Getting old sucks

Hate

On 4/14/2024 at 10:26 PM, Rimbo said:

Surprisingly effective is getting exercise. I haven't been like I need to. I keep thinking about the other advantages and forgetting this.

Almost 49 and if I don’t exercise hard at least 4 days a week i’m teetering on madness. I also need to indulge my hobbies. I also work from home and I’ll do all sorts of daily tricks - I walk the yard and check on plants and pull weeds for a 15 min break, I’ll get sun light and for sure I will get my strenuous work outs in too. Religiously eat well for breakfast. It feels restrictive but the alternative is an unmitigated disaster. I still have “is this all there is?” and “holy shit I might have only 20 great years left, FML!!” syndromes. I’m not sure when my midlife will hit, I hope to god the stunts I’ve pulled and upgrading my wife situation was it but I don’t think it was.

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

With the real shit some of you have going on I hate to even mention it, but a couple of weeks ago felt like I had a bad stone bruise on my left heal that wouldn’t go away and it got continually worse. Freakin Planter Fasciitis. Been using an ice regimen and doing some foot stretches, bought an orthotic but damnit that shits annoyingly and surprisingly painful! Every freaking step! Doctor was no help to speak of, is this a permanent thing?

3 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

With the real shit some of you have going on I hate to even mention it, but a couple of weeks ago felt like I had a bad stone bruise on my left heal that wouldn’t go away and it got continually worse. Freakin Planter Fasciitis. Been using an ice regimen and doing some foot stretches, bought an orthotic but damnit that shits annoyingly and surprisingly painful! Every freaking step! Doctor was no help to speak of, is this a permanent thing?

Probably a quarter of this thread is about that hideous condition. I’m almost out of the woods, 14-16 months later. 3rd time through it. Custom orthotics, foam rollers, stretch bands, ice foot baths, frozen water bottle roller, hot baths, old fashion stretching, and lots of exercises later…

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I am not sure where to put this?  Either here are in "Trivial Things That Make You Surly".

I went to Hobby Lobby this past Saturday looking for some bookends.  I looked in what I thought would be a logical location for them but did not find any.  I found two young employees and asked them if they had any bookends.  Neither one of them knew what bookends were.  I found myself describing to them what bookends were and what they typically look like.  You would have thought that I was describing quantum physics to them.  Does anyone read or keep books anymore?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

Upthread I mentioned some calf stretches for Achilles's tendentious - same stretches should help reduce PF pain.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mininghorn88 said:

I am not sure where to put this?  Either here are in "Trivial Things That Make You Surly".

I went to Hobby Lobby this past Saturday looking for some bookends.  I looked in what I thought would be a logical location for them but did not find any.  I found two young employees and asked them if they had any bookends.  Neither one of them knew what bookends were.  I found myself describing to them what bookends were and what they typically look like.  You would have thought that I was describing quantum physics to them.  Does anyone read or keep books anymore?

I had the same problem a while back.  I ended up ordering some from Amazon.

In a similar stupidity vein, my buddy had to return something to Alaska for some reason and the kid at the UPS store asked him 3 times what country that was in

Your first mistake was not finding Scott Baio(aka Chachi) and ask him.  /nocr

1 hour ago, Dennis Taylor said:

In a similar stupidity vein, my buddy had to return something to Alaska for some reason and the kid at the UPS store asked him 3 times what country that was in

The back page of New Mexico magazine (from NM tourism department) is always “one of our 50 is missing,” and every month there’s a story of someone being asked for a passport to travel to, or from, NM, or similar nonsense. 
example: https://www.newmexicomagazine.org/blog/post/one-of-our-50-is-missing-april-2024/

On 4/21/2024 at 8:39 AM, Hate said:

Anyone else have issues with their Achilles? I feel like my left one could snap at any time. I pretty much always have to wear shoes to keep it from hurting. 

Google   alfredson protocol for achilles tendonitis

The exercise protocol has had a bunch of controlled science studies that validates it works.   In a nutshell it involves doing an exercise that stretch the calf and achilles tendon under load (eccentric heel drops).

I trashed my achilles tendon in a Half Ironman and after a surgeon couldn't help and a PT was clueless, I stumbled on this on the web. (It had only been published a few years earlier, so it wasn't all over the web like today).  It worked. 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-alfredson-protocol-for-achilles-tendonitis-2696560

• Like 1

Got some shitty news today. The Decatur CBOC has a history of losing good people. I'm sure it aggravating as hell dealing with them (VA management) on a daily basis.  My Doc is leaving VA. Said he was tied of their BS. Seems a team of PA are reviewing MD orders and rejecting them for nonsense reasons. He told me of a patient with a ruptured ear drum that needed drainage tube. He put in 5 orders only to be shot down by the PAs because the patient didn't have a hearing test. The eardrum was ruptured, what did they expect the test to reveal? He apologized to me but said he'd had enough. Too bad really, he was the first VA Doc I actually liked. The man wore boots in the office. On the bright side, he renewed all my scripts and put in for imaging on my left shoulder.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

On 4/29/2024 at 12:21 PM, mininghorn88 said:

Not the kind of people who work at Hobby Lobby...