Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

(Super K) More on Arch Manning

Hide contents

As you know, Texas is in pursuit of 5-star 2023 QB, Arch Manning. Manning would not only be a massive pull for Texas but it would also act as a potential counter to the fairly likely outcome of the Sooners landing Malachi Nelson.

First, is Texas a real player in the Arch Manning race?

According to Manning’s coach, who I spoke with, absolutely.

CJ reported earlier this week that there is a possibility that Manning will make it in for this weekend’s spring game. That’s something we have heard from multiple people. I still don’t have a final confirmation on that but the fact that it seems to be a serious consideration is, in my estimation, noteworthy.

I was driving when I spoke with Manning’s high school coach so I was unable to write the record/write notes. But he emphasized:

1. That they communicate with coach Sark quite a bit.

2. The coach and the family do seem to be big believers in Sark and what he can build at Texas in the future. The coach gushed about Sark so much he almost struck me as a Texas fan. Said he’s really hoping Sark is able to bring Texas back.

3. Also, emphasized how that they perceive Sark as a true offensive and quarterback genius. This is significant because given Arch’s pedigree, they’re going to look for more than just shiny things and a good pitch. They’ve got shiny things and they can see through a good pitch. They’re going to look for a true developer of the position and there aren’t many of those.

4. I get the sense that they are also very impressed with Sark as a person. Talked about how down-to-earth and relatable he is and how that is such a big bonus when added to the fact that he’s an elite play-caller.

Based on the conversation with Arch’s coach and speaking to some other sources about Arch and then another little note that Darius passed on (still working to get additional confirmation on it), Texas is very much in this one.

3. Also, emphasized how that they perceive Sark as a true offensive and quarterback genius. This is significant because given Arch’s pedigree, they’re going to look for more than just shiny things and a good pitch. They’ve got shiny things and they can see through a good pitch. They’re going to look for a true developer of the position and there aren’t many of those.

I love this.

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Ummmmmmm...... Are you familiar with our track record developing QBs over the last dozen years?

Seriously? Do you think logos develop QBs? No, coaches do. Charlie Strong's UT track record means absolutely nothing. UGA under Kirby hasn't done squat at QB. Sark has done quite a bit everywhere he's been.

1 minute ago, Tex-19 said:

Seriously? Do you think logos develop QBs? No, coaches do. Charlie Strong's UT track record means absolutely nothing. UGA under Kirby hasn't done squat at QB. Sark has done quite a bit everywhere he's been.

Todd Monken is the relevant coach, not Kirby.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, saying coaches develop QBs and then citing to the other school's defensive HC, instead of the guy who would actually be coaching Manning, is peak fan message board logic.  Monken certainly doesn't have Sark's resume, but he has a background he can sell and UGA's offensive scheme was much improved last year, despite a rotating door at QB.  Sark is obviously the better QB guru, though.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

And Monken can sell the NFL success of Clint Chelf, Nick Mullens,Jameis Winston, Baker Mayfield's rookie year, and the progression of Stetson Bennett

Huh?  Nick Mullens is a resounding NFL success coming from Southern Miss, and Jameis had by far his best seasons under Monken.  Monken had Baker in Year 2 when he was awful. If he coached Baker in Year 1, then that would actually be a feather in his cap.  Again, Sark is undoubtedly the better option, but let's not act like Monken is Shawn Watson.

17 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Ok and has he ever developed a good QB?

Also, I disagree that the HC is irrelevant. A lot of conservative, defensive-minded HCs won't let their OC open up the offense like other schools. Saban used to be like this but saw the light. It's also about practice structure, what gets emphasized, etc. Same goes for defense under offensive coaches. Ex: Why can't OU ever have good defenses under Riley even with top recruits and elite DC hires? Why did Chavis and others all fail so much under Sumlin? There's a reason some HCs churn through multiple coordinators who all do surprisingly bad despite great track records.

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh?  Nick Mullens is a resounding NFL success

Oh, right. The emergency backup who is now jobless is a "resounding NFL success". Thumbs up, guy. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Jameis had by far his best seasons under Monken

Monken was in Tampa Bay for 3 years and Winston *literally* regressed every year. I take that back - yards way down, completion % up 4 pts, and every season over 10 picks. Winston was never great, but he got worse under Monken. 

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Monken had Baker in Year 2 when he was awful. If he coached Baker in Year 1, then that would actually be a feather in his cap.

Let me rephrase that for you, "the only year in which Monken coached Mayfield, he was awful". The other part is an opinion I don't share, but who cares. 

9 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Ok and has he ever developed a good QB?

Also, I disagree that the HC is irrelevant. A lot of conservative, defensive-minded HCs won't let their OC open up the offense like other schools. Saban used to be like this but saw the light. It's also about practice structure, what gets emphasized, etc. Same goes for defense under offensive coaches. Ex: Why can't OU ever have good defenses under Riley even with top recruits and elite DC hires? Why did Chavis and others all fail so much under Sumlin? There's a reason some HCs churn through multiple coordinators who all do surprisingly bad despite great track records.

So, uh, who's gonna tell him that OU's defense was #7 in the country last year per FEI and did better than their offense, which was 17th?  There's a laundry list of good OCs in college who have a ton of success under defensive HCs.  Maybe just admit citing Kirby Smart was dumb instead of digging the hole further.  You still have a decent point of Sark vs. Monken.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Oh, right. The emergency backup who is now jobless is a "resounding NFL success". Thumbs up, guy. 

Monken was in Tampa Bay for 3 years and Winston *literally* regressed every year. I take that back - yards way down, completion % up 4 pts, and every season over 10 picks. Winston was never great, but he got worse under Monken. 

Let me rephrase that for you, "the only year in which Monken coached Mayfield, he was awful". The other part is an opinion I don't share, but who cares. 

Yeesh. Having to resort to citing total yards. I expect better from you.  Jameis' total yards were down due to injuries and playing in less games in years 2 and 3.  He increased his YPG every year under Monken. All his efficiency stats improved under Monken and are the best of his career. So yeah, Monken absolutely did well with him. Much better than Bruce Arians.  

Any QB from Southern Miss who starts games in the NFL is a success story for that school. On top of that, he actually put up good stats and had success when he played. 

Like I said, Sark is obviously better, but Monken has some success to sell. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

So, uh, who's gonna tell him that OU's defense was #7 in the country last year per FEI and did better than their offense, which was 17th?  There's a laundry list of good OCs in college who have a ton of success under defensive HCs.  Maybe just admit citing Kirby Smart was dumb instead of digging the hole further.

So are you saying the HC doesn't matter for whichever side of the ball they don't specialize in? Would you apply that logic to past UT teams? 1 year out of 6 is a very small proofpoint but hey maybe you're right and Lincoln finally figured his shit out on that side (hopefully not). Still doesn't mean Kirby has. And by the way, the point isn't that all defensive HCs fail on offense. It's that some don't know what they're doing and get in the way (think Turtle and special teams).

Back on UGA, Monken is their 3rd OC in 5 years under Kirby. All have had 5 star QBs in the program yet still end up with pretty average QB play. The common theme is Kirby Smart. He likes a strong running game, a stout defense, and a game manager at QB. Basically the former Bama model from when Kirby was there. Those foundations aren't up to the OC to decide and they dictate what gets worked on in practice, what's called during the game, etc.

I wouldn't expect the national 9.95ers to have much info on Manning.  His family is rich, he's already the top rated qb and they don't need help/advice on football or recruiting.  There's not much incentive for the family to talk to anyone other than the schools he is interested in.

Edited by kevwun

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

I wouldn't expect the national 9.95ers to have much info on Manning.  His family is rich, he's already the top rated qb and they don't need help/advice on football or recruiting.  There's not much incentive for the family to talk to anyone other than the schools he is interested in.

The only 9.95ers that have a chance are the ones that can glean Arch's innermost thoughts from the ground.

IT on Arch Manning

Spoiler

Your sporadic source for tasty treats. A joint Scipio/Nahlin production. Nahpio Sciplin if you will.

Anyway, let's do this...

Texas continues its diligent pursuit of 2023 QB prospect Arch Manning. Communication between the Mannings and Texas is frequent and the relationship is very good. The Mannings did their due diligence on Sarkisian by speaking to several of his former QBs. The verdict? A big thumbs up for Sarkisian as a QB coach, person, and play designer.

The Mannings approach this process with very clear eyes and a sophistication that no football family can match, outside of the Matthews clan. Cooper is very sharp and Peyton, Eli and Archie all know what good (and bad - poor Archie) looks like.

They do not care about the flavor of the moment or last year's AP Poll. The football-related emphasis is on quality of QB coaching and the sophistication/friendliness of the offense for NFL development with enough surrounding talent to make it go. Obviously, an enjoyable college experience in a place that cares about football with coaches who value Arch as a person is also key.

The football related point means that several programs you'd expect to be at the top of the recruitment for any generic 5 star stud QB from New Orleans are not even in the race. Pro tip: look at schools featuring good offensive minds (with some NFL translation) who are proven QB developers. Then you'll understand the true contenders.

"The test of a first rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the head at the same time and still retain the ability to function." -- F Scott Fitzgerald.

Consider Mr Fitzgerald's wisdom and don't close the door on 2022 5 star QB Quinn Ewers. The Ohio State commitment made his switch to Ohio State when Texas was in disarray and failing to progress its offense. It was a rational perfectly defensible choice. Texas fans acting like they've been personally spurned need to un-beta themselves. Ewers is an exceptional talent with a lifelong affection for the Longhorns. Sarkisian and his staff won't and shouldn't give up on him. And last I checked, 2022 comes before 2023.

One thought to consider: while Ohio State has built a great program, you're unlikely to find them on Arch Manning's final list of suitors. Think about the Manning family criteria and the sophistication with which they understand offense.

Now consider how that might be used to sell Texas to Ewers.

Finally, a note on the Texas head coach himself. I was once told by a prominent Big Cigar that Tom Herman never found an ally he couldn't alienate. Herman's interactions with others too often felt calculated and "he's a one-upper when his ego is threatened."

That Cigar told me that Sarkisian is the same guy, every day. He's fun to talk to, extremely candid, and lacks defensiveness. He's one of the boys, but doesn't cross lines.

His take: "Steve is secure and wears well on people. He knows he can coach ball and is very confident, but he's largely unimpressed with himself. He's just a guy you want to hang out with. He's very genuine. The cool older brother that everyone in the family looks up to."

Sark is here to win football games and develop young men (at least those who want to be developed) but don't underestimate how his personality plays favorably on those points.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Have you considered reading the thread?

Uh yeah the question was whether anyone has seen an update since the last relevant post yesterday which said he was a maybe. The IT post in the thread doesn't mention the spring game

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Tex-19 said:

Uh yeah the question was whether anyone has seen an update since the last relevant post yesterday which said he was a maybe. The IT post in the thread doesn't mention the spring game

So you're claiming that you read the thread, saw nothing, but thought there was plenty of new information and no one here thought to mention it? Ok, got it. 

• Haha 2

On 4/21/2021 at 10:21 AM, SydneyCarton said:

A thoughtful, well reasoned response supported by facts. On the other hand, Fuck Texifornia. 

He touched all of us, violently, in the ears for the entirety of his fucking career. I gotta tell you, I've never heard a negative thing about Athens either, but you're really making an outstanding case against your own interests on this topic. Michael Stipe deserves to burn in hell for eternity. 

I hit him in the face with a battery during a concert circa 1987 at the Bronco Bowl.  I was really drunk and stepped on a battery in the pit and rolled my ankle, which made me really mad, and for some reason, I picked it up and hummed it at him, probably because I couldn't understand a fucking word he was singing in "Driver 8." 

I still feel bad about this.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I hit him in the face with a battery during a concert circa 1987 at the Bronco Bowl.  I was really drunk and stepped on a battery in the pit and rolled my ankle, which made me really mad, and for some reason, I picked it up and hummed it at him, probably because I couldn't understand a fucking word he was singing in "Driver 8." 

I was gonna rep you and immortalize you as a hero in my mind until you revealed that this wasn’t premeditated and you inexplicably feel guilty. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

So it was only AA?

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was gonna rep you and immortalize you as a hero in my mind until you revealed that this wasn’t premeditated and you inexplicably feel guilty. 

I don't bring my own batteries to throw to a concert.  I'm not tOSU fan, you know.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Hopefully he recovered. 

Edited by Blackcat00

Roach on Cook

Spoiler

— It’s still early for 2023 DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook, but Texas is making a big impression early.  Cook took in the Texas spring game and told me that he sees the vision for where the offense wants to go and sees opportunity for early playing time and a need for playmakers.  Cook feels all of those things fit him, and Texas is making connections with his family.  Cook’s father played high school football with Director of High School Relations Chris Gilbert and is close friends with the former Lancaster coach.  The coaches have also been able to make a strong connection with Cook’s mother.  They’ve done a few virtual presentations and focused on academics and a full tour of the program.  Cook will definitely look into his options, but I think Texas is grabbing an excellent foothold early on.