Texas opens as a 10.5 point underdog v Oklahoma

TexasMan

Longhorn Blitz released a podcast of old players interviews about The Red River [redacted].

There's some good stuff on here. You can just hear in their voices how much they still hate OU and the competitive juices just keep flowing. Kwame Cavill had my favorite stories IMO. 

Listen to Earl Thomas, Roy Williams, Kasey Studdard, B.J. Johnson and other former Longhorns players share stories and memories from the Texas-OU 

https://traffic.megaphone.fm/CBS2204253508.mp3

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TexasMan said:

Longhorn Blitz released a podcast of old players interviews about OU.  You can just hear in their voices how much they still hate OU.  Kwame Cavill had my favorite stories IMO.  Listen to Earl Thomas, Roy Williams, Kasey Studdard, B.J. Johnson and others  share stories & memories from  Texas-OU 

https://traffic.megaphone.fm/CBS2204253508.mp3

Thx... Great Stuff.  Hodges Mitchell was Funny too

13 hours ago, Glenn Quagmire Pilot said:

The truth be told, I am actually quite the incredible person. I was born deaf, yet I can hear. I taught myself how to fly when I was five years old, I killed my first man when I was seven, and I was a published Author by my 13th birthday. By the time I was 30 I had already served 12 years in prison, into this day haven’t lost a single game of chess in the United States Penal institutions.

Beside from that, points and yards given Up are very accurate indicators as to where a defense is.

Giggity, get the fuck out of here, Glenn.

IT

A couple of times a year the preview coverage from Ian and Paul stands out to me just a little bit more. During those weeks, much of what they prescribe is what comes up in my conversations with team sources. This is one of those weeks.

Big takeaways from practice?
Tuesday was physical as usual; probably an 8 on a scale of 1-10. OU is clearly the best team since LSU but they feel like they match-up really well. I think they had a good week making sure everybody was on the same page.

How did Collin look? Any rust?
He's feeling good, no setbacks. Won't know about rust until the game but he and Ehlinger seemed to be in rhythm. Getting him back as a blocker is a big. Having him drawing attention is big.

Did anyone else return?
DeMarvion Overshown came back. He's hitting like normal. He had a huge hit on Tuesday that shook him up a bit. [laughing] He's in the green non-contact jersey and laying the wood. He and BJ are just wired to hit no matter how banged up they are.

They really are dogs. No surprise returns, huh?
Nope.

Who gets the start at running back, Keaontay Ingram or Roschon Johnson?
I'm sure Ingram. He's played in the game before but you'll see liberal use of Roschon. He's seeing the hole well and hitting it.

I'm curious how Jalen Hurts is viewed as a runner. Compare him to Sam Ehlinger.
Pretty good. He's not Kyler but he has good vision and speed. Faster in open space than Sam. We'll find out if he's as tough.

How is he viewed as a passer?
He gets anxious when his first read isn't open which, granted, doesn't happen all that often. They do a great job keeping him comfortable and when they do he can make the throws but if the read isn't there he wants to pull the ball and get downhill; he pulls his eyes down. That's a big difference between he and Kyler who was always looking downfield. If Hurts makes a play behind the line with his legs then finds someone open downfield somebody blew an assignment in coverage. They'll have to be wide open for Hurts to find them.

It's pretty clear to me and the brain trust at IT that the staff employed the hybrid dime/nickel defense versus WVU for the OU game. That's an interesting look, offering you the best of both worlds. What's the thinking there?
You have to stop the run first and the linebackers are coming on. It's also easy to give your corners help. With the injuries this gets the best personnel on the field.

Similar personnel to last week? Ossai at the quasi-nickel?
Yeah, Brandon Jones is technically the nickel but Ossai does a bit of everything. BJ at boundary, Brown at joker, and Jones to the field. Those guys will be playing all over, though.

Talk about the linebackers.
This is a huge week for them playing the run. I don't think OU can run inside this year so Ossai should have a busy day stringing runs out wide. Mitchell at Mac gets better every day. His ability to read and react is the best we've seen in Austin in years. He consistently beats offensive linemen to their spots. It gives the appearance he's really athletic. He's a good athlete, he just plays really fast. We haven't seen it in a long time. Dele's solid, a bit inconsistent this week but getting better.

Oklahoma has some issues on the offensive line. They're banged up and they turned over four starters.
They're viewed as still being talented, just inexperienced with more technical issues than normal. I'm not sure their bread and butter is going to work against this d-line. That line isn't what they've had in the past but they aren't bad. The Texas defensive line matches up well, though, and there will be opportunities to highlight their inexperience.

Along with stopping the run getting pressure on Hurts is another key. We know Orlando likes to blitz.
They have some new things in and some old things in, for the run too, but it's not like they put in a ton of blitzes. They'll try and bring the athletic guys at time but the goal will be to get them in 3rd and long and get the Cowboy package on the field.

What about on offense?
Get after them. I think you'll see much more cohesive play calling that spreads the ball around with a good run/pass mix. They're not sure OU can take anything away, for long at least. Getting Collin back is big. They want to be physical across the board -- from the receivers to the offensive line. I'm not expecting any quarters like the 3rd in Morgantown.

On the whole what are the thoughts on OU?
Beatable.

There seems to be a lot of confidence emanating from the team, at least from the limited player availabilties.
They did break character a bit didn't they. Rivalry week I suppose. It's confidence in the offense and being more physical overall.

What's your personal confidence?
Pretty high. I have faith in the players executing good game plans.

If UT doesn't pull off the win, what went wrong?
OU ran the ball, UT missed tackles in space, they lost their receiver in play action. Didn't get off the field on 3rd down. I think the offense will do enough to where the defense just has to play well, not even great. If the offense struggles or is uncharacteristic with turnovers, well, it's gonna be tough. I don't anticipate that happening, though.

• Like 4

Lulz. See my first post.
Filtering out garbage time and adjusting for strength of opponent is not “getting into the minutia.” 

our defense wasn’t great last year and it isn’t great this year, but neither was anywhere near bottom 100.
I hate to bring math or counting into a good smackdown, but technically if there are 129 FBS teams then anything ranked #30 or lower is considered to be in the "bottom 100".

Carry on.

2 minutes ago, Modessit said:

I hate to bring math or counting into a good smackdown, but technically if there are 129 FBS teams then anything ranked #30 or lower is considered to be in the "bottom 100".

Carry on.

I was using the term OP used. It’s pretty clear what he meant if you have even a little bit of reading comprehension skills.

Carry on.

I was using the term OP used. It’s pretty clear what he meant if you have even a little bit of reading comprehension skills.

Carry on.
I do have reading comprehension skills which is why I put "bottom 100" in quotes - which is what you should have done to emphasize that his terminology was incorrect. Instead you participated in his stupidity. Don't do that.

On 10/6/2019 at 4:28 PM, Thetexashammer said:

if the read isn't there he wants to pull the ball and get downhill; he pulls his eyes down. That's a big difference between he and Kyler who was always looking downfield. If Hurts makes a play behind the line with his legs then finds someone open downfield somebody blew an assignment in coverage. They'll have to be wide open for Hurts to find them.

All those years of SECx3 QB coaching are really paying off.

Edited by sushihorn

8 minutes ago, bluto said:

Wildass stat

Behind the bama OL in 17, Hurts took 24 sacks vs 254 pass attempts.... he looked rocky at times vs ku pressure last wk

Sam took 26 on 425 last yr for comparison

(Both qb’s are around 5% this year)

Sam wa'nt playin in the goldang SECSECSEC ya stupid sip

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

That article has an awful lot of words to reach the basic conclusion that could have been reached in one sentence: OU/Texas is the rivalry game in which the underdog covers the spread most often.

I kind of enjoy Banner Society's house style, with lots of digressions and clear love of general cfb weirdness. It's entertaining.

Edited by texifornia