F- Brandon Mouton

F- Brian Boddicker

F- Maurice Evans

F- Kyle Alexander 

F- Myles Turner

F/C- Tristan Thompson

C- Chris Mihm

C- Cam Ridley 

There are guys who could playa role on Rick's ideal All-UT team who I didn't list- Balbay, Brown, Paulino, Ibeh, Buckman, Pons, Holmes, etc- but it's less about trying to make his absolute ideal team (which Balbay would be on), and more about making an ideal team out of his best and/or most important players (which Balbay is nowhere near, but in my mind his like Lamonte Turner and Boddicker are). For me it's pretty hard to argue with that starting 5 as far as college players go, but filling out a 13-man roster out of those bench options would be 

UT is Texas go fuck yourself

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Is that a sigh of relief, Derka?

LoL I had my doubts, too. Colgate impressed.

BPI had Tennessee winning by 10-11 and KenPom had it as something similar so i went ahead made a bet on Colgate +17.5. Near the end of the first half it looked i wasn't even going to cover, next thing you know the game is tied. Burns single handedly won them the second half. Props to him and Colgate.

2 minutes ago, SwanderedTalent said:

between that near collapse and letting Colgate back into the Friday game, those have to be two of the most frustrating tournament wins imaginable

i've been telling my buddy who i bet with that Tennessee has a habit of blowing teams out in the first half only to win the second half by 4, or to actually lose the second half by 8. Betting against Tennessee on second half spreads has been money. 

7 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Congrats, Clintonado.  Good luck next week. 

Thanks man. I’m getting tired of having to reverse the curse with my posts in this thread. You guys beat a very good Wofford team as well. 

I know we arent a basketball school but it’s troubling how Rick has never met a lead he can’t give up. 

very interesting today.  I called it when I saw it, at the 9 minute mark of the 1st half, Rick said "slow down" to one of his guards . Then the team which took only 11 minutes to score 32 points, took about 25 minutes to score the next 32 points and the defense evaporated, just like a few games here at Texas.   The way Barnes' team imploded today made me think of all the other coaches at Texas.  I saw all of these guys live, except Smart, maybe during some of their least watched games, because that is when I could get tickets. 

1. Leon Black - I was too young to know anything about basketball, other than Gregory Gym was a great place to watch a game.  

2. Abe- watched every game on TV and occasionally in person- read the newspaper the morning after the implosion in Waco. -Heart of Texas coliseum - Dumb Baylor Bears with their artificial floor. Abe was the best recruiter ever.  How he got both LaSalle Thompson and Mike Wacker to come to Texas at the same time was incredible.  I will hopefully never forget 14 and 0, number four in the country until the debacle in Waco.  Mike Wacker would never be the same.  Then I watched on TV as Eddie and Abe got into a pretty heated argument.  Of course the implosion gave DeLoss the leverage he needed to get rid of Abe. 

Years later I got to watch Abe coach a different team, probably Pan Am - play in San Marcos for something and Abe still had it "You must be a girl's referee" he told one of the zebras. 

3. Weltlich - most boring coach ever. Dodds was the only person happy with this hire.   Team reflected his personality, and despite that I remember the Brownlee year when we tied for the conference championship and sold out the Erwin Center - one time- game against Aggy. 

4. Penders.  Wow! until the scandal and of course even before the scandal he had lost his "it factor".  He wasn't the same coach the last couple of years he was the first few. 

5. Barnes - same story third verse. - super recruiter, great results first few years and then something happened.  Lost the "it factor".   Today was an incredible microcosm of his career at Texas.  Start off like a house on fire, and then limp in and barely survive.  

6. Smart - haven't been watching, but from reading on here, I am not missing much. 

dude- you're embarrassing yourself. Rick did not call for Tennessee to start bleeding clock *with 9 minutes to go in the first half*. no coach in history has ever done that. you saw Rick say "slow down" to one of his players with no context whatsoever, and since then you've made 17 raging posts about how Rick started running the clock halfway through the first half. it's a completely ridiculous take. stahp. seriously. 

look at the facts.  Who holds the record for the highest blown save in NCAA men's history?  Rick Barnes.  It would be one thing if this was a first time occurence.  Another poster recalled that Rick did this before, while at Texas.   You don't have to agree with me.  Just look at the facts.  

dude- you're embarrassing yourself. Rick did not call for Tennessee to start bleeding clock *with 9 minutes to go in the first half*. no coach in history has ever done that. you saw Rick say "slow down" to one of his players with no context whatsoever, and since then you've made 17 raging posts about how Rick started running the clock halfway through the first half. it's a completely ridiculous take. stahp. seriously. 

Man, I love you but your crazy if you don’t think he is relaxing tempo. Otherwise he is a shitty second half coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

Man, I love you but your crazy if you don’t think he is relaxing tempo. Otherwise he is a shitty second half coach

with nine minutes to go in the first half? he decided to start running clock? zero chance. no ncaa coach has ever/would ever do that. 

also, as i've pointed out, schofield and williams getting into foul trouble also coincided with Tennessee's dip in form. you tell me what's more likely- Rick decides to kill the clock with 30 minutes of game left to play, or Tennessee struggled with their teo All Americans on the bench against a physical Big 10 team that leads the country in FTA. Come on guys. 

Edited by Goo Punch

4 minutes ago, Clintonaldo said:

I’m on that second half shit man.

well boy wonder over there keeps insisting that Rick started bleeding clock with 9 minutes left in the first half, which is what i'm arguing with. i just made a post about how i've made money on betting against tennessee's point spread in the 2H of games. I'm obviously not denying that they slow it down by design at times. But a lot of that has had to do with Tennessee blowing out inferior teams in the first half. Not the worst problem to have., and certainly nowhere near calling to bleed the clock 1/4 through the game.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

well boy wonder over there keeps insisting that Rick started bleeding clock with 9 minutes left into first half. i just made a post about how i've made money on bettering against tennessee's point spread in the 2H of games. I'm obviously not denying that. But a lot of that has had to do with Tennessee blowing out inferior teams in the first half. Not the worst problem to have. 

I didn’t read his post so yes that was dumb. I’m happy we won but our lack of rotation will get us.

Just now, Clintonaldo said:

I didn’t read his post so yes that was dumb. I’m happy we won but our lack of rotation will get us.

yeah Barnes generally goes to a 7 man rotation in the tournament, maybe an 8th guy gets some run for one reason or another. i'll say this about it- it does help your key players get into a groove, and if Bone, Bowden, and Turner are all playing well then you guys can beat anybody. next round against Purdue would be a good time for those three to all be hitting. 

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Rick said "slow down" to one of his guards

Every coach other than Paul Westhead has said "Slow down!" to a guard before when the guard in question is pushing when numbers don't justify it, or taking bad shots early in the shot clock, or not waiting for his team to complete transition before trying to set the offense, or any number of things.

It's a lot more likely that Barnes wanted the guard in question to take a breath and make smart decisions, i.e., slow down, than it is that he wanted his offense to stop attacking and scoring.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

look at the facts.  Who holds the record for the highest blown save in NCAA men's history?  Rick Barnes.  

Not Rick Barnes.  First of all, Tennessee won which makes it difficult to set the record for largest lead blown.  They did say during the game that 25 points would have tied the record.  Iona had a 25 point lead vs BYU in 2012 and lost the game.

Edited by WBT

major props to Admiral Schofield for continuing to lead his team even after being benched late. barnes showed huge balls to bench Schofield like that, and Schofield and the Vols responded. mental toughness was never a question about any of Rick's better teams, and that remains to be true today. 

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like one of those decisions where the coach gets lauded when it works out and dumped on when it doesn't. It worked out today.

yep. here's what i think really happened: schofield was huge in the first half but got into foul trouble and then had a bad second half with several questionable plays/decisions. I think that Barnes benched him for that, in favor of Alexander who was in fact having a great day.

what's interesting is that schofield made post game comments on the court which somewhat contradict that Barnes quote on the situation, so from there it's anyone's guess. it could be that Barnes straight up benched him and that Scho had a good attitude about it and/or volunteered to let Kyle stay in, or it could be that Barnes was in fact willing to let him back in and Scho decided to let KA ride it out. we'll probably never know.

what we do know is that Scho handled it with class and leadership and he helped his team get that win with his attitude towards the who situation, and that's special right there. Guys like Schofield and Williams are why I really want to see this team go the school's first ever Final Four.

Edited by Goo Punch

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

yep. here's what i think really happened: schofield was huge in the first half but got into foul trouble and then had a bad second half with several questionable plays/decisions. I think that Barnes benched him for that, in favor of Alexander who was in fact having a great day.

what's interesting is that schofield made post game comments on the court which somewhat contradict that Barnes quote on the situation, so from there it's anyone's guess. it could be that Barnes straight up benched him and that Scho had a good attitude about it and/or volunteered to let Kyle stay in, or it could be that Barnes was in fact willing to let him back in and Scho decided to let KA ride it out. we'll probably never know.

what we do know is that Scho handled it with class and leadership and he helped his team get that win with his attitude towards the who situation, and that's special right there. Guys like Schofield and Williams are why I really want to see this team go the school's first ever Final Four.

Apparently it is legit that he said keep KA in the game. Good for him but that is questionable. 

well apparently he said it because he didn't want to mess with the flow of the game in OT which Tennessee did open with a 7-0 run, so if that's the case it makes more sense than just straight up benching himself.

Edited by Goo Punch