Rick Barnes thread

Goo Punch

giving Tennessee a draw where they'll likely play a very good Cincy team in Columbus in round two is pretty shitty. in fact i just took Cincy with my second pick in the MM seeded draft, because it would not surprise me at all to see them beat Tennessee, nor would it be some huge upset. Tough draw for the Vols. Gonna really need Turner, Alexander, and the rest of the supporting cast to really step it up should they face Cincy in round two.

right, i'm the clown. literally nobody has done more with less the last two seasons than Tennessee, and yet you've continually popped in here to predict failure after failure after failure, and despite you continually being wrong, you just keep coming back once every blue moon when Tennessee does lose (as a road underdog or in a tournament final) as if haven't been consistently wrong about Tennessee this entire time. you were in here in January guaranteeing a collapse in February/March, and despite being wrong again as usual you remain undeterred. you're a moron of the highest order.

and not that you would know this, since you literally never know what you're talking about, but a whole bunch of experts have already picked Cincy over Tennessee in round two. It's a terrible draw to have to play a team that good in that city.

Edited by Goo Punch

Whether or not RB succeeds or fails at Tenn doesn’t matter to me.

He had 2 decades here, was paid well for it, and should have been able to show us his coaching ceiling during that time.

He advanced Texas on the BB frontier, and thank him for that. Perhaps he will achieve more in his current location, perhaps not.

It does not change the facts or how he will be remembered to most Longhorns IMO. He was not set loose prematurely. Neither was FUPM.

Edited by El Squared
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Blotto said:

Actually a Barnes bet should bring some good Surly lulz. Now that Tenn is officially a #2 seed I'll offer the following:

$50 wager prop to Barnes fans

A two seed implies the team should make the final 8 teams. Been lots talk about Barnes ability/inability to perform to his seed in the NCAA's. Payoffs as follows:

Tenn loses in 1st Rd - you owe $200

Tenn loses in 2nd Rd - you owe $100

Tenn loses in sweet 16, you owe $50

Tenn loses in Elite 8, push

Tenn loses final 4, you win $50

Tenn loses in Championship, you win $100

Tenn wins it all you win $200

Basically, payoffs on either side escalate based on how much Rick exceeds or misses seeded expectations. I would argue that as a #2 seed, Tenn is much more likely to win it all, than lose to a #15, so these payouts probably favor the Barnes backers.

EDIT #1 - will only accept wagers from user names already registered.

Bumped for @Goo Punch since it was on the other page.

Hell no. What an awful proposition. No fan of any school should ever take a bet like that. Ever. If Kansas fans did this every year they all be in debt. And that's Kansas. So no, of course I'm not going to take such a ridiculously one-sided prop.

I love how stating the fact that Rick's teams generally play to their seed, or that he's made the EE every year he's been a 2 seed or better suddenly turns into the gauntlet being thrown down about this year's team, as if that has anything to do with the above facts. "Oh yeah! Well if you're so sure about that then put your money up!!" Okay. I'll bet you $100, or $1,000, or $10,000, or any amount of money that Rick Barnes has made the EE or better every time he's had a 2 seed or better. Sound good? I accept paypal, venmo, and the cash app.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

25 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Hell no. What an awful proposition. No fan of any school should ever take a bet like that. Ever. If Kansas fans did this every year they all be in debt. And that's Kansas. So no, of course I'm not going to take such a ridiculously one-sided prop.

I love how stating the fact that Rick's teams generally play to their seed, or that he's made the EE every year he's been a 2 seed or better suddenly turns into the gauntlet being thrown down about this year's team, as if that has anything to do with the above facts. "Oh yeah! Well if you're so sure about that then put your money up!!" Okay. I'll bet you $100, or $1,000, or $10,000, or any amount of money that Rick Barnes has made the EE or better every time he's had a 2 seed or better. Sound good? I accept paypal, venmo, and the cash app.

Hey man, I'm just a bystander here but you've been beating those facts like a drum for sometime now. They either mean something to you or they don't. No confidence in your guy all of a sudden when it might affect your pocketbook is a bit puzzling given your stance up to this point. It's a fair observation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Blotto said:

Lulz. I only have a couple of college degrees, but they were both earned here at UT Austin. So fuck off with that Vols fan bullshit.

And my point still stands. You think you know more than 995 out of 1000 basketball fans, but in reality your just another message board jagoff like the rest of us. Nobody cares that you wear Rick Barnes pajamas to bed every night. You are wrong as often as you are correct. You just never stop fucking crowing about it. Ever. 

Wrong. He is Rick Barnes. The Vols would have won, but coach Barnes spent the entire game arguing with jagoffs on a Texas message board instead of coaching.

• Haha 1

Cincinnati is the worst of the four 7 seeds in the bracket per KenPom (Wofford is 19, Louisville is 17, Nevada is 25, and Cincy is 32). Yes, it is unfortunate that Tennessee drew a 7 seed that might actually have a decent fan turnout in the first/second round games, but this is hardly some insurmountable obstacle.

Edited by Machinator

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

According to my ratings system, Tennessee has a 43.45% chance of making the Elite 8 against their draw.

Very simple bet could be arranged. If Tennessee makes the Elite 8 then MotownHorn gives you $56.55, if they don't then you give him $43.45 (or that ratio at different specific amounts).

Interestingly enough, ESPN's BPI gives Tennessee a 43.4% chance of making the Elite 8.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/tournament

Edited by Huckleberry

For the record, Goo Punch is correct that the offered bet is a sucker's proposition. Goo Punch's EV on that bet would be a loss of $26.31. The structure of the bet favors the person on the "lose early" side of it in general regardless of team. More teams lose early than reach the final four, obviously.

If Goo Punch took Duke with the exact same bet his expected value would be a profit of 35 cents. That is the only team in this tournament for whom it would a +EV.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

According to my ratings system, Tennessee has a 43.45% chance of making the Elite 8 against their draw.

Very simple bet could be arranged. If Tennessee makes the Elite 8 then MotownHorn gives you $56.55, if they don't then you give him $43.45 (or that ratio at different specific amounts).

Interestingly enough, ESPN's BPI gives Tennessee a 43.4% chance of making the Elite 8.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/tournament

that a prop i would consider much more than the previous one. That said I doubt I'll be accepting any sort of prop where I bet on the Vols, because i'm already so invested in Tennessee that that it'll be shitty enough for me already if they fall short of the Elite 8.

I do still expect them to beat Cincy/Iowa and be playing for a spot in the Elite 8, I just think that they were done no favors by having to play such a tough team (28-6 this year, really good program under Cronin, i mean they're fucking 89-17 over the last three years and one of the best defensive teams in the country) in round two in its home state, regardless of the fact that Cincy is barely even in Ohio as mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Cincinnati is the worst of the four 7 seeds in the bracket per KenPom (Wofford is 19, Louisville is 17, Nevada is 25, and Cincy is 32). Yes, it is unfortunate that Tennessee drew a 7 seed that might actually have a decent fan turnout in the first/second round games, but this is hardly some insurmountable obstacle.

I've been a big fan of Cincy under Cronin, he was my first choice to replace Shaka since several years ago, and I absolutely have a lot of respect for his program and would not want to play them in the second round of the tourney as a highly favored seed (nor would I want to play Louisville either, based on similar principles re: Chris Mack).

Here's the brass tacks: Since moving to the AAC Cincy has been dominant, and Cronin has been there forever, meaning they have an established identity and style. They are one of the best defensive teams in the country every year, they and they are one of the best rebounding teams in the country. Ask any Tennessee fan- when their shooters don't play well they struggle, and Tennessee's weak spot is in the post where they lack size and skilled depth. For me Cincy is one of the very last teams I would want to see in round 2 as a Vols fan. The Vols are a better team; the Vols should win that game; but anyone who doesn't respect Cincy as a 7 seed is foolish. 

5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

also i have no idea what your "offer" is, but i'm sure it's something extremely intelligent and well thought out. 

FTR I earned a PhD at the University of Texas at Austin. From what I can tell you never even attended the university? So GTFOut of here with your weak attempt to insult my intelligence.

The offer is based on Blotto's prop bet. But let's be honest, you'll write a paragraph on Sunday afternoon melting down and attacking me personally out of nowhere, but you will never put your money where your mouth is. That mouth is reserved for Barnes's ______.

See below.

Actually a Barnes bet should bring some good Surly lulz. Now that Tenn is officially a #2 seed I'll offer the following:

$50 wager prop to Barnes fans

A two seed implies the team should make the final 8 teams. Been lots talk about Barnes ability/inability to perform to his seed in the NCAA's. Payoffs as follows:

Tenn loses in 1st Rd - you owe $200

Tenn loses in 2nd Rd - you owe $100

Tenn loses in sweet 16, you owe $50

Tenn loses in Elite 8, push

Tenn loses final 4, you win $50

Tenn loses in Championship, you win $100

Tenn wins it all you win $200

Basically, payoffs on either side escalate based on how much Rick exceeds or misses seeded expectations. I would argue that as a #2 seed, Tenn is much more likely to win it all, than lose to a #15, so these payouts probably favor the Barnes backers.

EDIT #1 - will only accept wagers from user names already registered.

FWIW I think Tennessee is clearly the worst of the top 8 teams, and I don't see them having any chance to win the title without some major upsets occurring elsewhere in the bracket. An Elite 8 run would cap a really nice year, and a Final Four run would be an outstanding achievement, and would sort of make up for his 2006 team losing to LSU in the EE, insofar as that was one of the 2-3 best teams in the country and underachieved, whereas this team is clearly no better than 8th in the country and a FF run would be an overachievement. Going out in the S16 or earlier would be a real disappointment and in reality would probably be the biggest blemish on Barnes' entire tourney resume.

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

FWIW I think Tennessee is clearly the worst of the top 8 teams, and I don't see them having any chance to win the title without some major upsets occurring elsewhere in the bracket. An Elite 8 run would cap a really nice year, and a Final Four run would be an outstanding achievement, and would sort of make up for his 2006 team losing to LSU in the EE, insofar as that was one of the 2-3 best teams in the country and underachieved, whereas this team is clearly no better than 8th in the country and a FF run would be an overachievement. Going out in the S16 or earlier would be a real disappointment and in reality would probably be the biggest blemish on Barnes' entire tourney resume.

You are hilarious. Preemptive excuses for Barnes inevitable flop job.

I assume you will not bet me. I see your true colors...

you literally made a long angry post tagging me on Sunday afternoon. I was out in the world hanging out at a farm brewery with my brother and our families watching our young kids run around and be happy (among other things)

You, out of nowhere, make a long angry post basically calling me an asshole jerk who knows nothing about college basketball. Despite the fact that I hadn’t posted in this thread in weeks.

Yet now, one day later, you are making preemptive excuses and dodging my multiple attempts to put your money where your mouth.

Simply put, you are a weak useless loudmouth pussy bitch who wastes everyones time.

Edited by MotownHorn
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

GP you'll love this.....

Finebaum said on his show today, that if Tennessee doesn't make Final 4...... it's a disappointing season for the Vols.

(FWIW..... I don't think he believes it.... just trying to stir shit up with callers)

Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

You are hilarious. Preemptive excuses for Barnes inevitable flop job.

I assume you will not bet me. I see your true colors...

you literally made a long angry post tagging me on Sunday afternoon. I was out in the world hanging out at a farm brewery with my brother and our families watching our young kids run around and be happy (among other things)

You, out of nowhere, make a long angry post basically calling me an asshole jerk who knows nothing about college basketball. Despite the fact that I hadn’t posted in this thread in weeks.

Yet now, one day later, you are making preemptive excuses and dodging my multiple attempts to put your money where your mouth.

Simply put, you are a weak useless loudmouth pussy bitch who wastes everyones time.

First off, I already posted earlier today that I'm not making any bets on Tennessee period, but great rant. Second, it's hilarious that you'd play the, "I was out having a life while you were obsessing about me" card, because that's actually your entire MO here, and was the very impetus for me to preemptively tag you in the post since you were already scheduled to make an appearance.

You yourself said it- you hadn't posted here in weeks, because you only pop in here to post when Tennessee falters, and that doesn't happen often. The other 95% of the season when Tennessee is winning 29 games, or beating Gonzaga, or thumping Kentucky, or beating them again in the tournament, or ranked #1 for a month, etc etc etc, you're nowhere to be found. You're the obsessive weirdo here, popping in to talk uninformed smack every time Rick Barnes loses a game. You're just too dumb to realize it.

Also, what you keep referring to as "preemptive excuses for Tennessee" aren't any sort of deviation from what I've posted about them all year long, which you would know if you'd actually earnestly participated in this thread even once this season, as opposed to simply popping in every blue moon when Tennessee played poorly. But again, this is what i've been saying to/about you all along.

You are literally too stupid for me to argue with anymore, because i don't have time to keep catching you up on what's actually going on in this thread. Stop yelling at me about making bets with your retarded ass and go find a hobby. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Fuck You 1

Oh yeah, the other thing about Cincy- they ave the ability to dictate tempo, which is huge in the tourney. Cincy makes the game slow to a grind, and as mentioned they play great defense and they are an outstanding rebounding team, so that's a tough matchup for a Tennessee team that hasn't been as good at shooting the ball as they had expected coming into the year (which if you look back at my initial posts from the season is exactly what I said would determine how far they would go). Only Schofield has been a knockdown shooter, which is disappointing. Bowden was expected to be a 40% shooter, and Turner shooting .308 has been a big letdown. So if Tennessee isn't hitting shots against Cincy then it will either be a close win or an outright loss. 

Of course the flip side to this is that because of that exact same style which could be a problem for Tennessee if they aren't shooting well, Cincy could just as well lose to Iowa or get blown out by Tennessee. Cincy doesn't really put teams away, and as they are generally a poor shooting team their slow pace allows inferior opponents to stay in the game. If Tennessee is shooting well and their Big Two aren't in foul trouble then they could easily beat Cincy by double digits, or win a game comfortably at least. As I've said, Tennessee is the better team and should win the game should the two teams meet, but it's not hard to imagine that matchup being a tight one.

11 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

SIAP....

ESPN in preview info for Tennessee has this nugget scrolling on their banner.........

"Rick Barnes:  11 losses in Rd of 64 (2nd most all-time)"

FTR-

Rick Barnes' first round losses as a head coach:

198912 seed Providence (18-11, 7-9) lost to 5 seed UVA 100-97

1990 9 seed Providence (17-12, 8-8) lost to 8 seed Ohio State 84-83

1994 8 seed Providence (20-10, 10-8) lost to 9 seed Alabama 76-70

1996 9 seed Clemson (18-11, 7-9) lost to 8 seed Georgia 81-74

1998 6 seed Clemson (18-14, 7-9) lost to 11 seed Western Michigan 75-72

1999 7 seed Texas (19-13, 13-3) lost to 10 seed Purdue 58-54

2001 6 seed Texas (25-9, 12-4) lost to 11 seed Temple 79-65

2005 8 seed Texas (20-11, 9-7) lost to 9 seed Nevada 61-57

2010 8 seed Texas (24-10, 9-7) lost to 9 seed Wake Forest 81-80

2012 11 seed Texas (20-14, 9-9) lost to 6 seed Cincinnati 65-59

2015 11 seed Texas (20-14, 8-10) lost to 6 seed Butler 57-48

buncha 18-win, .500 conference record, underdog, and/or 8 vs 9 or 7 vs 10 type games. his worst first round loss by seed is as a 6 seed twice, and neither of those teams was all that great. He's been a head coach for 31 years, he's been to 24 NCAA tourneys, and he's won at least one game in more than half of them. And his first round losses and upset losses are by and large games they were supposed to lose/closely seeded games/with teams that were never very good anyway.

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Rick Barnes gets the most out of lesser talent, his teams often play over their heads during the season and rise well above preseason expectations rankings wise, and his postseason results when actually examined deeper than just "he's lost more first round games than anyone" shows that he very rarely has a team truly fail to live up to postseason expectations. 

he's a mediocre-average tourney coach, which doesn't even put him in the "good" category- but his record is still a lot better than almost anyone realizes/cares to realize. Rick Barnes as a tourney coach >>>>>>> Tony Bennett as a tourney coach, yet you never hear people talk about Bennett the way they do Barnes, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that anywhere from 66%-90%+ of CBB fans would say they'd rather have Bennett as their tourney coach than Barnes, even though history says that's dumb.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

they're starting to. i'd be really shocked to hear any impartial cbb fan say they'd rather have barnes coaching their team in the tourney than bennett, or pretty much any other coach for that matter. most fans think barnes is just about/actually the worst tourney coach ever, when the truth is that Roy, and Self, and Bennett, and Wright, and plenty more HC's have more early losses with highly ranked teams/worse losses overall than Barnes. 

That's just how fans (and media) are.

I'd be willing to bet Bob Stoops lost more "big" games at OU than won, but he beat Texas five years in a row when both programs were in the national spotlight and won a title in his second year, so he become "Big Game Bob." Mack Brown's teams got labeled soft--our own fan base propagated this myth!--but you don't win a national championship, play in another, and get screwed out of a third over a 12-season span by playing soft.

Arguing (and posting page-length missives) is pointless, however. Most people are merely capable of believing what they want to believe, so the only thing that will change their minds about Barnes is for him to do something that vastly surpasses their expectations.

52 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

FTR-Rick Barnes' first round losses as a head coach:

198912 seed Providence (18-11, 7-9) lost to 5 seed UVA 100-97

1990 9 seed Providence (17-12, 8-8) lost to 8 seed Ohio State 84-83

1994 8 seed Providence (20-10, 10-8) lost to 9 seed Alabama 76-70

1996 9 seed Clemson (18-11, 7-9) lost to 8 seed Georgia 81-74

1998 6 seed Clemson (18-14, 7-9) lost to 11 seed Western Michigan 75-72

1999 7 seed Texas (19-13, 13-3) lost to 10 seed Purdue 58-54

2001 6 seed Texas (25-9, 12-4) lost to 11 seed Temple 79-65

2005 8 seed Texas (20-11, 9-7) lost to 9 seed Nevada 61-57

2010 8 seed Texas (24-10, 9-7) lost to 9 seed Wake Forest 81-80

2012 11 seed Texas (20-14, 9-9) lost to 6 seed Cincinnati 65-59

2015 11 seed Texas (20-14, 8-10) lost to 6 seed Butler 57-48

buncha 18-win, .500 conference record, underdog, and/or 8 vs 9 or 7 vs 10 type games. his worst first round loss by seed is as a 6 seed twice, and neither of those teams was all that great. He's been a head coach for 31 years, he's been to 24 NCAA tourneys, and he's won at least one game in more than half of them. And his first round losses and upset losses are by and large games they were supposed to lose/closely seeded games/with teams that were never very good anyway.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Mack Brown's teams got labeled soft--our own fan base propagated this myth!--but you don't win a national championship, play in another, and get screwed out of a third over a 12-season span by playing soft.

i realize this is off topic, but I think soft was an apt description of most of Mack's teams. Soft pre-Vince, soft and talent deficient post-Colt. 

Trying to come up with Rick Barnes' all-UT team:

Starting 5-

G- TJ Ford

G/F- Kevin Durant 

F- PJ Tucker

F- Grant Williams

F/C- LaMarcus Aldridge 

Bench options-

G- DJ Augustin

G- Jordan Bone

G- AJ Abrams 

G- Daniel Gibson

G- Avery Bradley

G- Cory Jospeh

G- Jordan Bowden

G- Isaiah Taylor 

G- Royal Ivey

G- Lamonte Turner

F-Admiral Schofield

F- Jordan Hamilton

F- Damion James

F- Chris Owens

F- Brandon Mouton

F- Brian Boddicker

F- Maurice Evans

F- Kyle Alexander 

F- Myles Turner

F/C- Tristan Thompson

C- Chris Mihm

C- Cam Ridley 

There are guys who could playa role on Rick's ideal All-UT team who I didn't list- Balbay, Brown, Paulino, Ibeh, Buckman, Pons, Holmes, etc- but it's less about trying to make his absolute ideal team (which Balbay would be on), and more about making an ideal team out of his best and/or most important players (which Balbay is nowhere near, but in my mind his like Lamonte Turner and Boddicker are). For me it's pretty hard to argue with that starting 5 as far as college players go, but filling out a 13-man roster out of those bench options would be tough. 

• Like 1