Spike in Dallas violent crime

Message Board User

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Since I rarely consider the city of Dallas all by itself, i didn’t realize that it is less populous than San Antonio. 

Yeah. Most of San antonio is... in san antonio. Most of Dallas isn't. 

I remember when I used to be in awe of Dallas. Now with pretty much everyone from around the world either moving to the Austin area, or dreaming of of it, I rarely think of Dallas anymore. The fact that my Cowboys have become a perennially failure probably has something to do with that too.

Probably not given that only covers non-violent offenses. There’s not enough cops and too many assholes out there who solve arguments with guns. Add to that a completely ineffective City Council who do nothing to solve the cop shortage and pay issue.

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Probably not given that only covers non-violent offenses. There’s not enough cops and too many assholes out there who solve arguments with guns. Add to that a completely ineffective City Council who do nothing to solve the cop shortage and pay issue.

I think he might be saying the cops are up charging to major offenses to get the DA to prosecute, when they think they can. 

This DPS stuff is more about the 40 murders last month and the highly visible murders this month like the car wash shootout and the teen who died in the crossfire at the epicenter of violence in Pleasant Grove, a shitty convenience store that needs to be shut down. Constant can maybe speak to this but DPD homicide only has I think 12 detectives. 

There is a huge spike in car burglaries but that was happening before Cruzot’s new policy went into effect. This city needs more cops. We’re facing a shortage of 1000 officers. 

Edited by mdmost

22 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This city needs more cops. We’re facing a shortage of 1000 officers. 

Maybe they should hire somebody else as chief of police.....like maybe somebody local or at least somebody from Texas....I would not want to work for somebody from Detroit

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

This DPS stuff is more about the 40 murders last month and the highly visible murders this month like the car wash shootout and the teen who died in the crossfire at the epicenter of violence in Pleasant Grove, a shitty convenience store that needs to be shut down. Constant can maybe speak to this but DPD homicide only has I think 12 detectives. 

There is a huge spike in car burglaries but that was happening before Cruzot’s new policy went into effect. This city needs more cops. We’re facing a shortage of 1000 officers. 

13 homicide detectives but that was beefed up by 4 or so. Although, I’m not sure how much of that is PR lip service. 

There is absolutely a shortage. I work 11pm-7am. It is not shocking or uncommon to log into the computer in the car and see calls holding from the early AM hours. Those aren’t your higher priority calls, but most days staying afloat is all we’re after. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Even if it isn't game playing with Creuzot, odds are pretty good that it's some ComSTAT bs related to various cop issues like pay, pension, hiring. 

These oats were sowed years ago. This isn’t some flash reaction to any one issue. 

Yep. This has been simmering for years. Low wages, cuts to pensions, way too much attrition, and better paying jobs in the suburbs. And the cherry on top of this shit sandwich is there was a city council and mayoral runoff yesterday and maybe 8% of registered voters actually turned out. And the other 92% will bitch about high crime and lack of police.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mdmost said:

uh HELLO!!!!

long term pension plan security right here!

94ad0af3-2ff0-4655-a580-9f1c8127d93a_dt.

3 hours ago, Constant said:

Some stats for the nerds out there. 

Chicago about twice the population of Dallas and had 550 murders in 2018.   Dallas on pace for 228.  Other cities have higher per capita murder rates...over 20 of them, in fact.  But it's fun to sensationalize shit. 

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#7 (note Chicago rates dropped the year after this where Chi only finished 25th)

Population info from:  https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/chicago_il/dallas_tx/people

Anyways, pray for me. 

On 6/9/2019 at 3:27 PM, mdmost said:

Yep. This has been simmering for years. Low wages, cuts to pensions, way too much attrition, and better paying jobs in the suburbs. And the cherry on top of this shit sandwich is there was a city council and mayoral runoff yesterday and maybe 8% of registered voters actually turned out. And the other 92% will bitch about high crime and lack of police.

But I think it's rather come to a head.  The ridiculously generous pension was to compensate for the low pay.  Now that the pension is no longer so generous  . . . .

53 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Chicago about twice the population of Dallas and had 550 murders in 2018.   Dallas on pace for 228.  Other cities have higher per capita murder rates...over 20 of them, in fact.  But it's fun to sensationalize shit. 

https://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/the-cities-with-the-highest-murder-rates-in-the-us/collection_5a789407-4d43-5403-ad56-7c47880bda8e.html#7 (note Chicago rates dropped the year after this where Chi only finished 25th)

Population info from:  https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/chicago_il/dallas_tx/people

Anyways, pray for me. 

Yeah, I’m not intending to sensationalize the murder numbers. They will even out. It is what it is. But Dallas’ larger issue of available officers to address the call load is not sensationalized. It’s 11:55 P.M., and right now we have 53 calls for service holding in my division; oldest from 3:17 P.M. Thats the problem. 

9 minutes ago, Constant said:

Yeah, I’m not intending to sensationalize the murder numbers. They will even out. It is what it is. But Dallas’ larger issue of available officers to address the call load is not sensationalized. It’s 11:55 P.M., and right now we have 53 calls for service holding in my division; oldest from 3:17 P.M. Thats the problem. 

That's ridiculous. Has to be terrible on morale. 

8 hours ago, Constant said:

Yep, didn’t mean you sensationalizing the issue.  And that sucks.  At least here they have a solid number of officers on the ground - still short I’m sure but not that bad.  

4 minutes ago, Hpara759 said:

I have seen some print interviews that are somewhat less than confidence-inspiring.  But I can't point to anything particularly objective that indicates incompetence (certainly doesn't mean she's not or that I am fully informed).

What does Constant think?

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have seen some print interviews that are somewhat less than confidence-inspiring.  But I can't point to anything particularly objective that indicates incompetence (certainly doesn't mean she's not or that I am fully informed).

What does Constant think?

Any Chief that slid into that spot in the current climate was going to struggle. While Brown left somewhat a celebrity and favored due to his 7/7 handlings(and rightfully so, he handled it all beautifully)- he left most of the department in disarray. 

Dwindled numbers that aren’t just effecting bodies on the street, but also in places you can’t see. Most investigative bureaus are short-staffed by half. Crime scene tech staffing can be an absolute joke. Other specialties like K9, traffic units-which specialize in working the extremely complex crashes(fatalities etc.), and mounted are decimated in numbers. 

Any rise in crime is going to fall on her shoulders but a lot of the issues started a decade ago with decisions made under Brown’s tenure. 

Although, I’m not excusing her either. She is 0/3 on her grandiose ideas so far. She’s made some policy changes that were targeted to increase moral(beards etc.) but at the end of the day thats hot air. And so far she is full of hot air.  

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

If Eric Johnson is smart he'll fire Chief Hall and T.C. Broadnax on his first day. Our city manager is a national disgrace for how he handled the 911 debacle a few years ago

And get sued the next day by both as in the case in Fort Worth.

On 6/13/2019 at 9:35 AM, TwiceHorn said:

She appears to be an indoctrinated moron:

Speaking about two recent homicide cases, Chief Hall said, “There are individuals in this city who have returned from prison who cannot find a job, who are not educated.  In those instances those individuals are forced to commit violent acts.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/03/dallas-police-chief-renee-hall-forced-violent-acts/

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

She appears to be an indoctrinated moron:

Speaking about two recent homicide cases, Chief Hall said, “There are individuals in this city who have returned from prison who cannot find a job, who are not educated.  In those instances those individuals are forced to commit violent acts.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/03/dallas-police-chief-renee-hall-forced-violent-acts/

That isn't a false narrative, but I'm not sure that it's one that a Chief of Police ought to be repeating. 

Schutze, as usual, has an interesting take on the issue.  https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/if-morale-is-her-achilles-heel-dallas-police-chief-is-toast-11686179

Great observation about yankee hubris, his own and Hall's, about how much worse it must be in southern cities and states, when it is frequently better.

It appears, from this and another story or two that the retention issue is on both ends of the spectrum, young officers and older.  Might seem that the causes of attrition for the two groups are different.

Edited by TwiceHorn