Houston, we have a hooker problem.

HenryJames

32 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It was immune to "the bubble" because it wasn't in a bubble.  That's like saying your toddler is immune to chicken pox because your toddler didn't contract chicken pox.  Houston in 2008 was cheap.

I mean, I'm pretty sure "Immune to the Bubble," in reference to the national bubble of 2008 is exactly the same thing as "not in a bubble." Thanks for agreeing with me, your semantics aside. If you're suggesting that Houston, specifically the areas of Oak Forest/Greater Heights/Washington Corridor are in some kind of bubble, I'd be curious to hear your explanation. 

Houston's OK.  I've lived here for nearly 30 years.  It's hot and humid in the summer, but not bad in the winter.  The streets inside the loop all need replacing, and some outside the loop.  There's sin and vice here just like everywhere else.  But at this point, it's home.  So far I haven't been held up at gunpoint, but do know folks that have.  It doesn't keep me from my daily 45 minute commute.

14 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Houston's OK.  I've lived here for nearly 30 years.  It's hot and humid in the summer, but not bad in the winter.  The streets inside the loop all need replacing, and some outside the loop.  There's sin and vice here just like everywhere else.  But at this point, it's home.  So far I haven't been held up at gunpoint, but do know folks that have.  It doesn't keep me from my daily 45 minute commute.

came home once and saw (through partially closed blinds) a stranger in my backyard.  almost held him up at gunpoint.  so we have that in common.

apparently crazy fucker was a neighboring sharing back fence.  one of the slats broke, and he accidentally stepped on a nail coming out of it, so he was in the yard nursing his wound.  dont know why he was in MY side of the yard tho.  weird flex but ok

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

just to be contrarian, it aint like billions of dollars have not been poured into bubbles even in recent past....

I don't see it as a bubble.  There is only so much prime land inside the loop or close in.  The city is getting nothing but bigger.  Those prime lots aren't going to lose value.  The house I bought in Afton Oaks 13 years ago is worth 2.5 to 3x what I paid.  You don't get that type of appreciation in the suburbs.  My best friend is selling his home in Greatwood he bought 13 years ago.  For 25% more than he paid.  That does not even keep up with inflation.

Again, there are so many more neighborhoods that are being gentrified close in.  The people who should be worried are the ones who live in 30-40 year old suburbs.  Because that's where the folks being priced out of property will be moving.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

A big problem in Houston is people don't even know their neighbors.

Hang out more in your front yard doing yard work or washing your car.  You will meet your neighbors.  Or walk around your neighborhood with kids.  Real easy to meet people.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Again, there are so many more neighborhoods that are being gentrified close in.  The people who should be worried are the ones who live in 30-40 year old suburbs.  Because that's where the folks being priced out of property will be moving.

And a perfect example of that is Klein. Just a slow but steady decline. 

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

A big problem in Houston is people don't even know their neighbors.

Of of my former neighbors (actually lived down the street from me) has a lot of skeletons in his closet and garage.  

• Like 1

13 years and no crime here at my house in Afton Oaks.  I’m more cautious than I would be in The Woodlands.  I have a serious front door and latch that’s impossible to kick in.  A gate in my driveway.  And I set the alarm every night before bed so in case someone does break in the alarm goes off and gives me time to grab the FN 5-7 that’s in my biometric safe.  

But honestly I’m not too worried these days.  Neighborhood has 24 hour private security that is constantly patrolling since we moved to SEAL Security a few years ago.  And we just don’t have much trouble anymore.  Crime is down everywhere close in. 

35 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

13 years and no crime here at my house in Afton Oaks.  I’m more cautious than I would be in The Woodlands.  I have a serious front door and latch that’s impossible to kick in.  A gate in my driveway.  And I set the alarm every night before bed so in case someone does break in the alarm goes off and gives me time to grab the FN 5-7 that’s in my biometric safe.  

But honestly I’m not too worried these days.  Neighborhood has 24 hour private security that is constantly patrolling since we moved to SEAL Security a few years ago.  And we just don’t have much trouble anymore.  Crime is down everywhere close in. 

Pay attention kids, this is how you humblebrag 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

This may belong in the real estate thread, but if you were buying $40-$60k houses in Houston that needed to be repaired in order to rent them out, what areas would you look with the hope of getting some appreciation?

you can buy a carport on johnny sack's estate

In two or three decades Austin will likely look much like Houston does today. Houston will probably be straight up Thunderdome by then. We’re definitely on a collision course with a large portion of people from all over that want to move here as quick as humanly possible. Having said that, I lived in the West U area for 10 years and really enjoyed my time in Houston. Only returned to Austin twice during that period. We’re now planted in the Hill Country west of Austin and the development out here is like nuclear fission.

2 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

In two or three decades Austin will likely look much like Houston does today. Houston will probably be straight up Thunderdome by then. We’re definitely on a collision course with a large portion of people from all over that want to move here as quick as humanly possible. Having said that, I lived in the West U area for 10 years and really enjoyed my time in Houston. Only returned to Austin twice during that period. We’re now planted in the Hill Country west of Austin and the development out here is like nuclear fission.

The murder rate in Houston like most big cities has plummeted in the last few decades.  It’s getting safer and more gentrified.  

Edited by Johnny Sack

On 5/9/2019 at 9:29 PM, UT_OB1 said:

This may belong in the real estate thread, but if you were buying $40-$60k houses in Houston that needed to be repaired in order to rent them out, what areas would you look with the hope of getting some appreciation?

Here you go in the 5th ward. Buy a few of these lots and sit on it for 10 years and you might have something.

https://www.har.com/mapsearch/?map_tools_nwlat=29.79496741883127&map_tools_nwlng=-95.33667314788818&map_tools_selat=29.77962240409536&map_tools_selng=-95.30989397308349&for_sale=1#m91297986

On 5/9/2019 at 12:04 PM, Johnny Sack said:

The people who should be worried are the ones who live in 30-40 year old suburbs.  Because that's where the folks being priced out of property will be moving.

Honestly,  I have kind of worried about that here in Kingwood.   I realize it's 30 miles from downtown but I wonder if the house I bought in 2011 will really be worth it.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Well that’s because Mexicans are typically the murderers.

Chicano's not a color! It's the way you think and the way you live your life and if you're willing to give up your life for another carnal!

On 5/4/2019 at 9:41 AM, BigHorn'13 said:

Lol I grew up right around the corner and can confirm. The picture is from Bissonnet and 59, for those who are wondering. West Belfort around the corner is pretty "active" as well. 

Used to party at a club around there back in the '80s, Backstage maybe.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:38 PM, Johnny Sack said:

I’m kind of in the same boat. My second home in river oaks has never had any problems with burglary, crime, etc. although like you I’ve got pretty good security. I actually hire a guy to patrol it when I’m not there, which is often.

As for my primary residence in highland park I don’t have the 24 hour security guard but there’s less crime there than in H town. Usually only have it when I take my yearly three week vacation to Europe.

See we got some things in common! 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Used to party at a club around there back in the '80s, Backstage maybe.

There used to be a little chuntarro spot (no idea if I spelled that right but people who know, know) somewhere around there called eclipse. I was probably 13, 14 at most when me and a couple homies started to hang out there. Not inside. Outside in the parking lot and adjoining apartment complexes. And that's where if the black market had a brick and mortar, at least from what I've experienced, eclipse was a model to build upon. You had all the drugs you could look for (except interestingly enough shortly after 9/11 for a couple months, I could've bought a new ak before I could get my hands on an ounce of regular weed.) prostitutes, guns, stereo equipment, cell phones, you name it. And the place had a couple of cops on payroll so you didn't need to worry about anything unless you started shit. 

Ahhhhhh. Growing up in the city.

On 5/9/2019 at 7:38 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Impossible to kick in......

Bruce Lee says hai.

On 5/11/2019 at 8:23 AM, Mez2 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't ever remember a time I thought I would be murdered in Houston 

What’s your address?

We’ll call in a welfare check...