2019 NBA Offseason Thread -- Trades, Free Agents, Firings, Retirements, Etc

Patrick Bateman

Who was saying that OKC might not get any picks from that trade?  I doubt the pick swaps happen, but we'll see. Here's a better format for the pick protections:

• Rockets’ 2024 first-round pick (top-four protected)
    • If this pick falls in its protected range, the Thunder will instead receive Houston’s 2024 and 2025 second-round picks.
  • Rockets’ 2026 first-round pick (top-four protected)
    • If this pick falls in its protected range, the Thunder will instead receive Houston’s 2026 second-round pick and $1MM in cash.
    • While that $1MM is conditional, it technically must count toward the Rockets’ traded-cash limit for the 2019/20 league year
  • The right to swap first-round picks with the Rockets in 2021 (top-four protected)
    • Since the Thunder also own the Heat’s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, Houston will receive the least favorable of those three first-rounders, while the Thunder will receive the two most favorable picks (unless the Rockets’ pick falls in the top four).
  • The right to swap first-round picks with the Rockets in 2025 (top-10 protected)
    • This pick swap was originally reported as top-20 protected, but the protection is actually 1-10, meaning it could still end up being a lottery pick.
    • The Thunder also have the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in this draft, so they won’t necessarily swap with Houston even if the Rockets’ pick falls outside the top 10 and is more favorable than Oklahoma City’s pick.

12 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Who was saying that OKC might not get any picks from that trade?  I doubt the pick swaps happen, but we'll see. Here's a better format for the pick protections:

• If this pick falls in its protected range, the Thunder will instead receive Houston’s 2024 and 2025 second-round picks.
    • If this pick falls in its protected range, the Thunder will instead receive Houston’s 2026 second-round pick and $1MM in cash.
    • While that $1MM is conditional, it technically must count toward the Rockets’ traded-cash limit for the 2019/20 league year
  • The right to swap first-round picks with the Rockets in 2021 (top-four protected)
    • Since the Thunder also own the Heat’s unprotected 2021 first-round pick, Houston will receive the least favorable of those three first-rounders, while the Thunder will receive the two most favorable picks (unless the Rockets’ pick falls in the top four).
  • The right to swap first-round picks with the Rockets in 2025 (top-10 protected)
    • This pick swap was originally reported as top-20 protected, but the protection is actually 1-10, meaning it could still end up being a lottery pick.
    • The Thunder also have the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in this draft, so they won’t necessarily swap with Houston even if the Rockets’ pick falls outside the top 10 and is more favorable than Oklahoma City’s pick.

HtownHorn.

Can't believe that shit even needed to be discussed

Edited by d2o

11 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Maybe in 2038 when this trade is completed, they should talk about restricting picks only up to a couple of years

yeah going out 7 yrs is a bit much.   Shouldn't be any more than 5 at the very most

3 minutes ago, d2o said:

HtownHorn.

I also think he's the one that, a couple months back, said that the Clippers would have to "gut" their roster just to sign Kawhi.  I get it: some of this stuff is confusing...but I at least try not to sound like I know what I'm talking about when it's a topic I'm not confident in.

1 minute ago, aggie08 said:

I also think he's the one that, a couple months back, said that the Clippers would have to "gut" their roster just to sign Kawhi.  I get it: some of this stuff is confusing...but I at least try not to sound like I know what I'm talking about when it's a topic I'm not confident in.

And then argued with guys who have proven to know a lot about the cap/trade machinations.   Nothing wrong with being wrong.   Being wrong and arguing with people who have more knowledge than you on a subject is.........well.........

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

This implies to me that the 2024, 2025, & 2026 2nd picks can't be traded until the related 1st rounders vest.

24 minutes ago, d2o said:

HtownHorn.

What? They finally released the complete deal. You couldn't answer a simple question last week, when I asked what year the pick conveyed if not in 2024 or 2026. Yes, the Thunder might end up with 3 2nd round picks in the end. Wow, you guys got me.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

What? They finally released the complete deal. You couldn't answer a simple question last week, when I asked what year the pick conveyed if not in 2024 or 2026. Yes, the Thunder might end up with 3 2nd round picks in the end. Wow, you guys got me.

The deal was finally completed, so no one could tell you exactly cause it was unknown.   The default is NEVER to just "forget about the whole thing" if the pick doesn't convey in the yr first designated.    As I said then, the protections de-escalate from there and almost always ends with either an unprotected pick or dropping to one or two 2nds.     Its NEVER you just end up with nothing.   Literally NEVER.   That was told to you from the start.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You stated with confidence that it was possible that OKC wouldn't get any picks from Houston.  As if there was a chance in hell the Sam Presti would have ever agreed to a deal that left him with even a 0.001% chance of losing their franchise player and only having the 2nd worst contract in basketball to show for it.  It's just common sense stuff.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Have you ever seen a trade with multiple first round picks that didn't have contingency picks in case protections were hit?  I agree the pick swaps are probably not going to matter because the Rockets should be the better team of the bunch, but when you trade 2 firsts with light protections, they typically convey in some manner. Also, the early report of the one swap being top 20 protected was incorrect, it's only top 10, and the other is top 4. The idea that the Rockets will land in the top 1-4 picks in 3 of these 4 years is incredibly far fetched, even an Okie should be able to do that math. 

On another note, this is the first time I have seen a contingency that includes a 2nd + 1 million dollars. Just an odd detail for losing out on a first round pick. Their second would have to be 31-34 for that 1st to not convey, which is pretty damn good, and a better spot to pick than the 26-30 area of the draft due to it being cheaper players that can be stashed. 

Edited by Dutchrudder

Htownhorn being wrong is basically Surly’s version of Old Faithful, but it’s not him being wrong all the time that’s his most impressive trait. It’s his complete and utter belligerence despite having no clue what he’s talking about.

He gave other posters shit and called me retarded last week because we said Giannis’ supermax could outpace max money in future years if the cap didn’t keep rising at the same rate. He stated over and over that it would get capped at the max percentage each year when the cap was adjusted, and it wasn’t until I got annoyed enough with his idiocy to confirm what myself and others thought that he was proven dead wrong and slinked away.

Then, since the trade was reported, he’s been saying the picks would just revert back to Houston if they’re 1-4 because he didn’t see any report specifying what happens if they’re protected, even though no trade has ever worked that way.  Now he says no one answered his question about what would happen even though multiple posters told him it would be something along these lines.

And now he defaults back to what he’s tried to say all along which is that there’s a good chance none of the pick swaps or first round picks get conveyed, even though the Rockets could have the worst record in the league in 2024 and 2026 and there would still be a 73% chance one of those two picks would convey, and that’s without adding the percentage of one of the two pick swaps happening.

I guess we’ll just have to wait another 90 minutes to see what he’s wrong about next.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, d2o said:

yeah going out 7 yrs is a bit much.   Shouldn't be any more than 5 at the very most

Isn’t the reason they’re going out this far is because of the rule that you can’t trade consecutive first rounders? I can’t believe this wasn’t seen as an obvious result of that rule. The league values superstars so much that they have to come up with something different to make these trades work. Some of these GMs and most of the players won’t even be around anymore when teams are still dealing with the trades. I guess the owner could always step in but Jesus. It’s like no one in the nba except the knicks can show self restraint and the knicks only have it when they shouldn’t. 

6 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Isn’t the reason they’re going out this far is because of the rule that you can’t trade consecutive first rounders? I can’t believe this wasn’t seen as an obvious result of that rule. The league values superstars so much that they have to come up with something different to make these trades work. Some of these GMs and most of the players won’t even be around anymore when teams are still dealing with the trades. I guess the owner could always step in but Jesus. It’s like no one in the nba except the knicks can show self restraint and the knicks only have it when they shouldn’t. 

Yes, in part.   I'm guessing they have already traded the other picks for 2022 or 2023.

The Stepien rule:

At one point, the Cavs had traded away five consecutive first-round picks, covering 1982 until 1985. The NBA thereafter instituted the "Stepien Rule," which states that a team (usually) cannot trade its first-round pick in consecutive years.

Every CBA they make rules to protect themselves from themselves and the second the CBA is official someone figures a way around it and manages to fuck themselves.

In theory they could still trade the other ones.    It will just have to be "after" the pick is made at the draft.   They just cannot commit to trading the pick now.

Edited by d2o
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
45 minutes ago, d2o said:
Can't believe that he will continue to draw a NBA check.   That guy is awful

Melo and Chris Bosh were top 20 paid players last year if that tells you how awful these teams are at managing money

Yeah, but at least they were good.   Payne has NEVER been shit other than a great sidekick for Russ' dances

Edited by d2o

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

IIRC, pretty sure he had a big summer league.  Besides, he can ML Carr with the best of em'.

tumblr_olfxf7z5t71udh5n8o1_400.gif

Just looked.  He went for 20/5/4 in 3 summer league games.    That a nickel will get you some penny candy.   Do they still even have penny candy? 

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
16 minutes ago, d2o said:
Just looked.  He went for 20/5/4 in 3 summer league games.    That a nickel will get you some penny candy.   Do they still even have penny candy? 

Nope. Thanks Obama

Man, my grandfather used to give me a dollar or two and I would fucking run wild in the penny candy store!!!   

my guess at the opening night and christmas day slates of games:
opening night:
celtics @ raptors; pelicans @ lakers
christmas:
nets vs bucks; celtics vs 6ers; rockets @ thunder; lakers vs clippers; nuggets vs blazers
Oh cool, do you have a hunch on the pick 6 numbers tonight?

What Dray helped to bring in, Dray also pushed away...

10 hours ago - Former NBA player turned league insider Kendrick Perkins has had a lot to ... Kevin Durant's free agency, and Perkins now says the Warrior had the ... in Durant's free agency until Draymond spat, says Kendrick Perkins.