Getting old sucks

Hate

Bought one of these so I can get back and forth from town when my car is in the shop without begging a ride. No Uber out here in BFE. Folds up, weighs under 50 lbs and fits in the trunk of my car. Did a quick test ride down to the highway and back. Learned real quick my 2 wheel skills ain't what they used to be. Last time I rode a bike a Dodge pickup ran over me in a pedestrian cross walk. At least this time there will be sparks. O/U deathrides 6.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 2

I do the p90x III version at home. No one sees.

Speaking of flexibility and joints, got an xray on my shoulder today because it ain’t been right for a long time. This is what they sent me in the results portal. I’m sure I’ll hear from the doc soon, but in the meantime any of you slappys know what this means?

Advanced degenerative changes of the glenohumeral joint with near complete loss of the joint space and bulky osteophyte formation. Asymmetric loss of posterior glenoid bone stock with at least mild glenoid retroversion and posterior decentering of the humeral head. Mild degenerative changes of the acromioclavicular joint. Maintained acromiohumeral interval on the scapular Y lateral view. Normal osseous mineralization. No suspicious osseous lesions. No acute fracture.

For those of you that have been holding your breath, this means my shoulder joint is totally gone. Replacement in the cards for whenever the pain gets too bad, which right now isn’t even close.

Other shoulder is following suit as well.

Good times
  • Rage+1 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:01 PM, RPM said:

Bought one of these so I can get back and forth from town when my car is in the shop without begging a ride. No Uber out here in BFE. Folds up, weighs under 50 lbs and fits in the trunk of my car. Did a quick test ride down to the highway and back. Learned real quick my 2 wheel skills ain't what they used to be. Last time I rode a bike a Dodge pickup ran over me in a pedestrian cross walk. At least this time there will be sparks. O/U deathrides 6.

Something like this might help. 

ww1_machine_gun_bike.jpg

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

For those of you that have been holding your breath, this means my shoulder joint is totally gone. Replacement in the cards for whenever the pain gets too bad, which right now isn’t even close.

Other shoulder is following suit as well.

Good times emoji41.png

Jesus, that's almost verbatim what my doctors diagnosis of my shoulder is...FUCK!!!

Edit: don't wait until you have to have a reverse replacement,  they suck.

Edited by SHOOTER12

10 hours ago, tbone_ said:

What makes you say that about reverses? My doc said the reverse replacements were about the same, maybe better in certain circumstances.

I've had one on my left shoulder, very poor range of motion and minor although constant pain.

The older I get, the more Old People things I acquire: 7 day pill container, one of those stools with the light blue seat, 2 different brands of crutches, 1 knee scooter, non-slip bath mat, readers stashed in every room, and a couple of eye masks for sleeping.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Turned 50 in October.  Got my first shingles shot today at 4 p.m.  Came home, put on some comfortable clothes, took two Advil, climbed into bed, and am waiting for the side-effects.

Had what (I gathered) was a stress-induced bout 15+ years ago = no fun. Hope it's not too bad a weekend, dcbc!

Does this guy.gif

• Haha 1

Just now, smoothlonghorn said:

Had what (I gathered) was a stress-induced bout 15+ years ago = no fun. Hope it's not too bad a weekend, dcbc!

Does this guy.gif

So far, so good.  Anybody who has had the vaccine and side-effects: How long did it take for those to appear?

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

So far, so good.  Anybody who has had the vaccine and side-effects: How long did it take for those to appear?

It took about 7 hours or so before it hit me. I was miserable for about 10 to 12 hours. Once the fever broke I was perfectly normal.

The booster did not bother me at all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:
On 1/25/2024 at 6:39 AM, SHOOTER12 said:
I've had one on my left shoulder, very poor range of motion and minor although constant pain.

I've heard there was reduced RoM with the reverse but not the pain. I'm looking at a double reverse in 15 years.

I just what the difference is between all the folks who have regular replacements and guys like us that have have reverse replacements...but I'm going to find out. 

• Like 1

The older I get, the more Old People things I acquire: 7 day pill container, one of those stools with the light blue seat, 2 different brands of crutches, 1 knee scooter, non-slip bath mat, readers stashed in every room, and a couple of eye masks for sleeping.

Username
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Hate said:

I have not gotten the shingles vaccine. I also don’t remember ever getting chicken pox. I guess I should suck it up and get the vaccine?

If you never had Chicken Pox you can't get Shingles. Welcome to the club, brotha,

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I have not gotten the shingles vaccine. I also don’t remember ever getting chicken pox. I guess I should suck it up and get the vaccine?

How old are you?  I got chicken pox when I was very young like most people in their late 50’s and 60’s.  I don’t remember getting CP. Until the vaccine came out, I think damn near all children got CP.  My daughters got it very early and I’m sure they don’t remember it.  They are 32 and 29.  

At 21 hours in, I woke up from a short nap and felt maybe 80%.  I've mostly been tired with a little neck pain and a sore arm since then (I'm at 25.5 hours now).  Not the greatest experience, but it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated.  So expecting the worst would be my recommendation, along with regular doses of ibuprofen.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, dcbc said:

At 21 hours in, I woke up from a short nap and felt maybe 80%.  I've mostly been tired with a little neck pain and a sore arm since then (I'm at 25.5 hours now).  Not the greatest experience, but it wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated.  So expecting the worst would be my recommendation, along with regular doses of ibuprofen.

Was this your first or second shingles shot?

On 1/26/2024 at 7:07 PM, dcbc said:

I’ve had both shots about three years ago. My arm was a little sore both times but not what I would  call really painful.  That was it.  Nothing symptomatic of other things like flu at all.  Played golf three days in a row after vaccine.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ruitxn said:

I’ve had both shots about three years ago. My arm was a little sore both times but not what I would  call really painful.  That was it.  Nothing symptomatic of other things like flu at all.  Played golf three days in a row after vaccine.

Same here, don’t recall any issues other than a sore arm.  

Had a bout with Shingles few years back took me a while to realize I had it as I had yet to have any rash, just pain an discomfort.  I dealt with during Jr’s wedding  and just a miserable experience, any bump in the road or sudden movement made it worse.  It wasn’t until the rashes started to appear that I went to urgent care for diagnosis. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:37 AM, dcbc said:

12 hours in from the shingles shot and I've got the full body aches and chills.  No fever, and on par with or not quite as bad as the first COVID shot.  No fun, but I think I'll live.

I just made sure I drank a ton of beer the night I got my shingles shot.  Next day was either a hangover, or effects of the shot.  Don't know don't care.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

I just made sure I drank a ton of beer the night I got my shingles shot.  Next day was either a hangover, or effects of the shot.  Don't know don't care.

Friggin' dry January.  This will be the way for shot #2.

Not going for this shingles shot thing. I'm not real big on any shots, though, so not a biggie. I did have measles, aged around five, but 75 years later, I don't recall having any problems with it. Never got mumped at all, and I might have had "flu" a couple of times in my life, but only a day or two. No covid, no rsv, none of that stuff. Not due to clean living, that's a pretty damn sure thing. Yay, me.

Shingles / pox talk not going away.

Back in '94, GF (that became wife #1) had Systemic Lupus Erythmatosis (SLE, or simply "Lupus"¹).

She apparently came down with Shingles again (she was 28, supposedly her 3rd or 3th outbreak).

"Say, Shug... have you ever had Chicken Pox or the vaccine?"

Me: "Ummm... Dunno. Let's call Mom.

Mom, medical professional, RRT: "Errr... I ¿think? so.

Me, waking up 36 hours later in her bed (@ her parents house) after having "taken a nap" & then essentially passing out without even waking to go to the bathroom: "What the hell was all of that about??"

Being itchy for a week was a rough one & I still have a scar near my R ear & over my L eyebrow. I have heard of people getting pox on their eyelid. ¡yikes!

I guess I should get the Shingrix vax?

¹it was the Lupus that eventually took her on 17 Jan 97 (Austin Diagnostic, the hospital in Austin @ Parmer & MoPac) & she's how I got to Austin.

• Like 2

I’m only 41 but my body continues to betray me. A few weeks ago an oak tree fell and it broke in to a small enough piece (6’-7’) that I thought I could flip it end over a end a few times without hurting my back. I did manage to not agitate my back, but in about the 4th flip in to the fire I strained pulled my calf pretty bad. Fast forward 3 weeks and I haven’t been doing anything to agitate it, the pain had pretty much stopped, I’d forgotten about it. First attempt at running (with my kids after a coyote…I know..) it cramped up a bit and I stopped immediately.  Fast forward another couple weeks to today, again I’ve been taking it easy, but still some pain, and I went to park with kids for them to play and me mostly walk. Boy brought the soccer ball so we were going to kick it. He passed it to me, a bit off, and I took a quick step to get to it (not a lunge, not a jump, just a step) and my calf popped like a mother fucker. I dropped. It ducking hurt. Still hurts. Iced it. Pain meds. It’s not low around the Achilles / heel. It’s about an inch above bottom of the calf. Im not sure there’s anything a doctor can do other than tell me to wear a boot that I already have and ice it.  So frustrating 

Supposedly it keeps getting worse in the 50s and 60s?  Can’t wait. Might not make it at this rate. 

• Rage+1 2

8 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I’m only 41 but my body continues to betray me. A few weeks ago an oak tree fell and it broke in to a small enough piece (6’-7’) that I thought I could flip it end over a end a few times without hurting my back. I did manage to not agitate my back, but in about the 4th flip in to the fire I strained pulled my calf pretty bad. Fast forward 3 weeks and I haven’t been doing anything to agitate it, the pain had pretty much stopped, I’d forgotten about it. First attempt at running (with my kids after a coyote…I know..) it cramped up a bit and I stopped immediately.  Fast forward another couple weeks to today, again I’ve been taking it easy, but still some pain, and I went to park with kids for them to play and me mostly walk. Boy brought the soccer ball so we were going to kick it. He passed it to me, a bit off, and I took a quick step to get to it (not a lunge, not a jump, just a step) and my calf popped like a mother fucker. I dropped. It ducking hurt. Still hurts. Iced it. Pain meds. It’s not low around the Achilles / heel. It’s about an inch above bottom of the calf. Im not sure there’s anything a doctor can do other than tell me to wear a boot that I already have and ice it.  So frustrating 

Supposedly it keeps getting worse in the 50s and 60s?  Can’t wait. Might not make it at this rate. 

Calf strains are awful. They can take forever to heal.  I’m a lifelong runner and started dealing with calf strains in my 40s.  Middle of the night calf cramps are also the worst.

You may well be dealing with some magnesium deficiency. Get some high-uptake magnesium and start regularly taking it. It will also help your sleep. Google static and active calf stretches. Do them. Start using a foam roller on your legs, including both sides of your calf and your hamstrings/IT bands. 

Bought a transport chair just in case either of us has any more mobility problems. 
We have a new walker too.

When Mrs. Brat broke her ankle years ago and couldn’t walk for a few weeks, it was a hassle to rent a wheelchair….and expensive. We bought a regular wheelchair back then which was cheaper in the long run and loaned it out to family & friends as needed. 
Wound up giving that one away before the pandemic to someone who needed it long term.

23A4F626-BDBD-4696-974E-000BC08C4C2D.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Actually, Mrs. Brat needed a wheelchair twice; first when she broke her ankle 15 years ago at a Texas football game, then in 2018 after she fell down some stairs at St. Paul’s in London. (Broken arm, nose, and severely bruised & swollen shins).

Kinda tough on a lady in her 70s

56E62C62-3EEB-4AE5-A1FA-FDE67923F7F7.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Calf strains are awful. They can take forever to heal.  I’m a lifelong runner and started dealing with calf strains in my 40s.  Middle of the night calf cramps are also the worst.
You may well be dealing with some magnesium deficiency. Get some high-uptake magnesium and start regularly taking it. It will also help your sleep. Google static and active calf stretches. Do them. Start using a foam roller on your legs, including both sides of your calf and your hamstrings/IT bands. 

https://a.co/d/7epOItS

Great for sleep and muscle cramps. Helps you poop, too.
  • Like 1

Reading glasses.
Currently on a +1.5

Buying cheapies from Home Depot or HEEB... If I lose or damahe a pair, I won't worry about it, however the pair I use most has a hinge screw that keeps wanting to back out & obv. that's a hassle but also due to the cheapness.

I have considered the ones that hang around your neck & have a magnet to connect @ the nose bur I don't want all of that "chain hanging around your neck" business. I'm thinking that's more of an "I'm over 70" thing.

So - what's your personal philosophy on readers?

38 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

So - what's your personal philosophy on readers?

My philosophy is that you can’t have too many of them.  Stash multiple pairs in lots of different places. Night stand , truck, toilet room, office, garage, kitchen.  You will notice they always collect in the same places and you have to redistribute them once a week or so.  We buy them by the 6 pack from the Jeff Besos every couple of months.  

• Like 1