Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

We've had two losing seasons in the last 10 years. That's a lot better than several franchises. A franchise with our history and resources should be doing a lot better but in the grand scheme we're doing better than other franchises. I can't think of a player we really wanted to keep but had to let go because of salary cap issues.

The only one recently was Demarcus Ware.  But that was more of a combo of him not wanting to take less money than Jerry not having the cap space to pay him fully.  

3 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We've had two losing seasons in the last 10 years. That's a lot better than several franchises. A franchise with our history and resources should be doing a lot better but in the grand scheme we're doing better than other franchises. I can't think of a player we really wanted to keep but had to let go because of salary cap issues.

Edit: I'm a late pussy. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

5 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

The only one recently was Demarcus Ware.  But that was more of a combo of him not wanting to take less money than Jerry not having the cap space to pay him fully.  

He was also aging and it made some sense to not pay a lot. Same with DeMarco (not aging but he slowed down significantly after he left).

3 hours ago, Mileslong said:

I’m glad Jerry played hardball with Zeke. Was there any doubt he would make Zeke the highest paid RB in the league? Why wait this long to do so, for optics?

This is my take as well. We knew Zeke would get paid and the difference they were squabbling over was probably minimal, knowing what the value would likely be. But Jerry gonna Jerry and made it look about as awkward is possible.

4 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

50 million guaranteed? Yikes

Our starting 5 OL is counting close to $48 mil against the cap next season.

Dak will count $32+
Zeke & Coop $30+
Tank & Jaylon $33

Even if cap goes to $200 mil in 2020, that leaves roughly $57 mil for 43 players.

Later Byron Jones

Not exactly.  If it was the NBA and these were fully guaranteed contracts with easy increased AAV to decipher maybe.  Example, this is an extension.  Next year, Zeke will be playing for about 10m + pro rated SB.  Jaylon will only be 7.7m against the cap in 2020.  Etc, etc.  But yes, they've paid an insane amount of guarantees (almost 200 million) in the last year between 5 guys and they still have to pay the QB and the WR, which are two of the most expensive positions.  And I agree that Jones will be a casualty if he has a good year.  Can't pay everybody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

If any of you believed this would end any other way, you were fooling yourselves.

Yep.  There's always hope Stephen is smarter than his old man, but not much evidence other than talking him out of Johnny Drugtest.  Once we spent a top 5 pick on him, if he played well, he was always going to get a 2nd contract

3 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

11-5, 10-5 with Cassel starting. Brady got hurt in the first quarter 

Easiest schedule in the AFC that year and missed the playoffs.  A lot of Bill's mystique is built around that season but if you look under the hood, it loses luster.  McDaniels did do a great job in dumbing down the offense for Matt.

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

So what's the breakdown. 

At it's base it's 6/50ish, right?

That doesn't seem too crazy to me.  Although more than I would've wanted to pay

What am I missing

Haven't seen yet but it's more than that.  He's almost certainly going to earn more than 50m even in the first 6 years.  If he's with us for 6 years, gonna wager he sees at least 75% of the top number.

3 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Easiest schedule in the AFC that year and missed the playoffs.  A lot of Bill's mystique is built around that season but if you look under the hood, it loses luster.  McDaniels did do a great job in dumbing down the offense for Matt.

I just pointed out the fact of what their record was. 11-5 is going to the playoffs most of the time. In fact they won the division with a 10-6 record in 2009.

I'm not even a Pats fan, but to try and paint Belichick as anything other than the best coach in NFL history is comical      

5 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

I just pointed out the fact of what their record was. 11-5 is going to the playoffs most of the time. In fact they won the division with a 10-6 record in 2009.

I'm not even a Pats fan, but to try and paint Belichick as anything other than the best coach in NFL history is comical      

Yea, I was simply adding on to the comment, not attacking you for defending it.  And I agree BB is the best in the 40 years, wasn't arguing it.  Simply that, BB and Brady are tied together forever.  It would be fitting for them to retire together because I don't think either would be near individually what they are together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 'stache said:

These stats kind of go hand-in-hand. With a bellcow RB like Zeke we eat up clock with extended drives. We're one of only a handful of teams that do this, so it makes sense that our offensive stats will not be top 5. It also means fewer possessions to defend so those numbers look better. We're playing a different game right now than most of the league which is going towards the college model of being pass heaving and scoring quicker. I"m not concerned with those numbers at all. What matters to me is that I saw the offense wearing teams down and scoring points and the defense was making big 3rd down stops. Hopefully we do even better this year and make an actual playoff run.

if that was true then they wouldn't have dropped so far from '16 to now running the exact same offense with basically the same personnel. The reason they dropped in points isn't because of their pace-of-play, it's because they're terrible in the red zone and run about the least efficient offense in the league. An offense that inefficient is not good business to load up almost 80% of your salary cap into. 

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yep.  There's always hope Stephen is smarter than his old man, but not much evidence other than talking him out of Johnny Drugtest.  

also seems like stephen doesn’t love the players like jerry does.  I’m sure those athletes know that when jerry dies stephen won’t take care of them like daddy did. 

Ok now that this shit is done with, season predictions?

11-5 for me.

There is absolutely zero reason we should not start 3-0, and that was even if Zeke was not there. Giants, Redskins and Dolphins is about as easy as a trio you can get. This roster is very talented. Of course Garrett sucks but I guess I am putting faith in Kellen Moore. And the defense can be better. And good thing our suspensions on defense come early when the start of the season is terribly easy.

I also fully expect the Giants game to go the way of the second game last year. We will dominate in every category but still won't win by much. 

Edited by Vic Mackey

Hopefully can at least look forward to Garrett finally getting fired if we don't go to the conference championship for the 24th year in a row or whatever number it is now.

I think he's finally gone if we don't win 11+ games and make some noise. 

...That is unless Dak or Zeke get hurt then he has another excuse. 

So basically the deal is 4 for 50. Not bad at all.  They'll probably  need to keep him a 5th year(age 29) to not have a good cap hit of dead money.  Much better than all the chicken littles and shock jocks were saying.

Truly a Win/Win here.  Zeke get's the "Highest paid RB" moniker, the Cowboys will probably never pay him that amount unless he has an Adrian Peterson type 10 year career(minus the Knee injuries pleas)

• Like 2

I like the concept of a ball control offense that can pull off the big play when the D gets too greedy.

1. The rest of the league is geared toward stopping passing offenses and will be in a learning curve against us.

2. We have the ability to eat up the last five minutes of clock while our opponents use all their time outs.

Whether or not Ginger has the cojones to stick to it is another matter. And will the OC be creative enough to keep a stacked line off balance on critical downs. I'll go out on a limb, without having watch any pre-season shit, and say 12-4. The Cowboys are fucking due.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the Sporttrac guy is trying to say..."it'll be difficult to move on before 2022" the 4th year of this deal? That should be about the point where we're trying to decide if we should want to move on or not.

18 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

I like the concept of a ball control offense that can pull off the big play when the D gets too greedy.

1. The rest of the league is geared toward stopping passing offenses and will be in a learning curve against us.

2. We have the ability to eat up the last five minutes of clock while our opponents use all their time outs.

Whether or not Ginger has the cojones to stick to it is another matter. And will the OC be creative enough to keep a stacked line off balance on critical downs. I'll go out on a limb, without having watch any pre-season shit, and say 12-4. The Cowboys are fucking due.

And this.  I know it's ass backwards and all...but just think. The Pats beat both the Cheifs and especially the Rams running a very similar offensive design as Dallas.  The difference was their defensive front 7 didn't get schemed to death against the Rams, and the Cowboys did(and they still had a good chance of holding them to a stop and giving Dak the ball back in his element with some time to spare).

Edited by Drew
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

So just like I said before, Zeke’s contract will work with the cap now, and the cap later.  It’s essentially 4/$50mm, all guaranteed, and if he’s playing well, we can pull a lever and spread some prorated signing bonus over another year.   Fucking nancies 

Anything over $10 mil a year cap hit for a traditional running back is insane. 

This deal and the others will put them in a position to either let most of their top 10 defense walk or gut their OL with cuts off Tyron, Frederick, and Martin over the next two off-seasons. I'd rather keep the defense, keep the OL, and let Zeke sit/walk and RT Collins walk. 

There's no way to spin these last two contracts as anything but stupid. Keep trying though, it's worth a laugh. 

also, don't forget that the reason these last four seasons with cheap dak they couldn't go all in on big time free agents the way the Rams did is because of the stupid restructuring contracts garbage with Romo and witten and others to try to "beat" the cap. there's no way to beat this hard cap without paying for it somewhere down the line. The only thing that saved them from absolute garbage Campo like years was lucking out with Dak in the 4th round.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

11-5 (5-1), unfortunately not enough for a first round playoff bye. Season exactly like 2018-2019. Difference is QB. Maybe Moore can make up for it with play-calling. 

This team is loaded and it won’t be enough to be better than the Rams and possibly the Saints/Eagles/Packers. All of whom have superior coaching and/or QB play. 

11-5 may be enough for a first round bye given the amount of real contenders in the NFC.  Assuming good health for all teams Carolina, Chicago, Green Bay, LA, Dallas, Philly and New Orleans seem to be the elite of the conference.  I doubt two of those teams go 12-4 and Dallas gets to play all of them but Carolina.  All of the divisions except for the West have two real contenders and Seattle could be a "sleeper".  Last year there were three teams 12-4 or better (NO and LA at 13-3 and Chicago at 12-4).  I doubt that happens again.