Dallas Cowboys 2019 Season Thread -- Aaaah Zeke Out?

Patrick Bateman

21 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

A few years ago Marinelli made chicken salad out of chicken shit. Now he's making chicken salad out of lobster. Cowboys have acquired too much talent to have seen such little improvement. 

Preach.

Thought Marinelli's defensive scheming during Dak's rookie season was masterful because we had zero pass rush and no secondary. Overall talent on defense has gone up, and so has performance, but it no longer seems like he's getting the most out of what's available.

Richard still calls the defense even though he is the db coach, just like the end of last season. 

Dallas SHOULD have already promoted him and fired marinelli. One would have to think there is some sort of plan agreed  to for Richard to continue with this arrangement this season. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I thought we did this last year, but I see Richard is back to coaching DBs. Didn't Marinelli yield defensive calls to Richard at some point in 2018, or did I merely dream that?

Richard calls the actual plays so he's a de facto D-coordinator, but the title has remained with Marinelli out of respect and I think I read they do prep together.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Of the 32 players taken in the 1st round in 2017, Taco's Weighted Career Approximate Value is only better than three players -- WR John Ross (2, drafted 9th by CIN), OLB Charles Harris (5, drafted 22nd by MIA) and CB Gareon Conley (5, drafted 24th by OAK). Tak McKinley's CarAV is somehow only 6 even though he has 13 lifetime sacks. TJ Watt's is 18, tied for sixth-best among 1st rounders that year (McCaffrey 25, Ramczyk 25, Mahomes 23, Watson 23 and Trubisky 20).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2017/draft.htm

Any rankings system that doesn't value Patrick Mahomes as the most valuable and productive player from the 2017 draft doesn't pass the smell test. 

Not that I'm defending Taco in any way. He sucks big time

1 hour ago, Braff Zacklin said:

I thought we did this last year, but I see Richard is back to coaching DBs. Didn't Marinelli yield defensive calls to Richard at some point in 2018, or did I merely dream that?

I thought I remembered this too. I looked on the webpage and they call him "Passing Game Coordinator and Defensive Backs." The first part is usually a form of offensive playcaller, but I assume in this case he's calling defensive plays in some capacity. He's clearly up for DC if Marinelli ever fucking dies or breaks a hip.

40 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Any rankings system that doesn't value Patrick Mahomes as the most valuable and productive player from the 2017 draft doesn't pass the smell test. 

Not that I'm defending Taco in any way. He sucks big time

Mahomes only appeared in one game as a rookie so his 23 was effectively all from last year. The other four have all played two full seasons. I'm certain Mahomes will be #1 at the conclusion of this season provided he doesn't get hurt.

He led the NFL in Approximate Value last season at 22 (so he earned 1 for the one game his rookie year).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2018/leaders.htm

Approximate Value
1. Patrick Mahomes  KAN 22
2. Mitchell Schwartz  KAN 20
3. Jared Goff  LAR 18
  Tyreek Hill  KAN 18
  Darius Leonard  IND 18
6. Drew Brees  NOR 17
  Danielle Hunter  MIN 17
  Khalil Mack  CHI 17
  Michael Thomas  NOR 17
10. Todd Gurley  LAR 16
  Alvin Kamara  NOR 16
  Christian McCaffrey  CAR 16
  4 more tied at 16

So... hopefully we can keep Kris Richard in the fold and promote him to d coord next season?

And teams win in different ways, can’t get caught looking back to figure out how to win going forward. As soon as we win by our way others will say they should build the team through oline/rb... just the way it is.

We have a talented roster and are probably the best team in the nfc right now. We should enjoy the ride some

And pay dak.

Jinxes don't work against truly great teams. Nobody jinxed the Aikman-Smith Cowboys. They got butt-raped by an officiating crew in SF one year, but not jinxed. Very reminiscent of the no-call against the Saints in last year's NFC Championship game. Every official on that field should have been fired.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

1 hour ago, Get ln My Van said:

This game on Sunday is a classic game that the Cowboys would lose in years past.

With Kellen now running the offense I’m more confident but it’s still ultimately a Garrett lead team and the Dolphins make it closer than it should be.

Cowboys 20 - Dolphins 17

This dolphins team is a strong candidate to go 0-16 and make their case for worst team all time.  What games in years past did the cowboys lose that approached that?

Yeah Taco was projected to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd. Seems Tacos attitude was the biggest thing or he would still be at least be a depth guy.

Is TJ Watt big enough to be a 4-3 DE? 

Cowboys have also hit on some guys the fans hated. Remember the Travis Fredrick selection? LVE? An injured Jaylon Smith? They caught a lot of crap for reaching on a few guys that worked out.

40 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

I was thinking/hoping that he could eventually be a Tyrone Crawford.  Play inside and out and be a good rotation player.  

I still think he can be a decent player but he needs to grow up fast.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if Taco won out due to his potential versatility in playing multiple positions.

Byron Jones versatility was also mentioned when he was picked. Could maybe play safety or CB. That pick obv worked out better.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Yeah Taco was projected to be a late 1st rounder or early 2nd. Seems Tacos attitude was the biggest thing or he would still be at least be a depth guy.

Is TJ Watt big enough to be a 4-3 DE? 

Cowboys have also hit on some guys the fans hated. Remember the Travis Fredrick selection? LVE? An injured Jaylon Smith? They caught a lot of crap for reaching on a few guys that worked out.

Travis Frederick was the biggest one.  I don't remember a lot of folks hating on LVE.  He was a physical freak, it was simply lack of experience where folks had concerns.  We've gotten one year of good football out of Jaylon and already extended him.  He'll need to ball for at least 3-4 season before being worth the 34/35th pick or whatever he was.  TJ Watt is 6'4", 255 lbs and a very good athlete, but if he's a bad scheme fit then okay (although I think good coaches take talent and adjust their schemes to get the best out of them).  Taco was an average athlete at best and was mostly potential.  But it doesn't just have to be a conversation about TJ Watt.  Again, you don't have to reach for a specific need or if you are, ensure you're getting a good football player who's college career was.... inconsistent.

Another idea..... or we didn't have to go DL if we had higher grades on the board.

Taco is arguably the biggest bust in 35 years for a first rounder for Dallas and poor Billy was simply an injury.

Morris Claiborne was my biggest disappointment. Not that he was a worse player than Taco but traded up high in the 1st round to get him and he had a lot of injuries and inconsistent play. Thought he would be a stud.

Hope Ramsey doesn't go to Philly. He's a bit of a diva but the Jaguars are also a mess right now.

Edited by Loch Ness Monster

40 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Morris Claiborne was my biggest disappointment. Not that he was a worse player than Taco but traded up high in the 1st round to get him and he had a lot of injuries and inconsistent play. Thought he would be a stud.

Hope Ramsey doesn't go to Philly. He's a bit of a diva but the Jaguars are also a mess right now.

Claiborne was a huge disappointment but he is a HOF player compared to Taco.

Taco, Claiborne, and Carpenter are the first round failures of recent memory.  Dallas hasn't had many flat out busts from the first round.  That's probably because they haven't had to reach for QBs.  If Jerry had actually pulled the trigger on the trade up for Paxton Lynch, that would have certainly topped the disaster list.

I really think the 22 point spread is too much.

As bad as the Dolphins are, and as good as I think the Cowboys are, I don't think they're going to win by 30 or something.

First off, even the Pats only had like 13/14 points at half time.  Miami tried to make them work for it a bit...and then the Cowboys/Garrett just don't seem to have the same destroy teams gene.

They'll get up like 28-7 or something, and throttle down and end up winning 31-13 or 34-14.

55 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Taco, Claiborne, and Carpenter are the first round failures of recent memory.  Dallas hasn't had many flat out busts from the first round.  That's probably because they haven't had to reach for QBs.  If Jerry had actually pulled the trigger on the trade up for Paxton Lynch, that would have certainly topped the disaster list.

All-time Cowboys 1st round picks with lower CarAV rating than Taco's current 6:

• 1972 (26th) -- RB Bill Thomas (Boston College) ... in 27 career games, carried 13 times for 36 yards (CarAV=0)
  • 1979 (27th) -- C Robert Shaw (Tennessee) ... 33 career games (CarAv=5)
  • 1984 (25th) -- LB Billy Cannon (Texas A&M) ... 8 career games (CarAv=1)
  • Others of note -- Dennis Homan (7), DT Larry Bethea (9), Robert Shaw (5), Rod Hill (7), David LaFleur (7) and Bobby Carpenter (10)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm

2 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Game is now "Pick 'em"

I really think the 22 point spread is too much.
As bad as the Dolphins are, and as good as I think the Cowboys are, I don't think they're going to win by 30 or something.
First off, even the Pats only had like 13/14 points at half time.  Miami tried to make them work for it a bit...and then the Cowboys/Garrett just don't seem to have the same destroy teams gene.
They'll get up like 28-7 or something, and throttle down and end up winning 31-13 or 34-14.
I think the Pats were just sleepwalking. They are professionals but are humans. They knew they could exert little energy to win that game. Defense gave them 2 touchdowns.