Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

IT

Spoiler

TE Luke Hasz, Bigsby (Bigsby, OK) (2023):

The nation’s top rated tight end for 2023 not only hears from the Horns, but he’s buying what they’re selling.

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, the four-star with 26 offers including LSU, Ohio State, and Texas A&M is a dual-threat for Bixby. He plays on both sides of the ball and for the basketball team.

He’s in no hurry to make any proclamations.

“As of right now, I’m soaking in all the schools that have offered me and every school stands out to me,” Hasz said. “But I am ready to get out and see these amazing schools. I’m looking for a place that I feel comfortable at and have the right fit for me as a player and as a student.”

Deep in the heart of OU territory is where Texas will have to pull this 2023 stud. The staff has already prioritized him.

“I was very excited about the offer Texas,” said Hasz. “UT is a very great school with a very great program. Talking to coach (Jeff) Banks is amazing. I can’t wait to build a relationship with the coaches there.”

Still, Hasz appreciates the attention and the opportunity ahead of him.

“It has been a huge blessing to my family and I,” said Hasz. “It means a lot that colleges believe in me and see something in me as a person and a player.”

Hasz tallied 32 receptions for 703 yards and nine touchdowns in 2020.

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: Where does Texas stand with 2023 QB Arch Manning?

Spoiler

— I had the opportunity to see Arch Manning today after making the trip to New Orleans and taking in a practice at Isidore Newman. Manning had some wrist soreness from an injury and wasn’t participating in practice today, but it doesn’t sound like anything serious as he’s expected to participate in his team’s spring game this Thursday. Physically I was somewhat surprised to see how developed Arch already is. It’s not exactly a surprise given the family genetics, but his lower half is well developed and he’s further along than most high school sophomores in his upper body. In a world where recruit measurements are rarely accurate if they aren’t verified, I was somewhat shocked to see how big Manning was. I was also pleased to see the way Manning carried himself today despite not throwing. He was constantly engaged, and he worked with the younger quarterbacks on the roster. He also did whatever the coaches needed from snapping the ball in 7v7 to playing the part of a linebacker during RPO drills. In talking with him after, you wouldn’t ever get the sense he comes from the most famous family in football.

— Steve Wiltfong has been all over this recruitment from the beginning, and he’s dialed in when it comes to talking to the right folks. So., when he says that Texas is in the thick of this race, he should be listened to. I’ll back him up and tell you the job the Longhorns are doing is extraordinary from the feedback I received today. This is basically a two-man show with Steve Sarkisian and A.J. Milwee running point for the 2023 five-star. Both Arch and his head coach Nelson Stewart raved about the job those two have done in being authentic and real when it comes to recruiting Manning. Combine that with Sark’s record of quarterback development and the offense he runs, and it’s easy to see why Texas is one to watch early on. While Sark will get the headlines, don’t undersell the job Milwee is doing. Arch sort of lit up when I asked about the Texas quarterback coach and described him as a guy he’d love to play for. Arch even went as far as to say he hoped he didn’t get hired away from Texas. We don’t typically hear a ton about Milwee, but he’s front and center in this recruitment.

— There definitely is a strong connection developing between Manning and a few other 2023 stars. Two names he talked about were Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook. The three were connected over social media and have enjoyed getting to know each other. Manning said the two were great to talk to and he wanted to be able to play with great players wherever lands. Both Cook and Owens will be at Texas with Manning in June and he’s excited to get to know them personally. Manning will also bring 2023 Isidore Newman tight end Will Randle on the trip with him.

— So where do things stand with Texas and Manning? I would say the Longhorns are right in the thick of this race. It’s important to state that nothing will really heat up until Manning takes some visits this summer, but Texas has the chance to make a big move with the trip planned in June. While it’s still early, I’d say that Alabama and Clemson will likely be the biggest point of competition for him.

— While it’s not Manning-related, I did want to mention that I was told by a source that 2023 Allen defensive lineman David Hicks will make a trip to Austin on June 3rd. The five-star prospect is moving from Katy Morton Ranch to Allen following his father taking a job on the Eagles’ coaching staff, and Texas is a big player in this recruitment. Hicks has a big summer planned, but getting to campus early will be big for Texas to make an impact.

• Hook 'Em 2

(Mike Roach) Five-star 2023 quarterback Arch Manning talks Texas in exclusive interview

Spoiler

NEW ORLEANS —Arch Manning is preparing to enter his junior season as a three-year starter.

The five-star passer from New Orleans (LA) Isidore Newman has been working off the field to improve himself and working with his coaches to improve the offense. He will get to see that work on display this Thursday in his spring game.

“I’ve put on some size and grown a little from last year, so that definitely helped,” Manning said. “We’ve been working some new stuff on offense to get everyone involved. I think that’s definitely improved but I’m ready for our spring game on Thursday and a good season in the fall.”

It’s hard to ignore the legacy of the Manning family at Newman. Their name adorns the gates outside of the stadium while a sign on the field denotes the contributions of Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Arch’s father Cooper Manning. Though he is next in line, Arch said he doesn’t feel any pressure to be anyone but himself.

“Right now, I’m just focused on spring ball and getting ready for the summer and next fall,” he said. “I don’t really have to feel any pressure right now. I’m just focused on taking one step at a time and building chemistry with my teammates.”

Texas has been a factor in his recruitment since Steve Sarkisian arrived in Austin. Manning said that the resume he brings, and his personality is what interests him in Texas.

“I like coach Sark a lot and his staff,” Manning said. “I think they are going to get it going in the next few years and I’m excited to see what they can do. Obviously, he’s a freak of a coach with what he did at Alabama and the Falcons and everywhere else. He knows how to coach quarterbacks. He’s actually just a real nice guy and really laid back and I like him a lot.”

Manning is set to take in Texas on June 13. Having never been to Austin, Manning is looking forward to seeing what the city and campus have to offer.

“I’ve never been,” he said. “I’m looking forward to seeing the facilities and also just seeing Austin itself. I’m going out with my tight end Will Randle, so we’re looking for a fun time and looking forward to seeing the place.”

Texas quarterbacks coach A.J. Milwee is another major factor in this recruitment. Manning said the two have a strong bond and he feels they can forge a great relationship because of how relatable Milwee is.

“I like him a lot,” he said. “I can relate to him because he’s younger. It seems like we’re friends almost. I like him a lot. He’d be a cool guy to get to play for. Hopefully he doesn’t get too many job offers and he stays there. He’s a good guy. I really like everyone I’ve met and have enjoyed building relationships and meeting different guys.”

Manning has been talking with other big-name prospects in the 2023 class. Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook are two of the names Manning speaks with often, and he’s looking forward to meeting them when he makes his trip to Austin.

“Rueben and Johntay, I’m on a group chat with them and they both reached out,” Manning said. “They are both good athletes from Texas, so I’ve just been communicating with them a little bit. They are both going to be on the visit with me at the same time so I’m just looking forward to that and really getting to meet different players and stay in touch because I want good players wherever I go.”

Owens has been pursuing Manning and working to get him to commit as well. When asked if the push was still coming from Owens, Manning said that the lone commit in the 2023 class for Texas is someone he’s enjoyed getting to know.

“Yeah, a little bit just because he’s already committed there,” Manning said. “He’s a great guy and humble. He’s a stud so I guess we’re all looking forward to great junior years.”

Owens has been recruiting others to join him in Austin. Manning said his message is about bringing Texas back to prominence, but he’s not in any hurry to make a decision.

“He just says how he loves it,” Manning said. “He’s been to Austin and I’ve never been. He’s just been telling me about how they are going to use him because he’s an all-purpose back and he just says we can get Texas going. I don’t really know. I’m just taking it laid back and I’m really open right now. I’m just taking all of the advice that I can.”

Manning and his family are taking the recruiting process slowly. While he’d like to make a decision in a year’s time, Arch isn’t looking to lay down any type of arbitrary timeline. He’s more comfortable going with his gut and making a decision once he knows.

“I don’t really want to make a timeline because I feel like I’ll know when the time is right,” he said. “I don’t really want to pressure it to be like a certain time. I just want to go see these places. I guess an accurate time would probably be around next year, but I really don’t know.”

At 6-foot-3.5, 200 pounds, Manning is ranked as the No. 1 pro-style quarterback in the nation and No. 1 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Hook 'Em 1

2023 247 in-state rankings

1) Anthony Hill WDE?
2) David Hicks DT
3) Jalen Hale WR
4) Rueben Owens RB
5) Malik Muhammad CB
6) Anthony James SDE
7) Jaquaize Pettaway WR
'8) Jordan Renaud DT
9) Jaden Greathouse TE
10) Javien Toviano CB
11) Johntay Cook II WR
12) Dalton Brooks ATH
13) Harris Sewell OG
14) Braxton Myers S
15) Avion Carter SDE
16) Jayvon Thomas CB
17) Peyton Bowen S
18) Ashton Porter SDE
19) Enow Etta WDE
20) Isaiah Crawford WDE
21) Mikal Harrison-Pilot ATH
22) Braylon James WR
23) Dylan Spencer SDE
24) Isaiah Robinson OT
25) Jamel Johnson S
26) Markis Deal OG
27) Jonah Wilson WR
28) Jacoby Davis CB
29) Christian Brathwaite ILB
30) Daniel Demery S
31) Ryan Yaites S
32) Isaiah Kema OG
33) Brenden Jordan S

No idea how many will be takes for Texas, but there are a ton of DL/EDGE and S in the top 33. No QBs, only 1 OL in the top 23

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

I'm officially in the Manning > Ewers camp. The recruiting bump Quinn brought didn't leave once he left. Manning well help recruit nationally in a seemingly down year. 

Weird, I'd rather have the more talented player which is easily Ewers.

• Hook 'Em 2

51 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Weird, I'd rather have the more talented player which is easily Ewers.

I'd rather have Ewers, but if Manning is willing to commit over the summer I will take it and not look back. Not that I am expecting that to happen.

11 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I mean...can you actually say that Ewers is "easily" the better qb? Comparing a 15yo with a 17yo and projecting their college ability isn't an exact science. 

"more talented" is not the same as "better", from what I've seen at the same point in their development my opinion is that Ewers is easily the more naturally talented player. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, elguapo said:

"more talented" is not the same as "better", from what I've seen at the same point in their development my opinion is that Ewers is easily the more naturally talented player. 

Their rankings have borne that out. Ewers have been in his own tier as a qb and (almost) consensus top 2022 prospect for years. Manning is sometimes ranked as the top 2023 qb but some services have had Nelson above him and I haven't seen a list that had him as the top prospect in the country. He's always top 5 so it's a matter of degrees, but Ewers is a more uncommonly talented prospect. 

• Hook 'Em 2

IT

Spoiler

DE David Hicks Jr, Allen (2023):

One of the top defensive ends in-state for 2023 will be making his way to Austin in early June. Hicks' father told IT that the four-star will be in Austin for an unofficial visit on June 3rd.

The former Katy Morton Ranch standout moved to Allen this off-season after his father was hired by new head coach Chad Morris. He tallied 52 tackles, 12 tackles for loss, five sacks, and three forced fumbles in 2020, and adds instant bad ass to the Allen defensive front.

The four-star prospect and three-sport stud who also plays basketball and throws shot put and discus, holds 29 offers including Georgia, Alabama, Notre Dame, and Michigan. At 6-foot-4, 250 pounds, he could easily slide inside the defensive interior at the next level.

Hicks Jr will have his pick of schools across the nation when his time to decide arrives. Seeing Texas first only days after the NCAA dead period gets lifted is a solid move.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

I'd rather have Ewers, but if Manning is willing to commit over the summer I will take it and not look back. Not that I am expecting that to happen.

Well, Manning committing this summer would still be like 18 months from signing so there would be plenty of looking back still.

4 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I mean...can you actually say that Ewers is "easily" the better qb? Comparing a 15yo with a 17yo and projecting their college ability isn't an exact science. 

Go watch their sophomore film back to back. Talent is pretty noticeably different. Mental aspects, work ethic, leadership, etc. might be a different story and could make up the gap, but talent isn’t really a question. 

• Like 1

Go watch their sophomore film back to back. Talent is pretty noticeably different. Mental aspects, work ethic, leadership, etc. might be a different story and could make up the gap, but talent isn’t really a question. 

Some of that can be attributed to the differences between SLC and Newman OL play. I’m not really arguing that they’re equal prospects, I agree Ewers is superior. I think the gap favors Manning.

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Some of that can be attributed to the differences between SLC and Newman OL play. I’m not really arguing that they’re equal prospects, I agree Ewers is superior. I think the gap favors Manning.

Dude Ewers is unequivocally superior to Manning. Arguing otherwise is just stupid. Ewers is in a recruiting category with guys like Trevor Lawrence and Vince Young in terms of talent and rankings. Manning gets a lot of the hype around him for his last name IMO. And that’s not saying he isn’t a really good player because he is but he’s not on the Ewers level. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Dude Ewers is unequivocally superior to Manning. Arguing otherwise is just stupid. Ewers is in a recruiting category with guys like Trevor Lawrence and Vince Young in terms of talent and rankings. Manning gets a lot of the hype around him for his last name IMO. And that’s not saying he isn’t a really good player because he is but he’s not on the Ewers level. 

Unless you're throwing your hat in the ring for "every fast RB recruit looks like Jamaal Charles" championship belt, I'm not sure I'd compare ANYONE to Vince Young on a longhorn message board at the QB position. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Unless you're throwing your hat in the ring for "every fast RB recruit looks like Jamaal Charles" championship belt, I'm not sure I'd compare ANYONE to Vince Young on a longhorn message board at the QB position. 

I’m comparing them as QB prospects in relation to their recruiting ranking. 

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I’m comparing them as QB prospects in relation to their recruiting ranking. 

https://247sports.com/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/

I feel like eyeballs is a better method at times. But if you want to give me an in-depth analysis of Vince Young versus Brock Berlin, Russel Shepherd, Jimmy Clausen or Bomar'd I'm not sure that it really makes your argument any better, but  I'd LOVE to read it. 

The point I was attemping to make, which I think you missed, is the second you do something like that with Vince Young there's going to be a certain segment of people reading that dismiss what you're saying entirely...because Vince Young. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, Jabberwocky said:

This Ohio kid definitely hates the weather at home, and will come to Texas. Unless, of course, the Ohio leigemen are feeling confident.

I know some people have given you shit for your posts at Fud regarding the Greene guy and OSU, but I have to say, watching your descent into some version of bulletin board madness as a reaction to it is fucking hilarious. I hope you keep grinding this axe into powder, my man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

This Ohio kid definitely hates the weather at home, and will come to Texas. Unless, of course, the Ohio leigemen are feeling confident.

Looks miserable in profile pic outdoors. I think you're onto something. 

IT on Arch Manning

Spoiler

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023

June isn’t just a big month for recruiting the 2022 class, and it’s not just a big month because recruits are finally able to visit campuses. June is a huge month because it is a key period for a number of individual high profile recruitments.

Recruitments get no bigger than Arch Manning, heir to the Manning football throne.

Next month, Manning will make his way to Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and SMU. SMU is the oddball there, but Sonny Dykes is a family friend. Don’t be surprised if a couple more visits get squeezed in, or are added to the July itinerary.

It’s not set in stone, but in talking to three sources, the other schools comprise an unofficial top-four. Another constant in talking to sources, the family and Arch love Steve Sarkisian. The elders have been impressed with Sark dating back to this time at Washington. Arch raves about him currently, in about every way imaginable, from personality to having the quarterback skins on the wall and at the draft podium.

Where things break down a little in consistency of what IT has heard is the order of schools. Alabama seems to be a constant at the top. Georgia seems to be fourth but still very much in it. IT has heard from one source Clemson is right there with Alabama, but from another source that Texas is right there with Alabama.

When diving deeper on Texas vs Clemson, we’ve never heard Dabo mentioned as the quarterback whisperer Sarkisian is, and the Mannings are fond of the way Sark protects his quarterbacks with the running back in the run game, where as Dabo will run his QB at times.

As for Texas the school, IT has stated for some time the Mannings are fond of the school in general and Arch’s sister May was set to attend Texas before she was admitted to a prestigious program at UVA.

June is going to be massive for this recruitment. If Sark’s approval rating remains where it is now, or improves post-visit, watch out.

The Texas head coach checks a lot of boxes.