2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

If they sign Kawhi, they'd still have an MLE for like $6 million and another exception for about $3 million. So that would be 6 guys on non-minimum contracts and the other 6 on minimums.  If they just find two guys to take less to play with that Big 3, like Iggy if he gets bought out, they'd have an 8 man rotation with 3 superstars.  And there will be other quality rotation guys who get bought out during the year and the Lakers would be a top landing spot for them. 

Yep, its relatively simple.      Although as mentioned the MLE is about 9M this year.

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Not sure what $3M exception you're referring to, but the Lakers should have access to the full midlevel, which is between $9M and $10M. Are they projected to go into the tax?

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yep, its relatively simple.      Although as mentioned the MLE is about 9M this year.

Again, this shit is complicated but my understanding is they don't get the standard MLE because they started under the cap. the standard MLE requires that the team was over the cap the whole time.  They'd get the room MLE of $5 million and the bi-annual exception of $3 million. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Again, this shit is complicated but my understanding is they don't get the standard MLE because they started under the cap. the standard MLE requires that the team was over the cap the whole time.  They'd get the room MLE of $5 million and the bi-annual exception of $3 million. 

They managed to work the trade so they remain over the cap and thus get the full MLE.   At least that is what was reported the other day.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

OK, I didn't realize you were referring to the room MLE. That said, if you use the room MLE you don't get the biannual exception.

And, as d20 said, my understanding is that the Lakers would be over the cap.

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

They managed to work the trade so they remain over the cap and thus get the full MLE.   At least that is what was reported the other day.

Right, but unless they can work a S&T with Toronto (and I'm not sure what they could offer), then they have to dip below the cap to sign Kawhi, don't they?

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

OK, I didn't realize you were referring to the room MLE. That said, if you use the room MLE you don't get the biannual exception.

And, as d20 said, my understanding is that the Lakers would be over the cap.

Good point. So I guess, they either stay above the cap the whole time and get the full MLE plus the bi-annual, or they can't do a S&T with Toronto and only get the Room MLE?

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Right, but unless they can work a S&T with Toronto (and I'm not sure what they could offer), then they have to dip below the cap to sign Kawhi, don't they?

Good point. So I guess, they either stay above the cap the whole time and get the full MLE plus the bi-annual, or they can't do a S&T with Toronto and only get the Room MLE?

True, maybe they trade a few nights with Jeannie Buss.     it's about all they have left.

Edited by d2o

1 hour ago, d2o said:

You really talking about 3 yrs from now?   How would AD be shopping when he will be re-signing long term next summer?   Why would their roster bein the same place as it is now in 3 yrs?   Again we saw how the Heat were able to add pretty good players every yr.   Why wouldn't the Lakers?    Cmon man.

The Heat had Pat Riley and Spoelstra and a 27 year old LeBron. They also didn't suck shit through a straw for 6 seasons before getting LeBron and Bosh. Personally I would take 2011 Wade over Davis.

People need to quit comparing this to the Heatles - it's very different for numerous reasons. And if you get Kawhi, it will be different in that that trio of superstars will far exceed the LeBron/Wade/Bosh big 3. Of course the Lakers will add pretty good players - the question is how competently will they do so, how good will LeBron actually be in his twilight (I already don't think he was the best player in the league last season) - will AD stay healthy and how good will the West be around them (at a minimum it will be more competitive than the East circa 2011-2014).

I think the ceiling for the Lakers right now is potentially higher than the ceiling for Miami was - but the floor is much, much lower. 

1 minute ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I thought whiteside had some huge contract. Interesting that Portland can afford that and are willing to on him.

Same here, but it looks like he is at the end of it, $27 million this season then a UFA in 2020.

8 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

I thought whiteside had some huge contract. Interesting that Portland can afford that and are willing to on him.

It's a trade.  They have given up a couple guys to match to get close to the salary.     Whiteside just picked up his option so he is an expiring contract now.    if it works and he fills in for Nurkic cool.   If not he leaves next yr and POR was able to unload two more of those busters they had on their bench.

1 minute ago, TonyTexas said:

The NBA salary rules need to be simplified. I don't see how an average fan can make heads or tails of it. I damn sure can't.

Shit NFL rules are FAR more complicated.    It really shouldn't be for fans to have to try and figure out honestly.

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Man of the Lakers and Clips, whichever teams loses on Kawhi is gonna find the cupboards are bare.

On The Herd they just speculated that the Lakers might end up with Iggy.  Can the Clippers pick up Iggy if Memphis buys out Iggy's contract?? 

I hope all the teams in the NBA fastbreak like crazy against the Lakers all season long.... speed up the pace so Lakers just break down physically in the playoffs.

giphy.gif

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

So GSW is giving KD AND a 1st for Deangelo Russell hahahhahahahahha

So essentially acquiring D'Angelo cost them Iggy's expiring, the ability to re-sign Looney, and 2 protected firsts.  Damn.  Can't call it a bad move until we see what they ultimately turn D'Angelo into, but it's one hell of a risk.  Puzzling to say the least.

...and yeah, getting needled for another pick by the team that just signed KD away from you isn't a great look for Myers.  It's clear that D'Angelo wanted to go to GS over Minnesota, so Brooklyn is doing him a solid.  Getting a first round pick out of that is a nice little perk.

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

On The Herd they just speculated that the Lakers might end up with Iggy.  Can the Clippers pick up Iggy if Memphis buys out Iggy's contract?? 

I hope all the teams in the NBA fastbreak like crazy against the Lakers all season long.... speed up the pace so Lakers just break down physically in the playoffs.

giphy.gif

If he is a FA anyone can sign him.   Of course he would be the one choosing which team to sign with.     There isn't any sort of priority to who gets first crack to sign FAs if that is what you mean.   Pelinka used to be Iggy's agent.   I would imagine they would have the inside track if he is bought out

3 hours ago, Jhawk said:

While I’m not shocked Davis went to LAL at all, if they miss out on kawhi he might end up looking to move to the clippers next year. 

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen Kawhi or not. Davis wanted to play for the Lakers. That's where he is. He isn't going anywhere.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen Kawhi or not. Davis wanted to play for the Lakers. That's where he is. He isn't going anywhere.

and he will get the richest NBA contract ever............don't forget that.   The talk of AD leaving the Lakers is silly wishful thinking.

Edited by d2o

34 minutes ago, d2o said:

Shit NFL rules are FAR more complicated.    It really shouldn't be for fans to have to try and figure out honestly.

I contend that both these statements are patently false. The NFL has a hard cap without the myriad of exceptions, holds, rights, buyouts and taxes that the NBA has. Secondly,  the fans might enjoy understanding what can and cannot be done to build the roster for the teams they follow. The hot stove discussions in the NFL and MLB keep their fans interested year round.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp,  but, believe me, you are the exception not the rule.

Edited by TonyTexas

10 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I contend that both these statements are patently false. The NFL has a hard cap without the myriad of exceptions, holds, rights, buyouts and taxes that the NBA has. Secondly,  the fans might enjoy understanding what can and cannot be done to build the roster for the teams they follow. The hot stove discussions in the NFL and MLB keep their fans interested year round.

You seem to have a pretty good grasp,  but, believe me, you are the exception not the rule.

trust me.  just because there is a hard cap doesn't make it easier.   I've tried and the NBA is FAR easier  With all the bonuses and no rules on how /when/they count against the cap.   That is all left up to negotiation.   Then when players are cut parts count over multiple yrs or they can take the hit all at once.    Its WAY more complicated.   The NBA has a lot of exceptions but the rules for the exceptions are pretty standard.

And when I say it shouldn't be for the fans to have figure out, I actually mean I have an issue with how much money guys are making being public knowledge.  I suppose that is a whole other conversation though.

Edited by d2o

5 minutes ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Damn. We've already mailed in the upcoming season.

*Greg Dolan, fucking sell the team already*

Yeah uhhh............ *checks notes*.....uhhhh..........Greg..........?