• Fuente
    • Cristobal
    • Allen
    • Some NFL assistant ....name him
    • Some college assistant.....name him
    • Harbaugh
    • Other....name him

7 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Campbell doesn’t impress me. His offenses seem so vanilla. I dunno I’m more impressed with futureman thinking he had the ability to fist his own ass. That’s some courage 

We're gonna need more tight ends 😐 Campbell.uses his TEs every which way and loves to motion them all over the place.

3 hours ago, UT Lax said:

Just look at Ryan Leaf as somone who was addicted and went clean and sober and totally turned himself around: https://sports.yahoo.com/ryan-leaf-from-historic-draft-bust-to-jail-is-sober-and-cohosted-esp-ns-nfl-live-144031143.html

Oh wait, two months later: https://247sports.com/Article/Ryan-Leaf-mugshot-domestic-battery-arrest-college-football-Washington-State-147468384/

The point is that it just takes one drink and he is back off the wagon. The pressure of being a head coach at UT makes that highly likely!

Our currently drunk coach isn't working out so well.

7 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Saban was 34-24 at Michigan St. and they are a stronger program than ISU.

Not MSU then compared to ISU now. Not MSU then compared to MSU under Mark Dantonio. Saban never won a conference championship at MSU and, if he'd ever had this year's ISU record when he was in E. Lansing, he would have. Like the Big XII now, back then the Big Ten didn't have divisions. Unlike the Big XII now, back then the Big Ten didn't have a championship game that guaranteed a rematch every year. Finish the regular season with the best conference record and you were the conference champion. They didn't offer do-overs to losers. 

57 minutes ago, Bevo said:

*** This is not an endorsement

My dad was treating a kid years ago and he asked this kid who his favorite football player was. The kid answered, "Gary Kubiak". My father then asked "Who is Gary Kubiak?" The kid replied, "He is the quarterback for St. Pius. He is the greatest football player ever".

So, did the kid recover from his head injury?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Talked to a friend, it sounds like there could be a coalition for Matt Campbell. The idea wound be to give a fuckload (his words) of money for assistants and support staff. I feel a lot better after that conversation. 

thanks for the info but whatever

4 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, did the kid recover from his head injury?

I don't know about him, but I feel like driving a 12 inch spike through my forehead after this coaching search. It is bad enough to have relatives in Columbus. Now I have relatives in Columbus laughing at me while their team steals the top Texas high school talent. I'm ready to move back to California and take up surfing.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I don't know about him, but I feel like driving a 12 inch spike through my forehead after this coaching search. It is bad enough to have relatives in Columbus. Now I have relatives in Columbus laughing at me while their team steals the top Texas high school talent. I'm ready to move back to California and take up surfing.

spicoli1.jpg

26 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I’m out here in California.  Bring your wetsuit    Water is cold out here

35 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Talked to a friend, it sounds like there could be a coalition for Matt Campbell. The idea wound be to give a fuckload (his words) of money for assistants and support staff. I feel a lot better after that conversation. 

Right now just the tip is in.  But earlier I wasn’t even going to drop my draws 

• Hook 'Em 1

“Fuckload of money for assistants and support staff”

what is different than what we did for Herman or even strong then? They both got new coordinators in efforts to make them better. Had plenty of money. I hate money being thrown as some reason to make us feel better. We’ve always thrown money at assistants and support staff and we are still here. My comment has nothing to do with Campbell vs Herman, but to say money alleviates any worries with Campbell is dumb

Just now, closetohumping said:

Saw that thrown around at IT.  He has been successful everywhere except Michigan.   

Seems like I read somewhere that his big problem there is Michigan's entrance requirements are higher than the Big 10 minimum.

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

“Fuckload of money for assistants and support staff”

what is different than what we did for Herman or even strong then? They both got new coordinators in efforts to make them better. Had plenty of money. I hate money being thrown as some reason to make us feel better. We’ve always thrown money at assistants and support staff and we are still here. My comment has nothing to do with Campbell vs Herman, but to say money alleviates any worries with Campbell is dumb

I think we are way behind on support infrastructure.  Look at the accomplishments of those people who UM was supposedly needing to come with him.  While I am sure Bryan Carrington is a good dude, he is not what these top schools have for a recruiting coordinator.  I also think that I saw that we are not even in the top 10 on assistant salaries.  

Interesting article I dug up that plays into this conversation...

Power Ranking the Best Recruiters in College Football (2014)

1. Jeremy Pruitt (UGA)
  2. Frank Wilson (LSU)
  3. Chip West (Virginia)
  4. Damenyune Craig (Auburn)
  5. Bryan McCLendon (UGA)
  6. Kirby Smart (Bama)
  7. Tommy Thigpen (Tenn)
  8. Luke Fickell (tOSU)
  9. Billy Napier (Bama)
  10. Kendall Briles (Baylor)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1932859-power-ranking-the-best-recruiters-in-college-football

Edited by CenTex Hill Billy
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, CTC2 said:

I think we are way behind on support infrastructure.  Look at the accomplishments of those people who UM was supposedly needing to come with him.  While I am sure Bryan Carrington is a good dude, he is not what these top schools have for a recruiting coordinator.  I also think that I saw that we are not even in the top 10 on assistant salaries.  

I just don’t see how money helps when Campbell is gonna be likely to bring the guys he’s already working with or knows. Unless this is some CDC GM shit and they go hire his coordinators. 

to be fair, the OC and DC are first year hires. I doubt they would get paid as well as coordinators that have more tenure at some schools. And if we can’t get money for support staff...are we even Texas?

56 minutes ago, satyanash said:

We're gonna need more tight ends 😐 Campbell.uses his TEs every which way and loves to motion them all over the place.

Jatavion Sanders would be a top ten pick at TE in that offense. Hell Wiley could be a first rounder as well...

7 minutes ago, CenTex Hill Billy said:

Interesting article I dug up that plays into this conversation...

Power Ranking the Best Recruiters in College Football (2014)

1. Jeremy Pruitt (UGA)
  2. Frank Wilson (LSU)
  3. Chip West (Virginia)
  4. Damenyune Craig (Auburn)
  5. Bryan McCLendon (UGA)
  6. Kirby Smart (Bama)
  7. Tommy Thigpen (Tenn)
  8. Luke Fickell (tOSU)
  9. Billy Napier (Bama)
  10. Kendall Briles (Baylor)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1932859-power-ranking-the-best-recruiters-in-college-football

You mean Kendall "You like white girls?" Briles is on the list?

3 minutes ago, Cashcar said:

If you hire Campbell, there has to be strict oversight on who he brings / hires. Herman would be alot further along if he didnt fuck around and bring buddies like Warehime and Meh.

The problem is a bit of a catch 22. If Campbell lets CDC play armchair quarterback and help pick his coaches, he is not the right guy. However, if we let Campbell choose and he wants his guys from fucking Iowa St., we are fucked.

Edited by Bevo

If you hire Campbell, there has to be strict oversight on who he brings / hires. Herman would be alot further along if he didnt fuck around and bring buddies like Warehime and Meh.

Tom had some tough losses too.  A part of this is buttersweet.   Tom should’ve worked out.  Plus Tom came from a tough upbringing.  Alcoholic dad.  I really think some of his attitude he just can’t help

Learned our lesson I guess? Don’t blame the HC...blame his assistants

52 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

This is my ideal situation as well. I’m sure he would want a couple guys with him but I’d imagine Iowa st would want to promote one of his coordinators to take his place. I don’t think Campbell is a star type coach that’s exciting like Riley or Urbam but I think he could at minimum replicate what Brian Kelly has done at Notre Dame. My biggest question was about recruiting but if the staff is in place that alleviates some concerns plus winning is the biggest cure all...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Cashcar said:

That's not what I'm saying. We hired Herman as an inexperienced coach and he required some oversight in terms of assistant hires. Generally people reach for what is comfortable versus taking risks...

I mean the other side of that is those assistants have gotten Campbell where he is. There is no guarantee that other assistants will work as well with him. We haven’t done shit to tell Herman what he can and can’t do and instead have allowed him to basically fire a complete staff to replace them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

This is my ideal situation as well. I’m sure he would want a couple guys with him but I’d imagine Iowa st would want to promote one of his coordinators to take his place. I don’t think Campbell is a star type coach that’s exciting like Riley or Urbam but I think he could at minimum replicate what Brian Kelly has done at Notre Dame. My biggest question was about recruiting but if the staff is in place that alleviates some concerns plus winning is the biggest cure all...

I'm just not seeing it. He ain't stopping Bama from paying big money for Waddle and he ain't got the clout to bring in 5 star talent over Riley, Day, and Swinney. But, we can revisit it in 4 years. This time it will be different.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I mean the other side of that is those assistants have gotten Campbell where he is. There is no guarantee that other assistants will work as well with him. We haven’t done shit to tell Herman what he can and can’t do and instead have allowed him to basically fire a complete staff to replace them. 

And that’s the issue.  Herm came with the “dance with the ones who brought you to the dance” but go hire the best damnit

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Wiley, liebrock, and start Jatavion as a freshman, crisis averted. If we use TE’s a bunch it’s possible we stop letting them go to fucking tree, aggy, and blOwU every year. I’m coming out of my depression already satya! Your pessimism cured me, how about that lol. 

17 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

Seems like I read somewhere that his big problem there is Michigan's entrance requirements are higher than the Big 10 minimum.

And he made some bad bad hires. Like not even interviewing his OC (forget his name) and just spoke with him on the phone and hired him supposedly. 

Here is a good analysis of the state of the program. 

As to the question, "Well, do you want killer good recruiters or do you want assistant coaches who can develop talent?" Looking at the above list, both Georgia and Alabama have two assistants on the recruiter list and they put plenty of guys in the league, so they've obviously figured out how to do both. But if you force me to choose, I take the rainmakers. Just get the talent in here; we'll figure it out after they get here.