Interstellar BBQ (NW Austin)

Longhornmaniac8

Anyone been? Just finishing up here. Slams and goes really hard. Definitely belongs in the upper echelon of Austin BBQ places.

It's owned by the same people that own Noble Sandwich Co, and is in the same location at 620 and Lake Creek as the original Noble Pig.

The moist brisket is fantastic, as is the turkey (brined in a hefeweizen brine) and the jalapeño popper sausage (and I'm not normally a sausage guy).

They're open Wed-Sunday, and as of 1:45 today (Sunday), I think I heard them say they're on their last brisket. No line. be1a53278bfdda1fe88108a32a5de13d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Anyone been? Just finishing up here. Slams and goes really hard. Definitely belongs in the upper echelon of Austin BBQ places.

It's owned by the same people that own Noble Sandwich Co, and is in the same location at 620 and Lake Creek as the original Noble Pig.

The moist brisket is fantastic, as is the turkey (brined in a hefeweizen brine) and the jalapeño popper sausage (and I'm not normally a sausage guy).

They're open Wed-Sunday, and as of 1:45 today (Sunday), I think I heard them say they're on their last brisket. No line. be1a53278bfdda1fe88108a32a5de13d.jpg

Never heard of it, but it’s in my ‘hood. Thanks for the PSA

11 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

The internet is a better place having you policing it. Thanks.

Especially when it comes to mega-threads that people don't have the time, nor the patience, to read.

Fuck 'em.  I've never heard of the place, and appreciate the heads up.  Put me down in the "doesn't frequent the BBQ thread very often" camp, which apparently is a giant faux pas in the land of thousands and thousands of bullshit threads that never get called out.

• Like 1

I think it's reasonable that each place (not each trip) has a thread. The damn Texas BBQ thread has eleventy billion pages. There is a balance between the TexAgs model of posting a new thread with every "thought" you have and what some of y'all seem to want which is like 4 overall threads on the entire forum:  Eating, Fucking, Drinking, Footbawww. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

I think it's reasonable that each place (not each trip) has a thread. The damn Texas BBQ thread has eleventy billion pages. There is a balance between the TexAgs model of posting a new thread with every "thought" you have and what some of y'all seem to want which is like 4 overall threads on the entire forum:  Eating, Fucking, Drinking, Footbawww. 

75 different places between TM Top 50 and Top 25 new barbecue joints, not to mention the hundreds of other barbecue joints.  The Austin/Dallas/Houston naoch subforums have threads for barbecue.  You can search within the Texas BBQ thread for specific places.

Not reasonable for each place to have a specific thread.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Just to pick nits, the original Noble Pig location on 620 was a few blocks SW of there on 620, closer to Anderson Mill Rd.  It was cramped and tiny and they eventually moved out to this location, which is where Vevo used to be.  Then a few months back they changed from their sandwich concept to the new BBQ restaurant.

I think Interstellar is very good, and I've been several times now, but I still wish I had Noble Sandwiches nearby.  I miss it.

Just now, utee94 said:

Just to pick nits, the original Noble Pig location on 620 was a few blocks SW of there on 620, closer to Anderson Mill Rd.  It was cramped and tiny and they eventually moved out to this location, which is where Vevo used to be.  Then a few months back they changed from their sandwich concept to the new BBQ restaurant.

I think Interstellar is very good, and I've been several times now, but I still wish I had Noble Sandwiches nearby.  I miss it.

That's true. Both are right around the corner from my house. Honestly, it's a testament to Noble Pig that they survived that original location; it's just awful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

That's true. Both are right around the corner from my house. Honestly, it's a testament to Noble Pig that they survived that original location; it's just awful.

No doubt.  I always just called in my orders, parked over at the gas station, and picked up my food whilst skipping the wait in the tiny shop.  

Anyway, I agree that Interstellar is very good and I'm glad to have it in the area.  Now I just need to find another great sandwich shop up here...

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Us assholes will argue about everything. I am going to drive up 620 this week to partake on account of this thread.  

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

No we won't.

Yes!  And there you have it.

Should I point out that Longhornmaniac hasn't taken nearly as much shit for this thread, as Derka did for his standalone Black's thread?  

Or would that just be considered stirring the pot...? :)

24 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Why just BBQ places?  Why not every restaurant?

You know, the Chili's at 183/Burnet Road has been on my bucket list for quite some time.  I finally had the chance to go there over the weekend, so I'll definitely start a new thread about it.  

And the Chili's at Lakeline is also on my bucket list, but that visit probably needs a new thread all its own.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Everyone knows the Chili's at Lakeline sucks.

Maybe so, but I've always wanted to do the Lakeline Trifecta-- hit Chili's, Applebee's, and Fuddrucker's, all in one go.  

Obviously I'll start a new thread for each.

Us assholes will argue about everything. I am going to drive up 620 this week to partake on account of this thread.  

One of my favorite new places. Helps that my office is 2 miles away, but legit and worth driving for. Fair warning, they are closed Monday AND Tuesday.

I've been once. I got there kind of late on a Thursday (1:45ish) and they were out of moist brisket. I got lean brisket, the little bit of sausage they had left, and some pulled pork and their smoked mac & cheese. It was all excellent. I tried the free beans and thought they were pretty meh. Way more chili powder than I like. Tasted like someone opened a can of ranch style, then added more chili powder and garlic salt. Just overpowering. I've been meaning to go back earlier in the day to get some moist...might try to do that this week. 

8 hours ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I've been once. I got there kind of late on a Thursday (1:45ish) and they were out of moist brisket. I got lean brisket, the little bit of sausage they had left, and some pulled pork and their smoked mac & cheese. It was all excellent. I tried the free beans and thought they were pretty meh. Way more chili powder than I like. Tasted like someone opened a can of ranch style, then added more chili powder and garlic salt. Just overpowering. I've been meaning to go back earlier in the day to get some moist...might try to do that this week. 

Both the beans and one of their sauces had an overwhelming amount of cumin last time I went.  Not knocking the place, as I will happily go again.  Frito Pie sausage was surprisingly good.

On 7/30/2019 at 7:40 AM, utee94 said:

Yes!  And there you have it.

Should I point out that Longhornmaniac hasn't taken nearly as much shit for this thread, as Derka did for his standalone Black's thread?  

Or would that just be considered stirring the pot...? :)

Well, the first post of this thread is mainly a head's up and a brief review. Was it a necessary thread? Debatable.

On the other hand, Derka's thread title is "(I) Ate at Black's for the first time today?", again making the subject mainly about himself, and ends his post telling us about the rest of his day after Black's. Like anyone needs that.

Also, Longhornmaniac has yet to lose his composure on this thread after being called out.

Went yesterday with my buddy. Ordered a little bit of everything. 2 beef ribs, lean brisket (out of moist) 1 red pepper chicken, pulled pork, one link and jalapeno slaw. Two teas. $137 with tax and tip.

I'll echo the comment above about the beans. Tastes like ranch style with a shitload of cumin.

Brisket had good flavor but dry, but I also never eat lean brisket. Beef ribs had good spice and flavor, but probably could have used more time on the smoker. Pork was meh. Chicken was delicious. Sausage  serviceable but good. Slaw was awesome.

When I go back, I'll stick to beef rib and chicken and slaw.

I'd give it about 7.5 out of 10 and think they will get better with time.

IMG_20190803_132117177.thumb.jpg.44cb15a2a7d357eebe6c3d488117ffdb.jpg