2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Philly is the only contender I can see making any sort of sense as a destination for Westbrook, but I can't see how they could get it done. Lakers would be funny, but they don't have anything to offer OKC for him. Maybe the Magic think they are close enough in a weak East and shuffle some young pieces for him.

I'd take him down here in a heartbeat but I cant imagine we have enough to get him.

We didn’t know he was opening that door though. Presti probably could have prevented this from happening last offseason but he didn’t. He’s a great negotiator but I’m not so sure about his roster management. 

If Miami is enticed, they could perhaps throw together some assets to pair Westbrook with Butler.  That's not really a great team, but not sure who else might actually consider the move given the assets on hand/rosters.

6 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not trying to pile on Russ too much here, but would anyone really give up meaningful assets to take on that salary? Presti may have to attach draft picks to it if they expect more back than someone's salary dumps.

Yeah I dont think it is that bad by any stretch.   Russ is still a commodity

The Presti prototype for the supporting cast is long, rangy guys who can guard any position but can't score.  Basically, a shooting guard that can't shoot.
At one point, you're going to have Russell Westbrook on the floor with Nerlens Noel and Roberson and people are going to wonder why Westbrook shoots so much.
I wondered that when it was KD, Ibaka, Harden...

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not trying to pile on Russ too much here, but would anyone really give up meaningful assets to take on that salary? Presti may have to attach draft picks to it if they expect more back than someone's salary dumps.

I hope for OKC's sake they don't start attaching those picks they just received to RW in a trade.  This is going to be a long, years-long, rebuild and they should hang onto every young player and draft pick they have stockpiled.

This may be a case where they may have no choice but to hang onto RW and eat his preposterous salary since the price to get rid of him may be too high for a franchise in rebuild.

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Asking teams to give up real players and picks for the right to pay a guy who is already no longer a Top 10 player $47M in 2023 is madness to me.

It would have to be a desperate, down-trodden (probably poorly run) franchise.

Otherwise, if OKC can trade Russ for other team's shorter "bad" deals, maybe a 2nd round pick or two, and don't have to attach their own picks to him, I'd probably consider that a win.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'll believe it when I see it. Asking teams to give up real players and picks for the right to pay a guy who is already no longer a Top 10 player $47M in 2023 is madness to me.

Otherwise, if OKC can trade Russ for other team's shorter "bad" deals, maybe a 2nd round pick or two, and don't have to attach their own picks to him, I'd probably consider that a win.

Can I get you into a new John Wall....

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I’m kind of surprised that the PG thing went downhill so fast. He and Russ seemed to be great buddies throughout the season. Take into account the end of the big 3 era (at least temporarily) and OKC could have actually contended in 2019 if they stayed healthy and made minor changes to the roster. Now okc is looking at possibly 5-10 years of being completely lost in the woods. Nba offseason is a fickle bitch. 

Wow.  You usually have good takes.  You think having that stash of picks/an all rookie with a top GM is wandering the woods?  LOL

Especially considering they can shop WB.  Shit is looking up.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

17 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The Heat love is real.  

13 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The Heat love is real.  

I'm sure that it is, but what do they really have to offer? And of that, what would they be willing to offer? 

I guess they can convince themselves that, if ever there was a year to take a stab at winning the East, this is it, so mortgaging their future is worth it.

I don't doubt that there are teams that wouldn't mind having Russ's energy and competitiveness on their teams, even at his price point...I just can't see them also being okay with losing substantial assets to make it happen. 

Edited by aggie08

12 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm sure that it is, but what do they really have to offer? And of that, what would they be willing to offer? 

I guess they can convince themselves that, if ever there was a year to take a stab at winning the East, this is it, so mortgaging their future is worth it.

I don't doubt that there are teams that wouldn't mind having Russ's energy and competitiveness on their teams, even at his price point...I just can't see them also being okay with losing substantial assets to make it happen. 

Double post.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Multi-team deal. That’s why any of this happens.  

And remember the NYK are technically an NBA team.   

1 hour ago, Snacks said:

I wondered that when it was KD, Ibaka, Harden...

Same thing, really.  Ibaka wasn't that good yet so you had the three of them.  Are they each going to average 30 points?  Unlikely.  Best case scenario is 75 points combined.  After that they had Kendrick Perkins and Sefolosha in the starting lineup.  Total offensive blackholes.  

52 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wow.  You usually have good takes.  You think having that stash of picks/an all rookie with a top GM is wandering the woods?  LOL

Especially considering they can shop WB.  Shit is looking up.  

I’m a college basketball guy and I follow recruiting more than the average fan. Right now there isn’t an AD or Zion in the pipeline. We are at least 4 years away from even one guy who can change the path of a franchise. Then the thunder have to land that guy by getting lucky in the lottery. Then they have to either sign free agents and build around him (overpaying and end up in the same spot as today) or trade and build. The thunder struck absolute gold in multiple drafts. It was unprecedented. It won’t happen again because the talent just isn’t there. Everyone knew KD was going to be a god. Everyone knew Russ was the fastest handler in college basketball when he was on the court. Everyone knew harden was tearing up the PAC. Then they got lucky that Russ and harden actually developed even more. 

That is lightning in a bottle and the chances of it happening again are slim, even with a 6-7 year window of picks. Im not saying it’s impossible, and the thunder were definitely going to be in this position sooner or later (and with a lot less picks), but they didn’t have to blow it up this year. They could have done it next year if they didn’t advance in the playoffs this season. 

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

OKC/OU sucks.  100%.  But Presti is a boss.  This was a heist.  

He kicked ass in the trade. I just think if he managed the roster better over the last 2 seasons (mainly by not dumping Roberson) he could have put together a formidable team this year or last. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I’m a college basketball guy and I follow recruiting more than the average fan. Right now there isn’t an AD or Zion in the pipeline. We are at least 4 years away from even one guy who can change the path of a franchise. Then the thunder have to land that guy by getting lucky in the lottery. Then they have to either sign free agents and build around him (overpaying and end up in the same spot as today) or trade and build. The thunder struck absolute gold in multiple drafts. It was unprecedented. It won’t happen again because the talent just isn’t there. Everyone knew KD was going to be a god. Everyone knew Russ was the fastest handler in college basketball when he was on the court. Everyone knew harden was tearing up the PAC. Then they got lucky that Russ and harden actually developed even more. 

That is lightning in a bottle and the chances of it happening again are slim, even with a 6-7 year window of picks. Im not saying it’s impossible, and the thunder were definitely going to be in this position sooner or later (and with a lot less picks), but they didn’t have to blow it up this year. They could have done it next year if they didn’t advance in the playoffs this season. 

These picks don't start kicking in until 2021 and that's the Miami pick.  They go until 2026.  To put it in perspective, the stars of that draft are 12 years old right now.  These picks are heavily backloaded and to say we know what draft classes look like 5 years from now is a stretch.  You mentioned Westbrook but he was an under recruited player going into UCLA.  Same with Harden out of HS.  The Clippers are about to own the NBA with guys that went to San Diego State and Fresno State.  

OKC might end up with 12-15 lottery picks in a 7 year period.  They're not going to hit on all of them but if they hit on 3, that's huge.

17 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

JFC.  You’re traumatized from all that KU failure.  It’s a great set up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, d2o said:

I think there’s a reasonable argument as to whether a desperate franchise like the Knicks would give up a bunch of assets for Russ, but he is not a commodity at all.

he’ll be getting paid $39, 41, 44, 47 million for his age 30-33 seasons. That’s fucking awful for a guy who can’t shoot and who already doesn’t help his team get out of the first round with his full athleticism available to him. 

I think there’s a reasonable argument as to whether a desperate franchise like the Knicks would give up a bunch of assets for Russ, but he is not a commodity at all.
he’ll be getting paid $39, 41, 44, 47 million for his age 30-33 seasons. That’s fucking awful for a guy who can’t shoot and who already doesn’t help his team get out of the first round with his full athleticism available to him. 
Eh, they traded for Rose and gave Noah 72m way past his prime, they are desperate to be relevant. plus Westbrook would love the fashion scene in NYC.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think an unhappy Westbrook means Presti will have to take a discounted offer from another team in order to facilitate a Westbrook trade this season.

Till Russ gets traded, OKC may have to endure a similar frustrating season like both New Orleans (AD) and Spurs (Kawhi) recently went through.

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I think an unhappy Westbrook means Presti will have to take a discounted offer from another team in order to facilitate a Westbrook trade this season.

Till Russ gets traded, OKC may have to endure a similar frustrating season like both New Orleans (AD) and Spurs (Kawhi) recently went through.

Or like OKC has been through the last 5 years. 

Sucks to be Toronto... spurned by Kawhi    

Pretty sure if you extend that list a bit Kawhi would make a second appearance.

- please lord let russ go to Miami with butler. What a glorious shit show that will be. 

- Cousins will probably work in LA. But lol at people buying the new, baby kissing loving version of him. Besides the majority of his career in SAC, and that time in NOLA where the team got markedly better without him, he has been great that one year.

- The Lakers have done a pretty great job of constructing their roster on the no Kawhi plan b plan. They won't win a ring but they're a top 5 team. They'll make it far enough to where Lebron throwing his teammates under the bus and giving up will actually be news. Which will be great success for a team that nobody has cared about in a decade. Especially as they are now the 2nd best team that plays at Staples. They'll need some drama to stay relevant.

btw, is Kawhi's leg 100%? I'm pessimistic about this injury which has been under the radar all year.  I got a feeling he's going to miss a lot of time with LAC. 
When in doubt, assume Kawhi being hurt is just him being an autistic weirdo. He's fine, physically.

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
28 minutes ago, NowThis said:
btw, is Kawhi's leg 100%? I'm pessimistic about this injury which has been under the radar all year.  I got a feeling he's going to miss a lot of time with LAC. 

When in doubt, assume Kawhi being hurt is just him being an autistic weirdo. He's fine, physically.

I have not put much time into thinking about this, but I kind of wonder if he might be high-functioning. I think it would be cool if that were the reason why he acts like he does.

I think most of us have a vision of what autism looks like and it isn't entirely accurate. He could also just be extremely anti-social and that is fine too to be like that.

34 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
36 minutes ago, NowThis said:

after the news conference, he was limping off the stage, gingerly taking the 2 steps down.  It's obvious he's got a knee/leg situation, even in play - wasn't getting the lift on the jumper. Given the drama with medical team, we'll never find out.  He's a mental case fo sho. 

• Fuck You 1

11 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You're drastically overreacting.   PG, Kawhi, Harden, Russ, Giannis and many more were not thought of as franchise changing players as late as the draft.    Shit we just saw Ja Morant come out of NOWHERE.    There will always be good players out there.   Presti has a proven track record of finding them.   I would trust him with draft picks more than just about any other GM in the league.   Getting 2 pretty good players, 5 1st round picks and 2 pick swaps is too good to pass up.   

Edited by d2o

31 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Kawhi Leonard does not have autism ffs.

He does have a tight circle around him who don't feel the need to DM the Chris Broussard's of the world to make themselves feel important. Stealthily recruiting KD and then George (the latter requiring convincing that he should ask out of OKC one year into his deal), forcing the Clippers hand to make it happen, interviewing with members of the Lakers brass individually to try to sniff out the organizational dysfunction for himself... there's a lot more going on with him than he lets on.

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

He does have a tight circle around him who don't feel the need to DM the Chris Broussard's of the world to make themselves feel important. Stealthily recruiting KD and then George (the latter requiring convincing that he should ask out of OKC one year into his deal), forcing the Clippers hand to make it happen, interviewing with members of the Lakers brass individually to try to sniff out the organizational dysfunction for himself... there's a lot more going on with him than he lets on.

I honestly don't believe any of that. It makes a good story to make him and his jackass uncle look like power brokers while conveniently throwing a gigantic smoke screen over the whole tampering issue.