2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

I disagree. He’s 23, coming off an all star season and is entering his prime. Those are the assets you want to invest in

Again, he's a good solid and young player, but he's not a very efficient player (yet) and doesn't seem like a natural fit on Warriors, especially defensively and he's not a natural catch and shoot guy which means you're moving Steph off the ball into the move role of Klay while he's gone and Klay to the 3.  Gotta sacrifice Iggy and Looney, so.... they're really not anywhere close to as good unless they can flip Russell for some more assets, IMO.  

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Again, he's a good solid and young player, but he's not a very efficient player (yet) and doesn't seem like a natural fit on Warriors, especially defensively and he's not a natural catch and shoot guy which means you're moving Steph off the ball into the move role of Klay while he's gone and Klay to the 3.  Gotta sacrifice Iggy and Looney, so.... they're really not anywhere close to as good unless they can flip Russell for some more assets, IMO.  

He's a rental,  they'll unload him before the trade deadline.  

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Pretty sure Warriors have room to keep Looney

11 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

nm.  Looks like he's a Grizzly.  Thanks Iggy for giving up your body..... we're going to send you to Memphis now to go die as a NBA'er.

Haha c'mon dude. The last 3 seasons he played on the only franchise that didn't mind him taking the entire regular season off. It's not like they were running him into the ground. Dude is just old.

I love Iggy, but Golden State never wanted to give him this 3rd year two offseasons ago. He played up his flirtation with Houston, and got it out of them. Good for him. It's a cold move, but what's the alternative? Watching him break down in February instead of May because he has to play actual regular season minutes for a change on a team that, because of Klay's injury, had no real shot to contend this season? Only to let him walk next offseason with no cap space to replace his production.

Edited by aggie08

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

Haha c'mon dude. The last 3 seasons he played on the only franchise that didn't mind him taking the entire regular season off. It's not like they were running him into the ground. Dude is just old.

I love Iggy, but Golden State never wanted to give him this 3rd year two offseasons ago. He played up his flirtation with Houston, and got it out of them. Good for him. It's a cold move, but what's the alternative? Watching him break down in February instead of May because he has to play actual regular season minutes for a change on a team that, because of Klay's injury, had no real shot to contend this season?

From your description..... sounds like a Belichick-like move by Golden State.

Just now, Loch Ness Monster said:

Bobby Portis, Taj Gibson, and Julius Randall for the Knicks

Championship

I've noticed a lot of teams today handing contracts to guys that already duplicate what the team has, except in the Knicks case they went and bought the same player 3 times.

8 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Define "fine".

Yeah, don't mind dumping Iggy, but I don't love this particular move. I'm sure they're just treating him as an asset that they can easily move if/when things don't mesh. But gotta think there were better options available, even for a team as deep in the cap as they are.

I'm thinking that they were really hoping to land Russell in a KD sign-and-trade and just got pot committed.

Just now, dingleberryswitzer said:

This reads like they are sending 3 first rounders plus AI for nothing.  But that can't be right.  

Yeah. I think he means just one with protections lower each year, but he wrote it in a weird way. I can't imagine they gave up three picks to dump an expiring Iggy. 

56 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah, don't mind dumping Iggy, but I don't love this particular move. I'm sure they're just treating him as an asset that they can easily move if/when things don't mesh. But gotta think there were better options available, even for a team as deep in the cap as they are.

I'm thinking that they were really hoping to land Russell in a KD sign-and-trade and just got pot committed.

Delete user. I guess the sign-and-trade is being negotiated as part of KD's move. It's late.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

#loyalty

top 5 defensive hands all time in the NBA.  His strips in the paint vs. KL earned GS a victory.  This is a huge loss for them if true. 

Warriors won't ever be in the Finals again for the next 20 years. 

Edited by NowThis

12 minutes ago, NowThis said:

top 5 defensive hands all time in the NBA.  His strips in the paint vs. KL earned GS a victory.  This is a huge loss for them if true. 

Warriors won't ever be in the Finals again for the next 20 years. 

20 years? That’s a tad presumptuous. Shit, the Knicks made it to the Finals 20 years ago. 

6 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Watch them buy him out and return to the Warriors on the vet minimum.

yeah they killed that a few yrs ago.   You can't re-sing with a team that traded you for a yr.    Pretty sure Iggy will end up bought out and sign with a contender but it wont be GSW.

Wow, at that Russell deal.   GSW already little to no depth.  They give up the little they had to max Russell?     I actually like getting Steph off the ball though.   Especially with Klay out but even when comes back.    Steph is way too loose with the ball.    It does make me wonder if they are prepping to lose Draymond though.

Prior to Free Agency the Knicks were 45 to 1 odds to win the title. Fans weren't the only ones laughing at the Knicks, today they plummeted to 150 to 1  as the odds makers laugh their asses off as well.

Edited by Chad