My order from best to worst hire looking at combined recruiting and coaching:

1. Yurcich - pretty good

2. Coleman - pretty good

3. Boulware - pretty good

4. Ash - ok

5. Valai - questionable

6. Hutzler - questionable

7. Hagen - questionable

1. Yurcich - Great hire.  If Herman will let him be this will be fantastic.   

2. Boulware - Solid hire. Sooners were ready for him to leave but he’s been productive at ST, TE and RB for them.  Give him Hullaby or Sanders in the 21 class and see if he can make a Millard. 

3. Hutzler - Solid hire.  Been around big name coaches and have a lot of them backing his work  

4. Coleman - Good hire (would be higher if we would’ve fucking done this earlier and kept QJ).  Players seem to love him.  

5. Ash - OK hire with potential to be good.  I think simplifying our D and putting athletes in position to be athletes will make for decent turnaround (i.e. Ossai hand in ground, DO to LB, both of which got moved quickly after arrival.  Good sign there) 

6. Valai - Cautious optimism of good.  I like his energy and connections.  Dunno if he can coach for shit but I think kids will buy into him a lot like they have with Huff being around.  

7. Hagen - No clue.  I think Herman took some shots for bigger names and lost out to truly better spots (i.e Okam to NFL). Just have to see how this one plays out

44 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

1. Yurcich - Great hire.  If Herman will let him be this will be fantastic.   

2. Boulware - Solid hire. Sooners were ready for him to leave but he’s been productive at ST, TE and RB for them.  Give him Hullaby or Sanders in the 21 class and see if he can make a Millard. 

3. Hutzler - Solid hire.  Been around big name coaches and have a lot of them backing his work  

4. Coleman - Good hire (would be higher if we would’ve fucking done this earlier and kept QJ).  Players seem to love him.  

5. Ash - OK hire with potential to be good.  I think simplifying our D and putting athletes in position to be athletes will make for decent turnaround (i.e. Ossai hand in ground, DO to LB, both of which got moved quickly after arrival.  Good sign there) 

6. Valai - Cautious optimism of good.  I like his energy and connections.  Dunno if he can coach for shit but I think kids will buy into him a lot like they have with Huff being around.  

7. Hagen - No clue.  I think Herman took some shots for bigger names and lost out to truly better spots (i.e Okam to NFL). Just have to see how this one plays out

1) Yurcich - applying the caveat that Herman actually works with him to construct thoughtful gameplans and then let's him call the game and tempo.

2) Hutzler - there are folks who believe this guy is an up and comer and a strong recruiter.

3) Boulware - I like taking this guy from OU and bringing him home. He's got a good ST rep along with recruiting acumen.

4) Ash - comfort hire and a lunkhead, but Herman has proven he could do a lot worse. I'm at the point of viewing mediocrity as valued progress within the Texas football/AD program. Orlando became a frightening fucking joke, kind of like Ash as a personnel manager and head coach. I'm hoping the theory that bad HCs can still be amazeballs coordinators proves itself out with this guy.

5) Coleman - this hire could have happened quickly if this was who Herman wanted. It wasn't. In reality, Herman whiffed multiple times on other targets, then farted promptly into his own closed hand, lifted it up to his nose as he closed his eyes, released the odor bomb and saw Coleman's name through the mist. Blech, meh, eh. Those claiming he's some sort of solid recruiter are wishcasting. We have no fucking idea whether or not this guy can recruit, but I'm crossing my fingers with everyone else.

6) Hagen - 27 years of proven mediocrity is quite the standard in which we're now aspiring within the program. On the other hand, if this guy is the replacement for, say, Derek Warehime, then, uh, sign me up? At least we now have 5 assistants on defense. So, in effect, this guy matters in the form of having mass and taking up space. 

7) Valai - there is no justification whatsoever for this hire that makes any sense except for the premise that he's going to be an aggressive bag man. That's hopefully what's going on. If it is, however, the early results aren't promising. He shows up and decides to recruit Ennis Rakestraw, who then sprints immediately into the waiting arms of ... Missouri? Holy fucking shit. (Charlie) Strong start for this guy. 

People can say what they like, but if OU had a defensive staff of Smoldering Ash, Hustle Never Sleeps, Mother Hutzler, J'ai Alai, and Tom Hagen, we'd all be high-fiving and proclaiming our intellectual superiority. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Yeah, what if it’s an UP YEAR?!?

It might be it might not be, but do we really know?

40 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, in effect, this guy matters in the form of having mass and taking up space. 

lol,  I tweeted this to him.

42 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Yurcich - applying the caveat that Herman actually works with him to construct thoughtful gameplans and then let's him call the game and tempo.

2) Hutzler - there are folks who believe this guy is an up and comer and a strong recruiter.

3) Boulware - I like taking this guy from OU and bringing him home. He's got a good ST rep along with recruiting acumen.

4) Ash - comfort hire and a lunkhead, but Herman has proven he could do a lot worse. I'm at the point of viewing mediocrity as valued progress within the Texas football/AD program. Orlando became a frightening fucking joke, kind of like Ash as a personnel manager and head coach. I'm hoping the theory that bad HCs can still be amazeballs coordinators proves itself out with this guy.

5) Coleman - this hire could have happened quickly if this was who Herman wanted. It wasn't. In reality, Herman whiffed multiple times on other targets, then farted promptly into his own closed hand, lifted it up to his nose as he closed his eyes, released the odor bomb and saw Coleman's name through the mist. Blech, meh, eh. Those claiming he's some sort of solid recruiter are wishcasting. We have no fucking idea whether or not this guy can recruit, but I'm crossing my fingers with everyone else.

6) Hagen - 27 years of proven mediocrity is quite the standard in which we're now aspiring within the program. On the other hand, if this guy is the replacement for, say, Derek Warehime, then, uh, sign me up? At least we now have 5 assistants on defense. So, in effect, this guy matters in the form of having mass and taking up space. 

7) Valai - there is no justification whatsoever for this hire that makes any sense except for the premise that he's going to be an aggressive bag man. That's hopefully what's going on. If it is, however, the early results aren't promising. He shows up and decides to recruit Ennis Rakestraw, who then sprints immediately into the waiting arms of ... Missouri? Holy fucking shit. (Charlie) Strong start for this guy. 

People can say what they like, but if OU had a defensive staff of Smoldering Ash, Hustle Never Sleeps, Mother Hutzler, J'ai Alai, and Tom Hagen, we'd all be high-fiving and proclaiming our intellectual superiority. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9563481 

Valai is still basically a first-time position coach when it comes to major college football. And, yes, he was on Chris Ash's staff at Rutgers, which basically means to find a redder flag, you'd have to have dead bodies involved.

But I gotta say, the rhetoric regarding his appearances so far doesn't match the lack of experience. There are a lot of people "in the biz" who are high as hell on him. Here's hoping it isn't all hot air.

37 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Valai is still basically a first-time position coach when it comes to major college football. And, yes, he was on Chris Ash's staff at Rutgers, which basically means to find a redder flag, you'd have to have dead bodies involved.

But I gotta say, the rhetoric regarding his appearances so far doesn't match the lack of experience. There are a lot of people "in the biz" who are high as hell on him. Here's hoping it isn't all hot air.

We’re in the Manny Diaz honeymoon phase, where we pop pants tents based on things like stage presence and interview snippets.

enjoy this high water mark.

23 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Let's face it, we all do this irregardless.

I mean, maybe you found her to be a challenge? I know the rest of us haven’t.

Yes, but we’ve all found her stimulating. Not mentally, but other parts.

22 hours ago, Goodman said:

Since Jay’s new to Texas someone really should pull him aside and tell him a man’s boots make a statement and for him that statement is he’s a titty dancer

2 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

Since Jay’s new to Texas someone really should pull him aside and tell him a man’s boots make a statement and for him that statement is he’s a titty dancer

New to Texas? Jay has lived in Texas longer than anywhere else.

32 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

I come to this thread for discussions about manly footwear.

Gary P Nunn talk not going away.

11 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Did Casey Horny survive the purge? Is he still on staff?

Still around. Didn't you see how awesome our special teams were last year? He's a critical piece of the puzzle.

5 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Special teams got raped and nobody said a thing.

He’s still here.

Incredible. Like the cockroach, a survivor. Must have something on Mensa. 

3 hours ago, Nowhichski said:

Incredible. Like the cockroach, a survivor. Must have something on Mensa. 

Yes, the ‘sonething’ is that he’s Herman’s best (only) friend and has been since their time together on Mack’s staff. 

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Withers should have been our DB coach. Why would he be an offensive analyst? Hasn’t he spent his entire career on defense? 

Withers should have been our DB coach. Why would he be an offensive analyst? Hasn’t he spent his entire career on defense? 
Maybe to help teach the offense how to attack the defense where it's the weakest?

Maybe his job is to self scout our own offense to find those tells everyone finds on us. It also could just be a mistake on the reporting. 

Hopefully Jay listens to Withers. It's a very smart hire by Herman to get Everett on the staff when your CB coach is so young.

Maybe his job is to self scout our own offense to find those tells everyone finds on us. It also could just be a mistake on the reporting. 

If they needed someone to self scout the offense, Herman could sign up here and use that position on something else.

This is example number fifty billion that people’s ability to recruit talent is based upon their own position in the talent heirarchy.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-Tom-Herman-hires-analysts-Dave-Huxtable-Everett-Withers-Corby-Meekins-Houston-tight-ends-143935209/

Source: Herman adds Huxtable, Withers as Longhorns' analysts

By CHIP BROWN 3 hours ago

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas coach Tom Herman has hired former N.C. State defensive coordinator Dave Huxtable as a defensive analyst as well as former Longhorns’ assistant and former Texas State head coach Everett Withers as an offensive analyst, sources told Horns247.com.

Huxtable coached linebackers at Wisconsin in 2011 when Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash ran the Badgers’ defense.  A longtime defensive coordinator, Huxtable has run defenses at Western Kentucky (1989), Georgia Tech (1996-97), North Carolina (2002-03), Central Florida (2008-10), Pittsburgh (2012) and most recently N.C. State (2013-19).   Huxtable is a confidante of Ash whose name came up when Texas was making assistant coaching hires on defense.

The hiring of Withers as an offensive analyst holds some intrigue considering Withers has been a defensive coach the majority of his coaching career, including as secondary coach under Mack Brown at Texas from 1998-2000 before moving on to the Tennessee Titans (2001-06).  Herman and Withers coached together at Ohio State in 2012 and 2013, when Herman was the offensive coordinator and Withers coached defensive backs for the Buckeyes.  Withers took over as head coach at James Madison in 2014, going 9-4 that season and 9-3 in 2015, before becoming the head coach at Texas State in 2016. Withers was dismissed as the Bobcats’ head coach after the 2018 season with a 7-28 record.  Withers was hired as the defensive coordinator at Florida International in 2019 but left before coaching a game to become the defensive backs coach of the New York Giants. But after the 2019 season, Giants' head coach Pat Shurmur was fired, and his staff was let go.  Withers last coached on the offensive side of the ball in 1990 as the receivers coach at Austin Peay.

------------------------------------------------------

Houston coach Dana Holgorsen also announced on Monday that Corby Meekins, who spent the past five seasons as an assistant coach to Tom Herman, has been hired to coach tight ends and inside receivers for the Cougars.  After coaching tight ends at Texas in 2017, Meekins coached inside receivers in 2018 and 2019 before moving into an administrative position at Texas in December.

Meekins returns to Houston, where he spent the 2015 and 2016 seasons as tight ends/fullbacks coach under Herman. He will be responsible for Houston's tight ends and the Y-receiver position, Holgorsen announced.  Meekins, the former head coach at Houston Westfield High School, helped Herman recruit former Westfield star defensive linemen Ed Oliver (to Houston) and Keondre Coburn (to Texas) as well as former Westfield running back Daniel Young to Texas.  Meekins spent 15 seasons at Westfield High School in Houston, including 11 years as head coach. He guided Westfield to seven district championships and 10 playoff appearances. He also served on the Texas High School Coaches Association Board of Directors from 2009-12 and was a part of the Executive Board of Directors for the Greater Houston Football Coaches Association from 2009-15.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Any other journeyman coaches need a paycheck? 

I’m neither a journeyman nor a coach but am always after a paycheck.   Or Herman could hire John embree.   Actually I don’t think the analysts get paid