2019-2020 NBA Season Thread

Goo Punch

There have been plenty of worse #2s than Middleton on title teams. The issue is with their #1 guy and maybe their #3-#6 rotation.

There have been at most 3 since 2000. And I'm just conceding 2 of them (06 heat and whatever year dallas won) because I can't remember who the #2 was. The third had LeBron and some would argue that Kyrie was better than Middleton. I wouldn't, because Kyrie is one of the most overrated players of the entire decade. But either way, there aren't many #2s worse than Middleton on championship teams. Obviously not any of the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Heatles teams.

And before 2000 you're talking hall of famers as the #2 on most teams. So if milwaukee won a title Middleton would probably be the 4th worst #2 ever.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

There have been plenty of worse #2s than Middleton on title teams. The issue is with their #1 guy and maybe their #3-#6 rotation.

There have?  Name one..... you're gonna have to go back awhile.

Here's a dude having a worse week than Greek..... Kicked out of the bubble.... next, kicked out of the house.

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

There have been at most 3 since 2000. And I'm just conceding 2 of them (06 heat and whatever year dallas won) because I can't remember who the #2 was. The third had LeBron and some would argue that Kyrie was better than Middleton. I wouldn't, because Kyrie is one of the most overrated players of the entire decade. But either way, there aren't many #2s worse than Middleton on championship teams. Obviously not any of the Spurs, Lakers, Celtics, Heatles teams.

And before 2000 you're talking hall of famers as the #2 on most teams. So if milwaukee won a title Middleton would probably be the 4th worst #2 ever.

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Kyrie Irving 2015-16 23 21 774 24.4 .574 .274 .208 2.3 7.1 4.7 23.5 2.5 1.6 9.4 30.4   2.6 0.8 3.4 .210   5.4 0.6 6.0 1.6
2 Khris Middleton 2019-20 28 10 355 13.5 .507 .361 .256 1.5 19.6 10.4 27.0 1.5 0.6 14.5 28.4   -0.1 0.5 0.3 .044   -0.4 0.4 0.0

That's Kyrie's ship run and Middleton's most recent playoff run.  He was a little better last year, but not much.  Kyrie's an idiot and extremely volatile but when his head is right, he's easily a better player.  Middleton is more of a 3rd or 4th guy on a championship team.  I give him credit, he picked up his game this year, but then wilted in the playoffs again.

I think one would have to go back to Dirk's championship run and that would be close w Tyson Chandler, who had a career year and defensively was an animal.  Maybe Duncan's 03' run when DRob was at the end and before Manu had really really exploded.  Shaq still had a little tread with Wade and it would be close with Middleton and frankly with his playoff experience, most would take Shaq.  Mourning was very good but more of a bench guy but per minute was still playing great.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

who was the Mavs #2 in 2011? Kidd, yeah? So you'd have to go back further than that. even then, i have a tough time coming up with with many/any no.2 guys on title winning teams who weren't better than KM. 

Now think about this and it’s even more difficult, who’s the worst #2 guy when the center was the #1. Because if you’re a center you basically need another HOF guy to win the title. KM is certainly not that

Rk Player Season Age G MP PER TS 3PAr FTr ORB% DRB% TRB% AST% STL% BLK% TOV% USG%   OWS DWS WS WS/48   OBPM DBPM BPM VORP
1 Kyrie Irving 2015-16 23 21 774 24.4 .574 .274 .208 2.3 7.1 4.7 23.5 2.5 1.6 9.4 30.4   2.6 0.8 3.4 .210   5.4 0.6 6.0 1.6
2 Khris Middleton 2019-20 28 10 355 13.5 .507 .361 .256 1.5 19.6 10.4 27.0 1.5 0.6 14.5 28.4   -0.1 0.5 0.3 .044   -0.4 0.4 0.0 0.2
That's Kyrie's ship run and Middleton's most recent playoff run.  He was a little better last year, but not much.  Kyrie's an idiot and extremely volatile but when his head is right, he's easily a better player.  Middleton is more of a 3rd or 4th guy on a championship team.  I give him credit, he picked up his game this year, but then wilted in the playoffs again.
I think one would have to go back to Dirk's championship run and that would be close w Tyson Chandler, who had a career year and defensively was an animal.  Maybe Duncan's 03' run when DRob was at the end and before Manu had really really exploded.  Shaq still had a little tread with Wade and it would be close with Middleton and frankly with his playoff experience, most would take Shaq.  Mourning was very good but more of a bench guy but per minute was still playing great.
Damn, good call on the 03 Spurs. That was a Tim Duncan and a random #2 every game year. Like one night D Rob would dominate, the next Stephen Jackson went for 25.
Tyson Chandler was a beast on that Mavs team. IMO one of the more underrated players of his time.

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

who was the Mavs #2 in 2011? Kidd, yeah? So you'd have to go back further than that. even then, i have a tough time coming up with with many/any no.2 guys on title winning teams who weren't better than KM. 

Kidd /Marion/Chandler/Terry were something resembling 4-way co-#2s on that team.  It was a unique team.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s fun watching the clippers implode, but I doubt it portends anything important for this series. 

Yep to both points above. They seem to be one of those teams that plays up or down to their opponent. If they got by the Lakers, it could cause them some problems against Miami (if it's Miami). Miami can sneak up on you. 

I know it's kinda bullshit that we're going to get two fabricated LA superteams, but as a basketball fan, it's going to be a great series. So many interesting matchups and questions.

Too bad they can't both lose.

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

How is Kevin Harlan not calling this game?

I just witnessed my first 2 point field goal from Fred van vleet

LOL yeah. His shot chart is pretty crazy. https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/fred-vanvleet-shot-chart-2020

But that outside shooting... damn. And he's a good perimeter defender. Really good player, even if he's basically a 3 and D on steroids. Milwaukee should do whatever it takes to get him there in FA this year.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Celtics 72.... Raptor 71.   end of 3rd qtr

Thought Brad Stevens was a better coach than this??  Celtics not getting to the foul line enough for a Game 7 may come back to bite them.

Toronto Coach Nurse has his experienced playoff squad set up to win the 4th quarter...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't know... Miami seems like a gambler who's been on a heater and was forced to leave the table.  Next game is Tuesday...

I've been wondering this myself. Did they just get hot and run through a trash Indiana team and a very flawed Bucks team whom they match up perfectly with, or are they legit?

Tough to say. I think legit, but I wouldn't put my own money on it.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Shot selection.

As good of a player as Van Vleet is, he is not a guy you want to be your primary option down 3 with 30 seconds left. I'm not sure if that was what Nurse wanted, but if so, that's pretty bad.

Lowry fouling out limited options for Raptors, but Raptors probably should have run something with more movement than VanVleet one-on-one... 

• Hook 'Em 3