2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

On 7/3/2019 at 8:59 AM, LTtxfan said:

It's kinda funny watching Kawhi drag things out because the two teams he doesn't choose have fewer options to offset their loss in the Kawhi Sweepstakes.  

If Kawhi goes to the Clippers, he really hurts both LBJ and Magic the most --  not nearly as many other FA options are left for Lakers.

This aged well... Kawhi hurt both Lakers and Raptors by delaying his decision...

Kawhi Leonard does not have autism ffs.

Aspergers, autism, whatever your flavor is. There is a 100% chance he is on the spectrum somewhere. If I were an anti-vaxxer I'd make a video showing Scottie Pippen with "this is your brain" overlaid. Then fade to Kawhi laughing with "this is your brain on vaccinations. Any questions?".

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Aspergers, autism, whatever your flavor is. There is a 100% chance he is on the spectrum somewhere. If I were an anti-vaxxer I'd make a video showing Scottie Pippen with "this is your brain" overlaid. Then fade to Kawhi laughing with "this is your brain on vaccinations. Any questions?".

Absolutely not and it trivializes autism/ASD to use it as a punchline for anyone's behavior you find odd or off putting.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Absolutely not and it trivializes autism/ASD to use it as a punchline for anyone's behavior you find odd or off putting.

I mean obviously the anti-vaxxer PSA was a joke but all of that aside, I'm fairly confident that Kawhi is on the spectrum somewhere. I'm on record on the old site saying it when he was with the Spurs, I believe. He's pretty obviously got something of some sort.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

I mean obviously the anti-vaxxer PSA was a joke but all of that aside, I'm fairly confident that Kawhi is on the spectrum somewhere. I'm on record on the old site saying it when he was with the Spurs, I believe. He's pretty obviously got something of some sort.

No, he doesn't, not anymore than Ricky Williams did. Your confidence belies your lack of credibility on this.

Just now, Llogg said:

No, he doesn't, not anymore than Ricky Williams did. Your confidence belies your lack of credibility on this.

Nobody ever thought Ricky was on the spectrum. He very obviously and publicly had social anxiety. Kawhi might have that too, but he and Ricky are/were nothing alike. 

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I know you are responding to someone else here, but my mention of it in this thread was not in a dismissive manner or a punchline. My girlfriend is a kindergarten teacher and she exclusively has kids with developmental issues as well as most who are autistic. If he is he is still the same bad ass guy who just delivered Toronto a title. I respect his game and how he handles himself.

More young folks could stand to use Kawhi as a role model. Works his ass off at his craft and says little to nothing about how great he is at it.

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Edited by UpperWestside

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Bill Simmons is on Cloud Nine. Kyrie leaves Boston, and Kemba bails out Ainge. The Lakers fail to acquire a third star. Knicks fail miserably. And he probably gets to talk about the NBA into August. 

Do people still read or listen to him?

oh c'mon. its just his personality. he's weird and shuns from the spotlight. I highly doubt the Spurs use a first round pick on an autistic bball player or anyone in the spectrum...and then especially it lasting this long as a secret in the NBA.

I mean has there ever been an autistic professional player in any sport?

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

oh c'mon. its just his personality. he's weird and shuns from the spotlight. I highly doubt the Spurs use a first round pick on an autistic bball player or anyone in the spectrum...and then especially it lasting this long as a secret in the NBA.

I mean has there ever been an autistic professional player in any sport?

Besides Kawhi Leonard?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, fellside said:

I've always enjoyed Simmons' takes on the NBA, especially big picture stuff.

As long as he isn't talking about the Celts or Lakers.  He's way too much of a fanatic to have rational option on either.

16 minutes ago, d2o said:

As long as he isn't talking about the Celts or Lakers.  He's way too much of a fanatic to have rational option on either.

Pretty much. Despises the Lakers. Total Celtics fan boy. His optimism on Anthony Davis to the Celtics was borderline reckless. Rich Paul said multiple times that Davis would never sign with Boston. Simmons just ignored this and went with his BSing Celtics sources, I guess? And he starts almost every Boston rant with, "I don't want to spend too much time on the Celtics/Patriots/Red Sox" and then he rips off a 30 minute rant. 

I guess I love to hate Simmons. Joe House is funny. Ryan Russillo's tough guy act is funny to laugh at. Russillo is probably the worst element of the show, his three topics : 1) The gym 2) Fighting dudes at the gym 3) Boston. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Pretty much. Despises the Lakers. Total Celtics fan boy. His optimism on Anthony Davis to the Celtics was borderline reckless. Rich Paul said multiple times that Davis would never sign with Boston. Simmons just ignored this and went with his BSing Celtics sources, I guess? And he starts almost every Boston rant with, "I don't want to spend too much time on the Celtics/Patriots/Red Sox" and then he rips off a 30 minute rant. 

I guess I love to hate Simmons. Joe House is funny. Ryan Russillo's tough guy act is funny to laugh at. Russillo is probably the worst element of the show, his three topics : 1) The gym 2) Fighting dudes at the gym 3) Boston. 

Russillo is the old, drunk fratty right?

• Fuck You 1

I listen to Simmons pod cuz he has good guests on almost every pod and is pretty entertaining sometimes. His website The Ringer though has an NBA podcast like 5 days a week. If you want a lot of basketball content then odds are you’re gonna have to listen to something involved with Simmons

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd say he's more a meathead. He has a couple alcohol related collars. It's truly amazing he survived the ESPN Purge. I guess he was just cheap enough to keep around. 

The weird thing about Ryen's role with ESPN is he still gets paid by the company without having to do much work for them. He occasionally appears on SVP, and then rarely appears on Get Up and maybe a Sports Center here or there. Yet he's still on ESPN's payroll and got to move away from their headquarters in Connecticut out to Los Angeles. I guess he still has his podcast with them, but it's a weird relegation considering his previous ubiquity on the station. Same thing can be said of Michael Smith, although he does even less than Ryen. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

5 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The weird thing about Ryen's role with ESPN is he still gets paid by the company without having to do much work for them. He occasionally appears on SVP, and then rarely appears on Get Up and maybe a Sports Center here or there. Yet he's still on ESPN's payroll and got to move away from their headquarters in Connecticut out to Los Angeles. I guess he still has his podcast with them, but it's a weird relegation considering his previous ubiquity on the station. Same thing can be said of Michael Smith, although he does even less than Ryen. 

And Russillo essentially co-hosts Bill Simmons’ podcast on The Ringer. 1) Bill Simmons and ESPN had a very public break up, and he rountinely talks s*** about them. 2) The Ringer Podcast Network is in direct competition with ESPN Radio/ Podcasts. 

ESPN allows Russillo to do it anyway. So they either don’t care or they’re too lazy to listen. Probably a little bit of both. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd say he's more a meathead. He has a couple alcohol related collars. It's truly amazing he survived the ESPN Purge. I guess he was just cheap enough to keep around. 

yeah he got drunk, just walked up into someone's house and sat on the couch then went to sleep

4 minutes ago, Chad said:

When are the Thunder trading Russ to the Knicks for 5 future 1st rounders?

Another thing complicating a deal for Westbrook is you've got to think that Presti would at least seek Russ's tacit approval before pulling the trigger. They're not going to send Russ--the one who stayed and kept the franchise from imploding post KD--to NBA Siberia, even if those are about the only franchises desperate enough to offer a substantial haul. New York might be the perfect mix of terribly run with just enough prestige left to talk Russ into.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

We should all teach our children the following very valuable lessons:

1. when you are unhappy or want to be somewhere else, you should fake the severity of an injury and then go through 11 doctors before finding one that will confirm your diagnosis

spacer.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Supposedly, they're planning on starting Gallinari at the 4 spot so they traded Grant.  With Gallinari's injury history, that means Nerlens Noel will start some games alongside Andre Roberson.  Holy hell that lineup might not score 60 points.