Houston, we have a hooker problem.

HenryJames

On 5/6/2019 at 6:50 PM, mycox said:

You are 100% wrong. That area has blown up the past few years.

Shame I can't quote your delightful little edit in there, fucker. Well played.

Yes, @slorch , in my opinion you're 100% incorrect in this instance. In this case, I used to live in Shady Acres and now I've made the massive track across TC Jester into the Timbergrove/Lazybrook district. There's still occasional crime (a guy was shot leaving a bar in Shady Acres last year), but generally speaking sometimes crime is going to travel to where the money is regardless. There's occasional home invasions as well, but this feels way, way less than it did just 5 years ago when it seems like someone would get their door kicked in mid-day once every other month or so. We were chatting with a neighbor recently, and she remarked rather accurately that the entire area is Newlyweds or Nearly Deads. And that's because on our street it's either families or couples under the age of 40-45 or older than 65. A house not far away just sold to a family of 5 who then dropped whatever amount of money it costs to gut a home completely and start from scratch. Sinclair and Oak Forest Elementary are really good schools, and Waltrip just spent millions on expansion and renovation. Homes are being built in Oak Forest and Shady Acres for millions of dollars. If you think that people are spending that kind of money for a home where they can't raise a family, well, I guess agree to disagree man. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Congratulations. So you would rather raise a family in one of those neighborhoods than say Klein? Sure thing.

I was raised in Spring and went to Klein HS. It's substantially more ghetto than it was when I lived there. When my parents moved to Texas, my mom researched the best school districts in the state and at the time, Klein was a top 5 district in the state for quality of education. It is certainly not that now. I realize your point is that Klein is head and shoulders above Gulfton (you can still raise a family there), but to other poster's points (Johnny Sack and MyCox), The former suburbs are getting increasingly ghetto. Klein schools have gotten worse to the point  that my sister in law recently moved her family to the Woodlands (despite a 90 minute commute each way for her husband) because her son's elementary school was so shitty. 

The former good suburbs are getting shittier, and people are either fleeing further out (The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress, Kingwood) or they're feeling back into the city. I don't have any specifics I can tout about percentages, but to me it feels about 50/50. If the schools follow as well, and people make smart decisions on the local level, then these areas will continue to gentrify and get really expensive over the next 10 years or so. Fuck, they're really expensive now. Home prices have shot up substantially since we moved to the area just a few years back. Much like when I got a towhnhome in Shady Acres, I feel like we were the last into this neighborhood before it really exploded.

Fun story, we got an uber driver a couple years back. He commented on how he lived in Lazybrook about a decade back. We asked him when he sold, he said about 8 years ago. When he asked what homes were going for in the area now, we told him...he told us we were joking. When we said we weren't, he didn't say another word the rest of the trip. I felt bad for ruining the guy's evening, because you just knew he sold his home for something like 120k as opposed to the 300s 

I was raised in Spring and went to Klein HS. It's substantially more ghetto than it was when I lived there. When my parents moved to Texas, my mom researched the best school districts in the state and at the time, Klein was a top 5 district in the state for quality of education. It is certainly not that now. I realize your point is that Klein is head and shoulders above Gulfton (you can still raise a family there), but to other poster's points (Johnny Sack and MyCox), The former suburbs are getting increasingly ghetto. Klein schools have gotten worse to the point  that my sister in law recently moved her family to the Woodlands (despite a 90 minute commute each way for her husband) because her son's elementary school was so shitty. 
The former good suburbs are getting shittier, and people are either fleeing further out (The Woodlands, Katy, Cypress, Kingwood) or they're feeling back into the city. I don't have any specifics I can tout about percentages, but to me it feels about 50/50. If the schools follow as well, and people make smart decisions on the local level, then these areas will continue to gentrify and get really expensive over the next 10 years or so. Fuck, they're really expensive now. Home prices have shot up substantially since we moved to the area just a few years back. Much like when I got a towhnhome in Shady Acres, I feel like we were the last into this neighborhood before it really exploded.
Fun story, we got an uber driver a couple years back. He commented on how he lived in Lazybrook about a decade back. We asked him when he sold, he said about 8 years ago. When he asked what homes were going for in the area now, we told him...he told us we were joking. When we said we weren't, he didn't say another word the rest of the trip. I felt bad for ruining the guy's evening, because you just knew he sold his home for something like 120k as opposed to the 300s 

Not exactly the point I am trying to make. And I don’t agree with slorch. There are neighborhoods in the city that would be great to live in, if I could afford it.

What I was getting at (and I picked Klein randomly) is that if you could afford to buy a house in the cy-fair district and send your kids to daycare and school in that area, I REALLY doubt someone is going to buy in Gulfton rather than Bellaire and send their kid to public or private school. First, if you can afford to put them in private but not afford to buy a house in a better area in the city, that makes zero sense. Why not buy in a better area a bit further out? I doubt anyone with sense would say, “hmm, you know what, I think even though I can afford a nice house with good schools in xyz suburb, instead I will buy a house in the 5th Ward and put my kids in public school there”. That is what dipshit DD is essentially arguing.

I lived in the city. I enjoyed it very much. But I can’t afford to do it in a way that I feel is the best and safest way for my kids. If I could afford a $500,000 house and private school, sure, I would consider it, but that isn’t reality for me or the majority of the middle or even upper middle class.

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Not exactly the point I am trying to make. And I don’t agree with slorch. There are neighborhoods in the city that would be great to live in, if I could afford it.

What I was getting at (and I picked Klein randomly) is that if you could afford to buy a house in the cy-fair district and send your kids to daycare and school in that area, I REALLY doubt someone is going to buy in Gulfton rather than Bellaire and send their kid to public or private school. First, if you can afford to put them in private but not afford to buy a house in a better area in the city, that makes zero sense. Why not buy in a better area a bit further out? I doubt anyone with sense would say, “hmm, you know what, I think even though I can afford a nice house with good schools in xyz suburb, instead I will buy a house in the 5th Ward and put my kids in public school there”. That is what dipshit DD is essentially arguing.

I lived in the city. I enjoyed it very much. But I can’t afford to do it in a way that I feel is the best and safest way for my kids. If I could afford a $500,000 house and private school, sure, I would consider it, but that isn’t reality for me or the majority of the middle or even upper middle class.

Oh I know man. I addressed that this wasn't the point you were trying to make, I was just piggybacking Klein as an example to illustrate my point about people either moving back inwards, or further outwards. I know you don't agree with Slorch from the handful of posts you've made explicitly stating "I do not agree with Slorch" or "Slorch is wrong." People are either moving further out, or closer into the city and wagering that the schools will improve along with the gentrification. It will be interesting to see what the timeline is on that transformation. But I don't think folks are spending spending 500 to 2 million on homes because they think it's going to be an unsafe environment to raise children, even if they can afford to send their kids to private school wherever in the city. These affluent people aren't moving in and building 12 foot security walls with razorwire because they don't think their kids can safely play in their front yards.It's an absurd notion, especially to people who have lived near this area for the better part of 10-12 years. 

Moved from Dallas to Houston last summer.  Whores both places.  Dallas provides a lot of them with shelter - in dozens of "Spas" on WalnutHill/Harry Hines and on Royal and 35/Emerald Lane.  But I also saw street "girls" all the time - walking around north Harry Hines, in the Denton Dr/635 area where my old car dealer was, as well as on Forest/Skillman right north of 635.

Never have been to a town over 50K where they weren't easy to spot without looking.  Even Amarillo, as a matter of fact  - East Amarillo Blvd (old Route 66), as I recall.

So I feel like this is one of those pearl--clutcher invented issues - at least as far a Houston vs. pretty much anywhere else.

Now the roads in Houston - that's a subject for a serious discussion. Fucking worse than Guatemala.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

First, if you can afford to put them in private but not afford to buy a house in a better area in the city, that makes zero sense. Why not buy in a better area a bit further out? I doubt anyone with sense would say, “hmm, you know what, I think even though I can afford a nice house with good schools in xyz suburb, instead I will buy a house in the 5th Ward and put my kids in public school there”.

the commute downtown from anywhere *affordable* in this city makes me want to blow my brains out. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Moved from Dallas to Houston last summer.  Whores both places.  Dallas provides a lot of them with shelter - in dozens of "Spas" on WalnutHill/Harry Hines and on Royal and 35/Emerald Lane.  But I also saw street "girls" all the time - walking around north Harry Hines, in the Denton Dr/635 area where my old car dealer was, as well as on Forest/Skillman right north of 635.

Never have been to a town over 50K where they weren't easy to spot without looking.  Even Amarillo, as a matter of fact  - East Amarillo Blvd (old Route 66), as I recall.

So I feel like this is one of those pearl--clutcher invented issues - at least as far a Houston vs. pretty much anywhere else.

Now the roads in Houston - that's a subject for a serious discussion. Fucking worse than Guatemala.

The issue is more of the trafficking and abuse/ manipulation of the ladies than the theoretical ‘2 parties consent to sex for cash’ type transaction.  Add in how evasive ‘consent’ is these days and gets murky as hell real quickly.

1 minute ago, slorch said:

The issue is more of the trafficking and abuse/ manipulation of the ladies than the theoretical ‘2 parties consent to sex for cash’ type transaction.  Add in how evasive ‘consent’ is these days and gets murky as hell real quickly.

Yeah, but how is Houston unique and special there?

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yeah, but how is Houston unique and special there?

You don’t think Houston’s demographics and diversity make it easier for the bad guys to hide their workers in plain sight? That’s not a slam either, because those are factors in H-town’s greatness, too.  I’m just saying it contributes...

add in nonexistent zoning and grossly corrupt LE....

Just seems a bit of a perfect storm to me. I’ve never lived in Dallas.  It’s hard to believe any other American metro would be worse with regard to the whole situation.

Edited by slorch

You don’t think Houston’s demographics and diversity make it easier for the bad guys to hide their workers in plain sight? That’s not a slam either, because those are factors in H-town’s greatness, too.  I’m just saying it contributes...
Just seems a bit of a perfect storm to me. I’ve never lived in Dallas.  It’s hard to believe any other American metro would be worse with regard to the whole situation.

I agree with slorch. The fact that Houston is a shipping and transportation hub as well as an extremely diverse city, does lend itself to being a place where human trafficking is a big thing. Especially trafficking from Latin America and east Asia.

24 minutes ago, slorch said:

...  It’s hard to believe any other American metro would be worse with regard to the whole situation.

Detroit, D.C., NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, L.A., San Diego, Vegas, Memphis, KC.... shall i go on. https://www.businessinsider.com/what-the-sex-industry-looks-like-in-8-us-cities-2014-3

What if i told you non diverse cities are more promiscuous and the sluts there don't even charge.  https://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/top-10-most-promiscuous-cities-in-the-us/8/

It’s not about promiscuity, at least not directly.

Also, NYC and LA would be the only 2 cities in H-town’s league with regard to ‘environment conducive to trafficking.’

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Or the night clubs on telephone road and the like.

Has anyone ever said "I remember when that area of town was nice"? Only asking because the trucking company I worked for 40 years ago was in that area and it was a shithole then. 

14 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Has anyone ever said "I remember when that area of town was nice"? Only asking because the trucking company I worked for 40 years ago was in that area and it was a shithole then. 

Most folks don’t care to live by the airport

Wow, Slorch'd big time with dumbness. Shady Acres is almost entirely replaced with 400k+ town homes. When I first moved to the area I saw a big different between Timbergrove/Lazybrook and Shady Acres. That is pretty much disappeared over the last 6 years. And the area north of 610 off of TC Jester isn't bad either, just a bunch of slightly cheaper homes than you find in Timbergrove. In general the whole area is a nice for families, and full of pretty well off ones at that. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Wow, Slorch'd big time with dumbness.

You're right.  no crime at all.  Great schools. Fabulous weather. 

Sinclair Elementary ranked 1862 of 4359 Elementaries in Texas.

Love Elementary is 3677th

Black Middle School 636 out of 2080 middle schools

Hamilton Middle School 601

Waltrip High school 1383 out of 1797 High schools in Texas.

add in hyper inflated property values for higher taxes, and Who could resist?

Edited by slorch

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

Ok? I get it, you dont like cities. I dont give a shit. Neither do the families that live here. I like having a suburban style lot and neighborhood in the middle of houston, because fuck driving an hour each way for work. Clearly other families like that too.

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Ok? I get it, you dont like cities. I dont give a shit. Neither do the families that live here. I like having a suburban style lot and neighborhood in the middle of houston, because fuck driving an hour each way for work. Clearly other families like that too.

I don't like getting robbed and/ or shot.  people are on here saying they remember a murder...only one recently in the neighborhood.

I guess shitty schools, high taxes, and a little murder are real calling cards...

and of course, whores.  I'll give you that part.

7 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don't like getting robbed and/ or shot.  people are on here saying they remember a murder...only one recently in the neighborhood.

I guess shitty schools, high taxes, and a little murder are real calling cards...

and of course, whores.  I'll give you that part.

If you're worried about being murdered here, I cant imagine you existing in any major city ever. I mean, god, you must be a pansy man scared of your own shadow. The area doesn't feel anymore dangerous than fucking south austin. But I get it, labradoodles and soccer moms are fucking scary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

New Orleans?  NYC?  Even Jacksonville? 

Dallas is probably too landlocked but it certainly has places where people can hide in plain sight. 

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

the commute downtown from anywhere *affordable* in this city makes me want to blow my brains out. 

define affordable poor. 

4 hours ago, slorch said:

Again, what you do not understand is that context matters.  Oak Forest Elementary is starting to send kids to Black Middle School.  This was not happening before and so the school suffered.  The PTA is graduating members too over there.    

Try harder.  Try again. 

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Steve Earle?

Edited by fattyflattie
Damn auto correct shit
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Shame I can't quote your delightful little edit in there, fucker. Well played.

Yes, @slorch , in my opinion you're 100% incorrect in this instance. In this case, I used to live in Shady Acres and now I've made the massive track across TC Jester into the Timbergrove/Lazybrook district. There's still occasional crime (a guy was shot leaving a bar in Shady Acres last year), but generally speaking sometimes crime is going to travel to where the money is regardless. There's occasional home invasions as well, but this feels way, way less than it did just 5 years ago when it seems like someone would get their door kicked in mid-day once every other month or so. We were chatting with a neighbor recently, and she remarked rather accurately that the entire area is Newlyweds or Nearly Deads. And that's because on our street it's either families or couples under the age of 40-45 or older than 65. A house not far away just sold to a family of 5 who then dropped whatever amount of money it costs to gut a home completely and start from scratch. Sinclair and Oak Forest Elementary are really good schools, and Waltrip just spent millions on expansion and renovation. Homes are being built in Oak Forest and Shady Acres for millions of dollars. If you think that people are spending that kind of money for a home where they can't raise a family, well, I guess agree to disagree man. 

What bar?

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

You sound scared of your own shadow....and I think Houston sucks. 

Scared of what?  Discussing crime statistics, inflated property values(taxes,) and shitty schools makes me 'afraid?'

LOLz.  You're right.  That's why I've lived in one place my whole life.  Too damned skeered.(sarcasmometer check, hard.)

Wonder how many folks touting the greatness of these neighborhoods have ever made a move as extreme as Amarillo, Texas to Lake Charles, La.  Climate-wise, culture-wise, and distance from family it was a pretty decent challenge. I know there are plenty of worldly folks on here, but they're not the ones selling urban Houston life so hard.  We made it exactly a year there, but did not run back to West Texas.  We stayed in Houston metro for the next 15 years.  There are some great things about Houston that we will miss.  There are some craptacularly terrible things that we will not.  Whatever my opinions might be, fear was never a factor.  Saying that i wouldn't want to raise my family or simply live in those areas isn't fear... it's fucking logic and reason.

Edited by slorch

The problem with Houston isn't crime (which is almost always overblown, most everywhere). 

The problem with Houston is even in the most expensive, prestigious neighborhood,  you'd still be in Houston.

33 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Wait. You moved to Amarillo on purpose and then to lake Charles, also on purpose?

Obviously an aficionado on nice places to live....

Houston was probably a little too "urban" for him, if you know what i mean...

Edited by Pam Cummings

The problem with this conversation is you keep moving the goalposts, Slorch. First it was just these areas of town are crime ridden shitburgs. When a half dozen or more people who actually still LIVE in Houston and are familiar with these specific areas showed up and said they felt safe, and would raise their families there, THEN it became about shitty schools. When people said the schools were on an uptick and tax dollars were showing marked improvement for use, it became about expensive property taxes. But the issue with that, is that high property taxes, while shitty, mean that your investment is appreciating nicely and that's more money that flows back into the schools in your area, which is what happens when an area gentrifies. I don't know how these property values are "inflated" when 2 years ago a house selling for 350k is on the market for 2 days now and sells for 500, and then they come in and invest money in gutting the home. Townhomes start at 400 and go as high as 700 now in Shady Acres. That's not a real estate bubble. In fact, as a side note, the central areas of Houston were one of a handful of places in the entire country that were unaffected by the real estate bubble in 2008. These aren't the signs of "inflated" property taxes, this is the sign of major investment by families, big construction corporations, as well as bars and restaurants and commercial developments flocking to the area. The skyrocketing property taxes are a sign that people's real estate investments are paying off. These are all good things. 

But more specifically, Slorch, I'm not going to sit here and call you a coward. I don't know you, or what motivates you. It's literally your opinion versus tens of thousands of people who have moved here in the past 3-4 years, probably a billion dollars worth of residential construction and real estate development that has taken place, and probably several billion dollars if not more in commercial real estate development, including Houston's investment in connecting all of the parks and bike trails. So literally everyone, including risk averse businesses only interested in turning a profit, disagree with you. Those are heavy odds, dude. 

Below are a list of developments I can think of off the top of my head that have opened in the greater heights area in the last year or have been announced:

https://www.braunenterprises.com/heights-waterworks
https://themkt.com/
https://thehoustonfarmersmarket.com/ (Old Canino's Market)
https://www.heightsmercantile.com/
https://www.heightscentralstation.com/

And that's off the top of my head. It doesn't include the influx of individual bars and restaurants. But I'm sure you're right Slorch, people are investing Billions of dollars of commercial investment and more billions in residential development because they don't think people getting shot in the head once a week will deter business at all. You know where you don't see any kind of investment of private and personal capital like this? In really, really shitty neighborhoods of Houston. Nevermind that this is literally a continuation of the same movement 15 years ago that transformed Washington Ave. into a place that wasn't safe to travel on day or night into a bustling entertainment district, and an expensive AF place to live. But I'm sure the people at HEB love building new flagship stores in shitty crime ridden neighborhoods where it's not safe to go to the grocery store. Occam's razor, my man.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

just to be contrarian, it aint like billions of dollars have not been poured into bubbles even in recent past....

Yes. Please ignore my comment that inner houston was one of the only places in the entire country that proved immune to the bubble in 2008 and any other real estate bubble. And this isn't a government bailout. But please, continue baseless contrarianism. 

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yes. Please ignore my comment that inner houston was one of the only places in the entire country that proved immune to the bubble in 2008 and any other real estate bubble

It was immune to "the bubble" because it wasn't in a bubble.  That's like saying your toddler is immune to chicken pox because your toddler didn't contract chicken pox.  Houston in 2008 was cheap.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Wonder how many folks touting the greatness of these neighborhoods have ever made a move as extreme as Amarillo, Texas to Lake Charles, La.  Climate-wise, culture-wise, and distance from family it was a pretty decent challenge. I know there are plenty of worldly folks on here, but they're not the ones selling urban Houston life so hard.  We made it exactly a year there, but did not run back to West Texas.  We stayed in Houston metro for the next 15 years.  There are some great things about Houston that we will miss.  There are some craptacularly terrible things that we will not.  Whatever my opinions might be, fear was never a factor.  Saying that i wouldn't want to raise my family or simply live in those areas isn't fear... it's fucking logic and reason.

Uh, you realize you are the one making grandiose claims, not us, right? No one here is "touting" these are the greatest neighborhoods in Texas. We're just saying they are good places to live. That's about it. No over the top superlatives, just good. We aren't "selling" anything, just correcting your non-sense that they are crime ridden shit holes.  Also, I've never seen you demonstrate logic or reason on this board, and you've certainly not started doing so in this thread.