2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

I am actually surprised this is the first time coming up especially with all the social justice keyboard warriors it finally gets talked about after a tweet that probably was done not thinking. I can't imagine Morey tweeting something knowing it would cause a major shit storm.

Imagine the NBA doing business in the 70's and 80's with the USSR? This is basically the same thing. The NBA did a turn the other cheek as long as you send those checks.

Also, no one ever responded to my question on the previous page.

If Tillman Fertita fired Daryl Morey wouldn't Morey have an incredible case for a lawsuit? 

56 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

Amazing. One tweet from Morey has caused lots of people to discover how much censorship corporations that do business in China perform back home. 

Just like the one child policy, I don’t think the mainland thought this one entirely through.  

42 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

It's cute that this guy thinks Chinese gvt gives two shits about what the USA or the world thinks about them.  Hell, they don't even give two shits about what their own people think.

Not to go too cloaky, but it's interesting that one of the state arguments for more expanded trade and partnership with China was so we could "export our democratic ideals such as free speech," when in fact the opposite has happened.  If anything, we're seeing our own corporations scared shitless to offend the Chinese because of $$$$$$.

• Like 1

As others have said, it’s really rich for the nba, especially the players, to play “dumb” when it comes to China and their issues after all the social justice warrior things they’ve been doing here is ridiculous.

Guess it’s easy to take the “government/cops are bad” stance here when everyone basically agrees with them(as they should) but to pretend they don’t know what’s happening in China/Hong Kong because it would actually affect their paycheck is pretty hypocritical

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I am actually surprised this is the first time coming up especially with all the social justice keyboard warriors it finally gets talked about after a tweet that probably was done not thinking. I can't imagine Morey tweeting something knowing it would cause a major shit storm.

Imagine the NBA doing business in the 70's and 80's with the USSR? This is basically the same thing. The NBA did a turn the other cheek as long as you send those checks.

Also, no one ever responded to my question on the previous page.

If Tillman Fertita fired Daryl Morey wouldn't Morey have an incredible case for a lawsuit? 

What lawsuit?  Tillman can just say he fired Morey for hurting the Rockets brand, for affecting future revenue, or for being a huge dork.  

And don't say first amendment.  That only protects you from the US government, not a privately owned organization like the Houston Rockets. 

It will be interesting to see how the statements change once they have all left China.    If the govt is butthurt over one benign 6 word tweet there is no clue what they would do to guys there speaking out against them.   I will give them somewhat of a pass until we all get the fuck out of there.    They should have pulled out of this game though so not much may change when they do get back.

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The last thing we need right now is Lebron James in a Chinese prison for offending China.  No CR, but that would be really bad for this country right now.

There are so many crazy dynamics there.  He would likely get released at some point.  Trump would be involved and would take 100% credit.  Lebron hates that "bum", but is him helping you better than being in Chinese prison?

It would be a clusterfuck on the world stage but also here. 

On 10/9/2019 at 9:51 AM, Machinator said:

I’d like to hear pops thoughts on the statement the NBA made in China that isn’t 10000% supportive of Morey. 

This is what happens when you mix business with politics. Major sports team owners are some of the most diplomatically cunning executives but this might just be too big for even them to handle.  The only way out might be for the Morey to get the ax upon the Chinese altar. It seems China isn’t fucking around which means this could set the NBAs best growth market back by a decade or more. 

If you take the above as a likely scenario then Morey might have cost his masters billions of dollars. Which will only hasten his blackballing. It’ll be interesting to see if/when the question of “if Morey goes away does that settle this” question is asked. If it does get asked then I bet he is gone in an hour.  

2 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I’d like to hear pops thoughts on the statement the NBA made in China that isn’t 10000% supportive of Morey. 

This is what happens when you mix business with politics. Major sports team owners are some of the most diplomatically cunning executives but this might just be too big for even them to handle.  The only way out might be for the Morey to get the ax upon the Chinese altar. It seems China isn’t fucking around which means this could set the NBAs best growth market back by a decade or more. 

If you take the above as a likely scenario then Morey might have cost his masters billions of dollars. Which will only hasten his blackballing. It’ll be interesting to see if/when the question of “if Morey goes away does that settle this” question is asked. If it does get asked then I bet he is gone in an hour.  

Morey getting fired makes this exponentially worse.  China will be the least of their worries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

The last thing we need right now is Lebron James in a Chinese prison for offending China.  No CR, but that would be really bad for this country right now.

Put Derek Fisher in a Chinese prison and let's just chalk all of this up to a misunderstanding

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Morey getting fired makes this exponentially worse.  China will be the least of their worries.

I'm not so sure about that, sure the backlash in the US will be bad, but in the US we have free speech and people can choose to watch games because of capitalism.  In China they are literally just cutting the NBA out, one entity deciding for hundreds of millions of people.  There is no choice by the people.  I'm not sure of the demographics and numbers so I'll pull a few out of my ass.  Fire Morey and the NBA fans in the US that might turn off the TV or stop buying the product are going to be a million or two at max (let's face it, most people who really care about hong kong enough to protest about it probably don't watch the NBA).  If you go against China then you are 100% turning off the TV's and merchandise to tens of millions of people.

There is a cost benefit analysis here to go with the geopolitical analysis.  If you run into Xi's arms then you are also telling players and coaches to "shut up and play", but you are going to have more eyes looking your way (potentially) in China.  If the proposition is to shut up and play and have a revenue delta of billions of dollars that get shared with the players then maybe everyone will agree that china isn't so bad and Morey is expendable.  Or, you say everyone can say whatever they want whenever they want and we won't grow revenue where governments are against that sort of thing.  If I were the NBA, i'd be talking with the players union because if China stands firm then everyone loses.  If the NBA and NBAPA agree that they want the money more than being able to take political stances then Morey is a small sacrifice.  It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.  The fallout either way is going to be fantastic to watch.  The NBA offseason delivers at an incredible rate.

Edited by Jhawk

I don't agree with the NBA's stance but do you not see the difference between calling for social change at home vs a country you're not a citizen of? Also all you "lol SJWs" are just as big of hypocrites as the NBA players complaining when they don't speak out about China and complaining when they do speak about problems here.  You're fucking worse because at least they have done something while you sit on your fucking hands. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

I don't agree with the NBA's stance but do you not see the difference between calling for social change at home vs a country you're not a citizen of? Also all you "lol SJWs" are just as big of hypocrites as the NBA players complaining when they don't speak out about China and complaining when they do speak about problems here.  You're fucking worse because at least they have done something while you sit on your fucking hands. 

You can cheer on Lebron and Curry and Harden and Kerr as they do a goodwill tour of a Chinese concentration camp.

"See - look at these prisoners, oops I mean, converts, and the delicious gruel they get to enjoy whenever they are allowed to eat!  And those reeds that they beat the converts with aren't even that sharp!"

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

You can cheer on Lebron and Curry and Harden and Kerr as they do a goodwill tour of a Chinese concentration camp.

"See - look at these prisoners, oops I mean, converts, and the delicious gruel they get to enjoy whenever they are allowed to eat!  And those reeds that they beat the converts with aren't even that sharp!"

Stop pretending like you care,  you're just using this as an excuse to criticize people you already don't like.  You don't give 2 fucks about Hong Kong and you don't know shit about China

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

giphy.gif

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Stop pretending like you care,  you're just using this as an excuse to criticize people you already don't like.  You don't give 2 fucks about Hong Kong and you don't know shit about China

I believe Michael Knight is just misinformed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1