2018 Texas Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

5 hours ago, Fletch said:

So what's the tv/streaming options for the k-st series? Am I going to have to watch it on some shitty half ass streaming network they have? 

The first game tomorrow night (Thursday) is on some local Cox cable channel in Kansas. Not sure if we'll be able to watch that one. The Friday night and Saturday games will be on watchESPN.

After winning 7 of 8, I'd convinced myself that all those losses to LSU, Stanford, and Arkansas just meant that we weren't ready to compete with top ten teams, but since we were beating the teams we were supposed to beat, sometimes easily, maybe we were a fringe top 25 team with a chance to win a regional.  Yeah, bullshit.  

37 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

AS A FRESHMAN (2015)
Finished the season with a .742 OPS in 146 plate appearances on the year … second on the team in batting average (.294) and third in on-base percentage (.377)

http://texassports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=6691

Feel bad for Joe.   Injuries began  soph year (ankle, knee, iirc) and continued (shoulder surgery last March).

Regardless,  not a fit for Pierce.   Hope he attains UT Degree. 

1 hour ago, torre said:

Feel bad for Joe.   Injuries began  soph year (ankle, knee, iirc) and continued (shoulder surgery last March).

Regardless,  not a fit for Pierce.   Hope he attains UT Degree. 

Wasn't a fit for Augie either. From what I remember, he was suspended a couple times under Augie too. 

Seems like a kid with some maturity issues. Not a good look when you have issues with 2 separate coaching staffs. 

Edited by texasstrong12

50 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Wasn't a fit for Augie either. From what I remember, he was suspended a couple times under Augie too. 

Seems like a kid with some maturity issues. Not a good look when you have issues with 2 separate coaching staffs. 

I recall one suspension for an alcohol incident.    Joe Baker does seem to have attitude/maturity issues.   Seems to be a "little hot dog" - but so was CJ Hinojosa.

My reference to "fit" meaning that he received no playing time other than pinch hit/pinch run,  not even in "mop-up" time.    Perhaps he was still having shoulder issues,  though it was sufficient recovery time (March) for arthroscopic surgery.   If healthy,  not showing much respect for a redshirt junior who has battled injuries for 2 years.  Hamilton played 2d with a bad shoulder.    Pierce seems to prefer power hitters, 1-9.  Baker is a singles guy.

Perhaps there was an off-field incident in Manhattan this past weekend that warranted termination instead of suspension ?

Baker would have preferred to leave/transfer with the others.   His Dad is a Duke grad,  probably would not approve.    Like I stated,  hope he attains the UT Degree.     

Not sure how the ballpark normally plays but last year all you had to do was lift one to left field and the ball would get out. I still remember the game last year because I was amazed at how much the ball was carrying. This Shaw grand slam looked like a normal fly out off the bat. 

Edited by texasstrong12

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not sure how the ballpark normally plays but last year all you had to do was lift one to left field and the ball would get out. I still remember the game last year because I was amazed at how much the ball was carrying. This Shaw grand slam looked like a normal fly out off the bat. 

Wind blows out straight to left 30+ mph 90% of the time.  

Horns play in CS next Tuesday.  Anyone here brave enough to go?  I'm thinking about rounding up some tickets.

I’m going, I think my gf who doesn’t care is going too. Already have tickets. Doc said no, something about having to work on Wednesday.

So if I'm looking at this correctly, we are 3-5 in opening games of multi-game series.  The breakdown:

Kingham 2-1

Shugart 0-1

O'Donnell 1-0

Ridgeway 0-1

Henley 0-2

So, keep starting Kingham on Fridays?  What an odd season.  We seem to be doing OK midweek but struggle getting out of the gate on weekends.