2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

PG isn't all world, good but not a title maker.  Lakers have a good roster now with Danny Green and my man Javale , along with Kuzma.  What a blessing for them to get rid of Lonzo. 

Staples will the the epicenter of the NBA earthquakes. How many times will we see Lakers - Clippers on TV?

also F OKC lolz i hate RW

Jalen Rose - "99% Raptors"  ; Screamin A Smith "Lakers Lakers Lakers!"    bwahaha

Edited by NowThis

The nba offseason is so much better than the regular season. They should shorten the schedule by 20 games and change the all star game to a mini tourney consisting of the all stars from each division on a team.

have to love how the offseason plays out. Nobody should have been competitive with the warriors for years but everyone tried to rise to the challenge. Then the league balances again with what could be the elimination of the big3 era. Duos are back!

Good luck picking teams 6-8 in the West next year. Have to think 1-5 will be the Jazz, Nuggets, LAL, LAC and Rockets in some order. 6-8 will be a free for all between Portland, SAS, OKC, Kings, GSW, and Mavs. Portland is the only one of those teams I would feel confident picking to make the final 8. 

Edited by Reynolds Woodcock

Good luck picking teams 6-8 in the West next year. Have to think 1-5 will be the Jazz, Nuggets, LAL, LAC and Rockets in some order. 6-8 will be a free for all between Portland, SAS, OKC, Kings, and Mavs. Portland is the only one of those teams I would feel confident picking to make the final 8. 

Warriors?

I can’t see okc offloading Russ but he might ask for a trade if they didn’t tell him they were going to use him as leverage first. He seems like a guy who will be pissed if his loyalty to okc isn’t equal to their loyalty to him.. and he’s shown a shitload of loyalty. The tough thing for okc is they are going to be in draft hell always just missing the playoffs but never in the lottery. Sure they are going to pick twice in the first round of every draft for the rest of time but how many generational type players get picked in the 18-30 range?  There are some, but I don’t see another Kawhi coming along anytime soon. 

Okc fans are going to be tested big time with their loyalty to the franchise. 

2 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Good luck picking teams 6-8 in the West next year. Have to think 1-5 will be the Jazz, Nuggets, LAL, LAC and Rockets in some order. 6-8 will be a free for all between Portland, SAS, OKC, Kings, and Mavs. Portland is the only one of those teams I would feel confident picking to make the final 8. 

In the new iteration of OKC, I could easily see them missing the playoffs and if Westbrook misses any significant time due to injuries, that's a certainty.  They may make the lottery this next year before those draft picks start kicking in for 2021.  They might easily have 10-12 lottery picks between now and 2026.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:
3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Read more  

Warriors?

Argh, fixed. I would include them in the latter category of the teams fighting for 6-8. 

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I can’t see okc offloading Russ but he might ask for a trade if they didn’t tell him they were going to use him as leverage first. He seems like a guy who will be pissed if his loyalty to okc isn’t equal to their loyalty to him.. and he’s shown a shitload of loyalty. The tough thing for okc is they are going to be in draft hell always just missing the playoffs but never in the lottery. Sure they are going to pick twice in the first round of every draft for the rest of time but how many generational type players get picked in the 18-30 range?  There are some, but I don’t see another Kawhi coming along anytime soon. 

If you miss the playoffs, you're in the lottery.  If you look at when these picks occur, it's very backloaded to when Kawhi and PG are presumably old and on the downhill slide.  Same with the Miami picks and Jimmy Butler.  New Orleans did the same thing with the Laker picks.  Lakers gave up unprotected picks for when after Lebon is retired.

OKC might have finally figured out they'll never be a free agent destination and the only way they'll get or keep them is to massively overpay.  Might be better off with a boatload of draft picks.  Problem with that strategy is the draft is a total crap shoot.  Some years are total garbage all around but most are like this years in that there are 2-4 good prospects and a huge drop off after that.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Not a bad deal for OKC.  They weren't winning anything with that roster.  They were looking at second round exits (at best) for the foreseeable future on top of the huge luxury tax they were paying.  Might as well blow that up.

In the short term, they go two good perimeter scorers to go along with Russ.  That gives them 4-5 scoring options, which is something they've never had even in the Durant days.  It's always been Durant, Westbrook, one other guy who is OK, and two other starters who are offensive black holes.  They're a borderline playoff team with this roster but something like a 7 or 8 seed.  Wouldn't surprise to see a miss, though.

Long term, they'll control the draft next decade even if they don't unload the Westbrook contract.  They'll be getting multiple high draft picks for six years.  You'd think at least 2 of them would be big time and another one or two be solid.

I think OKC got a great deal.  WB will win some as the main guy and sell tix but he’s not a championship guy.  OKC is absolutely loaded in the draft now where Presti has been known to work some magic.  S-G also a great pickup for them.  

Edit:  See post above on when the picks come in.  Several lotto picks imo due to when they get the picks. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Argh, fixed. I would include them in the latter category of the teams fighting for 6-8. 

Think you're too high on the Lakers. Lebron is not going to be the player he was 2-3 years ago. He was showing his age last year. They upgraded the frontcourt in a huge way, but they are still not going to be a great shooting team. Wouldn't surprise me to see the Rockets fall off as well. I'd put Spurs and Portland as both locks to make the playoffs (barring injuries to key guys). I think the Spurs are likely to be significantly improved with the return of Murray and maturation of Lonnie Walker.

I'd say the West is a top 3 of Clips, Jazz, and Nuggets (not really in that order) with a middling group of Spurs, Portland, Lakers, Rockets, GSW and a few dark horses in Mavs, Pelicans, and Kings.

1 minute ago, Dr Fear said:
3 minutes ago, NowThis said:
OKC should take RW to the NYK for even more picks, forming a team of young studs in the 2024-2030 era. 

He would be feuding with the media before his plane even landed.

It would be glorious.  Let it be, NBA Gods.  

I'd say the West is a top 3 of Clips, Jazz, and Nuggets (not really in that order) with a middling group of Spurs, Portland, Lakers, Rockets, GSW and a few dark horses in Mavs, Pelicans, and Kings.

One thing that is going to start to happen is there is going to be a difference between seeding and actual threat to win the title. Like Denver is a real possibility for the 1 seed, but has no chance to get a ring. Whereas teams like LAL or even GSW could plausibly win a chip from the 5 or 6 seed.

Seeding wise your list seems right. Actual shot to win a championship I think comes down to both LA teams, the Warriors, and maaaybe the Jazz.

8 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Danny green to the lakers for 2 years $30 mil

32yr old Danny Green for $15mil a year and a 2yr contract....  Spotrac shows the $30mil may be fully guaranteed??

Seems awfully expensive... 

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

32yr old Danny Green for $15mil a year and a 2yr contract....  Spotrac shows the $30mil may be fully guaranteed??

Seems awfully expensive... 

giphy.gif

clutch AF in the playoffs though.  Good signing. Given that players are getting so much now, this is a very good value. 

33 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Westbrook can ask for a trade but you have to have positive value to force a trade. Westbrook’s supermax will be a nightmare before it ends and he doesn’t profile as a player that will age well.

24 minutes ago, NowThis said:

OKC should take RW to the NYK for even more picks, forming a team of young studs in the 2024-2030 era. 

Lulz. OKC would be lucky if NYK took him for nothing just to clear that contract. NYK would be insane to give up anything of meaning for him, but they are desperate so if there’s one team in the league that would, it would be NYK.

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Just in time for their big move back to Seattle.

yeah, why doesn't Amazon, Microsoft, Apple just do it? Nike is based in Portland so that would be awkward + possible conflict of interest (?).  But the big 3 NW tech giants could do this in 5 minutes, no?

yeah, why doesn't Amazon, Microsoft, Apple just do it? Nike is based in Portland so that would be awkward + possible conflict of interest (?).  But the big 3 NW tech giants could do this in 5 minutes, no?

The O&G owners are really trying to cling to OKC as a “big league city” so they aren’t going to sell unless attendance falls off a cliff (possible if Westbrook bolts too) and if there is another big drop in oil prices (also possible if not likely considering the volatility in that industry). If those things happen around the same time they might sell for the crazy’s going price these days for franchises.

24 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Almost makes up for the Harden fiasco.

Harden was leaving anyway and no one would think twice about it had they drafted Giannis instead of Adams, who is a solid starter in his own right.

Edited by Aqua Buddha