2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

6 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

He honestly is a Riley type guy but they will have to get other teams involved.  They dont have the picks it would take to get Presti to pull the trigger.   I think he and Butler would end up fighting though

lets handicap this thing.  (odds to win the NBA title)

West:

1. la clippers (3-1)
  2. houston (7-1)
  3. la lakers (7-1)
  4. utah (10-1)
  5. denver (15-1)
  6. portland (15-1)
  7. golden state (15-1)
  8. san antonio (40-1)
  9. minnesota (50-1)
  10. sacramento (100-1)
  11. oklahoma city (100-1)
  12. dallas (100-1)
  13. new orleans (100-1)
  14. phoenix (200-1)
  15. memphis (200-1)

East:

1. philadelphia (5-1)
  2. milwaukee (7-1)
  3. indiana (20-1)
  4. boston (25-1)
  5. brooklyn (40-1)
  6. toronto (40-1)
  7. miami (50-1)
  8. orlando (100-1)
  9. detroit (150-1)
  10. atlanta (150-1)
  11. washington (200-1)
  12. chicago (200-1)
  13. ny knicks (200-1)
  14. cleveland (250-1)
  15. charlotte (250-1)

I like Lakers signing Cousins, very good value at that price.  I like Green (a little overpay perhaps), Cook (great open/catch shooter from 3), Cousins, and KCP signings.  All of them will benefit with AD/LeBron on the floor.  Not a huge fan of Dudley signing because of defense, but not terrible at that priced obviously.  Rondo is good value but not a good fit with LeBron from everything we saw last year, although it might be a little better with more shooting now.  He might be really solid when it counts in the playoffs.  Some volatile personalities, things with health and chemistry could definitely go wrong, but with low value contracts, that's what you have to risk.  I'd consider starting either Cook or KCP instead of Rondo to start games, and let Rondo dominate the second unit minutes.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I never said that.  Lol.  But I think they did get plenty.  Just think OKC blew the doors off this trade. 

Presti made an absolute killing. I can't even imagine trying to keep a poker face with Toronto and LA in a bidding war, throwing the world at you, knowing that trading for George (and, by extension, signing Kawhi) is the difference between being heavy title favorites and also-rans. He played them off each other perfectly.

Even if PG hadn't asked to be traded, and the Clippers offered OKC this deal out of the blue, Presti would have done backflips on his way to signing it. The Clippers had to do it, but damn, what a haul.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Presti made an absolute killing. I can't even imagine trying to keep a poker face with Toronto and LA in a bidding war, throwing the world at you, knowing that trading for George (and, by extension, signing Kawhi) is the difference between being heavy title favorites and also-rans. He played them off each other perfectly.

Even if PG hadn't asked to be traded, and the Clippers offered OKC this deal out of the blue, Presti would have done backflips on his way to signing it. The Clippers had to do it, but damn, what a haul.

The thing is, they both made out.  Clippers had to do it but they got KL and PG in one haul and as a result, are top contenders for the next three years.

Bally move by Presti and that neither Toronto or the Clippers knew what the other was thinking.

Rare blockbuster where both sides won.

19 minutes ago, UTDD said:

I like Lakers signing Cousins, very good value at that price.  I like Green (a little overpay perhaps), Cook (great open/catch shooter from 3), Cousins, and KCP signings.  All of them will benefit with AD/LeBron on the floor.  Not a huge fan of Dudley signing because of defense, but not terrible at that priced obviously.  Rondo is good value but not a good fit with LeBron from everything we saw last year, although it might be a little better with more shooting now.  He might be really solid when it counts in the playoffs.  Some volatile personalities, things with health and chemistry could definitely go wrong, but with low value contracts, that's what you have to risk.  I'd consider starting either Cook or KCP instead of Rondo to start games, and let Rondo dominate the second unit minutes.

I think they had to overpay Green as a consolation for having to ask him to wait.    He was going back to TOR if Kawhi did.   He would have got a decent offer if he just went ahead and signed elsewhere.    At the end of the day its only two yrs so if worse comes they can dump him next yr.   Its not like they are gonna have real space available next summer so that contract isnt stopping them from doing anything then either.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I think they had to overpay Green as a consolation for having to ask him to wait.    He was going back to TOR if Kawhi did.   He would have got a decent offer if he just went ahead and signed elsewhere.    At the end of the day its only two yrs so if worse comes they can dump him next yr.   Its not like they are gonna have real space available next summer so that contract isnt stopping them from doing anything then either.

Watching D20, P, MBU, etc. circle the wagons for LeBron-constructed teams is like watching me convince myself that the 3 star JAG Oscar Giles signs after whiffing on all the top targets is actually a diamond in the rough. The price of fandom. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

Watching D20, P, MBU, etc. circle the wagons for LeBron-constructed teams is like watching me convince myself that the 3 star JAG Oscar Giles signs after whiffing on all the top targets is actually a diamond in the rough. The price of fandom. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

da hell are you talking about?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

If you're going to make a dumbass post, please do us all the favor and just do it once, like I did your mom.

Find one post by me defending what the Lakers did this summer.  Or what the Cavs have did while Lebron was there.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

We honestly debated whether anyone was stupid enough to take the Westbrook contract.  We should have known better.  (Miami would be paying both him and Jimmy Butler +$40M each when they're 35 years old at the same time.)

Riley is prolly leaking this to make the Knicks overpay so there's that.

21 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

And here I was trying to figure out why I had you on ignore.    You laid low for a while and I forgot.    You got me.   Back you go.

Edited by d2o

I’m kind of surprised that the PG thing went downhill so fast. He and Russ seemed to be great buddies throughout the season. Take into account the end of the big 3 era (at least temporarily) and OKC could have actually contended in 2019 if they stayed healthy and made minor changes to the roster. Now okc is looking at possibly 5-10 years of being completely lost in the woods. Nba offseason is a fickle bitch. 

27 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, they had to do it and he's the perfect SG for LeBron/AD on the floor, but it might have been possible to sign him for 13 and KCP for 7 vs 8 and then maybe they have a shot at Marcus Morris at 9M.  That probably would have been the perfect scenario given what players were floating out there after whiffing on Kawhi.  I really like Cook signing at such a cheap price, I think he is very underrated at that value and he shot over 47% on open catch and shoot 3s and is career overall 42% 3 point shooter.  He will get those looks this year more often so whether that volume keeps that efficiency close (anything over 40% is great) remains to be seen.  

Clippers clear favorite because their other pieces allow great defensive versatility although they might have to worry about AD/Cousins and Embiid/Horford in possible playoff matchups with their current bigs.  I think they are a favorite with the Sixers, Bucks, Lakers, and Houston pretty good contenders if healthy.   

3 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I’m kind of surprised that the PG thing went downhill so fast. He and Russ seemed to be great buddies throughout the season. Take into account the end of the big 3 era (at least temporarily) and OKC could have actually contended in 2019 if they stayed healthy and made minor changes to the roster. Now okc is looking at possibly 5-10 years of being completely lost in the woods. Nba offseason is a fickle bitch. 

Me too, but I think their lack of playoff success together is probably what soured it the most, they probably thought they were true contenders when it started.  (especially PG I would imagine)

1 minute ago, UTDD said:

Yeah, they had to do it and he's the perfect SG for LeBron/AD on the floor, but it might have been possible to sign him for 13 and KCP for 7 vs 8 and then maybe they have a shot at Marcus Morris at 9M.  That probably would have been the perfect scenario given what players were floating out there after whiffing on Kawhi.  I really like Cook signing at such a cheap price, I think he is very underrated at that value and he shot over 47% on open catch and shoot 3s and is career overall 42% 3 point shooter.  He will get those looks this year more often so whether that volume keeps that efficiency close (anything over 40% is great) remains to be seen.  

Clippers clear favorite because their other pieces allow great defensive versatility although they might have to worry about AD/Cousins and Embiid/Horford in possible playoff matchups with their current bigs.  I think they are a favorite with the Sixers, Bucks, Lakers, and Houston pretty good contenders if healthy.   

I will grant you that.     I thought they would get Morris but I didnt think they needed to bring back KCP honestly.

3 minutes ago, UTDD said:

Me too, but I think their lack of playoff success together is probably what soured it the most, they probably thought they were true contenders when it started.  (especially PG I would imagine)

Maybe it could have been PG's plan from the start.    He's always wanted to go back home.   With the "delayed S&T" of KD that was floated about maybe it was his plan.   He got exactly what he wanted.   To get his full max deal and to go back home.   Then he gets to play with a better player as a bonus.

1 minute ago, d2o said:

I will grant you that.     I thought they would get Morris but I didnt think they needed to bring back KCP honestly.

Definitely rather have Morris than KCP and I think both are Klutch clients too?  I think they probably felt that with Rondo and Cook as two guards (and then Green with his age and injury), that KCP was an insurance policy.

10 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The playoffs showed they needed some more pieces outside of them.   A lot of pieces.

19 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The "Big 3 era" wasn't what was keeping OKC from being actual contenders. Not much of a Big 3 on Utah and Portland.

Also, OKC doesn't have to keep all of those draft picks until they are conveyed. They are assets that can be moved for good players should their timetable speed up. SGA has the makings of an All-Star point guard. Gallinari is actually a really good basketball player, and his next contract should be much more friendly should Presti decide to keep him.

The West had already zoomed past OKC this offseason; this just makes it official, removes them from salary cap hell, and gives them a hell of a bounty to play with.

Edited by aggie08

I think they needed time. Maybe Roberson helps if he is healthy but I would have never kept him if making a move for George was on the menu. The could have gotten better with some small decisions. The biggest factor in a possible okc contender would have been the decline of CP3, the break up and injury of GSW, keeping the clippers from getting Kawhi, and keeping RW and PG healthy and in rhythm together. That doesn’t make them better than the other teams in the west but it makes the pack in the west much tighter and who knows what happens. 

5 minutes ago, d2o said:

The playoffs showed they needed some more pieces outside of them.   A lot of pieces.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

The "Big 3 era" wasn't what was keeping OKC from being actual contenders. Not much of a Big 3 on Utah and Portland.

Also, OKC doesn't have to keep all of those draft picks until they are conveyed. They are assets that can be moved for good players should their timetable speed up. SGA has the makings of an All-Star point guard. Gallo is actually a really good basketball player, and his next contract should be much more friendly should Presti decide to keep him.

The West had already zoomed past OKC this offseason; this just makes it official, removes them from salary cap hell, and gives them a hell of a bounty to play with.

yeah they will at least in position when the next superstar is unhappy and can shoot their shot.

5 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Also, OKC doesn't have to keep all of those draft picks until they are conveyed. They are assets that can be moved for good players should their timetable speed up. SGA has the makings of an All-Star point guard. Gallo is actually a really good basketball player, and his next contract should be much more friendly should Presti decide to keep him.

OKC doesn’t need an all star point guard to stay relevant and to potentially be viable as a franchise. They need generationally great players. They had 4 in the last 10 years if you count PG. Now they’re looking down the barrel of having zero.  The strength of the franchise and the fans is about to be tested. Okc won’t survive 15 years of lottery picks. 

Edited by Jhawk

1 minute ago, Jhawk said:

I think they needed time. Maybe Roberson helps if he is healthy but I would have never kept him if making a move for George was on the menu. The could have gotten better with some small decisions. The biggest factor in a possible okc contender would have been the decline of CP3, the break up and injury of GSW, keeping the clippers from getting Kawhi, and keeping RW and PG healthy and in rhythm together. That doesn’t make them better than the other teams in the west but it makes the pack in the west much tighter and who knows what happens. 

They needed what they needed for yrs now.    Shooters/scorers.  Roberson is another great defender but a complete liability on offense   Teams could pack the lane and/or focus on PG and Russ cause they had no one else who could score outside of Adams on a lob.  

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

They needed what they needed for yrs now.    Shooters/scorers.  Roberson is another great defender but a complete liability on offense   Teams could pack the lane and/or focus on PG and Russ cause they had no one else who could score outside of Adams on a lob.  

100% agree. But not signing Roberson or moving him and some other assets to become a contender could have been much less painful than a 10 year rebuild that is based on the luck of the ping pong balls. I think presti is possibly the best GM in the league, he is great at hunting to improve his team, but he has some head scratcher moves with guys he wants to keep. 

Edited by Jhawk

Philly is the only contender I can see making any sort of sense as a destination for Westbrook, but I can't see how they could get it done. Lakers would be funny, but they don't have anything to offer OKC for him. Maybe the Magic think they are close enough in a weak East and shuffle some young pieces for him.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

That's what they've been like for years thanks to Presti.  Even with Durant and Westbrook, they had 2 legit scorers, one guy who was OK and two other starters who were black holes on offense.  OKC was in a good position to be contenders if they added a few shooters in the lineup but they were pretty much capped on the money front.  They weren't getting anyone except Nerlens Noel, who is the most Presti of Presti players.  Between him and Roberson they have zero offensive skills despite playing basketball since they were five years old.

You need roughly 110 points to win a game.  Durant/PG combined with Westbrook is only 60 points.  Adams will get you 15 but they need 35 points from the other guys and that's been a struggle the past few years.  The supporting cast has been staggeringly bad.  Within just a few games, Corey Brewer was the best option last year and that was after the Lakers waived him and no one else wanted him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

100% agree. But not signing Roberson or moving him and some other assets to become a contender could have been much less painful than a 10 year rebuild that is based on the luck of the ping pong balls. I think presti is possibly the best GM in the league, he is great at hunting to improve his team, but he has some head scratcher moves with guys he wants to keep. 

The Presti prototype for the supporting cast is long, rangy guys who can guard any position but can't score.  Basically, a shooting guard that can't shoot.

At one point, you're going to have Russell Westbrook on the floor with Nerlens Noel and Roberson and people are going to wonder why Westbrook shoots so much.

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

100% agree. But not signing Roberson or moving him and some other assets to become a contender could have been much less painful than a 10 year rebuild that is based on the luck of the ping pong balls.

Not if PG is looking at the front door.    Clearly he was ready to go.   He looked super happy about the trade.