Trump's Trade War

F250

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

every time he lays out one of these ridiculous protectionist tweets, i am always reminded of this clip...which does a great job of reflecting the essence of this dipshit.

12 hours ago, F250 said:

49717afabcdcee7482fea075d9539dd7.jpg

You greatly overestimate the population based on who you typically interact with. If America was full of brilliant people, that dumb motherfucker wouldn't be president.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sidis said:

every time he lays out one of these ridiculous protectionist tweets, i am always reminded of this clip...which does a great job of reflecting the essence of this dipshit.

Chances that any of the fucking morons that support this Dotard have watched this video?  GR is more worried about Time magazine covers.  Sad!

U.S. pig farmers are bracing for another round of steep tariffs this week from China and Mexico following President Trump's decision to impose hefty tariffs on the two countries.

According to CNBC, some major U.S. pork producers fear they will lose a significant amount of money once China and Mexico implement the tariffs, forcing some to move their investments overseas.

China is expected to begin fetching a 25 percent tariff on U.S. pork imports on Friday. Mexico, which imposed a 10 percent tariff on pork imports last month, is expected to double its import tax to 20 percent on Thursday. CNBC reported that China's taxes will exceed 70 percent when combined with previous import taxes.

"We put a halt on all investment, not just because we will be losing money, but because we don't know if growing in the U.S. is the right move if we won't be an exporting country," Ken Maschhoff, chairman of Maschhoff Family Foods and co-owner of the nation's biggest family-owned pork producer told CNBC.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-offer-for-zero-solution-to-car-tariffs-drives-eu-auto-makers-higher-2018-07-05

Now the gambit from the threat:

Shares of European car makers climbed Wednesday on the prospect of a softening stance on auto-industry tariffs by the U.S. if the European Union makes a concession. A U.S. official said the U.S. would be prepared to stop threatening to impose stiff tariffs on cars imported from the EU if the bloc eliminates duties on U.S. cars, according to a report by German newspaper Handelsblatt, citing unnamed sources. Prospects for a so-called "zero solution" lifted the Stoxx Europe 600 Autos and Parts Index SXAP, +3.07% up by 3.1%. In Frankfurt trade, shares of BMW AG BMW, +2.01% leapt 4.2%, Volkswagen AG VOW3, +2.88% gained 2.8% and Daimler AG DAI, +2.29% added 3.3%. In Paris, Peugeot SA UG, +3.15% rose 2.6% and Renault AG RNO, +2.67% picked up 1.8%. In Milan, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV sharesFCA, +5.32% revved up 4.1%.

Hmm, seems like Trump didn't want tariffs.  Only wanted our allies to not have unfair trading against our goods that were already in place.  Zero solution, will the EU go for it?  Will China?  Will Canada? Etc, Etc.

Edited by zork

I saw this today and thought it’s an interesting breakdown.  It probably fits here best.  I’m sure people here will disagree with the assessment, but one fact is indisputable.  The markets believe that China and the rest of Asia will fare far worse than we will in any trade war.  They are much more vulnerable.  Now, whether it’s worth the damage that could be inflicted to us is another question.

Maybe this is why Xi is targeting Trump voters like I said in the other thread?  The threat of tariffs is effective, Xi is scared of their impact (the Shanghai market is down 20% this year!), and he would like someone more friendly to Chinese interests to be President.   You can admit that and also not be a Trump supporter   

The head of the largest pork producer in the US was on CNBC today and said that the tariffs will cost his company 100 million a year. Much bigger deal than the Harley story. Basically said that it will flood the US with cheap pork in the short term, producers can’t make money so they cut way back on production, prices go up for American consumers and the business make less money, massive layoffs happen. But hey, we got a few more steel guys in Pennsylvania so it’s all worth it, right dotard?

5 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

The head of the largest pork producer in the US was on CNBC today and said that the tariffs will cost his company 100 million a year. Much bigger deal than the Harley story. Basically said that it will flood the US with cheap pork in the short term, producers can’t make money so they cut way back on production, prices go up for American consumers and the business make less money, massive layoffs happen. But hey, we got a few more steel guys in Pennsylvania so it’s all worth it, right dotard?

I'm looking forward to the cheaper prices we'll see as a result of these tariffs.  And the job growth.  Plus we should have a lot of allies on board with us, right?

It is possible that the other countries realize that the US has a madman in office who takes everything personally and could ruin the worlds economy in pursuit of tariff victory.  They may capitulate first.  And if it costs us a few MAGA industries to do it, I can live with that.

I'm in agreement that neither Trump, not any of his advisors know anything she's taking about. 

Especially since those conditions would be near impossible to foresee. You could only make those determinations she made after. 

I hate to think that investment would drive the replacement of GDP, especially foreign investment. I don't think investors place any faith in the dartboard policies of Trump, and would believe that he's going to see it through.

But whatever. It's a post-mortem analysis that would probably prompt Trump to take credit for the move, even if all of those factors didn't exist before the trade war.

8 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Smithfield Foods?  Owned by the Chinese.

10 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Had to go find an article on it. It’s the largest family owned pork producer, not the largest overall.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2018/07/04/us-pork-producers-brace-for-new-pork-tariffs-from-china-mexico.html

It's pretty apparent that these countries will go after, by and large, Trump supporters from a political base standpoint since items exported by red states are the ones being targeted," said Maschhoff, a past president of the National Pork Producers Council and a fifth-generation hog producer.

According to Maschhoff, the tariff will result in a hit of $100 million for his Illinois-based family farm operation, which markets about 5.5 million hogs a year and operates in 10 states.

"That's one farm company, and not the whole industry," said Maschhoff. "It's really tough and we had anticipated a decent 2018-19. This is only the second time we've had red ink 37 years in the business."

In 2017, the average value of a hog was $147 — and of that amount almost $54 of the total value was driven by exports, according to Monroe. He said about 550,000 jobs are tied to the pork sector and 110,000 of them are directly tied to exports.

12 hours ago, zork said:

Seems like the pre-existing trade wasn't so free  for either side.  All to zero, right?

27-EU-import-tariffs-01.png

Of course, another way to say that is that US duties can actually be higher than European import tariffs. And none of that is accounting for subsidies.  I'd be all for a free trade agreement with Europe. But I thought Trump was against free trade (e.g., NAFTA)? The whole thing is perplexing as the only real end game appears to be "balanced trade," which is incredibly stupid. 

Retaliatory tariffs aimed at his base in red states is a smart move by other countries.  Hitting his supporters in the pocketbooks is the only thing left to try since they have no use for facts.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

markets have withstood drastically falling bc it has been believed no one would actually allow the US to enter a trade war. Welp that shit is going out the window bc we really are driving this car off the cliff. Hold on to your butts. “Trade wars can be good and are easy to win” is going on Trump’s political tombstone. 

Good friend’s family, Pope’s, sold Smithfield to a Chinese group, WH, few years ago.  Worlds largest pork producer.  Deal involved a lot of stock/options.  His net worth wobbled about 9 figures.  He already hated Trump but he’s on full tilt right about now. 

/CSB

• Like 1

Top pork producing states. Suck it trump country.

1. Iowa - $4.2 billion
  2. Illinois - $1.54 billion
  3. Minnesota - $1.47 billion
  4. North Carolina - $1.46 billion
  5. Indiana - $1.04 billion
  6. Oklahoma - $952.7 million
  7. Missouri - $791 million
  8. Nebraska - $657.5 million
  9. Wisconsin - $605.2 million
  10. Ohio - $542.7 million

1 hour ago, Pig Bellmont said:

markets have withstood drastically falling bc it has been believed no one would actually allow the US to enter a trade war. Welp that shit is going out the window bc we really are driving this car off the cliff. Hold on to your butts. “Trade wars can be good and are easy to win” is going on Trump’s political tombstone. 

Fox News and the cult of Trump will blame MS-13 and Hillary for the failing economy.  Nothing matters.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

Yes. Chris Pope’s old man was CEO when they sold.  Chris had a cush gig pulling half million too.  The real key was all the stock and options they walked away with.  And those are taking a beating in various forms. Smithfield has done a big roll up with LBO’s etc so it involved a shitload of different companies.  They divested beef but still were tied to that market through investments.  It’s been a beating.  

4 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So why have they fallen hard only on the Asian side?

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Don't forget Obama. Somehow Trump fucking up the strong economy he was gifted will be Barry's fault.

He will blame the Democrats that are hoping the next recession starts before the 2020 election.

13 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I hope all the billionaires who are now just mega-millionaires are able to find relief somehow. :(:(

It’s not about them, it’s about the American economy losing hundreds of billions of dollars due to the mad mad in charge. I get that you don’t give a shit if it hurts the rich, but the problems won’t stop there. People that can least afford to lose jobs will be out of work. Anybody will a retirement account will also be hurt.

11 minutes ago, RayDog said:

He will blame the Democrats that are hoping the next recession starts before the 2020 election.

One of these days middle class Republicans are going to realize that helping the rich get richer does nothing for the economy.

But for that to happen I guess they would have to understand something about economics.

44 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

So why have they fallen hard only on the Asian side?

Do you think the current market effects are going to be the extent of the repercussions felt in the US? Does it matter which country sees more drastic results? Are you aware new Chinese tarriffs went into effect at 12:01 this morning? Do you think there will be more or less actions by foreign states to counter current US trade practices?

stop being lazy. Even die hard trump supporters realize this will hurt

32 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

One of these days middle class Republicans are going to realize that helping the rich get richer does nothing for the economy.

They're well aware of that. Helping the rich get richer (and making the poor poorer) is the goal for them, not the means to some other end.

55 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I hope all the billionaires who are now just mega-millionaires are able to find relief somehow. :(:(

I know you’re joking bc we know the ultra wealthy always end up ok.  It’s JimBob and JudyAnn that buttfucked themselves, sans lube, to stick it to the colored folk.  But I can’t help but to laugh at them...