2nd Round: Warriors vs. Rockets

BigOrange1

2nd Round: Warriors vs. Rockets  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who you got?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/28/19 at 07:45 PM

8 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Well of course not last night. His only chance of returning this year was if GS went to the next round. He’s obviously rooting for that. I’m saying if he can’t return at all and they go on to win the championship without him (somehow), that would really play into the “that was the greatest team of all time that he joined, and they didn’t NEED him to keep winning titles. He just made it a lot easier” narrative. 

Win or lose this yr that narrative is and will always be there

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Win or lose this yr that narrative is and will always be there

That’s fair. I guess my point was then those people would have tangible evidence to point to and say “see, I told you all along that they didn’t really need him to win a title”

Maybe im just viewing this through the eyes of someone who has a big ego. Maybe KD doesn’t care about stuff like that (even though I think he does, or else he wouldn’t always be so defensive after achieving everything he wanted).

I'd say part of him has to want to see GS lose if he's not playing. And I do not mean that as any sort of an indictment of KD. It's just human nature to want your contributions to be recognized as meaningfully impactful. For as much negativity as he has heard surrounding the circumstances of tenure in GS (clearly still ongoing on this board), he'd have to be in an extreme minority to not want to say, "My guys couldn't quite get it done without me. Just like in 2016 before I came. How do you like me now?"

39 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I agree. Which is weird to say when, even without KD, Golden State probably has 3 of the best 4 players in a potential series. But they wouldn't have the best player.

Milwaukee has a real '14-'15 Warriors vibe to them. Young, super hungry team who is quickly realizing how scary good they are. Led by a transcendent, unstoppable superstar on the verge of taking over the league. In other words, even better than the sum of their parts.

you think Klay/Dray are better than Bledsoe and Middelton? I think the Bucks players are playing more consistent these playoffs.

Edited by MNLonghornFUKM

9 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

You’re missing the joke, NowThis. He’s just making fun of the idea that someone would say Wade is better than Steph.

In defense of the post i was mocking, 2011 Wade was still a fucking monster. He just wasn't for the rest of the LeBron's Miami tenure

3 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

I'd say part of him has to want to see GS lose if he's not playing. And I do not mean that as any sort of an indictment of KD. It's just human nature to want your contributions to be recognized as meaningfully impactful. For as much negativity as he has heard surrounding the circumstances of tenure in GS (clearly still ongoing on this board), he'd have to be in an extreme minority to not want to say, "My guys couldn't quite get it done without me. Just like in 2016 before I came. How do you like me now?"

You did a better job of articulating my point. So thank you. That’s spot on. It’s human nature for him to hope they fall short. I didn’t mean it as KD is a bad person for possibly feeling that way. It’s perfectly normal

Edited by youdunnf'dup

I don’t think a team leader could be so selfish or ‘needy’ to think that way. GS has mucho talent and isn’t going to fold because of a challenge  if anything, the absence of KD triggered more focusness  

KD seems a lot more secure in the way he carries himself than some of you seem to think.

Its not like KD wouldn't get another ring/title with his name if they finish without him so absolutely not.   He would part of a threepeat and a 3 time champ instead of a 2 time champ.   Hell no he wouldnt want his team to lose to prove a point that can't be proven.   Its not like he has been hurt all season or even all playoffs.    His contributions and being arguably the best player in the playoffs when he went down cant be discounted so they wouldn't be "winning a title without him"   no matter how many would like to spin it.

Edited by d2o

16 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don’t think a team leader could be so selfish or ‘needy’ to think that way. GS has mucho talent and isn’t going to fold because of a challenge  if anything, the absence of KD triggered more focusness  

KD seems a lot more secure in the way he carries himself than some of you seem to think.

I could see where you’re coming from with most of your take, but this part seems laughable lol. You don’t have burner twitter accounts defending yourself if that were the case. At least not in my opinion. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

13 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Draymond has been awesome this playoffs.

yea he has. Klays been more hit and miss.

I guess Im trying to say that bucks B & C players have to play better than Warriors C & D players and we'll have a series.

I do like Milwaukees bench much more tho. Especially with maybe a hobbled KD and the minutes their stars are logging right now. They need one of those 10 day gaps from the end of the WCF to the beginning of the NBA finals

9 minutes ago, d2o said:

Its not like KD wouldn't get another ring/title with his name if they finish without him so absolutely not.   He would part of a threepeat and a 3 time champ instead of a 2 time champ.   Hell no he wouldnt want his team to lose to prove a point that can't be proven.   Its not like he has been hurt all season or even all playoffs.    His contributions and being arguably the best player in the playoffs when he went down cant be discounted so they wouldn't be "winning a title without him"   no matter how many would like to spin it.

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but if it did, name another time in NBA history where a team lost its best player, but still went on to win two more rounds and win the championship. If that scenario isn’t proving you could win without him than I don’t know what to say. Again, a lot of unlikely shit would have to happen for all of that to play out. But man, twitter would have fun with that forever.

4 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m not saying it’s going to happen, but if it did, name another time in NBA history where a team lost its best player, but still went on to win two more rounds and win the championship. If that scenario isn’t proving you could win without him than I don’t know what to say. Again, a lot of unlikely shit would have to happen for all of that to play out. But man, twitter would have fun with that forever.

All that said I still dont believe he would want his team to lose.  Opportunities to add rings to your legacy don't come easy enough to be that crazy.

Last night was a display of exactly how GS won 73 games and championships before KD. That team moves the ball better than any team in the last 20 years at least. KD allows them to not have to move the ball to win and that’s why Klay and curry look like lesser players when KD is out there. But when you take him off the floor Kerr gets those bums to move the ball and the splash brothers splash. If KD is out for the rest of the way I might actually root for GS given how hard they play and when you have their original big 3 out there with something to prove it seems. Bucks v. GS will be epic if KD is down. With KD I don’t think the bucks have a chance. 

I would even add that if KD can’t be close to 100% then Kerr should keep him off the floor. A 70% KD trying to do too much might make the team worse given you want the ball in the splash bothers’ hands. 

Edited by Jhawk

4 minutes ago, d2o said:

All that said I still dont believe he would want his team to lose.  Opportunities to add rings to your legacy don't come easy enough to be that crazy.

If they were to go on and win the title without KD, he doesn’t get credit for this ring towards his legacy. He will get a physical ring, but I’m sorry. If you don’t participate in the WCF or the NBA finals you don’t get to add those rings to your legacy lol. The media would literally never let that one go. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

22 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

you think Klay/Dray are better than Bledsoe and Middelton? I think the Bucks players are playing more consistent these playoffs.

Yes. By a decent margin. Bledsoe and Middleton have been great all season. But they also got to play Detroit (the worst playoff team by a considerable margin) and Boston (a team fighting off the urge to strangle each other). The conference finals and NBA Finals are a different animal, and it will be their first time. We'll see how they do. Klay and Dray are proven commodities, even if Klay can be inconsistent (only offensively) in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

If they were to go on and win the title without KD, he doesn’t get credit for this ring towards his legacy. He will get a physical ring, but I’m sorry. If you don’t participate in the WCF or the NBA finals you don’t get to add those rings to your legacy lol. The media would literally never let that one go. 

He absolutely does.    When his career is over will they say "he won three titles but he didnt play in the last two rounds so really he only won two"  Hell now.   he will be a 3 time champ regardless of what twitter or anyone else would say.

Edited by d2o

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Last night was a display of exactly how GS won 73 games and championships before KD. That team moves the ball better than any team in the last 20 years at least. KD allows them to not have to move the ball to win and that’s why Klay and curry look like lesser players when KD is out there. But when you take him off the floor Kerr gets those bums to move the ball and the splash brothers splash. If KD is out for the rest of the way I might actually root for GS given how hard they play and when you have their original big 3 out there with something to prove it seems. Bucks v. GS will be epic if KD is down. With KD I don’t think the bucks have a chance. 

I would even add that if KD can’t be close to 100% then Kerr should keep him off the floor. A 70% KD trying to do too much might make the team worse given you want the ball in the splash bothers’ hands. 

2014 Spurs, dude. C'mon.

• Like 5

Rockets' fans, is your new owner as big of a toolbag as he sounds?

"I'm a fighter," said Fertitta, who has owned the franchise for two seasons. "That's my culture, and I think the longer that I own this team, they're going to pick up more of my culture. We had [the Warriors]. We should have stepped on their throat the other night and cut their throat. It's not, 'Let's make a few shots and win.' It's step on their throat and let's take it back to Houston and end it in six. We'll pick up a few Tilman-isms along the way in the next few years."

I know he had Morey make some savvy moves to duck below the luxury tax and didn't use Houston's MLE this season (the post-deadline waiver line was slim pickings), but any cause for concern?

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

"I'm a fighter," said Fertitta, who has owned the franchise for two seasons. "That's my culture, and I think the longer that I own this team, they're going to pick up more of my culture. We had [the Warriors]. We should have stepped on their throat the other night and cut their throat. It's not, 'Let's make a few shots and win.' It's step on their throat and let's take it back to Houston and end it in six. We'll pick up a few Tilman-isms along the way in the next few years."

I know he made some savvy moves to duck below the luxury tax and didn't use Houston's MLE this season (the post-deadline waiver line was slim pickings), but any cause for concern?

Talk about delusional.   They were at NO POINT in control of that series

13 minutes ago, d2o said:

For this to be a UT board the level of knocking KD is wild as fuck.

Oh can we please stop with this shit. KD has made himself harder and harder to root for with his constant bickering at the refs and bitching at the media (didn’t he come close to leading the league in techs?). He was handled with kid gloves by the media while in OKC and created burner twitter accounts to defend his move. I loved KD while he was at Texas, and while he was on OKC. I respect the hell out it his game, and I think he’ll go down as a top 10 player all time. But can we please stop acting like he was VY, or even TJ Ford to this university? He was here for a cup of coffee. I don’t have blind allegiance to all athletes who ever stepped foot on campus. If you aren’t very likable, then you aren’t very likable. Doesn’t change his greatness, but I don’t have to like someone just because they wore burnt orange for a few months.

Edited by youdunnf'dup
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Oh can we please stop with this shit. KD has made himself harder and harder to root for with his constant bickering at the refs (didn’t he come close to leading the league in techs?). He was handled with kid gloves by the media while in OKC and created burner twitter accounts to defend his move. I loved KD while he was at Texas, and while he was on OKC. I respect the hell out it his game, and I think he’ll go down as a top 10 player all time. But can we please stop acting like he was VY, or even TJ Ford to this university? He was here for a cup of coffee. 

If he treated it that way you might have a point.   He has maintained his connection in huge ways since he left.   Is the only thing that matters what you did while enrolled there?    Or how you rep the university?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, d2o said:

If he treated it that way you might have a point.   He has maintained his connection in huge ways since he left.   Is the only thing that matters what you did while enrolled there?    Or how you rep the university?

Fair enough. I guess I’m not familiar some of the off the court shit he’s done with/for the university so i can give you that. But to answer your question, I really don’t care that much lol. That says more about me as a person than anything, but it still doesn’t change the fact that he’s wildly regarded as unlikable by most fan bases. The move to GS has something to do with that, but really, it’s the new attitude. He was always viewed as the nice guy. He’s gotten defensive and sensitive during his time in GS. Not saying I blame him, but that’s the truth. 

KD has done more for this university outside of playing one year here than 99.9 % of posters here.  He’s also a great teammate and is very involved with the community.  They sit here and root for guys like Harden that spend half their weekends at strip clubs but bitch non stop about KD because he joined GS.  Funny thing is, given those circumstances 3 years ago, 90% of the board would have done the same.  Posters here get pissed because he doesn’t sugar coat anything and calls out the media when they act like little bitches.  

And bullshit that he’s not on TJ Fords level. I love TJ, but if was guaranteed to be a top 2 pick after his freshman year, he would have left also.  Durant has contributed to Texas basketball just as much if it more in other ways.  There’s a reason the University promotes him as our main basketball ambassador.  He stops by every summer to see the current players and help them out.

Edited by victory88
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Another bitch move by CP3 that didn't work out: 

On the eve of Friday's Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals, (Steph) Curry wanted to get some shots up at the Toyota Center. The Warriors do-it-all manager Eric Housen booked the court, from 7 to 8 p.m., so Curry could work on his shot. 

Somehow, Rockets guard Chris Paul got wind. He decided to go to the Toyota Center to get shots up, nixing Curry's reservations. The Warriors' point guard offered to stick to half a court but Paul wasn't having it. Curry was kicked off the Toyota Center court.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-paul-kicked-steph-curry-084258772.html

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Posters here get pissed because he doesn’t sugar coat anything and calls out the media when they act like little bitches.

The real reason people on this board don't like him is because he played so long g in Oklahoma and thus sooner fans embraced him, and he stayed a little too long.  And he basically went head to head against spurs, rockets and Mavs for the past 10 years.  I actually like him more in the past few seasons when talks shit to the media.

3 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Another bitch move by CP3 that didn't work out: 

On the eve of Friday's Game 6 of the Western Conference semifinals, (Steph) Curry wanted to get some shots up at the Toyota Center. The Warriors do-it-all manager Eric Housen booked the court, from 7 to 8 p.m., so Curry could work on his shot. 

Somehow, Rockets guard Chris Paul got wind. He decided to go to the Toyota Center to get shots up, nixing Curry's reservations. The Warriors' point guard offered to stick to half a court but Paul wasn't having it. Curry was kicked off the Toyota Center court.

https://sports.yahoo.com/chris-paul-kicked-steph-curry-084258772.html

Hahaha go fuck yourself, Chris.

54 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Disagree.  He was a vital part of the team, including in the POs.  Member when Magic played Center because Kareem was out?  Kareem was not excluded from that championship.

I also don’t get the KD hate on here.  While I agree with the cup of coffee deal, KD is still a good dude who has done things the right way off the court, regardless of social media missteps(WFC?)  Then again, I like Draymond too.  I don’t really care for the Splash Bros.

I guess I like KD because he brings it on the court, especially if someone else is being a bitch>>> CP3 for example.  He might chatter more than some people like, but he backs it up too.

Edited by slorch

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I know he had Morey make some savvy moves to duck below the luxury tax and didn't use Houston's MLE this season (the post-deadline waiver line was slim pickings), but any cause for concern?

That interview was creepy AF.  

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Disagree.  He was a vital part of the team, including in the POs.  Member when Magic played Center because Kareem was out?  Kareem was not excluded from that championship.

I also don’t get the KD hate on here.  While I agree with the cup of coffee deal, KD is still a good dude who has done things the right way off the court, regardless of social media missteps(WFC?)  Then again, I like Draymond too.  I don’t really care for the Splash Bros.

I guess I like KD because he brings it on the court, especially if someone else is being a bitch>>> CP3 for example.  He might chatter more than some people like, but he backs it up too.

I don’t hate KD. I’m just disappointed in how his career played out for selfish reasons. I just REALLY wish he decided to go anywhere other than GS. Literally any other team in the NBA. Go make a super team anywhere else. Just don’t go to the one team that beat you when you had a 3-1 lead against them. I hear some of you saying everyone on this board would’ve done what he did. I disagree. I think losing that way would make most people say “I respect them, but fuck GS. We had them. I’m going to do everything in my power to dethrone them.” Not join them. That just seems like the coward’s way out. He’s better than all those guys and he proves it on a nightly basis when everyone is healthy. He didn’t NEED to join this team to win multiple championships. He could’ve been the hero and dethroned them with his “own” super team. I’m fully aware that’s a selfish reason to dislike a guy, but that move removed all doubt as to who was going to win the championship for the next 3 years. 

Then to act so defensive, and care so much about what everyone thinks about you that you go out of your way and make burner twitter accounts defending yourself? C’mon man. That’s laughable. It’s humanizing in the sense that it’s something that a lot of us on this board would probably do, but he’s “Kevin Durant. You know who he is.” 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

12 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Again, it's a team game. KD isn't a team player. They were winning bigger with this same exact team before he got there. 

I think you need to watch more basketball. This is and was a championship team without Durant. Congrats, I guess on understanding that they manage to win most of the time with Durant too. They are absolutely a worse team with him though. 

Green played like shit in every game this series, in the playoffs, when Durant was on the floor. He played like shit all season in the games you saw, again with Durant. In 1 and a half games without Durant, he was great. So was Thompson. And Curry was reborn. And they beat the same Rockets in Houston that they couldn't with Durant. 

And you know this. If KD was on the court tonight, he might score 40, but the Rockets win. Then you go back to GS, win in 7, your hero gets a series MVP, and you still don't understand that winning in 6 is better than winning in 7. I will take it further than that though. Warriors sweep this series with no KD. 

dhMeAzK.gif?noredirect

Fucking spot-on Skip Bayless impersonation.  Congrats.

• Like 1

Kevin Durant is a great Longhorn, a great NBA player, and a good person who has given $3+ million to the University. Not sure what else warrants discussion here.

It certainly doesn't pay to be a former Longhorn athlete. They don't follow our fans every inclination and they are instantly tossed to the curb. It's no wonder our coaches have to recruit so hard to get players here.

1 hour ago, victory88 said:

And bullshit that he’s not on TJ Fords level. I love TJ, but if was guaranteed to be a top 2 pick after his freshman year, he would have left also.  Durant has contributed to Texas basketball just as much if it more in other ways.

False.  Of course, you were in grade school when TJ was on campus, so I can understand your take.

6 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

False.  Of course, you were in grade school when TJ was on campus, so I can understand your take.

To this day, I feel like TJ Ford changed the course of Texas basketball for a decade or so after he left. We don’t get guys like KD, or Lamarcus Aldridge, or DJ Augustine, etc if Ford never stepped foot on this campus. He made Texas basketball cool for a hot minute. That was what I was getting at when I was comparing him to KD and what they’ve meant to the university. I can’t speak on the off the court stuff because I had no idea. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Getting overrun by Skip Bayless clones in here.  

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't wait for Kerr to announce that he's benching Durant for the remainder of the playoffs because, "We're a better team without him."

It's going to be worse than that. I already know what's going to happen. The Warriors are going to look and play really well for the first 3-4 games of the WCF, getting to play a team who's much worse defensively and has more places to rest Steph on the defensive end.

Then, KD will come back and they'll look a little off and stagnant for a game, which will result in the talking heads going into overdrive for 48 hours. "Is Kevin Durant hindering the offense and ruining the Warriors?!? Derp, derp."

...then they'll proceed to plow through the rest of the series and probably the Finals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Sadly, that's probably CP3's greatest playoff moment: getting to show up Steph for one game in the WCF, promptly getting injured in the next game, and then getting to play the "what if" game in his mind for the rest of his career.

That, or the shot he hit against San Antonio to beat them in the first round...only to choke to Josh Smith and Corey Brewer in round 2.

Tough choice.