Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

So what's the estimate for 1,000,000

I mean the growth has slowed from 10x, 10x, 5x, 2x, 2x, 1.5x, 1.33x, 1.25x
Then again, how much of this is relate to how many tests were administered?
I'll say we reach 1,000,000 by Monday 

Check your days. Added 100k from 3/21 to 3/24, then added the next 100k from 3/24 to 3/26, a day less. 

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Are you applying for a rodeo permit?

Maybe.  My own private rodeo.

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Yes. Our presiding judge has said the only way he is closing the courts is if the Chief Justice of the CA supreme court or the Gov orders it. Only 2 parties that can order state wide closures. Their respective decisions up to this point, have been to let each county decide how they want to handle it. 

That seems entirely inconsistent with the Governor's lock-down order for the rest of the state.  Stay as safe as you can. 

• Like 1

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I’m supposed to board the last plane taking Americans back to the USA. It’s not a commercial airline but a charter company that was hired by the US Department of State (I think). Just getting to the airport is gonna be a shitshow.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

days. Added 100k from 3/21 to 3/24, then added the next 100k

Ahh - I wasn't paying close enough attention to the gap in days - only that the base was growing.
All that said, without knowing how many tests were being processed it is really not possible to actually determine what that is telling us. 
If the number of tests when up from 1,000 to 1,000,000 to 10,00,000 then it is different than if each represents 1,000,000 tests.

1 minute ago, XYZ said:

Wish me luck. Tomorrow I’m supposed to board the last plane taking Americans back to the USA. It’s not a commercial airline but a charter company that was hired by the US Department of State (I think). Just getting to the airport is gonna be a shitshow.

closing valentines day GIF by NETFLIX

but seriously. Good luck. 

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Where are you located?

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

We know damn well that China is grossly underreporting so in 24 hours they can say "See, things are worse in the West.  Those decadent, capitalist pigs."

Never mind that Italy has been of the most leftist countries in Europe for years.

So you're saying we aren't number one?

Just now, dcar00 said:

this kind of stuff bugs me.  every country, shit every doctor has different testing criteria.  "The pandemic is increasing at an exponential rate" is NOT the way to message this.

He's a CNN guy (no CR). All the media are having a wet dream right now because people are looking at them.

10 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Keep yer head down.

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

this kind of stuff bugs me.  every country, shit every doctor has different testing criteria.  "The pandemic is increasing at an exponential rate" is NOT the way to message this.

"testing is increasing at an exponential rate."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Jeez, 140 infected in the Faroe Islands. I was just thinking, "Where is somewhat safe that I would actually want to go?" Apparently, the answer is "nowhere".

how do you feel about the cold?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/24/one-continent-remains-untouched-by-coronavirus-antarctica/

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Well the graph is confirmed cases.  Meaning that testing was done.   Sure countries use different tests but are you saying it's not exponential because of false positives?  Because if the number of cases are under counted (by far the most likely scenario)... it's still exponential growth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

He's a CNN guy (no CR). All the media are having a wet dream right now because people are looking at them.

yeah but he was quoting(assuming it is accurate) the WHO guy.  I'll assume the WHO guy doesn't have an agenda to get TV time.

https://www.wweek.com/news/schools/2020/03/26/oregons-virtual-charter-schools-are-the-definition-of-social-distancing-the-state-shut-them-down-anyway/

Oregon’s Virtual Charter Schools Are the Definition of Social Distancing. The State Shut Them Down Anyway.

Students who already learned from home are now deprived of their education because brick-and-mortar schools are closed.

...Thanks to the statewide shutdown, those online charters now offer teaching that Oregon's public schools cannot.

The Oregonian previously reported that online instruction is unlikely to become available to all public school students, given that districts are unprepared to serve all students, including those that speak other languages or have special needs.

One potential concern for school districts: Because online charter schools already have fully developed curricula that can serve idle students right away, parents of children who attend brick-and-mortar schools might be inclined to transfer their students to the virtual schools.

That could have budget consequences for traditional schools because they are funded based on enrollment. If enrollment goes down, funding goes down as well.

The ODE memo explicitly calls out that problem.

"Enrollment of new students to virtual public charter schools during the closure would impact school funding for districts across Oregon and therefore may impact the distribution of state school funds and delivery of services as directed under the executive order," the agency said in its guidance to districts....

16 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Thank you for not ending that sentence with at, Jesus.  Drives me nuts.

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Where does it drive you to?

you know the rule about ending a sentence with a preposition is completely made up right?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away