and nightclubs in the Los Angeles area.

The suit was filed Friday in Los Angeles County Superior Court and accuses Uber Technologies Inc. of negligence.

According to the suit, Uber was told by authorities in Los Angeles that fake drivers were luring inebriated women into their cars and then sexually assaulting them. Uber was made aware of the alleged assaults as early as 2016, the suit alleges.

"The unwitting public, and in particular women looking for a safe ride home, have been lulled into believing that the Uber App summons a safe means of transportation," the lawsuit said. "Instead, once the Uber app has been engaged, single female passengers leaving crowded nightclub/bar/restaurant locations become vulnerable to the fake Uber scheme."

The women hailed a driver through the Uber app and instead got into the wrong vehicle of a man purporting to be a driver.

Two of the women — identified as Jane Doe 1, a resident of Culver City, and Jane Doe 3, a resident of Van Nuys — were allegedly raped by the same man posing as an Uber driver, according to the lawsuit. Jane Doe 1's assault happened in June 2017 and Jane Doe 3's in February 2018. Both women had left the same West Hollywood club when they were lured into a car they believed was their Uber ride, the suit states.

Jane Doe 2, of Alhambra, was abducted and raped by a man in December 2017 after leaving a club in Los Angeles, according to the suit.

Uber said in a statement Tuesday that it has been working with law enforcement for several years on how passengers can protect themselves against fake drivers.

"In 2017, we launched a national campaign to remind riders to make sure they get in the right car by checking the information, like the license plate and car make and model, shown in the app," an Uber spokesperson said. "These important reminders have been part of our safety tips, and our law enforcement team regularly discusses this issue with agencies across the country.”

The lawsuit claims that six weeks before Jane Doe 1 was attacked, Uber was made aware of an alleged assault involving another woman. NBC News has not been able to verify the specifics of this lawsuit.

"Using the advanced GPS technology available on the Uber App, the Uber Defendants could have easily warned Uber passengers in the known danger zones directly through the Uber App in an Amber Alert style warning and could have targeted warnings by location," the suit states.

All three women say they suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder and have experienced "symptoms consistent with rape trauma syndrome."

The lawsuit comes a week after South Carolina college student Samantha Josephson was killed after getting into a car she believed was her Uber ride. Nathaniel D. Rowland, 25, was arrested and charged with kidnapping and murder in her death. He has not entered a plea.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/women-sue-uber-not-warning-sexual-assaults-fake-drivers-n992506

Uber's legal team right now

z761q.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

This hits close to home.  I had three bimbos try to get into my car on Saturday night when I pulled up to drop it off with the valet at Arlo Grey because they thought I was their Uber.  

The correct response... Heeeeeeelllllowwww laaaay-deeeees..........

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

This hits close to home.  I had three bimbos try to get into my car on Saturday night when I pulled up to drop it off with the valet at Arlo Grey because they thought I was their Uber.  

Should’ve hit it w/ all 3, in your home 

It is literally impossible to catch this guy.  Obviously he is using hacking software to see into these womens phones prior to pickup so that he could match not only the pickup car profile, the licence plate and using something out of mission impossible, the ability to look exactly like the driver in the app photo.

On 4/1/2019 at 8:17 PM, mulletpelini said:

For you, and me, and most men on here.

Not someone who is completely unaware of their surroundings, not paying attention and probably staring down into their phone.  Add in no logic and drunk, there you go.

how-do-you-write-women-so-well-l-think-o

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

He's got the James Bond plates that flip dude. Thing is, he has a micro 3d printer and painter that manufacturers the plates after hacking the app. Sure he could just modify the message sent to the victim, but he couldn't use his cool 3d printer and license plate flipper 

Rapists in Disguise?

On 4/4/2019 at 10:27 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm not a big user of Uber/Lyft but the anecdotal evidence is that they do have a problem with people jumping into the wrong cars. Seems like they should address that operational problem which also improve safety.

I would recommend they create a QR code sticker and place it on the side windows. Then give the rider the OPTIONAL measure to scan it before they get in. It effectively duplicates the process of looking at the license plate.

This doesn't prevent a murderer from pretending to be an uber driver. Which no one is suggesting they can prevent that. 

The only way to prevent people from jumping in the wrong uber is to not allow a transaction from anyone other than the person who they are picking up. Outside of that people are going to step outside the operating procedures to make money.

Edited by Thatguy

16 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The only way to prevent people from jumping in the wrong uber is to not allow a transaction from anyone other than the person who they are picking up. Outside of that people are going to step outside the operating procedures to make money.

Yes Uber isn’t responsible if riders and drivers decide to transact outside of the system. The only people that are saying otherwise are people playing the victim card that SJWs are asking for that.   However they aren’t. 

Fyi, i did read that Uber is changing their notifications to remind and highlight the driver info even more.  I’m sure some are angry at Uber for this.

13 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes Uber isn’t responsible if riders and drivers decide to transact outside of the system. The only people that are saying otherwise are people playing the victim card that SJWs are asking for that.   However they aren’t. 

Fyi, i did read that Uber is changing their notifications to remind and highlight the driver info even more.  I’m sure some are angry at Uber for this.

And that's the thing. As long as that is allowed people will gladly steal someone's Uber with promises of a big tip and such. Stop the ability to do that, and you stop the people from jumping in the first Uber they see. It's as simple as dropping the driver from Uber if they cancel the ride they agreed to take.

28 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Maybe when you get in the car an alarm /alert will sound on your phone, that you've gotten in the actual Uber vehicle ?? 

Kind of like when you're backing up, the beeping gets faster and faster the closer you are to whatever is behind the car. Use GPS and Bluetooth or something to link the driver and passenger.

4 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Kind of like when you're backing up, the beeping gets faster and faster the closer you are to whatever is behind the car. Use GPS and Bluetooth or something to link the driver and passenger.

Except after a big game or closing time at big bar areas that could get annoying as fuck. I mean it might work but I can imagine some drawbacks with hundreds of beeps all sounding the same...

53 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, you only need one alert sound on your phone when you walk up to the correct car.

My idea was bad, I wasn't thinking clearly. It would need to be something a chick couldn't fuck up. The beeping thing...some girl would think it WAS like the sound in the car and think you need to be walking backwards to find the Uber driver.

Equip all Uber users with EMPs. That way, if a rider or driver is ever uncomfortable, they can escape on foot through the post-apocalyptic hellscape. 

It’s weird to see the internal battles so many posters are fighting show up here. I suspect that Uber and Lyft developers were immediately thinking of ways to make it more idiot proof, not because they were at fault or even for public relations, but because people who like to solve problems like to solve problems.

• Like 1

Just to address the question of responsibility in this situation - Uber wasn't responsible. The girl wasn't responsible.

The sole responsibility is with guy who decided to let her think she was in an Uber then raped and killed her. 100%.

I want to be clear because these conversations often go the way of "well, if she hadn't been drinking so much this wouldn't have happened" and so on. And I'm not saying that her alcohol consumption or some other distraction did not contribute to her not paying attention. But she could've gotten into 99.9% of the cars that drove past her that night and she wouldn't have been harmed. 

I'm sure Uber/Lyft can implement some additional safety features like the ones already mentioned in this thread, and maybe they'll even save some lives. But at the end of the day, this was senseless and random, and even with additional precautions it could've (likely would've, if the killer was sufficiently motivated) ended the same way. 

On the point about carrying some kind of weapon, I'm a fan of pepper spray. I carry it everywhere for reasons I've explained on other threads. While a CHL is an option, I guess, my thought process was "what can I get that will cause the least harm and be the most effective against an attacker?" Pepper spray works and you don't have to worry about killing anyone.

• Like 1

If you think this guy decided to rape and murder her the second she got in the car, your sadly mistaken.  He knew exactly what he was doing and if it wasn't her, it would have been someone else.  I'd guarantee you he sat there multiple times, waiting for this exact scenario to play out.  The only random part about it was her.

Every woman should carry pepper spray and know exactly how to use it, period.

3 hours ago, austingirl said:

Just to address the question of responsibility in this situation - Uber wasn't responsible. The girl wasn't responsible.

The sole responsibility is with guy who decided to let her think she was in an Uber then raped and killed her. 100%.

I want to be clear because these conversations often go the way of "well, if she hadn't been drinking so much this wouldn't have happened" and so on. And I'm not saying that her alcohol consumption or some other distraction did not contribute to her not paying attention. But she could've gotten into 99.9% of the cars that drove past her that night and she wouldn't have been harmed. 

I'm sure Uber/Lyft can implement some additional safety features like the ones already mentioned in this thread, and maybe they'll even save some lives. But at the end of the day, this was senseless and random, and even with additional precautions it could've (likely would've, if the killer was sufficiently motivated) ended the same way. 

On the point about carrying some kind of weapon, I'm a fan of pepper spray. I carry it everywhere for reasons I've explained on other threads. While a CHL is an option, I guess, my thought process was "what can I get that will cause the least harm and be the most effective against an attacker?" Pepper spray works and you don't have to worry about killing anyone.

Sorry, the responsibility for ones safety rests with the individual. He's responsible for raping and murdering her to be sure. She's responsible for getting in the wrong  car.  You can't remove self responsibility from the equation.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Sorry, the responsibility for ones safety rests with the individual. He's responsible for raping and murdering her to be sure. She's responsible for getting in the wrong  car.  You can't remove self responsibility from the equation.

I'm going to guess that 1000s of people per day (hour?) get into the wrong Uber or a similar car.   Lyft and Uber are addressing it to improve operations and safety, including the safety of their drivers.  

This guy was most likely counting on a woman making this mistake. It’s no different that some rapist going out looking for a woman walking down the street alone.  While everyone should exercise good judgement, the victim bears zero responsibility for the crime.  No other point is necessary.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm going to guess that 1000s of people per day (hour?) get into the wrong Uber or a similar car.   Lyft and Uber are addressing it to improve operations and safety, including the safety of their drivers.  

This guy was most likely counting on a woman making this mistake. It’s no different that some rapist going out looking for a woman walking down the street alone.  While everyone should exercise good judgement, the victim bears zero responsibility for the crime.  No other point is necessary.

1000's per day ?  Doubtful.  Everyone bears responsibility for their own safety.  So yeah the point does need to be made.  It's your responsibility to look out for your own safety.

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

A modicum of situational awareness can go a very long way.

To convince anyone of this is extremely difficult and they accuse you of being paranoid or of living in fear.

All she needed to do was look at her phone, look at the car, the license number, ask the driver his name. Any of those 3 would have been red flags. So this whole it's not her responsibility BS is just that.  Typical of the it's not your fault generation.

If anyone here is preaching otherwise to their own kids they're irresponsible parents.

• Like 1

Just now, BurntEyes said:

I prefer a slight distinction between words here and perhaps I'm getting into semantics but I prefer accountable as opposed to responsible.

Yes, the man is clearly responsible for committing the murder.

However, we are, as individuals with free will, accountable for choices we make in life.

YOU and you alone are responsible for your own safety once you're old enough to be out on the street alone. The guy who murdered her is most definitely responsible for murder, but that in no way excuses her irresponsibility for her own safety.

Accountable, and responsible mean pretty much the same thing in this instance IMO.

3 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Right, and all of your examples would easily fall into the realm of a modicum of situational awareness.

She's also accountable for choices she made that put her in the situation. Of those choices was the inability or willingness to confirm she was getting into the right vehicle.

I believe we are in agreement.

I believe so, we are quibbling over semantics.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

YOU and you alone are responsible for your own safety once you're old enough to be out on the street alone. The guy who murdered her is most definitely responsible for murder, but that in no way excuses her irresponsibility for her own safety.

Accountable, and responsible mean pretty much the same thing in this instance IMO.

Do you think the girl that Brock Turner raped was responsible for what happened to her?

4 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

A modicum of situational awareness can go a very long way.

To convince anyone of this is extremely difficult and they accuse you of being paranoid or of living in fear.

Whenever someone lectures me about the importance of situational awareness, I yell “LOOK OUT!” and excitedly point behind them.  When they turn around to nullify the threat with karate, I steal their sandwich.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I don't know the circumstances of the incident. 

Your question is a loaded one. 

1 hour ago, ajax said:

You can't be serious with that shit

I'm asking because in both cases, the girls were drunk beyond the point of being able to evaluate their surroundings and make decisions that would improve their safety. They both got that drunk, I'm guessing, because they thought they would be safe where they were and could do so without worrying about being taken advantage of. Obviously they both were wrong. In the BT case, I heard a lot of "She shouldn't have gotten so drunk she passed out at a party." Well, sure. Samantha Josephson should have checked the license plate of the car before getting in it, but she was likely too incapacitated to think about it. I don't think that makes her any more responsible for what happened to her than the woman Brock Turner raped. They both got shitfaced and made poor choices which, 99% of the time, would not have resulted in them being assaulted. They just sadly happened to be around people who took advantage of them.

15 minutes ago, austingirl said:

I'm asking because in both cases, the girls were drunk beyond the point of being able to evaluate their surroundings and make decisions that would improve their safety. They both got that drunk, I'm guessing, because they thought they would be safe where they were and could do so without worrying about being taken advantage of. Obviously they both were wrong. In the BT case, I heard a lot of "She shouldn't have gotten so drunk she passed out at a party." Well, sure. Samantha Josephson should have checked the license plate of the car before getting in it, but she was likely too incapacitated to think about it. I don't think that makes her any more responsible for what happened to her than the woman Brock Turner raped. They both got shitfaced and made poor choices which, 99% of the time, would not have resulted in them being assaulted. They just sadly happened to be around people who took advantage of them.

Look, drunk or not, it's your responsibililty to check your surroundings. Uber and Lyft both have 3 sets of data to verify you're in the correct car. She apparently didn't check them. It was her fault. Not Ubers or Lyfts. 

4 hours ago, austingirl said:

Do you think the girl that Brock Turner raped was responsible for what happened to her?

I don't think either girl was responsible for what happened but trying to hold Uber/Lyft accountable would be like arguing it was one of Brock's friend's fault that he raped her. 

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think either girl was responsible for what happened but trying to hold Uber/Lyft accountable would be like arguing it was one of Brock's friend's fault that he raped her. 

I totally agree that Uber wasn't responsible, and said as much above.