2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

14 hours ago, Llogg said:

It's not about the ability to front load. It's about limiting the ability of stars to demand exorbitant salaries in the twilight of their careers. If your total contact value is capped you can still get paid up front but you can't use your current value to undermine a team's ability to remain competitive in the long term.

So basically more rules to save teams from themselves.    No one forced the Rockets to sign a 33 yr old under-sized PG to a $200M.   No one forced OKC or WASH to sign Russ or Wallto a supermax deal .    At what point do you hold the team responsible for their situations?    Its not the players undermining the team's ability to be competitive.

Edited by d2o

2 hours ago, d2o said:

So basically more rules to save teams from themselves.    No one forced the Rockets to sign a 33 yr old under-sized PG to a $200M.   No one forced OKC or WASH to sign Russ or Wallto a supermax deal .    At what point do you hold the team responsible for their situations?    Its not the players undermining the team's ability to be competitive.

I feel like we subverted the issue a lot of fans have.  If ball clubs do stupid stuff that's on them, it's players dictating their futures while under contract (not being free agents) like AD, Paul George, Kawhi, Kevin Love etc.  There also is a huge canary in the coal mine and that's Lebron having a de facto agency working angles for him while representing other players.  As Lebron's influence wanes, perhaps this situation will work itself out organically, but having Klutch Sports at his disposal and trying to undercut some relationships while working for others has brought some volatility into the equation.  All of that typed, it feels like the horse is out of the barn and the NBA will never be able to put it back.  Players want to dictate where they play, so unless you put more stick (penalties) around trying to force yourself out AND more carrot to players to play out those contract, it's going to be more of the same, which isn't all bad.  Although I think the NBA offseason is way more fun than the NBA season (not playoffs) now.

• Like 1

It isn’t about skill with melo. It’s about fit. There are a lot of guys who could make a roster. Jordan could still make a roster if her was in shape. Melo couldn’t fit on a roster with his best friends. Melo is a cancer. Right now he is benign. The second he is added to a roster he becomes small and stage one. Don’t need to do anything but let’s watch it. Then when he realizes he has to come off the bench or he is only getting 10 shots a game he becomes stage 2/3 and it’s time to cut him out. 

He’s pulled this “I’ll play nice” bullshit 3 times and within 2 months of playing nice he is in the media criticizing his role on the team. It’s a testament to his own arrogance. Of course you could make a roster. But this isn’t baseball where the only thing that matters is individual statistics. You aren’t a team player and that’s why no team wants you. Especially a contending team. 

• Like 3

It isn’t about skill with melo. It’s about fit. There are a lot of guys who could make a roster. Jordan could still make a roster if her was in shape. Melo couldn’t fit on a roster with his best friends. Melo is a cancer. Right now he is benign. The second he is added to a roster he becomes small and stage one. Don’t need to do anything but let’s watch it. Then when he realizes he has to come off the bench or he is only getting 10 shots a game he becomes stage 2/3 and it’s time to cut him out. 
He’s pulled this “I’ll play nice” bullshit 3 times and within 2 months of playing nice he is in the media criticizing his role on the team. It’s a testament to his own arrogance. Of course you could make a roster. But this isn’t baseball where the only thing that matters is individual statistics. You aren’t a team player and that’s why no team wants you. Especially a contending team. 
That and he sucks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, NowThis said:

Rockets badly needed mid range scoring and deactivated Melo for whatever lame reason(s).

So many different angles of wrong and I actually like Melo.

First and foremost the Rockets don't even try to shoot midrange shots

Just now, d2o said:

So many different angles of wrong and I actually like Melo.

First and foremost the Rockets don't even try to shoot midrange shots

well that's exactly why they need him.  Also, midrange comes from Faried and Nene when they are in - and it's pretty effective even given the low quantity. Paul also had a decent midrange which was sorely missed in 2018 G7. 

33 minutes ago, NowThis said:

well that's exactly why they need him.  Also, midrange comes from Faried and Nene when they are in - and it's pretty effective even given the low quantity. Paul also had a decent midrange which was sorely missed in 2018 G7. 

If that is what you are going with, we don't need to discuss this any further

12 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

If ESPN ever really starts to feel the hit from people abandoning cable and doesn’t offer as much to the NBA for media rights in the next contract, there is going to be chaos.   I think it could happen, too.  Because of ESPN declining, Disney stock was complete ass during a prolonged bull market despite Star Wars and Marvel and everything else they did killing it at the box office, until finally the stock started moving up recently with the new streaming service announcement.

The last time the shit really hit the fan in the NBA was the late 90s lockout.  That resulted in max contracts that were something like 12 million a year for a while.  Before the lockout, Jordan made 30 million a year his last couple of years in Chicago, and a few other guys like Shaq, KG and Mourning had just signed 100+ million dollar deals.  Then the max for everyone not grandfathered in on one of the prior mega deals was like 5 yrs and 60 million or something.

I’m just imagining a timeline in a few years where an old broken down Damian Lillard is making 50 million a year to maybe make the playoffs, while Zion or whoever the next big thing is gets capped at half that in his prime.  Collective bargaining could get really ugly if the NBA doesn’t find new revenue streams.  Yes, the owners probably have plenty of cushion to absorb a hit, but they won’t want to and they can deal with a lockout much better than the players.

And this is why lockouts piss fans off. The average nba salary last year was $6.2M and the median was $2.5. If you can’t handle taking a year off when you make over $2M a year then you aren’t living in reality.  If you take out the guys who make less than $100k (overseas reserves and two way guys) then the median jumps to $3.8M.  Not saying the owners are always in the right, just saying that lockouts are really based in bad faith negotiations by both sides and the average fan does not identify with the players because at the end of the day they are playing a game. 50/50 revenue split 6+ billion when your major overhead is sending that money straight to the players’ pockets and not having to deal with the same overhead structure as the owners doesn’t help the players case either. $3.63B went straight to players last year according to sports reference.

What makes it worse is that the biggest stars in the game are the mouthpieces of the players. How is Dame going to preach to the fans that the owners can afford to take the hit when he is guaranteed to make $285M over the next few years. Or KD talking about selfish owners when he is about to make shitloads of money to not even play  for a year and to maybe be 80% of what he was prior to his injury. Fans love to hear that. 

I agree with you that the NBA is going to have major problems if the TV money doesn’t increase again. I think silver is the best commissioner in sports right now but he has his plate full with challenges on the horizon. Given the history of borderline corruption in the players union I wouldn’t count on having a willing partner in facing those challenges. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jhawk said:

And this is why lockouts piss fans off. The average nba salary last year was $6.2M and the median was $2.5. If you can’t handle taking a year off when you make over $2M a year then you aren’t living in reality.  If you take out the guys who make less than $100k (overseas reserves and two way guys) then the median jumps to $3.8M.  Not saying the owners are always in the right, just saying that lockouts are really based in bad faith negotiations by both sides and the average fan does not identify with the players because at the end of the day they are playing a game. 50/50 revenue split 6+ billion when your major overhead is sending that money straight to the players’ pockets and not having to deal with the same overhead structure as the owners doesn’t help the players case either. $3.63B went straight to players last year according to sports reference.

What makes it worse is that the biggest stars in the game are the mouthpieces of the players. How is Dame going to preach to the fans that the owners can afford to take the hit when he is guaranteed to make $285M over the next few years. Or KD talking about selfish owners when he is about to make shitloads of money to not even play  for a year and to maybe be 80% of what he was prior to his injury. Fans love to hear that. 

I agree with you that the NBA is going to have major problems if the TV money doesn’t increase again. I think silver is the best commissioner in sports right now but he has his plate full with challenges on the horizon. Given the history of borderline corruption in the players union I wouldn’t count on having a willing partner in facing those challenges. 

This makes no sense.   First off if its a lockout it the owners who are refusing to proceed.    Next, every time there has been a lockout it has been the owners crying broke.   Those same owners come back and approve constant overpays and ways to circumvent the rules they put int place to save themselves from themselves.    How is that on the players?   

What are you trying to say in the bold section?

35 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
3 hours ago, d2o said:

It's kinda crazy to say this, but that seems like pretty good value for Draymond.

I definitely thought his max would be higher.    Its a good deal for both parties.   They lock him up now and avoid the drama they might have this season with him being on a pending FA.   And its one less year on the back end than if they let him get to FA as well.

18 hours ago, d2o said:

I definitely thought his max would be higher.    Its a good deal for both parties.   They lock him up now and avoid the drama they might have this season with him being on a pending FA.   And its one less year on the back end than if they let him get to FA as well.

I think the main value of the extension is maximizing his trade value for the inevitable rebuild. Yes, he's been a foundational piece for their historic run, but he doesn't bring the same value as Klay or Curry. You can imagine at the trade deadline somebody like the Knicks jumping on the opportunity to get Draymond for picks and maybe a short term deal like Morris.

3 hours ago, Llogg said:

I think the main value of the extension is maximizing his trade value for the inevitable rebuild. Yes, he's been a foundational piece for their historic run, but he doesn't bring the same value as Klay or Curry. You can imagine at the trade deadline somebody like the Knicks jumping on the opportunity to get Draymond for picks and maybe a short term deal like Morris.

yeah I don't think so.   Why would the Knicks do that?   Dray as you said, is a foundational piece for them.   He is a large part of what made the team special.    I dont think he would have the same effect on other rosters.    Especially given his age now.

10 minutes ago, d2o said:

yeah I don't think so.   Why would the Knicks do that?   Dray as you said, is a foundational piece for them.   He is a large part of what made the team special.    I dont think he would have the same effect on other rosters.    Especially given his age now.

Because the Knicks are a dumpster fire run by morons who got embarrassed this offseason and could convince themselves that nabbing Green makes up for their abysmal free agent effort.

• Like 1

I don't see the Warriors rebuilding in the near future. They can be a viable contender for 3-4 more years with the Curry/Dray/Klay trio. Rumors of their demise are a bit exaggerated here. And I don't think they operate as an organization in a way where they'd be thinking "we're going to sign Green as trade bait in a year". I think they signed him because he's a central piece to a core that dominated the league for the last 4-5 years. There are a LOT of players who make more than Green who are significantly worse players.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

I don't see the Warriors rebuilding in the near future. They can be a viable contender for 3-4 more years with the Curry/Dray/Klay trio. Rumors of their demise are a bit exaggerated here. And I don't think they operate as an organization in a way where they'd be thinking "we're going to sign Green as trade bait in a year". I think they signed him because he's a central piece to a core that dominated the league for the last 4-5 years. There are a LOT of players who make more than Green who are significantly worse players.

I was not implying that trade bait was GSW's prime motivation for the extension, just that it gives them that opportunity if the first half of the year goes in the toilet without Klay or any bench play.

4 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I was not implying that trade bait was GSW's prime motivation for the extension, just that it gives them that opportunity if the first half of the year goes in the toilet without Klay or any bench play.

Possibly. I just don't see them thinking anything but "if we put the right pieces around our big 3, we can contend for titles for 3-5 more years". Which is true. Even if they struggle this year, I doubt they'll blow it up. 

Edited by BradInATX

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Not really remotely likely IMO.    I could see them resting Steph and letting Klay wait out the entire yr if they get off to a real slow start.   Take their lottery pick and whatever they can get for Russell next summer to add to the 3.   That sounds like a far more likely scenario than dumping Dray a few months after re-signing him.

Edited by d2o

7 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't post in this thread much. How offended would regular posters be if I started posting stuff on Team USA and other NBA players that will be participating in the World Cup of Basketball that commences at the end of this month?

Meh, it's the off season.   No thread police here.   That said, it still might be better to have a whole thread for it.

19 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I don't post in this thread much. How offended would regular posters be if I started posting stuff on Team USA and other NBA players that will be participating in the World Cup of Basketball that commences at the end of this month?

thanks for the trigger warning.  you may proceed.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:22 PM, Goo Punch said:

you're a washed up, volume shooting ball dominator with a history of demanding too much money/too prominent a role and you've never won anything. so, uh, yeah. 

He should have stayed in shape with the right attitude and changed roles.  Vince Carter hasn't been an all star in 12 seasons.  He's still at 42 a damn good bench guy.

How awkward does it have to be for lebron?

*phone rings*

melo: hey bron. Mind if I workout with you? Trying to make a roster this year!

bron: you know you’re my boy... CP3 and I are in LA hitting the gym. Get here!

next day at gym:

melo: so bron bron. You’re the king and all and you definitely deserved to go #1 over me. I was thinking you use that GM swag we know you got and you get me in on the Lakers. I’ll be a good sport. Promise. You already got the coach fired so it’s not like I’m going to mess with the staff. I was thinking we could be Batman and robin. You slide in at PG and feed me at the elbow. I hit that sweet turnaround J I got in the bag for about 22 a night. You make the ASG as a PG dishing 11 dimes to me every game the rest of your assists will just be gravy and you further solidify your legacy. 

Bron: yeah man that sounds good... and you’re my boy. Roster is full right now but i bet we have an injury and you know you’ll be called. Did you see that?? (Lebron points out the window)

melo: see what? (Turns to window, turns back to lebron)

bron: (runs out the back door)

4 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was no DMC fan when with the Kings or college, but I legit feel bad for the dude... He may be done.  And by that I mean a 15-18 minute big off the bench future.

Sucks to see a guy’s career come crashing down no matter who it is. 

51 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was no DMC fan when with the Kings or college, but I legit feel bad for the dude... He may be done.  And by that I mean a 15-18 minute big off the bench future.

Damn that sucks.    Really was hoping he would have his bounce back this yr.  Horrible for him individually.    Tough break for the Lakers.