2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

24 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I honestly did not expect Kawhi to milk it this hard. I mean, he doesn't owe the Lakers or Clippers a damn thing, but you'd think he'd feel some obligation to the Raptors to give them a heads up if he won't be back.

He doesn't owe any team anything. Yes, the Raptors franchise did well by him, and the Raptors fanbase worships him like a god now, but it's a business.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

He doesn't owe any team anything. Yes, the Raptors franchise did well by him, and the Raptors fanbase worships him like a god now, but it's a business.

It's kinda funny watching Kawhi drag things out because the two teams he doesn't choose have fewer options to offset their loss in the Kawhi Sweepstakes.  

If Kawhi goes to the Clippers, he really hurts both LBJ and Magic the most --  not nearly as many other FA options are left for Lakers.

3 minutes ago, PilotsError said:

It's not even 72 after free agency started.  I wouldn't call it dragging this out.

I would call Kawhi a traitorous piece of shit though.

Need a Surly poll on Kawhi....

Which team should Kawhi choose??

(Which team would help Kawhi's brand the most??)

(Where would Kawhi win the most championships??)

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

It's kinda funny watching Kawhi drag things out because the two teams he doesn't choose have fewer options to offset their loss in the Kawhi Sweepstakes.  

If Kawhi goes to the Clippers, he really hurts both LBJ and Magic the most --  not nearly as many other FA options are left for Lakers.

Yeah the Clips will be ok if he doesn't choose them.    The  Lakers will too honestly but they will have the most trouble filling out their roster.

• Like 1

Is there going to be anyone left for the Clippers, Lakers, and Raptors to fill out a roster with once Kawhi makes a decision? The first two are going to have some money to burn if they don’t get him and a limited pool of players the longer this goes.
A lot of us are perfectly fine seeing the Lakers get burned and have to use their max money on spares...which is probably the right thing to do vs having a big 3 and the spares' spares for depth

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Is it league policy that every terrible contract passes through Atlanta at some point?

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Its like an albatross graveyard.

It all started with Jon Concak. Man, was that a bad contract at the time!

https://www.complex.com/sports/2013/02/the-25-worst-nba-contracts-of-all-time/jon-koncak

15. Jon Koncak

dpcuhxktztdyrd42gora.jpg

Year: 1989
Contract: 6 years, $13 million

Paltry by today's standards, but here's some context: Koncak made more money that year than Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. Please direct your outrage to: ATLANTA HAWK$$$ 4 Ever Handing Out Shitty Contracts Boulevard, Atlanta, GA YRUSODUM

6 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

It all started with Jon Concak. Man, was that a bad contract at the time!

https://www.complex.com/sports/2013/02/the-25-worst-nba-contracts-of-all-time/jon-koncak

SMU grad, had some big battles with Hakeem in college.  Nickname was "Jon Contract".   A local ABC crew chased him in the Highland Park streets trying to get an interview, slightly less interesting than the OJ chase but still cool at the time.  I recall it being $12.5mil for 5 years / ie $2.5mil a year which was Warren Buffett money. 

still, baseball is the nuttiest

4 hours ago, Machinator said:

He doesn’t owe anyone anything, but it’s still an asshole move to buttfuck other teams’ year in free agency by dragging his feet when every other free agent had their shit decided and worked out by 6pm Sunday. 

5 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He doesn’t owe anyone anything, but it’s still an asshole move to buttfuck other teams’ year in free agency by dragging his feet when every other free agent had their shit decided and worked out by 6pm Sunday. 

If he legitimately doesn't know where he's going yet, by all means, take your time consulting with your family/team. It's a huge decision.

But I get the feeling that he already knows, but he likes the attention more than his quiet demeanor would suggest.

He doesn't owe anyone...but you can still be professional. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if not for the whole San Antonio debacle.

If he legitimately doesn't know where he's going yet, by all means, take your time consulting with your family/team. It's a huge decision. But I get the feeling that he already knows, but he likes the attention more than his quiet demeanor would suggest. He doesn't owe anyone...but you can still be professional. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if not for the whole San Antonio debacle. 

He already knows he's going to LA, he just wants the perception that it was a really excruciating decision for him, to lessen the stigma that he's an autistic flake run by his greedy uncle.    

The plan has always been LA. Flame away if I'm wrong, but I'm not. He's wanted to go be Lebron's cuckold for over a year now.

PS Fuck Kawhi

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

If he legitimately doesn't know where he's going yet, by all means, take your time consulting with your family/team. It's a huge decision.

But I get the feeling that he already knows, but he likes the attention more than his quiet demeanor would suggest.

He doesn't owe anyone...but you can still be professional. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if not for the whole San Antonio debacle.

I've said from the start that all the visits he needed to take shows that the "he's not into all that flash" take to be false.

54 minutes ago, Hate said:

His greedy uncle that has already cost him millions of dollars that he will never get back.

He got that New Balance money, and will be signing soon to wear Members Only exclusively. Advantage Dennis.

• Like 1

Wow, that was so bad I didn't even realize Josh Jackson was even in the deal at first.    Wow.    Didn't they trade up to get  Melton too last yr?   I know they were supposed to be really high on him.

2 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Jalen Rose reporting 99% Kawhi is returning to Toronto on a 2 yr deal

man, you must be disappointed, but thanks for the news.  Good to see the NBA hasn't gone wild in the power imbalance and overall this is good for the Lakers as they get to sign some good players. Let it be true then!  Although wasn't KL on the LA Freeways today? 

2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

lots of well dressed office workers abandon their jobs to wait outside KL's hotel right now in Toronto (they don't have a July 4th holiday btw)

This may be worse than flight aware during coaching carousel season.