My families Great American Adventure

Wulaw Horn

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

What road freaks you out on the way to Breck?  If you can't handle I-70 and Highway 9, you should probably skip Colorado.  You'll lose your mind driving around Durango, Telluride, Ouray, Aspen, etc.

Just pull off every so often to let people pass and you'll be fine.  Don't be that asshole who stacks up traffic 100 cars deep when there is no passing lane.

40 over the mountain.  I said Breck but I meant winter park.  

Yeah, I'm planning on avoiding Colorado. That's why I was asking if there is a northern interstate route that isn't mountainous.  I'm fine with avoiding everything you are talking about.  Scares me in a car. No way I want any part of that in a 35 foot RV.

39 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

He’s probably talking about the back way through Fairplay.  If you go that way, you go through Raton Pass and Hoosier Pass.  And as you noted, if you are uneasy with that route, just take 35 north to 70.

Hoosier Pass is still nothing terrible unless it's snowing.  That's just mountain driving.  Lots of other passes are equally bad, and some (like Independence) are far worse than Hoosier.

17 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

40 over the mountain.  I said Breck but I meant winter park.  

Yeah, I'm planning on avoiding Colorado. That's why I was asking if there is a northern interstate route that isn't mountainous.  I'm fine with avoiding everything you are talking about.  Scares me in a car. No way I want any part of that in a 35 foot RV.

Berthoud scares you?  Seriously, if you have problems with Berthoud, you probably shouldn't be driving in the mountains.  Not trying to be a dick, but Berthoud is a piece of cake unless it's snowing.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Hoosier Pass is still nothing terrible unless it's snowing.  That's just mountain driving.  Lots of other passes are equally bad, and some (like Independence) are far worse than Hoosier.

I agree, was just speculating on what his hang up might be and offering a possible solution.  I’ve done Independence in January in a 2wd vehicle during a snowstorm.  Won’t ever make that mistake again.

17 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I agree, was just speculating on what his hang up might be and offering a possible solution.  I’ve done Independence in January in a 2wd vehicle during a snowstorm.  Won’t ever make that mistake again.

how?  isn't it closed then?

2 minutes ago, sidis said:

how?  isn't it closed then?

This was 20+ years ago.  I was 19.  I had never been that way before and was too headstrong to stop at the decision point and ask for advice from locals.  According to friends who met us the next day, they closed it down at some point that night.  I believe they close it down all winter now, but that wasn’t the case then.  They just closed it in inclement weather.

This seems very small. What am I missing with a 570k price tag? 

Just a giant dick measuring contest basically. Google them up and you’ll see. You’re not missing anything, they’re tiny and cost about 10x more than what they should. They only make like 6 a year or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

Independence closes in the winter.  I highly doubt you drove it in January.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Independence closes in the winter.  I highly doubt you drove it in January.

That is the only approach to Aspen from the south, correct?  It was Jan. 1994 and it was open. Shouldn’t have been open, but it was.

Edited by conVINCEd

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Berthoud scares you?  Seriously, if you have problems with Berthoud, you probably shouldn't be driving in the mountains.  Not trying to be a dick, but Berthoud is a piece of cake unless it's snowing.

That's my point. I don't want to be driving in the mountains. I agree with you!  Trying to avoid going all the way down to I-10 to get through the mountain range. Yeah, I'm avoiding Colorado without a doubt.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Or unless it’s Sunday night about 6pm during ski season. I made the mistake of going up on a Sunday to snowmobile all afternoon. I will not make that one again.

Or unless it’s Sunday night about 6pm during ski season. I made the mistake of going up on a Sunday to snowmobile all afternoon. I will not make that one again.
Bad traffic doesn't mean scary to drive on. It just means slow going. And most Sundays, you're fine by 6 pm. That's when we come home a lot of the time. Resort clears out by 2 on Sunday.

26 minutes ago, Brew said:

Lots of cars. Light snow. Colorado people wanting to drive 50, me wanting to drive 15. It was awful. 

Ok- so final update on procurement:

tried to set up financing on the deal in Buda, but it didn’t blue book for enough to go 100% financing. Wife decided it would now be ok to get the ones without a bunk so we can have 100% financing. 

67k sales price. 73k with tax, title and license. All financed over a 144 month term at 6 something interest rate. Smooth $760.00 per month payment. I believe that if we don’t beat it up, and decide to sell it when we get back we will be likely to break even on the purchase. If we like it we will punch it in the mouth and pay it off over 2 or 3 years I would guess. 

2017 Georgetown- 35 feet or so. 11,000 miles on it- near mint condition.  Has after market stabilizers and anti sway stuff, and some upgrades furnishing. Can do a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty for like $1200. That seems pretty cheap to me. 

We decided to drive the truck as well behind it. I plan on setting up camp for a week at a time. If we drive less than 400 or so miles a week that’s not but an extra $30 in gas a week for the truck. It will give the wife and 1 kid a days worth of time to themselves every week, which should be valuable, and if anyone needs some alone time they can spend it in the truck- that’s my thinking. And it will, of course, make it easier to get around when we are meeting friends or family or running into the city, running errands, going to the movies or stuff like that. 

I have budgeted $1,000 a month for space rental, $500 a month for gas, and $1000 for food, entertainment and stuff. If we keep it to $2500 a month that’s what it would cost us to live at home I would think

We are letting my niece, her husband, and new baby stay at our house and pay $750 a month- which will cover the RV note exactly. Essentially, I believe our monthly living costs will be the same living on the road in the RV vs living at home. We trade 3400 square feet and a pool on 6 acres for a 35 foot rv traveling the country in an adventure. I think the RV will be more fun, but if it’s not everyone I know IRL and now on the internet will be able to make fun of me. 

Sounds like we have some stuff to do to get ready. Goal is to leave next weekend and make it to Hot Springs, Arkansas, for the first week of setting up life on the road. 

If someone will tell me how to post pictures on the internet from my phone I will post them here after I sign papers tomorrow. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Like 5

tried to set up financing on the deal in Buda, but it didn’t blue book for enough to go 100% financing. Wife decided it would now be ok to get the ones without a bunk so we can have 100% financing. 
67k sales price. 73k with tax, title and license. All financed over a 144 month term at 6 something interest rate. Smooth $760.00 per month payment. I believe that if we don’t beat it up, and decide to sell it when we get back we will be likely to break even on the purchase. If we like it we will punch it in the mouth and pay it off over 2 or 3 years I would guess. 
2017 Georgetown- 35 feet or so. 11,000 miles on it- near mint condition.  Has after market stabilizers and anti sway stuff, and some upgrades furnishing. Can do a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty for like $1200. That seems pretty cheap to me. 
We decided to drive the truck as well behind it. I plan on setting up camp for a week at a time. If we drive less than 400 or so miles a week that’s not but an extra $30 in gas a week for the truck. It will give the wife and 1 kid a days worth of time to themselves every week, which should be valuable, and if anyone needs some alone time they can spend it in the truck- that’s my thinking. And it will, of course, make it easier to get around when we are meeting friends or family or running into the city, running errands, going to the movies or stuff like that. 
I have budgeted $1,000 a month for space rental, $500 a month for gas, and $1000 for food, entertainment and stuff. If we keep it to $2500 a month that’s what it would cost us to live at home I would think
We are letting my niece, her husband, and new baby stay at our house and pay $750 a month- which will cover the RV note exactly. Essentially, I believe our monthly living costs will be the same living on the road in the RV vs living at home. We trade 3400 square feet and a pool on 6 acres for a 35 foot rv traveling the country in an adventure. I think the RV will be more fun, but if it’s not everyone I know IRL and now on the internet will be able to make fun of me. 
Sounds like we have some stuff to do to get ready. Goal is to leave next weekend and make it to Hot Springs, Arkansas, for the first week of setting up life on the road. 
If someone will tell me how to post pictures on the internet from my phone I will post them here after I sign papers tomorrow. 

The thought of financing an RV for 12 years makes my stomach hurt. Ugh.

Good luck.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sweet, good luck.  You're gonna have a good time, don't sweat the small stuff, there will inevitably be challenges and you'll manage them just fine.

Have fun storming the castle!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

The thought of financing an RV for 12 years makes my stomach hurt. Ugh.

Good luck.

Here’s the way I look at it-

if we have a great time but decide we aren’t RV people I should be able to sell it for pretty close to break even. If we keep it around I will just pay it off early (I’ve never carried a car note for longer than about 18 months- I imagine I can get this paid off in a couple years. 

They actually seem to hold their value pretty well from what I can tell. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Yeah- we are kind of the opposite of the Covid people they are talking about. We aren’t doing this over fear of virus, rather bc we don’t want to be ruled by it and we hated what we heard school will be. 

Worst case, we overreacted and ended up doing something neat as a family that enriched our kids while life goes on as normal back home, at basically a financial push (provided I can make a living on the road- which I would assume we can). 

I’m sure what they wrote about in the article is true as well, pushing demand. 

Theres also the ugly side to it if people losing their confidence they can keep their house, and downgrading their living quarters to an RV for financial reasons to hold off catastrophe. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

But you’ll be out there with everyone that is buying a trailer so be smarty about how you camp. We’ve actually ruled out the parks because of crowds - as much about the virus as the hassle. Think ahead find alt ways to camp, learn to boondock and it’ll go fine. Case in point our first trip next week we are staying on private land in two places for two weeks. Didn’t try and hook up at any state or national park.

Gas budget might be low. Figure 8 miles per gallon, that’s 2000 miles per month for the rig. Maybe that’s what your thinking. I dunno. Math could be wrong too, that’s back of the napkin. I just remember the last time we took a motor home on a trip how crazy the gas bill was. I think we made 6 mpg that trip to CO and back.

31 minutes ago, troph said:

But you’ll be out there with everyone that is buying a trailer so be smarty about how you camp. We’ve actually ruled out the parks because of crowds - as much about the virus as the hassle. Think ahead find alt ways to camp, learn to boondock and it’ll go fine. Case in point our first trip next week we are staying on private land in two places for two weeks. Didn’t try and hook up at any state or national park.

Gas budget might be low. Figure 8 miles per gallon, that’s 2000 miles per month for the rig. Maybe that’s what your thinking. I dunno. Math could be wrong too, that’s back of the napkin. I just remember the last time we took a motor home on a trip how crazy the gas bill was. I think we made 6 mpg that trip to CO and back.

Maybe on the gas budget. Guy claimed 10 mpg but I don’t know that I really believe that. 

My bet is we average about 1500 miles a month. At 8 mpg that’s 187 gallons. $2.00 a gallon (around here it’s only $1.50 but I figure it will be more on the road) that’s $360, plus 75 gallons for the truck at $150. That’s where I got that number from. 

When you say learn to boondock what do

you mean by that. Is it harder than turning off the engine, setting it in park, setting the break?  What else is there turning in for the night? 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe on the gas budget. Guy claimed 10 mpg but I don’t know that I really believe that. 

My bet is we average about 1500 miles a month. At 8 mpg that’s 187 gallons. $2.00 a gallon (around here it’s only $1.50 but I figure it will be more on the road) that’s $360, plus 75 gallons for the truck at $150. That’s where I got that number from. 

When you say learn to boondock what do

you mean by that. Is it harder than turning off the engine, setting it in park, setting the break?  What else is there turning in for the night? 

"Boondocking" means dry camping, no hookups.  Troph is suggesting using private lands or perhaps national forests (not parks) which have no amenities, no utilities.

So if you want to park it and boondock for, say, a week, you'll need to have a full freshwater tank, empty black tank, empty gray tank.  I'm assuming your rig has an onboard generator?  You'll use that to power the A/C (when it's hot outside) as well as other 120VAC electrical appliances (microwave, coffee maker, etc.).

1) Freshwater-- you'll use this for cleaning things like dishes, washing hands, and rinsing down poop in your turlet.  You'll want to bring bottled water for drinking.  I actually use a couple of 5-gallon Igloo water coolers, and keep a few of those 2-gallon Ozarka or HCF containers stowed, plus keep plenty of bottled water in the RV refrigerator.  Keep in mind this will be used for drinking, making ice, making coffee, cooking, anything that goes into your body, so you're going to need more than you think.  You won't have city water hookups when dry camping, so you could potentially run out of freshwater in your fresh tank.  You'll either have to find a way to refill it, or that's when you pick up camp and move on.

2) Gray tank-- When you have full sewer hook-ups and "city water" exterior freshwater hookups, there's no need to worry about running out of capacity on your gray tank.  You can take showers, do the dishes at length, and not worry about running out of water supply, or where to store it once it's been used.  But when you're boondocking, you can fill up your gray tank pretty quick.  When it's full, you'll either have to move the RV to dump it, or you'll have to transfer to a large rolling temporary plastic container (often called a "blue boy" by oldtimer RVers because they were made of blue plastic, but these days black and other colors are common).  Either way, you're still going to have to find a place to dump it.  Dumping gray water directly to the ground is not legal on public lands in most states.  If you've made other arrangements with a private property owner, that's something else.

3) Black tank-- aka your poop tank, or as cousin Eddie would call it, "shitter's full." This can potentially fill faster than you could possibly believe,  especially when women are involved :).  When we're boondocking our rules are, boys do #1 outside no matter what, and girls go #1 outside if they can possibly stand it.  #2 goes inside for obvious reasons.  Once the shitter is full, then just like the gray tank, you're going to have to dump it, or transfer to the blue boy to dump it.  Obviously no dumping on public lands, and I'd guess private landowners probably don't want you dumping black water either.  It attracts bugs and wildlife and smells bad, etc.  So you'll want to have a plan for where you're going to dump when the time comes.  Some truck stops have dump stations that they either charge for, or are occasionally free.  State parks with hookups tend to have dump stations so if that's your next destination, you could dump there BEFORE you park, and then dump again on your way out.  That kind of thing.

4) Power-- Not a big deal for those with onboard generators, I have no idea how much gas these use so you'll probably want to make sure your gas tank is topped up before parking.  For those that do not have an onboard generator, then you'll either have to run off batteries (which means no A/C, no microwave, etc.) or you'll have to buy a separate generator that is appropriately sized for your needs.

Lots of other tricks of the trade for boondocking, to cut down on water usage, power, etc.  If you decide to go that route, feel free to ask questions.  I've done a ton of dry camping over the years, and it sounds like others around here have, as well.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, utee94 said:

"Boondocking" means dry camping, no hookups.  Troph is suggesting using private lands or perhaps national forests (not parks) which have no amenities, no utilities.

I get the term, I was trying to figure out how I need to “learn” how to do it. It seems pretty easy. Park. Set the stabilizer, set the break. What am I missing? 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I get the term, I was trying to figure out how I need to “learn” how to do it. It seems pretty easy. Park. Set the stabilizer, set the break. What am I missing? 

You'd do all of those things regardless of whether you're boondocking on private undeveloped land or parking at a luxury RV resort with full 3-point hookups.

The "learning" is all the other stuff I mentioned above :). Without all of the hookups, you have to plan further ahead and make sure you have enough freshwater, power, and a plan for how to rid yourself of wastewater. 

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You'd do all of those things regardless of whether you're boondocking on private undeveloped land or parking at a luxury RV resort with full 3-point hookups.

The "learning" is all the other stuff I mentioned above :). Without all of the hookups, you have to plan further ahead and make sure you have enough freshwater, power, and a plan for how to rid yourself of wastewater. 

I’d responded before I read the other post. I guess when I think of boondocking I’m thinking of one night when I’m getting from point A to point B where I won’t really have to do that stuff if it’s only for 1 night. 

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I’d responded before I read the other post. I guess when I think of boondocking I’m thinking of one night when I’m getting from point A to point B where I won’t really have to do that stuff if it’s only for 1 night. 

For sure.

But what @trophis suggesting, is to stay for long periods of time in remote destinations with no utilities, to avoid crowds.  I'll be honest, I'm not as worried as she is, about catching The Coronas at a state park.  But if that's something you're worried about, then knowing how to dry camp for extended periods of time is necessary.

Personally I've got reservations for a couple of weeks in July down at Garner State Park and I'm not overly worried about it.  But we'll also probably do a week of boondocking down on Padre Island National Seashore at some point, as well.

Edit: If/when the national seashore is open to overnight camping again, that is.  I haven't checked in a while.

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

@Wulaw Horn

If the place you're buying your rig from offers any kind of tutorial or class or session or whatever on how to use it...you need to take them up on it.  You and your wife.  If they don't offer it, ask them for it.  If they say they won't do it, insist on it being part of the deal or threaten to walk.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, utee94 said:

For sure.

But what @trophis suggesting, is to stay for long periods of time in remote destinations with no utilities, to avoid crowds.  I'll be honest, I'm not as worried as she is, about catching The Coronas at a state park.  But if that's something you're worried about, then knowing how to dry camp for extended periods of time is necessary.

Personally I've got reservations for a couple of weeks in July down at Garner State Park and I'm not overly worried about it.  But we'll also probably do a week of boondocking down on Padre Island National Seashore at some point, as well.

Edit: If/when the national seashore is open to overnight camping again, that is.  I haven't checked in a while.

Not worried at all about the 'Rona. Even were I to worry about it I can't imagine feeling unsafe at state/national parks. 

I’m less worried about corona virus and more worried about not finding places. Longer trailers and RVs are already at a disadvantage in state and national parks, plus those destinations fill quickly and have fewer hook ups anyway. KOA style parks aren’t my thing (might be when I’m older). So that leaves boondocking or hipcamp locations with hook ups. This summer is going to be crowded even more so than normal because well - case in point - you and I are newcomers - and there are a lot of us. So unless you land coveted spots (aka win the lottery) you may be left with little choice, at least on electricity. And if you want full hook ups everywhere you’re going to have to be vigilant and plan well in advance. Of course the fall and winter could be easier but in Texas for example, state parks are full Thursday through Monday often times in the fall. It’s just an extra consideration. And all of this is after trying to find full hook ups in CO state parks while social distancing is in place - it was a headache. So we changed course. Plus if you boondock you can find some killer remote and more pristine surroundings which can make it more enjoyable.

Tl;dr - logistics when RVing is already a lot, this summer will be harder so plan ahead and have the ability to dry camp and/or find alt sites outside of the state and national parks for extended periods if you need to.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 9:57 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

I know nothing. I’ve been looking non Craig’s list for about 12 minutes time now and the $5000 price point seems to get you something that you tow- at about 23-30 feet, with working electricity and water power that’s 15-20 years old. Pretty no frills. 

Point taken on the flare ups and different state rules for RV parks. I imagine we will have to play it by ear and be willing to modify going from place to place at least 2 or 3 times. Saved west coast for last because figure by fall they will be opened. And milder weather. 

What can you tell me about RV’s. I don’t want anything particularly nice as my kids are savages. But I want functional and gonna work, obviously. 

I’ve got a stock 2018 F150. That shouldn’t have any problem pulling a 7000 pound rv- should it? 

For all the driving you're going to be doing, that may be hell on an F-150.  What engine and transmission do you have in it?

Edit:. Also get the best tires for the trailer available and a couple of spares.

Edited by SHOOTER12

3 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

For all the driving you're going to be doing, that may be hell on an F-150.  What engine and transmission do you have in it?

Edit:. Also get the best tires for the trailer available and a couple of spares.

This thread has moved on from that brother...  

Basically I listened to what you said and everything else everyone else said and swerved into a class A motor home instead. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m less worried about corona virus and more worried about not finding places. Longer trailers and RVs are already at a disadvantage in state and national parks, plus those destinations fill quickly and have fewer hook ups anyway. KOA style parks aren’t my thing (might be when I’m older). So that leaves boondocking or hipcamp locations with hook ups. This summer is going to be crowded even more so than normal because well - case in point - you and I are newcomers - and there are a lot of us. So unless you land coveted spots (aka win the lottery) you may be left with little choice, at least on electricity. And if you want full hook ups everywhere you’re going to have to be vigilant and plan well in advance. Of course the fall and winter could be easier but in Texas for example, state parks are full Thursday through Monday often times in the fall. It’s just an extra consideration. And all of this is after trying to find full hook ups in CO state parks while social distancing is in place - it was a headache. So we changed course. Plus if you boondock you can find some killer remote and more pristine surroundings which can make it more enjoyable.

Tl;dr - logistics when RVing is already a lot, this summer will be harder so plan ahead and have the ability to dry camp and/or find alt sites outside of the state and national parks for extended periods if you need to.

That's reasonable, I misunderstood your earlier post.

Most states' state parks allow you to reserve ahead of time, so @Wulaw Hornshould be able to determine at the beginning of the trip where he'll be, and whether or not he'll have any utility-less gaps that need to be filled with boondocking locations.

For the reasons @trophstates, I'd advise against "winging it" and I'd have a solid plan in place for all sites well ahead of time.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Basically I listened to what you said and everything else everyone else said and swerved into a class A motor home instead. 

Yes, I just noticed the thread and have now only gotten to page 2. Your Surly family has provided some great information and tips.

Obligatory:. "Good luck, we're counting on you"

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Try not to swerve in the class A.  They don’t handle very well.

• Like 1

We rent a Class A Georgetown for 1 week every summer.

There has ALWAYS been something break, or rented to us broken.(I am sure some of that is a function of being rented to randos over and over) Levelers(one of the worst things to live without), power stairs at exit, Dash AC, Back UP camera to name a few.  

There is no way a family of 5 is going a week in a Georgetown without services hook-up.  Black tank and grey tank will be full much before that.

On 5/23/2020 at 6:09 PM, dcbc said:

I'm both super jealous and not jealous at all simultaneously.  I cannot wait to see it unfold.  Wulaw, may e'erything go your way.  But it probably will be a mix. 

Pretty much feel the same way.  If I were younger and in better health, I would just be 100000% jealous.

4 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

We rent a Class A Georgetown for 1 week every summer.

There has ALWAYS been something break, or rented to us broken.(I am sure some of that is a function of being rented to randos over and over) Levelers(one of the worst things to live without), power stairs at exit, Dash AC, Back UP camera to name a few.  

There is no way a family of 5 is going a week in a Georgetown without services hook-up.  Black tank and grey tank will be full much before that.

That’s my sense. I don’t think we are getting off the grid. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

The Georgetowns we have rented have an interrelation between Camping Batteries, Motor Starting Battery and DC usage(not sure how unique that is or not).  It is completely possible to drain ALL the battery power and be stuck.  You can jump the camper from a truck so get good jumper cables.  We start the camper motor and generator for minimum 1 hr each morning to keep batteries charged, so include that in your fuel usage.  We will burn +/- an 1/8 tank on that over a week.  If we don't they will be drained before the evening(refrigerator shuts off).