This is the Jeopardy! Thread of Encompassment [RIP Alex Trebek]

I thought Ken did a good job today as well. Supposedly he's filmed 30 episodes already, so it'll be interesting to see how he develops as a host. I think I also had read that Katie Couric had recorded 5 episodes after Ken.

I think Jennings has been doing a good job.  The anecdotes about Trebek at the beginning of the show seem appropriate , at least for a little while.  The "thanks, Alex" sign-off was fine the first time, but I hope its not an every time thing. 

Looks like they have a line-up of host coming:

Producers of the long-running game show announced Wednesday that Katie Couric, Aaron Rodgers, Bill Whitaker and Mayim Bialik will serve as guest hosts this season, replacing Alex Trebek.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Chet Steadman said:

Next up: Katie Couric, Aaron Rodgers, Mayim Bialik (had no idea she was Blossom until I looked it up right now,) and Bill Whitaker.

Whitaker should be a great one.

Still hoping for a Dan Patrick and Mike Rowe appearance at some point.

Beat me to it.

I'm concerned about using hosts with big personalities.  Patrick and Rowe can be that, but also can reel it back when necessary.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2021 at 9:38 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I think Jennings has been doing a good job.  The anecdotes about Trebek at the beginning of the show seem appropriate , at least for a little while.  The "thanks, Alex" sign-off was fine the first time, but I hope its not an every time thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeopardy! champion Brayden Smith has died. The Las Vegas native was 24.

According to Smith's obituary, the game show contestant, who graduated from the University of Nevada, Las Vegas with a degree in economics in 2020, passed away on Feb. 5. No cause of death has been shared at this time.

Smith's mother, Debbie Smith, confirmed the news in a Feb. 12 post on Twitter, writing, "We are heartbroken to share that our dear Brayden Smith recently passed away unexpectedly. We are so grateful that Brayden was able to live out his dream on @jeopardy."

Smith's obituary details his passion for Jeopardy!, where he was hailed as the late host Alex Trebek's "Last Great Champion." Smith was one of the final contestants to appear on Jeopardy! prior to Trebek's death from pancreatic cancer in November of last year.

"The best part of it for me was spending time with him," Smith said during a Jeopardy! interview in January. "To finally be on stage with somebody that I've seen five nights a week every week for over a decade was really a dream come true."

Smith won $115,798 during his five-game winning streak. He was planning to compete on the show's Tournament of Champions. 

In a statement, Jeopardy! told E! News, "The Jeopardy! family is heartbroken by the tragic loss of Brayden Smith. He was kind, funny and absolutely brilliant. Our deepest condolences go out to Brayden's family. He will be missed."

spacer.png

13 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Sidetrack for a minute, any of you watch Celebrity Wheel of Fortune tonight? Nothing important, but I’ll spoiler it anyway.  

Hide contents

Black dude was a goddamn idiot, Jennie Garth is still looking good when all made up. 

Haha, saw that...couldn't solve  DIS__SSING IT WITH MY IMAGINARY FRIEND.  I want to say he guessed a P at that point.

• Like 1

I guess I can agree that the new guy is "smoother" than Ken, but at the same time, he felt almost generic, and unaffiliated with the show, even though that is obviously not the case. Like they had brought in a generic Ryan Seacrest type or something. 

Regardless of who the next permanent host is, I think it's a very shrewd move to have a bunch of different guest hosts as a sort of buffer between the Alex-era and whatever comes next. It's always impossible to follow a legend (has it *ever* worked in the coaching world?) and this approach will help cut back on impossible and unfair comparisons for whoever it eventually is. 

• Like 1

New guy has done it a little before. 

These days, Richards is known more for his work behind the scenes, but he has hosted on numerous TV shows, including the WB reality shows High School Reunion and Beauty and the Geek, the Reelz movie news program Dailies, and the GSN game shows The Pyramid and Divided.

• Hook 'Em 1
On 2/18/2021 at 6:09 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Filmed 5 episodes a day, twice a week. Not a bad schedule, but long days.