Getting old sucks

Hate

I'm sure it's already been said somewhere in this thread, but since I recently (for "reasons") had to transition from my 2-pill-per-day (BP/statin) regimen to now NINE mf-ing pills every day, I've purchased and now fully embrace the ease of those compartmentalized pillboxes to place your daily allotment at the start of each week.

Getting. Old. Sucks.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

On 2/4/2024 at 1:58 PM, Crapinon said:

I call it "male pattern deafness". I learned it from my FIL.

Well, mine is real - and the wife knows it. 
But she still tries to talk to me from another room or while she’s walking or facing away. 
Then she gets annoyed when I ask her to repeat whatever it was while facing me.

fml

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

40 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

I'm sure it's already been said somewhere in this thread, but since I recently (for "reasons") had to transition from my 2-pill-per-day (BP/statin) regimen to now NINE mf-ing pills every day, I've purchased and now fully embrace the ease of those compartmentalized pillboxes to place your daily allotment at the start of each week.

Getting. Old. Sucks.

Wait til you get tired of doing it every week, and then go for a month at a time.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, RamjetFDO said:

Getting. Old. Sucks.

Welcome to the club…

42FB08FB-06DE-4363-ADF8-08BF3FA96C99.jpeg

On 2/6/2024 at 11:58 AM, Crapinon said:

Or she'll think "Never mind, he's deaf" and just drop it all together.

No, Mrs. Brat just bitches at me when she brings it up later because I don’t know what the hell she’s talking about.

1 minute ago, thunderlounge said:

image.thumb.png.b681ee8fb1740ab47c1b094b367cb2a7.png

Red, not purple, but other than that this is about spot on. 4 trays.

I’d lose track of that puzzle.

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2024 at 11:12 PM, UT_OB1 said:

I’m only 41 but my body continues to betray me. A few weeks ago an oak tree fell and it broke in to a small enough piece (6’-7’) that I thought I could flip it end over a end a few times without hurting my back. I did manage to not agitate my back, but in about the 4th flip in to the fire I strained pulled my calf pretty bad. Fast forward 3 weeks and I haven’t been doing anything to agitate it, the pain had pretty much stopped, I’d forgotten about it. First attempt at running (with my kids after a coyote…I know..) it cramped up a bit and I stopped immediately.  Fast forward another couple weeks to today, again I’ve been taking it easy, but still some pain, and I went to park with kids for them to play and me mostly walk. Boy brought the soccer ball so we were going to kick it. He passed it to me, a bit off, and I took a quick step to get to it (not a lunge, not a jump, just a step) and my calf popped like a mother fucker. I dropped. It ducking hurt. Still hurts. Iced it. Pain meds. It’s not low around the Achilles / heel. It’s about an inch above bottom of the calf. Im not sure there’s anything a doctor can do other than tell me to wear a boot that I already have and ice it.  So frustrating 

Supposedly it keeps getting worse in the 50s and 60s?  Can’t wait. Might not make it at this rate. 

Strained calf was my first big “fuck me im old” moment.  Immobile for a month, couldn’t run for 2 months.  All because I hopped down one stair.  wtf.  Other thing to expect/beware of is a hernia.  I didn’t even do anything strenuous and all of a sudden I’m having surgery and can’t do shit for a few weeks.

Like you, my trajectory over the last 5 years (ages 38-43) has me very skeptical that I will live to 70.  Now I know why dudes go crazy in their mid 40s trying to capture what little life/joy they still can.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:46 AM, Horn Draoi said:

Oh, it’s not Alzheimer’s if you misplace your car key; OTOH, if you can’t remember what a car key is for………………..

I grabbed for the column shift the other night. I haven't driven a column shift in years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Strained calf was my first big “fuck me im old” moment.  Immobile for a month, couldn’t run for 2 months.  All because I hopped down one stair.  wtf.  Other thing to expect/beware of is a hernia.  I didn’t even do anything strenuous and all of a sudden I’m having surgery and can’t do shit for a few weeks.

Like you, my trajectory over the last 5 years (ages 38-43) has me very skeptical that I will live to 70.  Now I know why dudes go crazy in their mid 40s trying to capture what little life/joy they still can.

Doctor confirmed muscle tear. In a boot for 2-4 weeks and then follow up. Hopefully can start stretching it then. The pain in my hip from walking with a boot may become worse than my calf. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, UT_OB1 said:

Doctor confirmed muscle tear. In a boot for 2-4 weeks and then follow up. Hopefully can start stretching it then. The pain in my hip from walking with a boot may become worse than my calf. 

You can get an insert for your shoe to offset the difference. Might be worth a look. 

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Whilst? You sound too uppity for these here parts. 

What’s life without a little whimsy now and then?

9 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

New shit has come to light. Why am I just hearing about this month pill box...genius.

To be accurate, it’s a week per tray, trays sold individually, at least the ones I bought were.

Thing is, meds are typically 30 (or 90) days supplies. So 4 weeks being 28 days, you get a built-in reminder to call in refills. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

I grabbed for the column shift the other night. I haven't driven a column shift in years. 

I couldn't remember the GD Netflix password the other night despite the fact that,

• I've entered it at least 400 times over the past few years.
  • It's my youngest son's birthday.
  • It's only 4 digits long.
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

You do mean manual shift, right? If so, it’s been 40+ years for me. 

I think he means a shifter on the steering column. The old “three on the tree.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, RPM said:

Yep. Every now and then I stomp the floorboard to dim my lights.

My dad had me thinking for a long time that if I snapped, the lights dimmed or brightened. Every time I’d snap, he’d toggle the foot switch. 

• Haha 3

Severely sprained ankle.  I would love to tell you that it was because I was going hard in the paint grabbing a rebound in traffic, but it’s actually because we kept my sister’s kids for a night, one of them left a toy out, and I stepped on it trying to get to bed in the middle of the night with the lights out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Severely sprained ankle.  I would love to tell you that it was because I was going hard in the paint grabbing a rebound in traffic, but it’s actually because we kept my sister’s kids for a night, one of them left a toy out, and I stepped on it trying to get to bed in the middle of the night with the lights out.

At least it wasn't a Lego.  Could have been risking amputation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

11 minutes ago, huge said:

At least it wasn't a Lego.  Could have been risking amputation.

Confirmed. I've often said I suffered (and I do mean suffered) through 17 consecutive years of at least one teenager in the house. I know you heard there would be no math, but realize that means a lot of years of little kids, too. Probably went through a few thousand Legos, and I reckon I trod on one (or more) in the dark at least a hundred times. I still have a scar on the bottom of my left foot, just at the back edge of the arch. I think it was a guy with a sword.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/6/2024 at 9:25 PM, Slacks said:

One hip bothers me a lot - especially when I'm sleeping on my left side (which is most of the time that I'm asleep, so I'm also sleeping like crap). I think I sat too much over the last two years. I damn sure haven't exercised. 

Ringing in the ears is not even a ring, just a constant high pitched sound that I thought was me drinking too much (I was, but that isn't it). 

I need to go for an annual and do all the 45+ shit that I haven't done yet at soon to be 53.

I'm probably dead at the moment. 

Thought we might be twins after reading this. I could have posted that verbatim and it would be 100% accurate...then I remembered twins don't have a 13 year age differential. 

On 2/8/2024 at 7:41 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

I couldn't remember the GD Netflix password the other night despite the fact that,

• I've entered it at least 400 times over the past few years.
  • It's my youngest son's birthday.
  • It's only 4 digits long.

On 2/8/2024 at 9:55 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

You do mean manual shift, right? If so, it’s been 40+ years for me. 

On 2/8/2024 at 9:59 PM, nnm said:

I think he means a shifter on the steering column. The old “three on the tree.”

On 2/8/2024 at 10:21 PM, RPM said:

Yep. Every now and then I stomp the floorboard to dim my lights.

Dang...I'm in way better shape than I thought I was. Thanks guys!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

97B4C6D9-3BE2-420B-8214-0A40F88B99AA.jpeg

Almost got run over by a 90-something guy driving an explorer on Thursday night around 7 pm while crossing the street by Hyde Park Bar & Grill off Duval in Austin. He did not see the stop sign or me. I’m glad I was watching him. His wife saw me after they’d gone halfway into the intersection and apologetically waved. Somewhere he’s got kids who want to take his keys away from him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1