Jump to content

2020/2021 Hunting Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

This is who I'm really looking for.....

IMG_4615.thumb.jpg.531c97a5cec4b07e265728f0366fb9cf.jpg

That’s awesome.   Seems we have a strain from the other end of the gene pool with several almost albino deer.  Not piebald but very light in color.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

This is who I'm really looking for.....

IMG_4615.thumb.jpg.531c97a5cec4b07e265728f0366fb9cf.jpg

At one time Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops was apparently offering insane amounts of money for a melanistic buck, like six figures. That was about 5-6 years ago though.

CHIEF

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Spaulding Smails said:

Great pics @BabaYaga!  Where are you located?  

We had about 6" of snow at our place.  My dad was up there, but ended up getting sick, so he didn't get any pics beyond the front porch.  

On the border of Runnels and Coleman counties.  Between Coleman and Ballinger and closest to Talpa (which isn't really even a town anymore)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:


AKA God’s country.

So dark at night you can sit on the front porch; turn off everything including the fire, and almost guaranteed to see shooting stars and often low level communication satellites tracking across the sky.  Like tiny pin-pricks in linear movement across the sky.  It's wild.  Coyotes serenading in the distance...sometimes not too distant which is a little unnerving.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Winona's Big Orange Bevo said:

Friend of friend took this on farmland between New Braunfels airport and Freihiet store that's slowly being swallowed up by shitty subdivisions.

Unfuckingbelievable!

 

 

 

IMG_4614.thumb.jpg.524072dad620bb4ad96c117629fd624e.jpg

Suburban deer are really interesting.  They are allowed to come of age due to a lack of pressure and because of that there are a lot of big bucks taken in some very unusual areas.

I keep track of some guys around Atlanta, Ga who hunt pockets of land in between subdivisions and they take some incredible deer.

They can't get big if they don't get old.  You can see the creases in that bucks left ear and know he's mature.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Suburban deer are really interesting.  They are allowed to come of age due to a lack of pressure and because of that there are a lot of big bucks taken in some very unusual areas.

I keep track of some guys around Atlanta, Ga who hunt pockets of land in between subdivisions and they take some incredible deer.

They can't get big if they don't get old.  You can see the creases in that bucks left ear and know he's mature.

Yep, and a boon for bowhunters as they can get close and make a kill quietly without concern of backstops and bullet travel into populated areas.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, Spaulding Smails said:

That would be a bad ass trophy.  Don't give away your spot, but are you in Central Texas?  I know there's some melanistic deer in the gene pool west of Austin.   

Got 'em in my hood, could get one close enough to take with my tomahawk

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Suburban deer are really interesting.  They are allowed to come of age due to a lack of pressure and because of that there are a lot of big bucks taken in some very unusual areas.

I keep track of some guys around Atlanta, Ga who hunt pockets of land in between subdivisions and they take some incredible deer.

They can't get big if they don't get old.  You can see the creases in that bucks left ear and know he's mature.

Is this the guy with the Youtube channel? I went down that rabbit hole looking at videos of big deer shot in suburban areas of major cities. Some good shit on there.  He shot one in suburban Atlanta, the area looked a lot like Shoal Creek does in the Rosedale area. The buck he shot scored 204". He was sitting in his bow stand, and the neighbor, whose lot his bow stand was on, asked him to come help him with some chore on the back porch, didn't even have to ask in a voice above conversation level.

CHIEF

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Have you pulled a tape on him?  Always interested to see where I line out on my estimates. 

A quick rough gross of 142...both poses make him look like a larger number. I judged him younger on the hoof. 

50684155328_96e23f0c90_b.jpg

 

  • Like 4
  • Drool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

A quick rough gross of 142...both poses make him look like a larger number. I judged him younger on the hoof.

Both the deer I posted upthread (#823/824) were low 140’s.  I had both a bit higher in my estimate. So been really trying to work on walking thru verified bucks in pics (which is difficult).  I’m always conservative when actually shooting, so not really afraid of shooting the wrong deer type of deal, but have a ways to go on score accuracy.    I’ve got a buddy that gets it down to a few inches on 200” class deer. If I can learn to post a video I’ll show y’all the storage locker he needed for his taxidermy after a divorce.  Another guy that really impressed me was a guide on the King Ranch. Young biologist and he called all 3 deer we shot that day to within an inch before each shot was taken. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Is this the guy with the Youtube channel? I went down that rabbit hole looking at videos of big deer shot in suburban areas of major cities. Some good shit on there.  He shot one in suburban Atlanta, the area looked a lot like Shoal Creek does in the Rosedale area. The buck he shot scored 204". He was sitting in his bow stand, and the neighbor, whose lot his bow stand was on, asked him to come help him with some chore on the back porch, didn't even have to ask in a voice above conversation level.

CHIEF

I'm sure it's the same guy or guys.  Someone got me set up to track hashtags on instagram and one of those was "urbanbowhunting".  I started following from there.

Will have to check out the Youtubes.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you keep the lower jaw?  That's a nice mount but may come a time when you'd like to mount the whole head.  It's really cool to see the whole skull.  

Edited by Mdhorn
Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm sure it's the same guy or guys.  Someone got me set up to track hashtags on instagram and one of those was "urbanbowhunting".  I started following from there.
Will have to check out the Youtubes.
They started out as Urban Bow Hunters but now go by SeekOne. Incredible bucks those guys get to go after. Only problem with the publicity is more hunters going and knocking on doors to gain access in these neighborhoods, thus more pressure on the deer but also upsetting homeowners.
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, noharleyyet said:

Taxi says he's 4 1/2 years old...

50804287866_87aa5ae406_b.jpg

 

I can guess them pretty good, I was going to say 138, decent mass, not very wide, good G3s, good height. I'm usually within 3-5 B&C points. Definitely a nice buck. Usually depends on the area. 30 years ago, you would put your picture in the paper with that monster. 90% of the hunters in my area would have pulled the trigger.

CHIEF

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CHIEF said:

I can guess them pretty good, I was going to say 138, decent mass, not very wide, good G3s, good height. I'm usually within 3-5 B&C points. Definitely a nice buck. Usually depends on the area. 30 years ago, you would put your picture in the paper with that monster. 90% of the hunters in my area would have pulled the trigger.

CHIEF

Roughed him 137 on the ground but his mains were longer than I thought. He’s 14” wide. Good eye. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2021 at 12:28 PM, CHIEF said:

At one time Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops was apparently offering insane amounts of money for a melanistic buck, like six figures. That was about 5-6 years ago though.

CHIEF

I was about to say "I could never shoot that deer", then stopped in my tracks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, williemackgarza said:


Man I want a .257 wby bad just havent stumbled on the right deal. Those 92g are screaming outta the barrel. emoji1605.png

Lucked onto this one.....came bedded with a tuned Timney. Scoped it, worked up a load & printed clovers. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2021 at 7:53 PM, Mdhorn said:

Did you keep the lower jaw?  That's a nice mount but may come a time when you'd like to mount the whole head.  It's really cool to see the whole skull.  

No, this is the only way I have em done...Whitetail, Mule Deer, and Elk, but it's something to consider.

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife has Covid, found out last night.  With very mild symptoms, but we have been staying away from her since she showed symptoms a few days ago.  She's 42 and in excellent health -- exercises a bunch and is 5'8" 125. So not that worried about her.

Was planning on South Texas for the next few weekends with fam and friends.  But nope. Some of the people who will be there are old.

I am heading up to my family place in Waller and Grimes County instead with kids to stay away from my wife's COVID.  Hopefully we don't have it.  Getting tested Sunday.  I posted a pic of some of our bucks there -- we never hunt that place -- but discovered recently there are some big bucks.  But we can't shoot since it isn't MLD.  Oh well.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Wife has Covid, found out last night.  With very mild symptoms, but we have been staying away from her since she showed symptoms a few days ago.  She's 42 and in excellent health -- exercises a bunch and is 5'8" 125. So not that worried about her.

Was planning on South Texas for the next few weekends with fam and friends.  But nope. Some of the people who will be there are old.

I am heading up to my family place in Waller and Grimes County instead with kids to stay away from my wife's COVID.  Hopefully we don't have it.  Getting tested Sunday.  I posted a pic of some of our bucks there -- we never hunt that place -- but discovered recently there are some big bucks.  But we can't shoot since it isn't MLD.  Oh well.

 

Both of those counties have muzzleloader seasons going on right now. Can shoot antlerless as well during muzzleloader season. Just need to get you a smoke pole.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp finished up our last hunt of the season... missed out sadly. We had 9 doe walk across my property this morning but the crosses at the furthest possible location, I misread my shot and splashed down short of the biggest doe at 375yards.

We’ve also had our property trespassers move to poaching deer. Was walking the lot yesterday and found a blood trail still pretty fresh, pooled blood on the red clay soil. Tracked it from the crop part of my land into the fenced area of brush. Found where the doe died but no body. While we weee gearing up for the afternoon hunt we found the doe skin and the carcass down the path along the fence line.

Disappointed and now I’ve gotta involve the GW despite constant friendly reminders to the wife’s extended family that owns the surrounding lands.

  • Rage+1 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Youngest taking care of the doe population. Suppose to snow tomorrow morning 5"-8". Going to see if we can get another doe before it gets too nasty. If not, we might just be stuck out here another day, which wouldn't be terrible. a008eaed50be26179da4771429c67744.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...