2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I was no DMC fan when with the Kings or college, but I legit feel bad for the dude... He may be done.  And by that I mean a 15-18 minute big off the bench future.

He may not even be able to do that. That’s three pretty debilitating injuries in a year and half.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Iguodola just became priority #1

lol, why would you need him now because boogie is out? They aren't related at all. You guys need Iggy because your roster sucks and is just 2 guys and a bunch of jags. You can only hope Iggy and CP3 get bought out so you can get some good players for cheap. There is no way that Lakers roster is even top 4 in the West without major additions throughout the season. 

CP3 isn’t getting bought out. He isn’t walking from that contract and no one is paying massive dollars up front to get him out. CP3 will ride it until the final year and then be a league minimum guy for a year or two before retiring. Not a chance he walks. 

Good for Nichols.  Always liked her.  She's clearly put in the work, but, at the same time, she doesn't take sports so damn seriously.  She says what's on her mind, has a true passion and joy for the NBA, and isn't looking to tear everyone down.  Glad to see ESPN on-camera talent getting ahead based on talent, not scorching hot takes aimed at making the twitter rounds.  Need more positive voices out there...which is not Beedle for every team that isn't the Spurs.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

Whatever advanced metric Daryl is using to "factually" prove that (and, as insanely efficient as MJ was, I'm sure metrics exist that do favor Harden), I'd love to see how those same numbers look in postseason play.

I really like Morey and his relentless desire to win...but he's become a crazy curmudgeon.

11 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Whatever advanced metric Daryl is using to "factually" prove that (and, as insanely efficient as MJ was, I'm sure metrics exist that do favor Harden), I'd love to see how those same numbers look in postseason play.

I really like Morey and his relentless desire to win...but he's become a crazy curmudgeon.

He's a clown

If you allowed Jordan to run the Harden offense with the modern-day interpretation of hand-checking, he would’ve scored 50 per game.  That might not have been the best path to the Bulls winning titles, but if MJ played for a GM/coach whose primary concern was maximizing his statistical value, his records would.never be broken.  That is ignoring the fact that MJ might’ve spent a little more time on his 3pt shot if he were playing in this era.

20 hours ago, Llogg said:

I like Beadle but she's aging out of her role.

Nichols is 2 years older.  Age has little to do with it other than Beadle prefers a better work/life balance at her age.  The biggest difference is the management change with Skipper leaving.  The landscape and direction changed and she lost her advocate.  ESPN is back to basics, concentrating on tunnel vision sports because they think this will save them.  They think eyeballs will come back to an outdated cable sub outlet.  It won't but it at least gives them cover.  We tried to do it straight and we still failed, it's the audience who changed, not us.

Moving on, Morey should probably concentrate on winning a championship before shooting off his mouth.  I understand his point but context means a lot and the game is a lot different.  Nobody else is really gonna have his back on this one.  Maybe Chris Paul??  Probably not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Nichols is 2 years older.  Age has little to do with it other than Beadle prefers a better work/life balance at her age.  The biggest difference is the management change with Skipper leaving.  The landscape and direction changed and she lost her advocate.  ESPN is back to basics, concentrating on tunnel vision sports because they think this will save them.  They think eyeballs will come back to an outdated cable sub outlet.  It won't but it at least gives them cover.  We tried to do it straight and we still failed, it's the audience who changed, not us.

Lol, proof that people will argue about anything on the internet. Nichols is unattractive and her aging is less impactful. Beadle has always been attractive, getting older under the bright lights is more meaningful to her. I was not alluding to ESPN's reasoning. I was stating why I don't care much that Beadle's moving on.

15 minutes ago, Llogg said:

Lol, proof that people will argue about anything on the internet. Nichols is unattractive and her aging is less impactful. Beadle has always been attractive, getting older under the bright lights is more meaningful to her. I was not alluding to ESPN's reasoning. I was stating why I don't care much that Beadle's moving on.

I'm waiting for the book where her, Andrews, and Pam Oliver compare how many notches they have on their beds.... Tell all.  Pics maybe.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:03 PM, d2o said:

Thank the sweet baby Jesus Beedle is gone.   Couldn't stand her.

i thought Beedle was good. I'm hoping to never see / hear Paul Pierce ever again, total garbage.   Nichols isn't very fun, more suited to be a CNBC business reporter than a joyous sports reporter. How about getting rid of Hoggy Rowe and that ugly nerdette Doris Burke?

14 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I spent time with Michelle back in the day and even took her to a few UT games. She may have changed once she got under the very bright lights but she was always a fun person to be around. She would fit in well here.

really cool you went out with a future celeb. She's a cool chick.. above avg looks , would be a good fit on LHN. 

On 8/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, Vic Mackey said:

68465420_2884102804969790_89272314862900

They didn't include the Spurs last season, it's all good not like they didn't take the #2 seed down to the final minutes of game 7 and nearly pull off an upset or anything.

Edited by Chad

2 hours ago, Chad said:

They didn't include the Spurs last season, it's all good not like they didn't take the #2 seed down to the final minutes of game 7 and nearly pull off an upset or anything.

I assume these are Pelton's predictions and he wasn't all that great last year.  5/8 in the West last season, 6/8 in the East.  Missed on the East Conference Reg season champion (had them 5th).  It wasn't terrible or anything but considering other models, he was meh.  Those things tend to be talking points more than hard core predictions.  Most models underestimated the Spurs, Nuggets, Bucks, and Blazers last year.  Most overestimated Boston, Lakers, and OKC.  

Fun exercise is name one team out of those predictions one team, who will be better than the estimates, do the same for who's being overrated?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

And 6 rings.

16 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Now go win a DPOY and 8 all defense first teams 

It's not even that deep yet.    Just do it in the playoffs.  MJ was equally unstoppable in the playoffs as he was in the reg season.  He didn't have epic flameouts yr after yr.   You aren't a better scorer if you cannot get it done when it counts the most.  Morey is a clown.

• Like 1

I don't hate this.  Apparently AD, LBJ, Rondo and Dwight sat down and they laid out expectations and roles, and Howard is on board to do whatever is asked of him.  We'll see, but if Howard knows that he is no more than a role player, rim protector and rebounder, then I think this can work.  Or it could be a colossal failure.

44 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I don't hate this.  Apparently AD, LBJ, Rondo and Dwight sat down and they laid out expectations and roles, and Howard is on board to do whatever is asked of him.  We'll see, but if Howard knows that he is no more than a role player, rim protector and rebounder, then I think this can work.  Or it could be a colossal failure.

Yeah, he has flamed out on his last 6 teams now.   I honestly hope he finally understands but until he does I won't really believe it.    That said, they gave up nothing to get him and his deal will be non-guaranteed so there is almost no risk.   He can be dumped any time he gets out of line.     He should know that this is his last chance at being a part of a winning team.    Hope he has finally figured it out.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

AD's flat out refusal to play significant (or any?) time at the 5 in today's NBA is flat out baffling. It's not like it requires banging with elite 260 lbs. centers.

I'm guessing that he and LeBron have a come to Jesus moment about 30 games in.

Yeah I dont really understand that either.

21 hours ago, aggie08 said:

AD's flat out refusal to play significant (or any?) time at the 5 in today's NBA is flat out baffling. It's not like it requires banging with elite 260 lbs. centers.

I'm guessing that he and LeBron have a come to Jesus moment about 30 games in.

I really don’t understand it. It’s not like he couldn’t still handle the ball and stretch the floor from the 5.

10 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I really don’t understand it. It’s not like he couldn’t still handle the ball and stretch the floor from the 5.

When they start putting out lineups that feature LeBron, AD, Rondo, and Howard/McGee, and 4 of the 5 defenders have a foot in the paint, he may see the light.