No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

And Big John, as it turned out, had correctly noticed Leach's offensive linemen had gradually gotten sloppier in their stances over the course of the season.

"I'm sitting here watching all of this film and Big John caught something I'd missed," Leach said. "I go back and look at three games ago -- they were lower and their feet were moving and they were more violent."

Imagine Nick Saban investigating tips on line play from the janitor.

I imagine Nick Saban might be meticulous enough at film study, or have enough former head coaches on his quality control staff who are, that he doesn't need to consult the janitor on matters of self-scouting. That's not really a good look for Leach. 

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I imagine Nick Saban might be meticulous enough at film study, or have enough former head coaches on his quality control staff who are, that he doesn't need to consult the janitor on matters of self-scouting. That's not really a good look for Leach. 

I imagine I would be a fuck of a lot happier to sit with at a table with Mike and shoot the shit about football and warfare over a platter of ribs and whatnot, along with a tasty beverage or five, than I would be sitting at a table with Nick talking about pretty much any fucking thing at all.

YMMV...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I imagine I would be a fuck of a lot happier to sit with at a table with Mike and shoot the shit about football and warfare over a platter of ribs and whatnot, along with a tasty beverage or five, than I would be sitting at a table with Nick talking about pretty much any fucking thing at all.

YMMV...

So would I. Although, really, I wouldn't be interested in Mike's thoughts about warfare. Sounds like he wasn't handling that part of the course anyway. And I'll bet after about his third drink he starts getting kind of tedious. 

I think I might rather have a few drinks with Big John. He sounds like an interesting character. 

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

So would I. Although, really, I wouldn't be interested in Mike's thoughts about warfare. Sounds like he wasn't handling that part of the course anyway. And I'll bet after about his third drink he starts getting kind of tedious. 

I think I might rather have a few drinks with Big John. He sounds like an interesting character. 

Really, I would be quite interested to know Mike's thoughts on the leadership of Charlie the Hammer and his various descendants, including Big Charlie. 

I doubt that Mike is rookie-esque in handling tasty beverages in quantities, but I'd be perfectly content if he veered off into subjects such as the origin of the Jolie Rouge and the scattering of Templars to Scotland and Portugal.

Not sure Big John's take on HVAC maintenance would be all that fascinating...

29 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Really, I would be quite interested to know Mike's thoughts on the leadership of Charlie the Hammer and his various descendants, including Big Charlie. 

I doubt that Mike is rookie-esque in handling tasty beverages in quantities, but I'd be perfectly content if he veered off into subjects such as the origin of the Jolie Rouge and the scattering of Templars to Scotland and Portugal.

Not sure Big John's take on HVAC maintenance would be all that fascinating...

Maybe Big John also has thoughts on warfare. Maybe he's even served in the military. If I want Leach's thoughts on warfare, I can read whatever books he read. 

I don't think anyone thinks Leach is a lightweight when it comes to bending the elbow. Isn't that one of the reasons he doesn't have a more high profile job? Listen to him talk when he's sober. (Assuming he's sober.) He already sort of speaks in a monotone and doesn't enunciate all that well. You get a few drinks in him and I'll bet he starts to ramble.

Edited by WhatTheBuck

37 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe ...I can read...

I don't think ... I'll bet he starts to ramble.

Edited for accuracy.

If he starts to ramble, so much the better. Limiting subjects of ramblement to the sorts of things that interest a janitor I've never met or even seen seems like a Bad Idea™ to me. But, as mentioned previously, YMMV.

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe Big John also has thoughts on warfare. Maybe he's even served in the military. If I want Leach's thoughts on warfare, I can read whatever books he read. 

Dude... Mike Leach is a Sun Tzu "Art of War" guy.  As we all should be.

• 3 weeks later...

Eric Dickerson tweet criticizing Leach on hurting one of his Washington States player's draft chances......

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26642435/leach-comment-dickerson-draft-tweets

PULLMAN, Wash. -- Washington State coach Mike Leach isn't interested in addressing accusations made by Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson that Leach deliberately talked down the draft stock of a former Cougars running back.

Leach sent reporters a text message Tuesday declining to comment on a series of tweets posted by Dickerson over the weekend in which he contended Leach sabotaged James Williams after he decided to skip his senior season.

Leach said the program wishes current and former players the "best for their futures" and noted: "The NFL doesn't tell us who to recruit and we don't tell them who to draft."

Leach has long maintained players should earn their degrees before trying to go to the NFL.

Williams was not drafted last weekend but he signed a free-agent contract with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Edited by LTtxfan

On 5/2/2019 at 4:16 PM, LTtxfan said:

Eric Dickerson tweet criticizing Leach on hurting one of his Washington States player's draft chances......

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26642435/leach-comment-dickerson-draft-tweets

PULLMAN, Wash. -- Washington State coach Mike Leach isn't interested in addressing accusations made by Hall of Famer Eric Dickerson that Leach deliberately talked down the draft stock of a former Cougars running back.

Leach sent reporters a text message Tuesday declining to comment on a series of tweets posted by Dickerson over the weekend in which he contended Leach sabotaged James Williams after he decided to skip his senior season.

Leach said the program wishes current and former players the "best for their futures" and noted: "The NFL doesn't tell us who to recruit and we don't tell them who to draft."

Leach has long maintained players should earn their degrees before trying to go to the NFL.

Williams was not drafted last weekend but he signed a free-agent contract with the Kansas City Chiefs.

The last part about high schoolers, I don't get it, as Dickerson knows high schoolers can't enter the draft.?!

D5QcBUNVUAAl5ev.jpg:large

Leach on scouts scrutinizing Gardner Minshew

And then they’d say, ‘How tall is he?’ I’d say, ‘Well, he’s exactly as tall as the all-time leading passer in the history of the NFL, Drew Brees.’ So then there’s this long, long, long pause, just really long. Because scouts have the ability to scrutinize and perceive life at a much higher level than you or I, mere mortals can.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/05/07/nfl-scouts-questioned-gardner-minshew-which-made-mike-leach-question-them/

Edited by Dennis Taylor

9 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Leach has been the head coach at Washington State for seven years, and he was the head coach at Texas Tech for 10 years before that. And although he’s often had productive passing offenses, so far, none of his quarterbacks have amounted to anything in the NFL. So it would be easy to understand if NFL scouts believe Minshew’s passing numbers were a product of the system. But Leach thinks Minshew can prove them wrong.

My money is on the scouts. I'll bet Minshew is not the next Drew Brees despite the advantage he has of being just as short as Drew Brees. 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:42 AM, kopp0e said:

The last part about high schoolers, I don't get it, as Dickerson knows high schoolers can't enter the draft.?!

D5QcBUNVUAAl5ev.jpg:large

Make Believe and Pretend has been Dickerson's favorite sport since George HW Bush was President.

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

My money is on the scouts. I'll bet Minshew is not the next Drew Brees despite the advantage he has of being just as short as Drew Brees. 

I'm not saying Leach is right or wrong about Minshew,  just celebrating his way with words.     

Why does the Pony Express hate on Leach so badly?  Two dipshit, less than credible motherfuckers have it out for one of the most dynamic coaches in NCAA history.

Weird...

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5631921/mike-leach-and-bob-stoops-new-staff-had-wild-times-20-years-ago

Mike Leach and Bob Stoops' new staff had wild times 20 years ago

by BERRY TRAMEL

Published: Tue, May 21, 2019 

Mike Leach and Jackie Shipp rolled their eyes at each other. The other coaches on Bob Stoops’ new staff, back in the winter of 1998-99, had taken up cigar smoking. It was a virtual ritual in Mark Mangino’s hotel room.

Most of the coaches were living in the Residence Inn, between Highway 9 and the Canadian River. Their families had yet to hit town, so nights were spent in Mangino’s room, calling recruits and watching video; smoking cigars and drinking beer; building a program and building bonds.

Mike Leach, one of the nation’s best coaches and absolutely its most eccentric, told the story Sunday night as the special guest of the Sooners Helping Sooners banquet at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum.

“Some of these guys were on a cigar kick, which I was glad when that kind of ran its course,” Leach said. “Me and Jackie, we didn’t smoke cigars. We dipped tobacco.  “These guys are showing off, who can be the smokiest. Jackie, his eyes start shimmying around a little, and I think, maybe he’ll crush one of ‘em and they’ll stop.  “That’s not what happened.”

What a staff. Mike Stoops and Brent Venables. Leach and Steve Spurrier Jr. Shipp and Cale Gundy. Mangino and Bobby Jack Wright and Jonathan Hayes. The staff that turned around Sooner football immediately, winning a national title in Year No. 2.  That championship came without Leach, who after one season had taken the Texas Tech head coaching job. But not before Leach left a legacy that still shines bright on Owen Field.

Twenty years later, Leach still draws a crowd and still spins a yarn and still has a connection with Sooner Nation. He coached Tech for 10 years and now has coached Washington State for seven years, and his Air Raid has revolutionized college football, but still Leach was willing to come to Oklahoma on a May Sunday and assist an organization dedicated to helping former Sooner athletes.

So Leach continues the story. The cigars are smoking, and Leach and Shipp are choking, and the young head coach — who soon enough would prove to be the consummate leader — knew something needed to be done.  “Bob always had a sense of people,” Leach said. “In the Bob voice, kind of Youngstowny, ‘Hey, hey, how about one of these days we’ll all put a bunch of plastic on, maybe raincoats or something, and since we’ve been smoking and getting smoke all over you and Jackie, you and Jackie can spit all over us.”  Stoops lightened the mood. Even if the plastic and raincoats never showed up.  “He never did follow up on that,” Leach deadpanned.

And so the stories flowed Sunday night. Eventually, the coaches’ families moved to Norman or the state limit on lodging arrived.  So Leach, Wright, Spurrier and Mangino moved into the new Switzer Complex. Holed up in their offices. Go get dinner, come back and work more, then bunk down in their respective offices.  “Went to the hardware store and bought air mattresses,” Leach said. “Somebody would have a hotplate, be cooking something there. Get little ideas on how to live like a homeless person in the Switzer Complex.”

Spurrier was the sharpest, Leach said. Spurrier went to the lobby and lifted the cushions off the couches, so he had a little better bed.  “The rest of us had air mattresses,” Leach said. “In particular Mangino, when we woke up in the morning, they were empty.

“It was actually a pretty fun time. At some point, morning would hit. The cleaning lady got there real early. Like 6. Mine was the first office. I don’t know how she didn’t get this sorted. I should have had a do-not-disturb thing or whatever. All of a sudden, she’d open the door every day and scream. Every day. Every single day, there was somebody sprawled out on the air mattress there, and she’d say, ‘Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t know you were here.’  “After about three days of that, I said, ‘You know, I’ll be here tomorrow.’ But it didn’t make any difference.”

But those coaches made a difference. Oklahoma football was turned around instantly. The next golden age of Sooner football ensued and hasn’t stopped.  Leach was here maybe 11 months and has been gone almost 20 years. But his offense laid the foundation for much of what was to come.

“One of the most important places I’ve been in my career,” Leach said Sunday night when his show was over. “So many people did so many things for this great tradition, and I’m honored to be a small part of it.”

No one rolled their eyes.

Edited by LTtxfan

That championship came without Leach, who after one season had taken the Texas Tech head coaching job. But not before Leach left a legacy that still shines bright on Owen Field

Leach was here maybe 11 months and has been gone almost 20 years. But his offense laid the foundation for much of what was to come.

Gosh, good thing for Oklahoma that Leach was on the staff for almost a year a couple decades ago. Where would they be now without him?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/6/17/18650704/washington-state-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

Primarily because of turnover at quarterback and defensive back, Wazzu’s four-year run of improvement is projected to come to an end. The Cougs are projected to slip slightly to 36th.

Yes, they were projected to slide last year and didn’t. Maybe they keep the streak going. Still, at 36th they’re projected favorites in nine of 12 games. Playing at Utah, Oregon, and Washington will likely cut short any hopes of winning the Pac-12 North, but there are still lots of wins on the table here.

There’s no telling where Leach’s odd mind will take him next offseason or the one after that. But in-season, he’s coaching as well as he ever has.

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]