Trump's Trade War

F250

1065401_1_nato_standard.jpg?alias=standa

Trump says he is making up for the mistakes of past US presidents who gave away too much in both trade talks and in forming alliances during the cold war and afterward. Instead of seeing the US as a superpower making generous concessions for the sake of global order, Trump has in effect asked the US to be treated as an equal. Or as Gary Cohn, Trump’s former National Economic Council director, put it: “You treat us the way we treat you, or we’ll treat you the way you treat us.”

In all this, Trump has asked Americans to be patient while he plays tough with demands and tariffs in order to somehow achieve a greater good. “There may be a little pain for a little while, but ultimately for my farmers ... you’re going to do much better,” he told supporters in Michigan last April.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2018/0712/Trump-s-demand-for-reciprocity-with-allies

You reap what you sow....

In South Dakota, patience wears thin as tariffs hit home

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/13/south-dakota-trump-tariffs-hit-home/780376002/

South Dakota farmers and ranchers this week weathered the first round of tariffs and talk of an imminent trade war. 

It's a hit they'd hoped to avoid for months and one they've been paying for for weeks as uncertainty loomed large over the market, dragging down the price of key crops. 

The tariff talks have already cost South Dakota farmers and ranchers hundreds of millions of dollars, experts said, as the value of their crops has dipped amid international concern about new tariffs. 

It's a loss that many can't sustain and one that elected officials and others worried could tank the state's economy. 

A) Haha.  Fuck them. 

B) This is exactly what I said was the reason they're not turning on Trump: 

"In the meantime, VanderWal said he encouraged South Dakota farmers and ranchers to reach out to their congressional delegates. Criticizing the president's tactics wouldn't yield a positive outcome, he said.

'It doesn’t do any good to take shots at the president; he doesn’t respond favorably to that,' VanderWal said."

But if Trump doesn't come through for them, I think they'll turn on him fast. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

"Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has promised that Trump will restore farmer profitability but he hasn't specified how and some economists are skeptical that the administration can come up with the billions of dollars necessary to cover losses.

"If this continues and the USDA does not discover a way to helicopter in and drop buckets of cash into the corn belt this fall, then I would not be surprised if there are tractor parades going to DC at some point in the next year," said Scott Irwin, University of Illinois agricultural economist."

https://qctimes.com/business/us-trade-immigration-and-biofuel-policies-hit-farmers-hard/article_17947ddd-5900-59a5-9df3-0be868c4aa58.amp.html

1 hour ago, F250 said:

"Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue has promised that Trump will restore farmer profitability but he hasn't specified how and some economists are skeptical that the administration can come up with the billions of dollars necessary to cover losses.

"If this continues and the USDA does not discover a way to helicopter in and drop buckets of cash into the corn belt this fall, then I would not be surprised if there are tractor parades going to DC at some point in the next year," said Scott Irwin, University of Illinois agricultural economist."

https://qctimes.com/business/us-trade-immigration-and-biofuel-policies-hit-farmers-hard/article_17947ddd-5900-59a5-9df3-0be868c4aa58.amp.html

Well there you go.  We'd have the pallets of cash to solve this crisis if only Obama hadn't given them to Iran! 

4 hours ago, F250 said:

C7naduy_Ws_AE5h4_G.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Tractor parades?  Maybe in his honor.  They will never admit they were conned.

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They'll be protesting the evil Dems who probably wouldn't vote for all of the amazing bills that Republicans never bring to the floor. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't know. If people across the midwest start losing their farms and livelihood, I could see his support plummeting.

Its easy to remain loyal when it doesn't cost you anything, it's much more difficult when it costs your family a pound of flesh.

5 minutes ago, F250 said:

I don't know. If people across the midwest start losing their farms and livelihood, I could see his support plummeting.

Its easy to remain loyal when it doesn't cost you anything, it's much more difficult when it costs your family a pound of flesh.

And some of those states (Oklahoma for instance) were blue within the last 15-20 years.

Plenty of those people have dreams of passing the family farm down or farming for decades more.  They don’t have a rich daddy bailing them out, and this is not because they made poor decisions either.  This trade war is not some relic of Obama - Trump is out there openly bragging about going hard in the paint on these countries. 

@Bozo_Casanova has posted things like this many times, but it bears repeating. This is what will eventually get people off their asses and motivated at some point. There is no way we can continue to see a continuing trend of crazy wealth disparity and think there will be no repercussions.

29 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

Corn, Soybean, rice and wheat farmers receive billions in subsidies every year.  I imagine the farmers will be assisted in some way to compensate for any price fluctuations like they always have

What is interesting is that the Trump administration is interfering so much in the market place that the law of unintended consequences is playing out in real time.

For instance, the EPA began issuing ethanol exemptions for some refineries which is already creating winners and losers in that industry. Unsurprisingly, there seems to be evidence of rent-seeking behavior driving the exemptions. What does seem to be an unintended consequence is that the ethanol requirements were essentially a subsidy for the corn industry but that subsidy is being wiped out due to the EPA exemptions.

By granting exemptions to the highest bidders through rent-seeking,  the EPA is putting a strain on the biofuel industry sector and the corn industry and this isn't even tarrif related. That's two industries plus their associated complimentary industries impacted by the EPA. When you throw in the tarrifs, things get a lot more complicated.

Tarrifs are all about the government picking winners and losers. With as much tinkering going on in the market across multiple industries the law of unintended consequences will see to it that there most certainly be losers.

I would like to take this time to remind everyone about the recent tax cuts and ballooning deficit. Yeah, I'm sure the government will throw in some money for the midwest to keep some of the voters happy. Trump's running the U.S. economy like it's one of his businesses.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mapache said:

You reap what you sow....

In South Dakota, patience wears thin as tariffs hit home

https://www.argusleader.com/story/news/politics/2018/07/13/south-dakota-trump-tariffs-hit-home/780376002/

South Dakota farmers and ranchers this week weathered the first round of tariffs and talk of an imminent trade war. 

It's a hit they'd hoped to avoid for months and one they've been paying for for weeks as uncertainty loomed large over the market, dragging down the price of key crops. 

The tariff talks have already cost South Dakota farmers and ranchers hundreds of millions of dollars, experts said, as the value of their crops has dipped amid international concern about new tariffs. 

It's a loss that many can't sustain and one that elected officials and others worried could tank the state's economy. 

Womp womp

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ScottishHorn said:

Corn, Soybean, rice and wheat farmers receive billions in subsidies every year.  I imagine the farmers will be assisted in some way to compensate for any price fluctuations like they always have

There is a stark difference between what you imagine and reality.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-next-american-farm-bust-is-upon-us-1486572488?mod=djmc_pkt_ff

10 hours ago, F250 said:

What is interesting is that the Trump administration is interfering so much in the market place that the law of unintended consequences is playing out in real time.

For instance, the EPA began issuing ethanol exemptions for some refineries which is already creating winners and losers in that industry. Unsurprisingly, there seems to be evidence of rent-seeking behavior driving the exemptions. What does seem to be an unintended consequence is that the ethanol requirements were essentially a subsidy for the corn industry but that subsidy is being wiped out due to the EPA exemptions.

By granting exemptions to the highest bidders through rent-seeking,  the EPA is putting a strain on the biofuel industry sector and the corn industry and this isn't even tarrif related. That's two industries plus their associated complimentary industries impacted by the EPA. When you throw in the tarrifs, things get a lot more complicated.

Tarrifs are all about the government picking winners and losers. With as much tinkering going on in the market across multiple industries the law of unintended consequences will see to it that there most certainly be losers.

I would like to take this time to remind everyone about the recent tax cuts and ballooning deficit. Yeah, I'm sure the government will throw in some money for the midwest to keep some of the voters happy. Trump's running the U.S. economy like it's one of his businesses.

The deficit is expanding because of spending, not the tax cuts.  Tax revenue keeps breaking records every quarter.  You could argue the tax cuts are the one positive of the trump administration.  Corporate earnings are up 20%. This factor hasn't even hit the markets yet and wont until later this year.  We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

• Fuck You 2

9 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

The deficit is expanding because of spending, not the tax cuts.  Tax revenue keeps breaking records every quarter.  You could argue the tax cuts are the one positive of the trump administration.  Corporate earnings are up 20%. This factor hasn't even hit the markets yet and wont until later this year.  We have a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

This board isn’t dumb enough to listen to your blather. Take it to texags where someone might listen to your bullshit. And cut the “we” crap. 

3 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

The deficit is directly tied to both taxes AND spending. If you decrease taxes you must decrease spending, this is the part that Republicans tend to forget while they sing of supply side economics and simultaneously practice Keynesian strategies.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

This is a straight up fucking lie.  There were record breaking revenue in April, based mainly on the 2017 tax law and economy, because that's when the final accounting on 2017 is performed.  January also had higher revenue in 2018, I suspect for similar reasons. Every other month this year has had lower tax revenue.  Yet the Republicans are pushing this lie hard.  Any reasonable analysis is showing lower revenue for 2018.   

reality

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ScottishHorn said:

20 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

Amazingly, in two posts you throw out deficit spending as a potential means to help farmers, then complain about the deficit expanding due to a spending problem.

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, ScottishHorn said:

The deficit is expanding because of spending, not the tax cuts.  

Good God.  It's BOTH.  How many times do you have to be beat over the head with the stick of economic reality before you understand? Reagan had to sign the biggest tax increase in history because decreasing taxes + increasing spending = enormous deficits.  Which is why our debt nearly tripled in the time Reagan was president. Bush II did the same thing and our debt doubled during his 8 years. 

Give your logic, we should reduce taxes to zero. That would REALLY generate revenue.

3 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Amazingly, in two posts you throw out deficit spending as a potential means to help farmers, then complain about the deficit expanding due to a spending problem.

I'm not for farm subsidies.  I was just pointing out they were out there and they may receive them to offset pricing issues.  I'm for cutting all spending

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Good God.  It's BOTH.  How many times do you have to be beat over the head with the stick of economic reality before you understand? Reagan had to sign the biggest tax increase in history because decreasing taxes + increasing spending = enormous deficits.  Which is why our debt nearly tripled in the time Reagan was president. Bush II did the same thing and our debt doubled during his 8 years. 

Give your logic, we should reduce taxes to zero. That would REALLY generate revenue.

People like you.  Republican and Democrats alike, are against cutting spending.  There is plenty of tax revenue to support our nation.  I'm taxed at 45% if you throw in all my tax liability.  Is that not enough for you?

9 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Of course he did, his military spending was off the charts

10 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

That's not what I'm saying at all.  Why dont you read some if the financial reports for the 2nd quarter from some S&P 500 companies and you might see what im talking about

21 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

It doubled again during Obama's 8 years