2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

He doesn't owe anyone...but you can still be professional. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt if not for the whole San Antonio debacle.

He ceased to be a professional the minute he started pulling his shit with the Spurs. He's a hell of a basketball player but the furthest thing from a professional off the floor.

On 6/29/2019 at 1:09 PM, LTtxfan said:

I think Uncle Dennis will keep Kawhi in the Eastern Conference...... away from Lebron's team till the Finals.

Remember Uncle Dennis works in New Jersey...

I waivered on this prediction some a day or so ago, but based on Jalen Rose' s comments today it appears Kawhi will sign for 2 more years in Toronto.... gutsy move by Kawhi if he stays.

It does make some sense for Kawhi to not be in LBJ's shadow in LA, and winning the Eastern Conference with Raptors seems like an easier path to the NBA Finals for next season.  Consider this -- if Lakers or Toronto don't make the Finals next year, Kawhi and LBJ would only have two games against each other in 2019-20 season.

2 hours ago, d2o said:

Wow, that was so bad I didn't even realize Josh Jackson was even in the deal at first.    Wow.    Didn't they trade up to get  Melton too last yr?   I know they were supposed to be really high on him.

No the Rockets drafted Melton. He was traded along with Anderson's salary to Phoenix.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

man, you must be disappointed, but thanks for the news.  Good to see the NBA hasn't gone wild in the power imbalance and overall this is good for the Lakers as they get to sign some good players. Let it be true then!  Although wasn't KL on the LA Freeways today? 

Where are they going to find them at this point? They will probably just blow some cash on Cousins on a 1+1 and hope they can pick off some buyouts later. The best remaining guys are duplicates which they could use, but they still need starters. Are they bring KCP back to play the point because I assume Rondo is a non starter?

Plus, they needed that other max guy this year before Davis comes due next year.

Edited by Brew

5 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

He doesn’t owe anyone anything, but it’s still an asshole move to buttfuck other teams’ year in free agency by dragging his feet when every other free agent had their shit decided and worked out by 6pm Sunday. 

Agreed, but why not fuck the Lakers over? They have 2 top 5 guys, so if he can drag them along until the market clears then it makes it harder for them to be in his way for another title. They could have said make your decision or we’re moving on even though it would never happen. 

2 hours ago, Brew said:

Agreed, but why not fuck the Lakers over? They have 2 top 5 guys, so if he can drag them along until the market clears then it makes it harder for them to be in his way for another title. They could have said make your decision or we’re moving on even though it would never happen. 

All the renewed Laker hate makes me think we are doing something right.  

30 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Renewed? 

Well no one really cared one way or the other when we sucked for the first significant stretch in our history.   People care about TheLakers again, and that’s the way it should be.  The Lakers, like it or not, are THE premier franchise in the NBA, and it’s not even close.

9 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Well no one really cared one way or the other when we sucked for the first significant stretch in our history.   People care about TheLakers again, and that’s the way it should be.  The Lakers, like it or not, are THE premier franchise in the NBA, and it’s not even close.

Sbbruin be all like

giphy.gif

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

All the renewed Laker hate makes me think we are doing something right.  

I have no issue with the Lakers and am a Lebron fan. However, it would be in the Raptors and Kawhi’s interest (if he stays) to cause LA problems long-term by dragging this out. L

35 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's funny that the Dallas Mavericks have won the NBA Championship more recently than the Lakers.   😀

I like that move by Memphis.  Don't just give him away.  I know Iggy may not like it, but that's not their issue, even if they have to invent an injury during the season to keep his load management in tact, they should take it to close to the deadline if they need to.  One of the contenders will bite.

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Maybe. I feel like Memphis has no leverage. Teams for whom Iggy might make a difference can afford to wait until the trade deadline.

So can the Grizzlies.  They're at least a year away and maybe two from trying to make the playoffs.  Iggy tends to be a good dude so he may embrace the mentor role while there.  I would sit down with him and let him know my intentions and if he works with us, we'll do everything we can to keep his minutes manageable and get him to a contender.  For him, it may be better to wait to see how it all plays out.  Hate to be traded or sign with Milwaukee to see Giannis rip his knee and then have to work to be traded again.  

Iggy supposedly got traded for speaking out against the Warriors club and their injury mismanagement. He had a fractured leg last year during the playoffs, but they kept calling it a "bone bruise" and asking him to come back for the Finals. He seemed to insinuate that teammates thought it wasn't as serious as it actually was, and they would pressure him to come back too, which the team ownership allowed to happen. That's pretty shitty.

In light of the KD injury, it sounds a bit problematic for that organization if they really are ignoring legitimate injuries and risking players health for rings. Has a bit of a Bud Kilmer feeling to it. But I could see GS wanting to get rid of him quickly and paying a 1st to get it done with the first buyer with capspace available.

Here's a link for it: http://www.knbr.com/2019/06/26/andre-iguodala-discusses-confusion-over-2018-playoffs-injury-durant-injury-on-680/

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Iggy supposedly got traded for speaking out against the Warriors club and their injury mismanagement. He had a fractured leg last year during the playoffs, but they kept calling it a "bone bruise" and asking him to come back for the Finals. He seemed to insinuate that teammates thought it wasn't as serious as it actually was, and they would pressure him to come back too, which the team ownership allowed to happen. That's pretty shitty.

In light of the KD injury, it sounds a bit problematic for that organization if they really are ignoring legitimate injuries and risking players health for rings. Has a bit of a Bud Kilmer feeling to it. But I could see GS wanting to get rid of him quickly and paying a 1st to get it done with the first buyer with capspace available.

Here's a link for it: http://www.knbr.com/2019/06/26/andre-iguodala-discusses-confusion-over-2018-playoffs-injury-durant-injury-on-680/

If somehow down the road Durant spoke out against the organization too in similar ways, that might actually be almost as big a note on their dynasty as their winning ways.

12 minutes ago, UTDD said:

If somehow down the road Durant spoke out against the organization too in similar ways, that might actually be almost as big a note on their dynasty as their winning ways.

The 30 for 30 on their dynasty in about 15-20 yrs is gonna be fascinating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Perhaps KD and Iggy were unhappy with the Warriors for letting go of the old trainer (Chelsea Lane) because she wanted more money. I remember her being on the bench A LOT with the players over the previous couple of years.

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So can the Grizzlies.  They're at least a year away and maybe two from trying to make the playoffs.  Iggy tends to be a good dude so he may embrace the mentor role while there.  I would sit down with him and let him know my intentions and if he works with us, we'll do everything we can to keep his minutes manageable and get him to a contender.  For him, it may be better to wait to see how it all plays out.  Hate to be traded or sign with Milwaukee to see Giannis rip his knee and then have to work to be traded again.  

At his $17M contract not many teams are going to be giving up a talent of assets to acquire him, so Memphis could wait and then lose him for nothing.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

At his $17M contract not many teams are going to be giving up a talent of assets to acquire him, so Memphis could wait and then lose him for nothing.

Its way early.   Teams wont really want him until the stretch run and playoffs.    Not a big deal if they hold him and manage him minutes until the deadline.    Its worth trying but I suspect they will end up buying him out after the deadline.

11 hours ago, MrBig said:

Perhaps KD and Iggy were unhappy with the Warriors for letting go of the old trainer (Chelsea Lane) because she wanted more money. I remember her being on the bench A LOT with the players over the previous couple of years.

Iggy's comments were from his injury handling last year, so he's referring to Lane. A completely different staff than Durant's. The current staff is part of Phoenix's famed group that is credited with extending Steve Nash's career and getting Grant Hill on the court. They have a very conservative reputation. Iggy is notorious for speaking out of both sides of his mouth. In the same interview, he said:

“I don’t think it was internal pressure at all,” Iguodala said of how the Warriors’ training staff handled his left leg injury. “It had nothing to do with me, When you read an MRI, it can be read so many different ways. Even if I thought what it was or they thought what it was, we were all clear and on the same page. My leg was stable. In that area, even if you have a bruise or a fracture, it is very similar. People don’t realize that. We were both on the same page that it was stable and that part of the body was fine to go play. Regardless of what I thought it was or what they thought it was or what anybody thought it was, we were all on the same page that I was good to go. It was a stable leg.”

“I always have great faith. I always talk about all of our trainers, past, present and hopefully in the future. We have a great group of guys.”

He had his own team sign off on him playing, just as Durant did.

Edited by aggie08

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

I think somewhere around 40% of NBA players were free agents this offseason.

With more and more short term deals due to lack of max and super max deals, it's going to be like this moving forward. Frankly, I think the NBA is happy with the outcome because FA in the NBA is an outstanding couple of days of action.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

rough start for zions first SL game

edit couple nice dunks back to back lol

The rip away from Knox and dunk was fun, but you can see he's going to have an adjustment period.  First thing he needs to do is lose about 20 lbs, but his lack of length on the inside is evident when he's trying to finish.  Had at least 3 blocked, he'll need to adjust and understand how to use his body to draw contact and create space.  His explosion off the floor is quite impressive though.  Definitely going to be a fun guy to watch but may struggle a tad the first couple of months with shooting.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

The rip away from Knox and dunk was fun, but you can see he's going to have an adjustment period.  First thing he needs to do is lose about 20 lbs, but his lack of length on the inside is evident when he's trying to finish.  Had at least 3 blocked, he'll need to adjust and understand how to use his body to draw contact and create space.  His explosion off the floor is quite impressive though.  Definitely going to be a fun guy to watch but may struggle a tad the first couple of months with shooting.

yea that shooting form is ug-ly. line drives for ft's too. 

agreed on the first step. might be one of the best in the L already

he's Bo Jackson in the NBA.  

Needs to make sure not to get too heavy over the years.  Do aerobics, don't lift too much. Good think he's got the super thick football legs to support the stress from the body.  Needs to arc his FTs and jumpers much more. ROY no doubt. 

22 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Just so many Grandmama or Barkley comps for Zion.... it's almost too easy.  Taller Barkley is more apt for me, but Chuck figured out a stand still jump shot and a post up game, how and where will Zion develop his game?

I was never impressed with Barkley's athleticism. LJ is closer for me, though his current game is more jumbo Shawn Kemp.