What If I Were To Tell You That You Had to Push a Button and Re-live 15 Seasons of Texas Football Forever

Surly Bevo

15 Seasons  

41 members have voted

1. 1. 15 Seasons

• 1990-2004 Seasons
    • 2005-2019 Seasons

Option 1 is to re-live the 1990-2004 Season

Option 2 is to re-live the 2005-2019 Season (yes I realize the 2019 season hasn't happened yet, so your optimism or lack of it could be a factor)

Which 15 season stretch do you pick?  Note....that which you pick is what you live, forever.

Edited by Surly Bevo

Well yea if you pick the worst of one stretch and the best of the other you can make it an easy argument.  I mean I could also easily say more conference titles, a couple Cotton Bowls and Rose Bowl Win, a Heisman Trophy season vs losing to Kansas and constantly getting face fucked by the likes of TCU and for a while there....Baylor

Edited by Surly Bevo

14 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

The one that includes 2005. I would be guaranteed an undefeated season and national championship once every 15 years.

True, but National Championships, while great, also seem a bigger deal now because of how the Mouse spins the season toward them and makes everything about them.  Don't get me wrong ours was fucking awesome but taken in total was that 15 year period really more fun overall?  

Miami sucked, but did the whole 1990 season suck?  Not to me.  

1996, we were not really all that good, but doing what we did to Nebraska?  That was fucking awesome

I guess I don't see it as clear cut as most.  

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

Option 1 is to re-live the 1990-2004 Season

Option 2 is to re-live the 2005-2019 Season (yes I realize the 2019 season hasn't happened yet, so your optimism or lack of it could be a factor)

Which 15 season stretch do you pick?  Note....that which you pick is what you live, forever.

Your mom and I both pick the second option ('05-'19). We first met in '05.❤️

• Like 2

Have the last 15 seasons really been all that fun to live through?   Again 2005, great.  2008 was also a lot of fun.  Other than that...meh.  2009 really wasn't fun because of the expectations.  Last year for how it ended had multiple shitty losses, including MD again.  

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

True, but National Championships, while great, also seem a bigger deal now because of how the Mouse spins the season toward them and makes everything about them.  Don't get me wrong ours was fucking awesome but taken in total was that 15 year period really more fun overall?  

1996, we were not really all that good, but doing what we did to Nebraska?  That was fucking awesome

You're accusing... ESPN... of making national fucking championships "seem a bigger deal now"?

What? 

Bro there's a reason why people can name most of the key contributors from the 1969 season and can't do the same about 1973. 

ESPN?? foh

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

You're accusing... ESPN... of making national fucking championships "seem a bigger deal now"?

What? 

Bro there's a reason why people can name most of the key contributors from the 1969 season and can't do the same about 1973. 

ESPN?? foh

Not what I meant.  It's a bigger deal now because the definition of a successful season has become much more focused/defined on winning it.  Sure when you win, it's a big deal but back in the 70s or even any time pre BCS it wasn't the ongoing thing it is now. 

It was win your conference, win your bowl...see how it works out.  Now we got weekly rankings reveal shows and Paw taking calls daily.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 hours ago, Spoetzl said:

For purposes of this, 2005-2019.  But if there was a third option of 1957-1971, I’d take that one.

I'm right there with you on the 57 to 71 stretch.  Graduated in 71 and I know prior to my 4 years on campus, there were some pretty amazing seasons, including 1958 win over ou with a 2 point conversion, the great 61-63 seasons and 68 thru 70 seasons.  3 national titles. Also, the 69 Texas - Arkansas game.  I could easily relive that stretch.

• Like 2

How is this really a question? 2005-2009 was easily the best stretch. 2 national championship appearances. 2008 should have been but got a BCS win there. 2006 we had a legit shot at another appearance not for the McCoy injury (I think it was him?). I'll take that over the previous any day of the week. Especially since we at least won one of the national championships.

• Like 1

Pretty obvious for me, I'm a man and I'm 30. I graduated 2010 so it's really obvious what era I would want to relive. I didn't really live the previous era. I couldn't tell you much other than James Brown was a badass. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

You can say whatever you want. But the feeling I got in my body, mind, and soul watching Vince cross the goal line after the legendary Keith Jackson uttered "4th and 5, the National Championship is on the line right here." It was the pinnacle for me as a sports fan that nothing will top. 

You can say whatever you want. But the feeling I got in my body, mind, and soul watching Vince cross the goal line after the legendary Keith Jackson uttered "4th and 5, the National Championship is on the line right here." It was the pinnacle for me as a sports fan that nothing will top. 

I know. I was there. It was the pinnacle it was amazing and yes I as a sports fan know that at age 30 I peaked out.
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

Yep anything that includes that moment is #1 for me

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I think this would be a more interesting question if you stripped out the national championship season and compared 1990-2004 to 2006-2019.

Agreed, that is a much more difficult decision. I'd probably still go 2006-2019, I just really didn't like Mackovic at all. But missing Ricky's 98 season would suck. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

I think this would be a more interesting question if you stripped out the national championship season and compared 1990-2004 to 2006-2019.

I'll take 2006-2019. Still another national championship appearance there. 2008 was fun as hell, especially the OU game with Shipley's kickoff return TD.

• Like 1