No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]

Parliament

On 8/26/2019 at 6:38 AM, bamachine said:

I don't know why they're so scared of releasing those documents. The depositions of that case took place in 2010, so that means that the statute of limitations on Hance and Craig James, regarding the false statements they made in those depositions, has long expired so it's not like they're afraid of prosecution. I mean I'll gladly accept a reasoned explanation as to why Tech is refusing to explain themselves, but as I see it with the available evidence, the only explanation for this is that they fear an absolute PR nightmare.

1 hour ago, hpslugga said:

I don't know why they're so scared of releasing those documents. The depositions of that case took place in 2010, so that means that the statute of limitations on Hance and Craig James, regarding the false statements they made in those depositions, has long expired so it's not like they're afraid of prosecution. I mean I'll gladly accept a reasoned explanation as to why Tech is refusing to explain themselves, but as I see it with the available evidence, the only explanation for this is that they fear an absolute PR nightmare.

That truth with never see the light of day.  The conductors on that railroad still think nobody ever saw their actions for what they were.

They walk around naked and people tell them  how great their outfit is.  Anyone who mutters, "Hey mofo, put some clothes on"  just doesn't love Tech enough...allegedly.

On 9/4/2019 at 12:26 PM, hpslugga said:

Some interesting elements from James deposition about the actual Adam event--(from Founder of Sports Law Institute and Law Prof at Marquette University)

After the dust from the media storm settled, the truth about the famed electrical closet closet came out. Despite the text messages sent between Adam and Craig and the threatening phone calls and emails, the truth about what really happened that day came out in March 2010 through depositions of various key players. Adam’s deposition deposition is most telling, and portrays quite a different picture of the events– a picture that supports Leach’s claim that he was fired without cause. The pertinent questions and answers of the deposition are as follows:

Q. You’re sitting in a shed and you text your father, “hey, you’re going to like this, Leach thinks it’s impossible for me to have a concussion. And I’m just being a pussy.”
Q. You thought it was funny?
A. Well, we have the same sense of humor and we thought it was funny so I said “you’re going to like this.” At the time, yes, sir.
Q. Did Leach tell you “I don’t believe you have a concussion?”
A. No, sir, he didn’t.
Q. Did the trainer, Mr. Pincock, tell you that Coach Leach didn’t think you have concussion?
A. I don’t necessarily know. I guess maybe it was an assumption or...
Q. It was an assumption made by you that Coach Leach didn’t believe you had a concussion?
A. Yes, sir.
Q. Let’s go back and look at your text messages to your father. “So for punishment he had me locked in a pitch black shed for the whole practice.”
Q. Will you agree with me that you were not physically locked by a key or a door lock?
A. The garage door was not locked.
Q. Coach Leach didn’t tell you to get inside that electrical closet, did he?
A. Not personally, no.

Q. You weren’t locked in an electrical closet for three hours, were you?
A. No.
Q. Did Coach Leach tell you that if you were sitting down or leaning on the wall that you would be kicked off the team?
A. He did not tell me.
Q. But in fact, you didn’t remain standing the whole time and you weren’t punished?
A. No, sir.
Craig also changed his tune during his deposition and indicated that he knew the text messages from his son were less than truthful. He also said that he knew this at time he sent the threatening email to Hance.
Q. When you wrote this email of 12/26 you did not believe Adam had been confined to the electrical closet for a total of three hours, fair?
A. Yes.
Despite Leach's arguments that he was fired without cause, TTU refused to pay Leach his contract completion bonus or liquidated damages, and Leach filed suit. According to Texas Law, TTU is a state entity and is therefore protected from lawsuits by sovereign immunity and the ability of third parties to collect for breach of contract.

That guy can take anything from nuclear war, to college mascots, to breakfast cereal, and nonchalantly make it the greatest listen ever. I’m envious of those who were able to attend his class about insurgency in regard to college football game film.

The guy continues to crack me up. Stay the course Mike.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 6:54 AM, crash_davis said:

We lost to this guy?  Yea he's awesome but doesn't seem like he does shit for coaching.

Wazzu's seven seasons before Leach:
4-7 (1-7)
6-6 (4-5)
5-7 (3-6)
2-11 (1-8)
1-11 (0-9)
2-10 (1-8)
4-8 (2-7)

Wazzu's seven-plus seasons under Leach:
3-9 (1-8)
6-7 (4-5)
3-9 (2-7)
9-4 (6-3)
8-5 (7-2)
9-4 (6-3)
11-2 (7-2)

Plus 3-0 so far this year.

I'd say he's doing some coaching.

Edited by Braff Zacklin
Updated 2019 record.
  • Like 1

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Wazzu's seven seasons before Leach:
4-7 (1-7)
6-6 (4-5)
5-7 (3-6)
2-11 (1-8)
1-11 (0-9)
2-10 (1-8)
4-8 (2-7)

Wazzu's seven-plus seasons under Leach:
3-9 (1-8)
6-7 (4-5)
3-9 (2-7)
9-4 (6-3)
8-5 (7-2)
9-4 (6-3)
11-2 (7-2)

Plus 2-0 so far this year.

I'd say he's doing some coaching.

he's a wizard, no question.  but did you read the articles.  more specifically, did you read his "coaching" to his qbs.  not sure what the secret sauce is but it's clearly not conveyed in his words.

qb: coach, what did i do wrong in throwing that interception.

leach: you threw an interception. don't throw interceptions.

qb: ok, gotcha.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

he's a wizard, no question.  but did you read the articles.  more specifically, did you read his "coaching" to his qbs.  not sure what the secret sauce is but it's clearly not conveyed in his words.

I bet Shawn Watson would have drilled deeply down into the mistakes the QB made, and made adjustments in his exquisitely detailed playbook. 

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Sometimes, it probably is that simple. It's also quite likely that he says a good deal more one-on-one than he does on camera.

He's enjoyed success at multiple stops and with a slew of different assistants and quarterbacks. Since he's the only common thread, it seems that there must be something he is doing that is working, even if it isn't caught on camera.

37 minutes ago, Rusty Shackelford said:

Can you please post the text behind the paywall?

The TL;DR version is that from the combined coaches and players on Leach's first Texas Tech team in 2000, eight are or were head coaches of FBS programs, eight more have been coordinators at the FBS level, and in all, 23 have been college or NFL coaches.

Among them:

Kliff Kingsbury and Dana Holgorsen (obviously), and also:

• Sonny Dykes (SMU HC)
  • Ruffin McNeill (OU assistant HC)
  • Bill Bedenbaugh (OU OL coach)
  • Dennis Simmons (OU receivers coach)
  • Glen Thomas (Baylor co-OC)

That doesn't count the secondary tree that sprouted from Dana Holgorsen that includes Lincoln Riley.

Edited by oSuJeff97

Yeah Lincoln Riley is a direct branch off of the Leach tree.  It was painfully obvious he was gifted as hell as a coach and not as a player. He basically transitioned from player to GA/ quality control after his Sophomore season, IIRC.

I understand he wasn’t a graduate yet, but he was years ahead in his coaching development.

also, not in that photo are guys like Graham Harrell, Eric Morris, Joel Filani and others who are in coaching now, as well.

Edited by Iceman

6 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Lincoln Riley was on Leach's staff as a GA& WRs coach.  He then took over as the play caller in the Alamo Bowl after Leach was fired.  Then he followed Ruffin McNeill to Eat Carolina as the OC. He never worked on a Holgerson led staff. 

My bad on that.

I thought I read that Holgo was who brought Riley on the staff when he was OC/IWR coach at Tech in 2006/2007... obviously Leach had the final call and was the HC, but Holgo was the OC/IWR coach and Riley worked directly under him as a WR coach and was something of his protege.  Riley took over IWR coach when Holgo left for Houston.

Either way, it's one more impressive note from Leach's time at Tech and the numerous coaches he spawned.

• immamac changed the title to No, Mike Leach, YOU'RE awesome! [Pirates Last Voyage]