2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I get that Kyrie and KD are boys with DeAndre, but they are aware that Jarrett Allen is probably a better basketball played than him at this stage of their careers, right?

I was wondering that too.    Shit if I was Allen, I might be looking to dip

3 minutes ago, Chad said:

Prior to Free Agency the Knicks were 45 to 1 odds to win the title. Fans weren't the only ones laughing at the Knicks, today they plummeted to 150 to 1  as the odds makers laugh their asses off as well.

That was so silly for their odds to be that high.   Even if they got KD he isn't going to play this yr.

1 hour ago, d2o said:

Wow, at that Russell deal.   GSW already little to no depth.  They give up the little they had to max Russell?     I actually like getting Steph off the ball though.   Especially with Klay out but even when comes back.    Steph is way too loose with the ball.    It does make me wonder if they are prepping to lose Draymond though.

Does Russell+Draymond's expiring+a draft pick get them in the conversation for this year's disgruntled superstar of choice? Probably no, and I can't even think who one would be.

Still trying to wrap my head around this one. I get that Looney is the only non-Big 3 member that they really care about having on their roster moving forward (and that looks out the door now too), and I get that turning KD leaving into a sign and trade is pretty much their only means of acquiring a truly valuable asset...

...but man, that's a lot of money to pay for a weird ass lineup.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Does Russell+Draymond's expiring+a draft pick get them in the conversation for this year's disgruntled superstar of choice? Probably no, and I can't even think who one would be.

Still trying to wrap my head around this one. I get that Looney is the only non-Big 3 member that they really care about having on their roster moving forward (and that looks out the door now too), and I get that turning KD leaving into a sign and trade is pretty much their only means of acquiring a truly valuable asset...

...but man, that's a lot of money to pay for a weird ass lineup.

And a lot of money to finish filling out the roster.   Even with vet min guys the tax will be 2-3:1 on the dollars they spend, right?     Doesn't this mean they only have about 5 healthy players on the roster?

Edited by d2o

12 minutes ago, d2o said:

And a lot of money to finish filling out the roster.   Even with vet min guys the tax will be 2-3:1 on the dollars they spend, right?     Doesn't this mean they only have about 5 healthy players on the roster?

What happened to the reports last night of the other Nets' players involved in the trade? Wasn't it Crabbe and Napier? The tweets seem to have vanished. And I assume they'll be getting at least one warm body back from Memphis? A lot of details still to work out I guess.

This is about as brazen and cavalier as an organization can be about the luxury tax. Their new revenue stream at the new arena had better match their projections.

Edited by aggie08

Just now, aggie08 said:

What happened to the reports last night of the other Nets' players involved in the trade?  They seem to have vanished. And I assume they'll be getting at least one warm body back from Memphis? A lot of details still to work out I guess.

This is about as brazen and cavalier as an organization can be about the luxury tax. Their new revenue stream at the new arena had better match their projections.

They sold out the Oracle for yrs even when they were shitty so I guess they are counting on that continuing no matter what they put on the floor.  I've seen reports say they will get an extra 200M/yr from the new digs.    Clearly they have money to burn

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Napier and Treveon Graham

Just what GSW needs more pg's.    I can't imagine they can afford to at this point but they will probably be waived or at least traded again

43 minutes ago, d2o said:

Wait wait wait... so it’s ok to criticize GSW I’m having no money and an unfilled roster but not LAL? Also, Bob Myers already said he has an unlimited budget when it comes to the tax. 

I don’t like the move either unless steph is just going to run around the court all day off the ball like Rip Hamilton used to (which presents other problems), but they could flip Russell for 2 players (not including the ones they got). They’re in a better depth position right now than the lakers given their budget doesn’t matter, and will be in a far better depth position if they flip Russell. If the lakers don’t get kawhi real soon the talent pool is going to be very dry. 

Edited by Jhawk

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Wait wait wait... so it’s ok to criticize GSW I’m having no money and an infilled roster but not LAL? Also, Bob Myers already said he has an unlimited budget when it comes to the tax. 

I don’t like the move either unless steph is just going to run around the court all day off the ball like Rip Hamilton used to (which presents other problems), but they could flip Russell for 2 players (not including the ones they got). They’re in a better depth position right now than the lakers given their budget doesn’t matter, and will be in a far better depth position if they flip Russell. If the lakers don’t get kawhi real soon the talent pool is going to be very dry. 

This part I agree with.    Whoever loses out on him.  Clips/Lakers/Raps will have trouble getting quality players.   They will have to use their space to make some trades to fill the rosters.

The difference is you were shitting on the Lakers depth before FA even started.   

I was shitting on their depth even if the get anyone but kawhi. I guess there are two ways to look at it now... get kawhi and just wait out everyone else until the money is all gone to get “quality” minimum guys. Or, start shopping and try not to overspend on any one guy. The second will be tough because if they start shopping then anyone they go to will have leverage to say “you missed kawhi and if you miss me then you’ll have NOBODY”.  They’re in a shit ass position just like many have said they would be. It isn’t hard to see that lebron, his people, and pelinka are a fucking circus and were going to be regardless of how much money and how many billboards could go up. 

While I’m not shocked Davis went to LAL at all, if they miss out on kawhi he might end up looking to move to the clippers next year. 

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I wash shitting on their depth even if the get anyone but kawhi. I guess there are two ways to look at it now... get kawhi and just wait out everyone else until the money is all gone to get “quality” minimum guys. Or, start shopping and try not to overspend on any one guy. The second will be tough because if they start shopping then anyone they go to will have leverage to say “you missed kawhi and if you miss me then you’ll have NOBODY”.  They’re in a shit ass position just like many have said they would be. It isn’t hard to see that lebron, his people, and pelinka are a fucking circus and were going to be regardless of how much money and how many billboards could go up. 

While I’m not shocked Davis went to LAL at all, if they miss out on kawhi he’s might end up looking to move to the clippers next year. 

You started the sec the trade was made when you had no idea if they had a shot at Kawhi or anyone else big for that matter.    It's good.  We get it you.   You hate the Lakers, LBJ and now by extension AD.    All posters will need to have this in mind when reading anything you post concerning the aforementioned 3.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

The Lakers have to try to get Kawhi. If we miss, so be it. But we have to try. A LBJ, AD, KL lineup would be nuts. 3 of the top 8 players in the league on the same team.

correct.   The reward far outweighs the risk.    Shit it would 3 of the top 5 IMO.  And 1 of the other top 5 guys is out for next season.

Edited by d2o

44 minutes ago, d2o said:

You started the sec the trade was made when you had no idea if they had a shot at Kawhi or anyone else big for that matter.    It's good.  We get it you.   You hate the Lakers, LBJ and now by extension AD.    All posters will need to have this in mind when reading anything you post concerning the aforementioned 3.

I don’t have any reason to hate the lakers and don’t hate AD at all. I have tremendous respect for lebron but the fact is that he destroys franchises with his front office sway.  Look at what the lakers have sacrificed for one guy so lebron can be happy. I get that lebron is worth it. I think lebron is worth it. But he’s reached a stage in his career that he isn’t even going to be around for the consequences of the trade. The second he isn’t happy he quits on his team, he’s done it every year he hasn’t won a championship.  He’s the best athlete (overall) that I’ll ever see in my lifetime. He’s got possibly the best brand (behind mj) that I’ll ever see in my lifetime across sports (maybe behind Tiger).  But there are other, more sustainable, ways to build a franchise.

The lakers free agency has played out just like everyone expected and even how I have described. So I haven’t been wrong at all in my thoughts. The only difference is that you think this is the right way to build and I think they are sacrificing too many depth components to have home court advantage and eventually win a championship. 

Let me ask any lakers fan this... if they miss out on kawhi and get bounced in the first or second round next year because injuries have them as the 5 seed and they carry some injury into the post season, do you think you’ll be happy with the decision making? What if AD says he wants to shop?  If they don’t have injuries but have their roster in the same spot as the rockets and don’t win a championship in 3 years when lebron is 37 and clearly declining in his ability do you think you’ll be happy? If they can’t win it with lebron and AD do you think AD will stay if lebron is still running the front office at that age?

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 1

They will still compete for the West as long as their core is healthy. They aren't going to completely dominate like they have but they are going to be in the mix every year.
Problem is...their core has a torn acl and they dont have a wing/ big worth a shit after Draymond.

Selfishly I think dlo should get flipped to Minny for big man depth...dieng Covington would be a start

7 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Problem is...their core has a torn acl and they dont have a wing/ big worth a shit after Draymond.

Selfishly I think dlo should get flipped to Minny for big man depth...dieng Covington would be a start

I think Dec 15th is the earliest that could happen with him signing a new contract.    Maybe if they expanded the trade they could do it now since nothing has been actually signed though

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

I think Dec 15th is the earliest that could happen with him signing a new contract.    Maybe if they expanded the trade they could do it now since nothing has been actually signed though

Yeah, they'll wait until around the trade deadline, see how Klay is progressing, and assess their team then.

Why don't we wait to see how the rest of the summer and even the first half of the season shakes out before we bury the Lakers bench. There's no doubt that it's going to be thin, but they will get just about every buyout candidate on the market. They will find some vets who will take less to play there. Somehow, I think they will be able to fill out their roster and it doesn't get any easier than playing off of Lebron and Davis. Add Kawhi to that and Kuzma being a pretty good player, and they just need warm bodies who can hit an open j. It's not that complicated.

I really don't get the D'Angelo Russell thing. I liked him a lot coming out of college but he put up pretty decent numbers on a pretty average team with the fifth highest usage rate in the league. Given the question marks around his immature bullshit with the Lakers and the fact that he was busted taking pot through airport security just 60 days ago, I think this is a pretty huge gamble by GSW. I think the guy is horribly overrated. Granted, he's still only 22 but I don't think the risk is worth the reward on this one.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yeah I am curious how they do this year without Klay. I think they can still get a top 5 seed. 

But that is why I said when they are healthy. They won't be healthy this year without Klay. 

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

They will still compete for the West as long as their core is healthy. They aren't going to completely dominate like they have but they are going to be in the mix every year.

Yeah I disagree. I think this run is over. Steph is good but he is not carrying a team to the Finals any time soon that is paying Draymond, Klay and Russell a combined $80 million.

What they did without Durant (and they ultimately lost without him anyway) just isn't sustainable over 82 games and the miles on Draymond and Curry are still there. Maybe they sneak into the WCF but I don't see them as a legitimate contender in 2020. Their defense could be really, really bad without Durant and Thompson. 

42 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

if they miss out on kawhi and get bounced in the first or second round next year because injuries have them as the 5 seed and they carry some injury into the post season, do you think you’ll be happy with the decision making?

This is why I didn't like and still don't like the AD trade. 

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I'm bad at math. How can the Lakers pay 3 top 5 players and still have a full roster and bench?

If they sign Kawhi, they'd still have an MLE for like $6 million and another exception for about $3 million. So that would be 6 guys on non-minimum contracts and the other 6 on minimums.  If they just find two guys to take less to play with that Big 3, like Iggy if he gets bought out, they'd have an 8 man rotation with 3 superstars.  And there will be other quality rotation guys who get bought out during the year and the Lakers would be a top landing spot for them. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I don’t have any reason to hate the lakers and don’t hate AD at all. I have tremendous respect for lebron but the fact is that he destroys franchises with his front office sway.  Look at what the lakers have sacrificed for one guy so lebron can be happy. I get that lebron is worth it. I think lebron is worth it. But he’s reached a stage in his career that he isn’t even going to be around for the consequences of the trade. The second he isn’t happy he quits on his team, he’s done it every year he hasn’t won a championship.  He’s the best athlete (overall) that I’ll ever see in my lifetime. He’s got possibly the best brand (behind mj) that I’ll ever see in my lifetime across sports (maybe behind Tiger).  But there are other, more sustainable, ways to build a franchise.

The lakers free agency has played out just like everyone expected and even how I have described. So I haven’t been wrong at all in my thoughts. The only difference is that you think this is the right way to build and I think they are sacrificing too many depth components to have home court advantage and eventually win a championship. 

Let me ask any lakers fan this... if they miss out on kawhi and get bounced in the first or second round next year because injuries have them as the 5 seed and they carry some injury into the post season, do you think you’ll be happy with the decision making? What if AD says he wants to shop?  If they don’t have injuries but have their roster in the same spot as the rockets and don’t win a championship in 3 years when lebron is 37 and clearly declining in his ability do you think you’ll be happy? If they can’t win it with lebron and AD do you think AD will stay if lebron is still running the front office at that age?

You really talking about 3 yrs from now?   How would AD be shopping when he will be re-signing long term next summer?   Why would their roster bein the same place as it is now in 3 yrs?   Again we saw how the Heat were able to add pretty good players every yr.   Why wouldn't the Lakers?    Cmon man.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

we still doing this?

You can explain the details a million times and I'll never understand them. But on the surface, 3 top 5 players seems insane. It looks like the answer is "exceptions" which should have been obvious. Every exception has an exception. So fucking annoying to try and follow.

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

You can explain the details a million times and I'll never understand them. But on the surface, 3 top 5 players seems insane. It looks like the answer is "exceptions" which should have been obvious. Every exception has an exception. So fucking annoying to try and follow.

As long as there are max salaries that are less than half the cap, the possibility exists of multiple superstars signing with one team.

Edited by d2o

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If they sign Kawhi, they'd still have an MLE for like $6 million and another exception for about $3 million. So that would be 6 guys on non-minimum contracts and the other 6 on minimums.  If they just find two guys to take less to play with that Big 3, like Iggy if he gets bought out, they'd have an 8 man rotation with 3 superstars.  And there will be other quality rotation guys who get bought out during the year and the Lakers would be a top landing spot for them. 

Not sure what $3M exception you're referring to, but the Lakers should have access to the full midlevel, which is between $9M and $10M. Are they projected to go into the tax?

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

If you are familiar with auction-style fantasy football leagues, the Lakers are using the "studs and duds" approach. The max contracts are the studs, the rest of the roster (save for a midlevel guy - the exception) are rookies and minimum contract guys (duds), and then they'll have a small chance to find someone on the buyout market (waivers).

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

A 2nd round series between LA and Golden State could be a lot of fun (albeit short if the Lakers get Kawhi). Anyone want to take a guess who Iggy's agent was before he took a high profile front office job and had to drop all of his clients? Feels like there's about a 103% chance that Iggy winds up on the Lakers this season.  Lot of revenge storylines there, especially if Golden State opts to keep Russell around all season.