Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

Wells

Spoiler

WR Ashton Cozart, Richland (2023): Dude. Elite body control, hands, ball skills. He’ll be in Austin on June 12th.

WR Braylon James, Del Valle (2023): One of the most physically impressive prospects in-state for 2023. He’s got some offers - LSU, Texas A&M, Georgia. UT is involved, but not enough to move the needle yet. Once they do, they could lead.

WR Kollin Lewis, Gladewater (2023): One of the better athletes in East Texas for this cycle, the multi-sport stud picked up Louisiana Tech and UTSA offers recently, with SMU, TCU, and Texas Tech looming. He’s a good receiver prospect, but corner might be his college home. Dad played hoops at UNLV.

WR/TE Ahstin Watkins, Chapel Hill (Tyler, TX) (2023): Texas A&M, UH, and SMU are the early ones on the 6’5, 215-pound pass-catcher. Dominant in hoops, HC Jeff Riordan thinks his most upside is on the gridiron.

Roach on Arch

Spoiler

It’s important to note that it is still very early in the timeline for the elite passer, and summer visits could flip the script on the suitors for Manning. While those around Newman are tight lipped and Arch himself said he’s completely open at the moment, it sounds like Texas, Alabama and Clemson are the three schools being talked about most right now. Manning comes from a family that obviously knows football, and they will be incredibly detailed in their investigation of each program. Steve Sarkisian and A.J. Milwee have done enough at this point to position Texas well and get them on the docket for one of the first visits Arch will take during his recruitment.  His friendship with 2023 prospects Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook is starting to blossom, and that could also serve to help Texas with Owens committed and Cook a major target on the board.  Manning is in no sort of hurry, and I don’t expect a commitment in the calendar year of 2021 unless something changes in his recruitment.  The bottom line is, Texas is sitting in about as good of a position as can be expected at this point with the chance to make another jump in his recruitment after Manning visits this summer.

Roach on Owens

Spoiler

Owens is going to announce his full schedule of summer visits soon.

We've been reporting for a while that Owens will visit a few programs this summer. A&M and Alabama are two that I expected and I think you'll see a few other big programs in there as well.

While you'd obviously rather he shut it down and not visit anyone, a source I spoke to this weekend in Austin felt that the relationship they have now has grown leaps and bounds from where it was even when he originally committed. Visits will always cause reason for worry, but I don't detect much of that right now.

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Arch

Hide contents

It’s important to note that it is still very early in the timeline for the elite passer, and summer visits could flip the script on the suitors for Manning. While those around Newman are tight lipped and Arch himself said he’s completely open at the moment, it sounds like Texas, Alabama and Clemson are the three schools being talked about most right now. Manning comes from a family that obviously knows football, and they will be incredibly detailed in their investigation of each program. Steve Sarkisian and A.J. Milwee have done enough at this point to position Texas well and get them on the docket for one of the first visits Arch will take during his recruitment.  His friendship with 2023 prospects Rueben Owens and Johntay Cook is starting to blossom, and that could also serve to help Texas with Owens committed and Cook a major target on the board.  Manning is in no sort of hurry, and I don’t expect a commitment in the calendar year of 2021 unless something changes in his recruitment.  The bottom line is, Texas is sitting in about as good of a position as can be expected at this point with the chance to make another jump in his recruitment after Manning visits this summer.

jeff goldblum ear GIF

IT

Spoiler

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto, TX) - 2023: The 6-foot, 170-pound dynamic receiver might be the best in-state for 2023, a cycle absolutely loaded with pass-catchers.

The speed demon is really liking UT right now and with good reason. Texas recruits him the hardest, Cook told IT on Sunday. He loves talking to Steve Sarkisian, Andre Coleman, and Jeff Banks. While Alabama, Ohio State, and Oklahoma are constantly in his ear, Cook maintains he has no leaders currently. His 31 offers include Georgia, Florida, TCU, and Oregon.

For Cook, his goals are more team-based in 2021. He wants 1,500 yards and 15 scores in his junior season, and to make it to AT&T Stadium for the state championship. He netted 690 yards receiving on 43 catches and 10 touchdowns in 2020.

He'll be in Austin on June 12th, and is eager to see his buddies Arch Manning and Rueben Owens, whom he texts with daily. Cook says the three discuss playing at the same school often and that only helps the Horns chances today.

WR Ashton Cozart, Richland (North Richland Hills, TX) - 2023: The list of potential elite pass-catchers in-state continues to grow. The Seattle move-in only adds to that luxurious list. At 6-foot-2, 175 pounds, his three-star ranking is borderline criminal, and his offer list only continues to grow.

He holds 18 offers including Florida, Miami, Florida State, and Oregon, and when UT offered on April 6th, it caught his attention. Running a 10.74 100m as sophomore in 2020 caught the scouts' eyes.

Cozart also interacts with other prospects about where they might be headed, but he insists his decision will be his own. His goal this season is to improve all facets of his game. He’s so smooth in his routes, it's easy to see why he scores so often. He catches the ball away from his body and rarely gets beat on jump balls.

He’ll be in Austin on June 12th with Manning, Owens, and Cook. I enjoyed writing that portion.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

ATX CAMPING

DB Bruce "Batman" Mitchell, Lone Star (Frisco, TX) - 2023: The 6-foot-1, 183-pound corner/safety, who played his freshman and sophomore seasons at Parish Episcopal in Plano, is ready to make his mark at Lone Star.

With Illinois State and Liberty offers, he’s headed to camps at Texas, TCU, and SMU this summer.

Mitchell notched 59 tackles, nine pass break-ups, and one interception in 2020.

(Mike Roach) Texas to host elite northwest program FSP for summer visit

Spoiler

This summer’s visit schedule will allow for some big national prospects to come through Austin.

Some of those prospects are already booked for a trip as several of the best from the Pacific Northwest will make the trip on June 8 when Ford Sports Performance brings their prospects on a tour of Texas.

FSP is one of the preeminent training programs for high school athletes in the country. Located in Bellevue, Washington, FSP is run by Tracy Ford and a staff of nearly twenty skills trainers and strength coaches working out of a 30,000 square foot facility. FSP’s 7v7 team, an extension of the training program, is one of the best teams in the country on a yearly basis. Ford works with multiple professional athletes and some of the best recruits in the country.

FSP’s 7v7 program includes alumni such as Sam Huard, Gee Scott Jr, Kelee Ringo, DJ Rogers, Sam Adams, JT Tuimoloau and many others. Pete Kwiatkowski and Jeff Choate both have familiarity with the program having recruited many of their athletes.

247Sports National Recruiting Editor Brandon Huffman’s home base is in Seattle, and he’s seen many of the FSP prospects develop from a young age. He provided some tidbits on each of the prospects scheduled to make the trip.

2023 four-star QB Gabarri Johnson, Tacoma (Wa.) Lincoln

"He's the No. 2 dual-threat nationally in 2023 and he really emerged this season in his first full-year as a starter. Like Maalik Murphy, he had to wait for a senior starter to graduate but stayed instead of living and had a strong year in a shortened season."

2023 four-star CB Caleb Presley, Sammamish (Wa.) Eastside Catholic

"The No. 4 player in Washington in the 2023 class, Presley started as a freshman on a loaded Eastside Catholic team that included four Army All-American's, three of them on defense, starting opposite four-star Ayden Hector, so he was thrown into the fire. Then this year, after graduation hit them, he really acquitted himself."

2023 four-star RB Jayden Limar, Lake Stevens (Wa.)

"He made a name for himself early with the top testing time at the Stack Sports Regional (formerly The Opening Regional) in Portland, then had a huge season, with five touchdowns in the season finale. A Top247, Limar comes from the same school as current Colts QB Jacob Eason.”

2023 five-star defensive end Jayden Wayne, Tacoma (Wa.) Lincoln

"The five-star 2023 defensive end, already an All-American, he has been offered by Pete Kwiatkowski now twice, once at Texas and once at Washington, when Wayne was the first 2023 prospect in the state offered by PK."

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

current Colts QB Jacob Eason.”

OT, sorry. The Colts qb room is setting up well for Ehlinger to win primary backup. They didn’t use Eason last year, and I would assume Sam’s pro game looks a lot more like Wentz than Eason’s does. Of course, he would need to outplay Eason who comes with a year of experience, and okay nvm I’ve changed my mind 

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

OT, sorry. The Colts qb room is setting up well for Ehlinger to win primary backup. They didn’t use Eason last year, and I would assume Sam’s pro game looks a lot more like Wentz than Eason’s does. Of course, he would need to outplay Eason who comes with a year of experience, and okay nvm I’ve changed my mind 

Dude take off the Ehlinger tinted glasses and look at this realistically 

On 5/21/2021 at 10:47 AM, Machinator said:

IT on Arch Manning

Hide contents

QB Arch Manning, Isidore Newman (New Orleans, LA) - 2023

June isn’t just a big month for recruiting the 2022 class, and it’s not just a big month because recruits are finally able to visit campuses. June is a huge month because it is a key period for a number of individual high profile recruitments.

Recruitments get no bigger than Arch Manning, heir to the Manning football throne.

Next month, Manning will make his way to Texas, Alabama, Clemson, Georgia and SMU. SMU is the oddball there, but Sonny Dykes is a family friend. Don’t be surprised if a couple more visits get squeezed in, or are added to the July itinerary.

It’s not set in stone, but in talking to three sources, the other schools comprise an unofficial top-four. Another constant in talking to sources, the family and Arch love Steve Sarkisian. The elders have been impressed with Sark dating back to this time at Washington. Arch raves about him currently, in about every way imaginable, from personality to having the quarterback skins on the wall and at the draft podium.

Where things break down a little in consistency of what IT has heard is the order of schools. Alabama seems to be a constant at the top. Georgia seems to be fourth but still very much in it. IT has heard from one source Clemson is right there with Alabama, but from another source that Texas is right there with Alabama.

When diving deeper on Texas vs Clemson, we’ve never heard Dabo mentioned as the quarterback whisperer Sarkisian is, and the Mannings are fond of the way Sark protects his quarterbacks with the running back in the run game, where as Dabo will run his QB at times.

As for Texas the school, IT has stated for some time the Mannings are fond of the school in general and Arch’s sister May was set to attend Texas before she was admitted to a prestigious program at UVA.

June is going to be massive for this recruitment. If Sark’s approval rating remains where it is now, or improves post-visit, watch out.

The Texas head coach checks a lot of boxes.

When diving deeper on Texas vs Clemson, we’ve never heard Dabo mentioned as the quarterback whisperer Sarkisian is, and the Mannings are fond of the way Sark protects his quarterbacks with the running back in the run game, where as Dabo will run his QB at times.

i mean...one guy is a QB coach and the other guy is a WR coach who also coached TEs.

betting nobody can name Clemson's QB coach off the top of their head. he took the job after Chad Morris left.

Spoiler

Wells

Spoiler

WR Johntay Cook, Desoto (Desoto) - 2023:

Each time I see Johntay Cook, his must-get status increases. The immense talent is undeniable.

At 6-foot, 170 pounds, the four-star with 32 offers would appear to favor Texas, Alabama, Ohio State, OU, and Baylor as the schools he’s currently catching the best vibe from.

"This off-season, I feel like I really improved, especially in my strength," Cook said. "I have to be a stronger receiver with the ability to run through tackles, blocking defensive backs, and hitting people. I need to be more dominant.”

Cook tallied 690 yards receiving on 43 catches, and 10 touchdowns in 2020, and his personal goals have increased while the team expectations remain the same.

“Team wise, we always want to win the state championship, " said Cook. "Personally, I want 1,500 yards and maybe 15 touchdowns in 2021."

He'll see Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor, OU, LSU, and Alabama unofficially this summer. Most schools’ message to the four-star playmaker?

"They all basically say the same thing about me being a dynamic player, that I can play anywhere on the field, and how they'd love to have me in their offense," said Cook.

What are the most important things he needs to see during his summer trips across the country?

"I'm really just looking to see what it's like on campus," Cook explained. "Relationships with the coaches, feeling their vibe, asking some of their players how it really is on the inside of the program, and just see if it's a place I want to be."

He’ll be in Austin on June 12th, with his text buddies, Arch Manning (2023 QB, Isidore Newman, New Orleans) and Rueben Owens (2023 RB, El Campo).

“Me, Arch, and Rueben have a group chat," said Cook. "We stay in touch, chop it up, getting to know each other.”

“Ready to go down there. I grew up a Texas fan, and want to see more. I saw a little at the spring game, but I didn't really get to experience the whole visit process like going to the locker room, talking to the coaches and players."

Stay the course, Sark.

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Severely underthrew him, just like the pass to Dixon in the bowl game. 

I like Casey. He’s a horn like us. But even as a quarterback imbecile, I had the same thought. Damn, that receiver had to hold up. Could have ordered Dominos on the 20 yard line. 

1 hour ago, TexasEx said:

I like Casey. He’s a horn like us. But even as a quarterback imbecile, I had the same thought. Damn, that receiver had to hold up. Could have ordered Dominos on the 20 yard line. 

Is it unusual for a QB not to throw a perfectly timed touch pass to a WR he hasn't played with before the video? 

Edited by pacman

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If you enjoy this, venture to the recruiting board. 

I'm tempted to neg the fuck out of you for this, because either you have no clue where you are, or much much worse, you're advocating for football board people to visit the recruiting board, and for that you can get all the way fucked and stay fucked. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm tempted to neg the fuck out of you for this, because either you have no clue where you are, or much much worse, you're advocating for football board people to visit the recruiting board, and for that you can get all the way fucked and stay fucked. 

Why? This board could use some new blood, it's getting old watching y'all bleed out your vaginas about every little thing.

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Why? This board could use some new blood, it's getting old watching y'all bleed out your vaginas about every little thing.

Is there any doubt this moron would have about 6,533 less rep pts rn if he had some generic quasi Texas related avatar?

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Is there any doubt this moron would have about 6,533 less rep pts rn if he had some generic quasi Texas related avatar?

unlikely. Most of my rep doesn't come from cloak room but other parts of the board. But your reactions and responses when I call the recruitniks here bleeding vaginas only further proves my point that you need max flow tampons. I mean it's only a handful of y'all that are overly sensitive and it's generally the same ones with the negative rep everytime.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

As a courtesy, I'll actually answer this question seriously. 

Because the average motherfucker on the football board is stupid as fuck, and they'll stumble in here asking stupid fucking questions with no understanding of recruiting at all, and they will have zero fucking desire to sit and lurk and learn. They'll just bleed their fucking stupidity everywhere and ruin everything. Which is why a number of us go out of our way to avoid the fucking football board. 

You'd bitch and fucking moan like no one's business if someone went and drafted a bunch of Cloak Room posters to come here and regularly give their bullshit political thoughts on recruiting. That's how many of us, MANY of us, feel about the football board. But go ahead dude, fuck around and find out. 6k in rep would be a challenge, but I'm pretty sure you'd have some real motivated folks to give it a shot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

As a courtesy, I'll actually answer this question seriously. 

Because the average motherfucker on the football board is stupid as fuck, and they'll stumble in here asking stupid fucking questions with no understanding of recruiting at all, and they will have zero fucking desire to sit and lurk and learn. They'll just bleed their fucking stupidity everywhere and ruin everything. Which is why a number of us go out of our way to avoid the fucking football board. 

You'd bitch and fucking moan like no one's business if someone went and drafted a bunch of Cloak Room posters to come here and regularly give their bullshit political thoughts on recruiting. That's how many of us, MANY of us, feel about the football board. But go ahead dude, fuck around and find out. 6k in rep would be a challenge, but I'm pretty sure you'd have some real motivated folks to give it a shot. 

Calm down, the same is true conversely with the average recruiting board poster when they venture to the football board. It's actually quite the interesting dynamic of this board.

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

unlikely. Most of my rep doesn't come from cloak room but other parts of the board. But your reactions and responses when I call the recruitniks here bleeding vaginas only further proves my point that you need max flow tampons. I mean it's only a handful of y'all that are overly sensitive and it's generally the same ones with the negative rep everytime.

I love how you missed his point completely, and somehow attempted to link it to Cloak Room posting for rep. What he was trying to say was THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE REP YOUR POSTS IS BECAUSE THEY LIKE YOUR AVATAR. I'm not sure how you conflated that with CR, but well, you are a football board regular so I don't think anyone is surprised. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

I love how you missed his point completely, and somehow attempted to link it to Cloak Room posting for rep. What he was trying to say was THE ONLY REASON PEOPLE REP YOUR POSTS IS BECAUSE THEY LIKE YOUR AVATAR. I'm not sure how you conflated that with CR, but well, you are a football board regular so I don't think anyone is surprised. 

Oh shit! Let me post a 10 second Twitter clip of a recruit at a camp! That will help my clout in the recruiting board!

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Calm down, the same is true conversely with the average recruiting board poster when they venture to the football board. It's actually quite the interesting dynamic of this board.

Yeah, people should be more like BO&W who shows he has no fucking clue about football or recruiting by posting his dumbass opinions on both boards. 

• Hook 'Em 6