The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

3 hours ago, Deej said:

I can deal with a cheap Tele. I'm wary of a $170 Les Paul. 

Well, the least expensive ones were $200 to your door. ($199.96)

The most expensive ones were $220 to your door. ($219.96)

You wouldn't have had to deal with a $170 Les Paul.

Also, these come from a cargo container in the Port of Los Angeles to a warehouse in Cerritos, CA and then from there to your door. These all sold out in about 7 to 8 hours and that money will them be used to pay for more guitars to be made and shipped in. These guitars are probably ~$300 Les Pauls if they were to ever make it to a store. Maybe $350, which is about what they resell for on eBay.

Perhaps next time the inexpensive ones will be listed at $199.96 so that with shipping, you will pay $220 and feel more comfortable about it. 🤠

I think the thing I love the most about that Prince solo is that he works outside of his usual style.  If you watch him playing in his natural habitat, he has more of a funk vibe, more percussive, flashier.  But on the "Weeps" tribute, he goes full on classic rock blues man, save perhaps the double stops just to show his ear is fucking nails.  He's hardly even trying.  Everything is spot on pitch, everything is effortless.  I wholly reject the idea that Prince was just a "capable" rock guitarist.  The dude was a fucking massive talent.  Maybe his chops weren't quite Jimi/SRV/Clapton level (although I'd dispute the latter), but his taste and the breadth of his vocabulary absolutely were world class.

• Like 3

I think the thing I love the most about that Prince solo is that he works outside of his usual style.  If you watch him playing in his natural habitat, he has more of a funk vibe, more percussive, flashier.  But on the "Weeps" tribute, he goes full on classic rock blues man, save perhaps the double stops just to show his ear is fucking nails.  He's hardly even trying.  Everything is spot on pitch, everything is effortless.  I wholly reject the idea that Prince was just a "capable" rock guitarist.  The dude was a fucking massive talent.  Maybe his chops weren't quite Jimi/SRV/Clapton level (although I'd dispute the latter), but his taste and the breadth of his vocabulary absolutely were world class.

Couldn’t agree more. And in terms of “how hard was that”: it’s all in the feel. He really didn’t stray out of the minor blues scale but knowing just how much to bend, or not, and when to pull out what tricks, not to mention the flair...

All Prince

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

RE: FIREFLY LPs

Dragged my feet and they all sold out. Furk.

NOT SO FAST!!!  This was posted between 9pm & 10pm on Sunday night (tonight).

MORE Firefly LPs coming Monday Morning!!

Screen-Shot-2020-06-07-at-11-50-16-PM.pn

They were supposed to have "ALL OF THE COLORS", but did not have:

Gold Top
Orange Top w/o pick guard 

Maybe these will be included in Monday morning's shipment, but I think that there will be a few different colors, if not several.

Re: Pelham Blue Top

The necks on these were handcrafted and the craftsman has been sick, or something, so there won't be any this go-round.

Edited by Napoleon

3 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Got the last Sunburst

FFLP-Sunburst-full.jpgFFLP-Sunburst-close-up.jpg

Very nice choice.

I was hoping that the Orange w/o pick guard would appear this morning, but apparently not.

From everything that I've read over the last couple of months, everyone loves their purchases and the consensus is that the FF Les Paul is the best guitar that Firefly produces. And every single photo that people put up of the FFLPs (after the last batch sold in late March) looked miles better than the photos on the website.

I have been tweaking my PRS SE single-cut that I broke out of mothballs last week. I've got the action really nice now after adjusting the neck, and then the bridge height, angle and tilt. It's the basic wrap-around hard tail. It had been fretting a bit sharp, especially up the neck, but it is almost perfect now. Only the d-string frets slightly sharp, the rest are right in the zone, pretty close to spot on fretting just about anywhere.

So I'm wondering if any intonation gurus have any other suggestions on getting that d-string dialed in with what I have.I know there is some weirdness on pretty much all guitars somewhere on the neck. It doesn't concern me that much because it plays really well now and I'm not Eric Johnson or anything. But I would try to get it as perfectly dialed in as I can if there's something else without a modified nut or a fancier bridge with separate adjustments for each string or major mods that I would probably screw up.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

I got the itch. Do I buy new or used? I’ve only bought one guitar used and that’s my tele. It’s in good shape no issues 

I’ve come around to buying almost exclusively used gear. You can find some killer deals on very lightly used guitars and amps.  

I bought 2 of my top 3 electrics and my #1 acoustic used. All were about half the price of a new model and all had virtually zero evidence of use. One of the electrics still had the plastic wrap cover on the pick guard. It’s amazing how many people buy a brand new high-end guitar, realize shortly after the 30 day return period that they never play and can’t afford a six-string paperweight, and then sell it back to Guitar Center for a fraction of what they paid.  

• Like 4

I’ve come around to buying almost exclusively used gear. You can find some killer deals on very lightly used guitars and amps.  

I bought 2 of my top 3 electrics and my #1 acoustic used. All were about half the price of a new model and all had virtually zero evidence of use. One of the electrics still had the plastic wrap cover on the pick guard. It’s amazing how many people buy a brand new high-end guitar, realize shortly after the 30 day return period that they never play and can’t afford a six-string paperweight, and then sell it back to Guitar Center for a fraction of what they paid.  

This.

I've bought used, and I've bought new.  The things I bought used were things you can really hit a home run on used (old Fender amps, slightly used boutique tweed amps).  I bought a used Telecaster in the late 90s that still is my #1, even with two new AV telecasters (52 and 64), both of which are great guitars.  Bought a 1970 ES335 used in 1996.  That was a good call.  Have some other used guitars and a PRS HBII 10 top I bought new in 1999.  Lots of used and new pedals.  Really just depends what's available when I start looking since I'm not tremendously patient.

• Like 2

New or used depends. If you have a specific model and color/features that you really want, buy new. If you want something else to play, find something you like knowing what blemishes or road rash already come with it. I kinda like buying a guitar that's already "broken in," maybe has a slight ding or two, shine worn to no-longer-new condition but still a real nice looking axe. You don't worry as much about getting yoru first ding on a guitar like that, as opposed to a brand spanking new one.

But mostly it comes down to the deal. I try to get a great value new or used.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah I don’t know why the delay. Some people in the FB group reported the same, and some got them right away.

I got a Black 2pup because I was thinking about switching components with a 338 to pimp out the 338, but now I’m thinking about selling the LP and 2 or 3 of the FF338s that I have yet to touch. 

Got blackie in on Thursday. (Dallas) ordered Sunday afternoon. 

It has the standard fit and finish and setup issues. The pick guard did me the favor of almost falling off so I finished the job (not a fan of LP pick guards):

85957f0d1921ba0e206af44b610333f9.jpg

It’s got some fret buzz and intonation issues so I’m going to order a few tools from Stewmac and start learning how to set these things up. I got a new bridge fo the P90 too. I’d be embarrassed to take a $180 guitar to a luthier. Might sand the back of the neck too, it’s pretty sticky.

But I think this is gonna be a fun one. Like the others it sounds pretty good.

• Like 4

I visited a pawn shop this past weekend, one that had some pretty decent guitars before. It was just about cleaned out. The pawn shop people said stuff is flying out the door and it's the same with all the pawn shops around. Weird, I would have thought it would be prime pickin' time with people short on cash, a buyer's market. I guess poors are spending the stimulus money on guitars.

Gentlemen, for your consideration, the most tasteless guitar I've ever seen.  You can tell from the detailed description that the designer wasn't going for ironically ugly.  This person was sincere, and his crime against humanity can be yours for $3599 plus shipping:

Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-11-02-03-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-11-02-16-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-11-01-32-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-11-03-06-PM.pn

Screen-Shot-2020-06-17-at-11-02-46-PM.pn

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That looks like Prince fucked Santana and they didn't quite make it to the abortion clinic.  Yikes.

I think that Prince would have been on the receiving end.

5 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

maybe....

2017.arts-in-the-city.com/wp-content/uploads/20...

Picasso laying dicks on women’s faces and calling it “art” is so Picasso.